Who's been caught taking spirits onboard?

crazydizzymoo

Maybe Princess knows that people who like to enjoy a drink in their cabin or on the balcony are probably the ones who also will buy wine with dinner and also purchase drinks in one of the lounges? This is what we do and that is why we choose Princess.

A poll would be really handy, but DH and I are thinking about being naughty and taking our favourite scotch on board. Not to avoid buying drinks but just to guarantee our favourite scotch is there for a nightcap. (It's hard enough to get in the UK, let alone on a cruise!)

Simple question- who has been caught and what happens?

I know these topics usually end in a discussion about alcohol generally. Please just let me know what happens if alcohol is found.

Thank you all

Becky

PS. Cruise critic is my newbie cruiser Bible!

You're fine bringing it on board when you first embark. Go for it. Buying liquor in the ports is where it will likely be confiscated until the last night. Regarding some of the other comments.... I think beer is what may eventually cause enforcement changes here. The porters and stewards having to lug around a case of beer is way different than a liter of two of your favorite hooch.

Thank you for all your responses, it's really interesting to read but nobody's actually told me about being caught! It is really encouraging to hear all these positive experiences although I'm still in the dark about what happens if you are caught.

PS. Sorry for inadvertantly causing arguments!

Thank you for all your responses, it's really interesting to read but nobody's actually told me about being caught! It is really encouraging to hear all these positive experiences although I'm still in the dark about what happens if you are caught.

The only thing that happens if you're caught is the contraband is held until the last day of the cruise and then it's returned to you.

The only thing that happens if you're caught is the contraband is held until the last day of the cruise and then it's returned to you.

and there's no stigma, nobody knows, no black mark against your name? I know this is silly but it's our first cruise, I think we'll be younger than most other cruisers, and I don't want to look cheap or like alchys! It's our dream holiday and I don't want it to start badly.

I agree with many of the other posters. I just got off the Emerald on Sept 12 and what we did was stopped at Total Wine which is just a few minutes from the FFL port. Picked up some Gin and tonic and a case of water. Put the Gin in the luggage along with the tonic and slapped a luggage tag on the water and it all came through fine. ( There were people outside total wine who saw this and then went back in and purchased a case of water also. They loved the idea!!!)Princess is one of the more lienient (spelling) ships. Also it is true that in Port the wine or booze will be put aside for you and dropped off at your cabin on the last night. I had that done (and expected it) when I picked up some Gin along the way (for home consumption). Just dont make a big deal of it and please purchase a few drinks along the way from the Bars.. Crooners is one of my favorite places to go..... Just because they are lienient should not mean we take advantage and not purchase anything in the bars.....

Enjoy your cruise

Teri

I agree with many of the other posters. I just got off the Emerald on Sept 12 and what we did was stopped at Total Wine which is just a few minutes from the FFL port. Picked up some Gin and tonic and a case of water. Put the Gin in the luggage along with the tonic and slapped a luggage tag on the water and it all came through fine. ( There were people outside total wine who saw this and then went back in and purchased a case of water also. They loved the idea!!!)Princess is one of the more lienient (spelling) ships. Also it is true that in Port the wine or booze will be put aside for you and dropped off at your cabin on the last night. I had that done (and expected it) when I picked up some Gin along the way (for home consumption). Just dont make a big deal of it and please purchase a few drinks along the way from the Bars.. Crooners is one of my favorite places to go..... Just because they are lienient should not mean we take advantage and not purchase anything in the bars.....

Enjoy your cruise

Teri

I can't imagine not buying drinks at the bar and wine for dinner. If we do decide to take alcohol on board it would only so we can have a pre dinner drink/ night cap on our balcony. I'd never take alcohol we bought on outside of our cabin and I don't imagine we'll be spending loads of time in our cabin.

Plus which I've heard that the cocktails- frou frou and classic are brilliant! Anyone know how the cosmos are? or which is the best bar for them?

Hi crazydizzymoo,

I think if I was so worried, I would leave the good stuff at home and instead, I would try some nice scotch in the bars as a daily treat. Not sure what's available in the bars but you can order bottles and mixers for your cabin from room service. Here's a link to what's on offer. Not too bad value really.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

You want your first cruise to be the least stress as possible. Boarding for the first time is so exciting it would be a shame to spoil it by worrying. You will have a great cruise with Princess :D

and there's no stigma, nobody knows, no black mark against your name? I know this is silly but it's our first cruise, I think we'll be younger than most other cruisers, and I don't want to look cheap or like alchys! It's our dream holiday and I don't want it to start badly.

If it's in your checked baggage it's highly unlikely that you'll even be stopped for bringing it onboard, so it shouldn't be a problem there. Even in the extremely rare case that they do decide to pull it from your bag, nothing long-term will come of it. If it's in your carry-on and they do decide to enforce the policy (which does happen from time-to-time), the only thing you'll run into is a little embarassment when you're pulled from the line to have it set aside until the end of the cruise. There's no lasting effect, you don't get your name put on a list of naughty cruisers anywhere.

