Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Glad you all enjoyed the photos. As I mentioned not my best ones as I seemed to be having some setting issues that I couldn't resolve:(

In your dining room group photo...is that a dress made for you from your African fabric? The blue with the border on the hem? Is that from the medallions on the brown fabric? I'm so sorry that I never responded to that text...we were in Vero Beach at the time and after we returned home, I honestly didn't remember about it...and then when I did finally see it again, it seemed way too late to respond... Anyway, I think that is such a smart use of the medallion! (if it is that) The dress looks very nice and seems to fit you well. I like the fit and flare style on you!

Anita,

Yep, that's the fabric. I played around for ages trying to decide what to do with the medallion. I just found that I couldn't make the whole medallion work wherever I placed it. I was browsing online for dress patterns and found this one specifically designed to accommodate a contrasting border. I loved the fit and flare look and I thought it would be a good fit for the African fabric medallion.It does wrinkle a lot though. I think my friend from church did a good job sewing it. I'm so glad you like it, I really appreciate your stamp of approval! IRL, the blue fabric of the main part of the dress pulls out the blue in the African print, it just doesn't show well in the photo. The dress also went well with the handmade bracelet I brought back from Tanzania too I thought. I also paired my elephant earrings with it to make a total African look. Again, IRL I think it all looked much better than the photo.

Debbie is a magician with scarves, isn't she!!! I never know what to do with them.

and I must admit I was also intrigued by the ship photos.

Eclipse is an S-class ship right? I haven't been on one of those. I'm completely taken aback by the pool deck shot. What in the world are those tent like things on the deck? Very fun to have the ship still be decked out for Christmas.

I "think" those awning like things were reserved for suite guests only. The ship really looked nice decorated for Christmas. They didn't leave it all up for the entire cruise. As soon as we were done with our CC embarkation lunch, I headed off to search for interesting photos before the ship got busy and full. One of my favorite things to do as soon as we board.

I'm loving the dress from the first formal night. Is it a long dress or a short dress?

Laurie,

I think that dress was also prettier IRL than the photo. It was a long dress and was very easy to pack and wear. I loved it. I found it for $19 :D

I love wearing dresses each night. There is something about the elegance of the dining room that I just really like to dress nicer for. It doesn't have to be formal attire every night, but I love wearing dresses and feeling like I put a little extra effort in.

You know, it's funny. I grew up a tomboy and still am somewhat but, I LOVE to dress up on our cruises! It's like I'm reliving my youth where I didn't play dress up as a kid but I am now. I also usually only wear dresses to Mass when here at home and it's fun to wear them each night on a cruise. It's the one time when I don't pay much attention to how much I pack. This cruise we took 1 checked bag, 1 dive bag and 1 carry-on for a 6 night cruise + 2 days in Ft. Lauderdale. When we went to Africa both times, each time for 16 days, we each took a carry-on and a back pack only.

I am not as good at accessorizing as you but, I make an effort. Plus I am a super frugal shopper and only purchase bargains, so that usually limits my choices. I do think that for what I spend I do a really good job on choices most of the time.

In all of my cruises, and I believe I'm about to embark on number ten, my favorite excursion by far was swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. I was scared at first for so many different reasons, but we left the island feeling totally in awe of the experience. As a matter of fact, my husband and daughters felt the same.

I have swam with the stingrays before but, my husband hadn't (it's only his 3rd cruise. Bless his heart, he stayed home with the kids while my Mom, sister and I cruised while Mom was alive!) and I thought it would be a fun excursion for him as well as Debbie and her DH. We had a lot of fun. I am always a bit leery around wildlife as they are WILD and a can be unpredictable but I think this is a great excursion.

We're on 14-night Eclipse to A,B,C islands in Nov 17. Been to A & C several times I'll let you know.

Melody,

I will be anxious to hear what you think of Bonaire. I know we are going to dive there but, not sure what else we might do too.

Edited by Joby

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I’m finally going to take the time to share my thoughts about our cruise. It was very relaxing since Kim did all the planning and all we needed to do was ask each evening what time we needed to be ready for the next day’s excursions. Normally, I’m the planner for family/friend excursions. Thanks again, Kim! We wouldn’t have changed a thing!

Swimming with the stingrays off Grand Cayman was fun, but even Ms. Kim SuperPlanner didn’t expect we’d be part of a wedding on the catamaran. We were even included in sparkling drinks and chocolates! Kim and DH showing us a totally different Cozumel than we’d ever seen and getting to snorkel while we were there was icing on the cake especially since I’m not comfortable in the water unless my feet are touching bottom. My DH enjoyed the ruins of Costa Maya almost as much as I enjoyed a day of reading and room service on our balcony.