Other than having to wear a "B" (for booze smuggler) for three days, there is no other punishment.

Topic Is: Who's been caught taking spirits onboard?

The responses are from those who brag about "not" being caught!

Okay I guess I'll be the 1st to fess up. YES, we were "caught" once.

Since DH uses Bailey Irish Cream in his morning coffee when we travel I used to alway pack a full bottle of it in our hand luggage. Now this was before 9/11 and never had a problem with the airlines. We were sailing out of San Juan and the bottle showed up on Princess's scanner. The fellow scanning my luggage sent me over to another small table and some gal asked of me "is that a bottle of wine?". Well since it wasn't (it's Irish whiskey and cream based liqueur) I answered "no". She then advised me she would have to take the bottle and it would be returned the last evening of the cruise. She did, it was, and that's the end of my story.

Never happened before than or since.

Sorry to disagree but last week at port the folks in front of us at the scanner had their hard liquor confiscated under protest. They were told it would be given back on Saturday.

Was it in a liquor box from the port?That is the only time I have seen it asked for.If it was put in a different bag or a purse,it would never be taken.

Was it in a liquor box from the port?That is the only time I have seen it asked for.If it was put in a different bag or a purse,it would never be taken.

I've seen them ask for the hard liquor that wasn't in a bag or box getting back from port a few times. I know they asked for my mom's baileys that was just at the bottom of her beach bag once.

again, checked luggage NEVER a problem :)

We were sailing out of San Juan and the bottle showed up on Princess's scanner. The fellow scanning my luggage sent me over to another small table and some gal asked of me "is that a bottle of wine?". Well since it wasn't (it's Irish whiskey and cream based liqueur) I answered "no". She then advised me she would have to take the bottle and it would be returned the last evening of the cruise. She did, it was, and that's the end of my story.

Things must have changed in San Juan since then as there is a liquor store at the terminal and many passengers report stocking up before starting their cruise there.

The last three Princess Cruises that I have been on I have packed some of 'the hard stuff' in my checked in luggage, and there was no problem at all.

Did I read right that if you bought a bottle of wine at any port, you can take that to your cabin?

Okay I guess I'll be the 1st to fess up. YES, we were "caught" once.

Since DH uses Bailey Irish Cream in his morning coffee when we travel I used to alway pack a full bottle of it in our hand luggage. Now this was before 9/11 and never had a problem with the airlines. We were sailing out of San Juan and the bottle showed up on Princess's scanner. The fellow scanning my luggage sent me over to another small table and some gal asked of me "is that a bottle of wine?". Well since it wasn't (it's Irish whiskey and cream based liqueur) I answered "no". She then advised me she would have to take the bottle and it would be returned the last evening of the cruise. She did, it was, and that's the end of my story.

Never happened before than or since.

You have just settled all my fears, thank you for sharing your dark past with me.:p

We've been "caught" once also. :o It was in San Juan, PR which was a port of call on our roundtrip from New York City cruise on the Caribbean Princess. We had already purchased some bottles of liquor and had no problem walking back onboard with them. They went through the scanner, we picked them up and walked into the ship. Later, we went back to get another couple of bottles (prices were pretty good!) and a box so that we could get our bottles home. I think it was the box that made them truly investigate what was in the bags and they confiscated those two bottles. But that was it... the only time it's happened to us.

We have soft sided rolling duffels and I have seen them at the bottom of the Princess Pile when they delivered them. I can only imagine how they pile them up in the hold. It is a concern for me which is why I pack glass bottles which are more crush proof than soft plastic. Again, just my opinion!!

You really should actually have held a rum runner before you repeat again and again wrong and un-useful information. Rum runners are not soft plastic, they are hard but semi-flexible plastic. I have had a bottle of wine broken by cruise ship baggage handlers, I have used the same 1 liter rum runner for the last 5 years or so, and have travelled by all forms of travel all over the world. They will not break if crushed by a stack 10 high of suitcases. The key to using a rumrunner is to make sure the lid is on tight, and avoid knife attacks. That said, knife attacks are pretty rare, and I always use a waterproof dry bag for any liquid placed in luggage, no matter if it is a bottle of glass, of plastic or can.

jc

You really should actually have held a rum runner before you repeat again and again wrong and un-useful information. Rum runners are not soft plastic, they are hard but semi-flexible plastic. I have had a bottle of wine broken by cruise ship baggage handlers, I have used the same 1 liter rum runner for the last 5 years or so, and have travelled by all forms of travel all over the world. They will not break if crushed by a stack 10 high of suitcases. The key to using a rumrunner is to make sure the lid is on tight, and avoid knife attacks. That said, knife attacks are pretty rare, and I always use a waterproof dry bag for any liquid placed in luggage, no matter if it is a bottle of glass, of plastic or can.

jc

I don't care if you use rum runners. I am just saying I have never had a glass bottle broke and it is fact that a glass bottle has more compressive strength than a soft or hard plastic bottle. That is NOT inaccurate information.. end of story.

jc

You should know by now that a bottle will do better than a rumrunner in all knife attacks. :rolleyes::D

Archived