I don’t think I’ll try to plan future cruises immediately after Christmas again. I didn’t experience my pre-cruise excitement because I was caught up in holiday activities. I agree with Laurie that the pre-cruise activities of planning outfits and accessories expands the fun timetable enormously. While it’s not MORE fun than the actual cruise, planning and preparation definitely comes very close to equally fun for me.

Laurie, I notice you are cruise planning on the EARTH thread. I like your choices. I’ve worn leggings with success under longer tunics that almost look like a short dress. Sometimes, either a tighter silhouette skort or pencil skirt that ends exactly in the bend of your knee will work too. I really like the print top.

Thanks for the comments about my scarves. The yellow dress was definitely True Spring instead of Light Spring and I wanted to tone it down a little with lighter colors near my face. The scarf that I wore was large enough to use as a shawl, but the dining room wasn’t nearly as cool as some I’ve been in. I tied the knots in the front because it gathered the material together and gave it something to do instead of ballooning out from “the DD girls” and making me look as wide as I am tall. I thought my plan worked rather well but, after seeing the picture, would have preferred to put the scarf off my shoulders. Why can’t they have mirrors across from where you take pictures so that you can SEE what you look like and make adjustments before the photo is snapped? It should be a rule or something.

Rule: Every ship floor has a mirrored wall parallel to a photo op wall centrally located and noted on the ship’s map.

Yes, Anita, the magic scarf came along on this cruise. When it was new, it had elastic woven in two parallel lines from one end to the other. The stretch is almost gone, so the scarf has gotten much longer. I have more magic to wrap and design now!

Kim’s dresses were spectacular. It seemed that every evening I was saying, “Wow, I really like that dress!” The long coral dress for our dressier night was perfect. The dress with the African print border flattered and fit her like a glove.

My DGD absolutely LOVES flamingos. While Kim and DH are planning to dive in Bonaire, my DH and I plan to rent a golf cart and drive the island. If anyone has ever seen flamingos on Bonaire, please let me know where. I understand we will have a map and that’s my main goal for this cruise. Whenever my DD and SIL decide she’s old enough to go with us, I plan to take DGD to see flamingos in the wild if at all possible. I’d appreciate any help.

My DGD absolutely LOVES flamingos. While Kim and DH are planning to dive in Bonaire, my DH and I plan to rent a golf cart and drive the island. If anyone has ever seen flamingos on Bonaire, please let me know where. I understand we will have a map and that’s my main goal for this cruise. Whenever my DD and SIL decide she’s old enough to go with us, I plan to take DGD to see flamingos in the wild if at all possible. I’d appreciate any help.

http://www.tourismbonaire.com/sightseeing/pekelmeer-flamingo-sanctuary

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147267-d148292-Reviews-Flamingo_Sanctuary-Bonaire.html

Flamingos do migrate in some places, so you will have to check on the time of year you're visiting and what their pattern is. I think they mostly migrate when they live in colder areas than Bonaire, so that may be a permanent colony.

Edited by MJC

Anita, those tent like things are just a shaded bed area on the main pool deck, they are open to anyone, first come. I always try to get one to cut the sun glare. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the correction, Melody :) I thought that I heard someone on the ship say they were for suite guests only. I really never ventured up to see them.

Swimming with the stingrays off Grand Cayman was fun, but even Ms. Kim SuperPlanner didn’t expect we’d be part of a wedding on the catamaran. We were even included in sparkling drinks and chocolates! Kim and DH showing us a totally different Cozumel than we’d ever seen and getting to snorkel while we were there was icing on the cake especially since I’m not comfortable in the water unless my feet are touching bottom. My DH enjoyed the ruins of Costa Maya almost as much as I enjoyed a day of reading and room service on our balcony.

We had a great time with you guys, Debbie! A foursome of country bumpkins ;)

Can't wit until our next cruise!

Kim, the covered cabanas on the lawn are only available if you pay for them (but anyone can reserve). The weird teepee looking beds by the pool are open to anyone, first come first served (& are really comfortable)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, Margaret! I've been reading TripAdvisor and the Bonaire section here on CC, as well as a few internet sites. Posted comments seem such a mixed bag of did/did not see flamingos. I should have clarified that I wanted first-hand knowledge from someone that reads here and could tell me where they've personally seen flamingos in the wild on the island. Have you toured Pekelmeer Flamingo Sanctuary or Gotomeer and seen flamingos? It seems they are at opposite ends of the island and I'd like my odds to be better than 50/50 that we will see flamingos.

• 1 month later...

I haven’t read or posted in such a very long time. It’s time we kicked the FIRE thread back into gear.

Kim, I still haven’t seen your bike. I’m very much interested since it’s becoming a distinct possibility that I’ll need a bike for camping season this year. Both littles will be on wheels and I may need to have my own to be able to monitor them. Please try again.

Margaret, I’d really like to know if you’ve seen flamingos in real life on Bonaire. I’ve read the links you sent along with others I’ve found but have conflicting results. Thanks for your help.

As I mentioned on the EARTH thread, we recently took a couple of three-day weekend trips. Both were very casual jeans only weekends,but I thought I’d share my fashion-related news from the trips.

I love “Wear a Pair, Take a Pair”weekends. I wore a pair of stretch boot-cut jeans, a new ¾-sleeved cotton T, a gray zip hoodie and zip-shortie boots. I packed a short-sleeved v-neck T and jean leggings for the hotel, a pair of stretch straight-cut jeans, a new ¾-sleeved cotton T, a hooded and lined trench, and my charcoal crocodile patent loafers.

I’d never ordered from Joule, but would gladly order from them again. They will definitely be winter weight for me, but the nice thick cotton Ts that I used to buy from LandsEnd are what I received. I was very impressed and the colors were exactly as pictured on my monitor. I knew the gray-fading to hot pink was light summer rather than light spring, but I’m beginning to wear more gray because my hair is naturally getting grayer, so I’m working to that end in my tops. Here’s the link for the two ¾ sleevedcotton Ts:

https://www.joulesusa.com/Women/Tops/Harbour/Jersey-Top/Navy-Multi?id=V_HARBOUR|NVYPMUT

https://www.joulesusa.com/Women/Tops/Harbour/Jersey-Top/Pink-Ombre?id=V_HARBOUR|PNKOMBR

I’ve not been shopping much at all recently. I have a list (sort-of) in my mind and if I happen across something, I don’t deny my little wanty-self, but realize that I do not truly Need any clothes. I have plenty. I try to find end-of-the-season bargains, but when you are working with my size, my larger chest and apple shape, my colors,and my style energy, it keeps my purchases down simply because there isn’t much to choose from when I’m looking. Winner-winner for Debbie! That’s why this last trip was soooo much fun!

We stopped at Bass-Pro Shop in Nashville, TN, because it’s the closest one to us and DH seems to always have a gift card/store credit to spend. It’s a good place to potty break and stretch,so I went in to try to hurry him along and walked through the ladies clearance. I scored! Came out with:

This navy coat. Wow! It is the warmest and lightest weight coat I’ve ever owned. I debated because the color isn’t FIREy at all, but DH said he liked it and the cut is fabulously flattering on me, so I got it:

http://www.columbia.com/mighty-lite-hooded-jacket-%7C-591-%7C-xs-888664225898.html?gclid=COXNkLGk2dICFUO4wAodPUQE_Q&mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+PLA+US&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!93373195407!!!g!61865531738!&ef_id=WLWOoQAABay5ZQrC:20170315195144:s

and I bought my first piece of Under Armour. Quite a few years ago, I read what a really nice lady (Janice Riggs) wrote about wearing logo items. I agree whole-heartedly. If I’m wearing someone’s name on my clothes besides my own, and that’s happened rarely in my lifetime, I’d better begetting paid to advertise for them and not the other way around. However, with that said, I love the color of this long-sleeved T and the fit could Not be more flattering on me if I’d had it tailored to fit me. It is perfect.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/04605/womens-under-armour-tech-long-sleeve-twist/?cc=723&s=L&sc=C6X1A110&cm_mmc=psearch-_-google-_-Shopping_Under_Armour_Shoes-_-d4d976e4-74e0-4e1d-afba-73a436d5d72e

Oh, I’m not finished. My shopping continued. We were to eat a chuckwagon-style breakfast Sunday morning in the parking lot of Stages West, so I researched the store to know where to park, etc. and discovered that they sold boots. I’ve wanted to replace my Frye boots since my foot got bigger (along with the rest of me) after the kids were born. I Love. The. Smell. Of. Leather. Brings back memories of my father raising, training and showing Tennessee Walking Horses. Love the smell of leather. I was gusty enough to ask a family member the brand of her boots on our previous long-weekend trip and discovered Stages West sold that brand. When DH asked if I had anywhere I’d like to go and look around since the Chuckwagon Cookoff was obviously for him, I told him I’d like to look at boots. He was such a trooper, bless his heart. I’m not a quick shopper. I can be a heck-of-a-quick browser, but when I know I’m going to purchase, it takes an enormously long time especially if it involves my feet.

I tried on ladies shoes for quite a while, then packed a very pretty pair of 7-1/2 wides to the back of the store to look at the kids sizes. I’ve discovered I can wear girls size 6 easier than ladies 7, 7-1/2 or 8s because they are wider. The nice, young lady in the kids department asked if she could help me and I told her I thought I wanted to try on a pair of boys boots to see if they’d work better. She asked what size I wore and I had to admit that I didn’t really buy for length but had always bought for width. She measured my feet and now I understand why! My foot measured as a 5 instead of a 6. Width? Knowing that B is considered medium and C is a wide, even I was amazed that I measured between a D and E. How crazy is that? I have an extremely wide foot with a narrow heel, a high arch and a tall/wide whatever that part is across the top of my foot. She told me if we could get the size right and she thought that was a 5, that they could stretch those boots until I could wear them. Bless her heart, she did too! It took more times back and forth than I can remember, but I came home with boots that fit my foot! DH kept saying that he thought I should get the ladies boots, but they were at least 2 inches too long. He told me that I shouldn’t settle for a plain pair of boy’s boots if that wasn’t what I wanted. (The ladies boots were really pretty with turquoise stitching.) So I didn’t. I bought a pair of Ariat boys boots to have a pair of boots AND a pair of dressy Corral girls boots. They offered ladies sizes of the Corral boots I bought. Well, except mine were $100 cheaper!

https://www.stageswest.com/ariat-heritage-big-kids-r-toe-western-boot-distressed-brown.html

https://www.stageswest.com/corral-girls-crater-bone-embroidered-western-boot.html

This was a really good weekend. I’m amazed at my bounty. Payback for planning a good weekend trip especially for DH, I guess. Maybe I need to find somewhere else he’d like to go, hmmmm?

Debbie,

Glad you posted!! I sure miss our chatter here on the FIRE thread!

You are gonna be a boot scootin' mamma! I got some new booties--been thinking about them for a long while and found them on a good sale and bit the bullet. I love them. They are actually cuter on that the picture I think.

3603955-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

What has everyone been up to? Any trips planned?

Sorry, Kim, like Melody, I still can't see the bike, but LOVE those booties. I love the strap & buckle detail, the dual colors and the baby wedge. Everything!

I have no cruises planned until February 2018, but camping season begins for us in two weeks. The storms that came through a couple of weeks ago destroyed our awnings, so the camper is going in the shop next week for repairs. Because we will probably pick the camper up from the shop and take it directly to the campground, I'm cleaning and stocking what I can this week. Bedding, extra blankets and throws have given my washer and dryer a workout this weekend, but it's much easier to take everything IN the camper than haul it there later.

Extra outfits for the grands have been waded through for fit and function. They grow like weeds, but I like to keep a few clothes for them in case they are needed. Their mother always packs plenty of clothes when they visit, but I'd rather they grind mud into something I can wash, repair or replace. I love to see them have fun in the great outdoors.

My camping wardrobe is very casual. I always take a cool-to-cold weather long weekend capsule (at least 3 days), a warm-to-hot long weekend capsule, and two complete wear-to-work outfits. We spend Sunday nights at the campground occasionally and drive directly to work on Monday mornings from the camper. If we decide on the spur of the moment to drive up after work during the week, I'd rather plan now and be prepared. Once I have my side of the wardrobe loaded, I wash, rinse and repeat and/or replace with different choices when we return. I have a few nice skorts from Talbots that work double duty at the campground and can be used as a skirt with a nicer top and shoes for work.

I'm not sure if my cruise wardrobe planning has bled over into my everyday life or the other way around.

Melody,

Have fun on your B2B :)

Debbie,

That's funny, we have a cruise planned for February 2018 too!!! :eek:

I can't for the life of me figure out why you all can't see the bike photo. It always shows up on my screen on this site. What in the world can I do to let you guys see it??????? Not that it's that important, it's now just the fact that I've tried so many times and I see but, you guys don't and it bugs me to death. :mad:

I really love my new booties. Now, let's hope they're in style for the next 5 years.

Melody, a b2b sounds wonderful right now. It's rained the last two afternoons and when fronts roll in, I ache from morning alarm until the atmosphere settles. The Caribbean cruises are heavenly. No fronts, just nice warm sunshine and gentle breezes. Who am I kidding? A cruise always sounds wonderful!!! How's the leg mending?

Kim, I'm still reading up on flamingos. My BFF is leaving next week for an 11 day cruise with family that includes the ABCs. She's on a mission to see flamingos too and will fill me in when she returns. Otherwise, plan us up, girlfriend! February will be here before you know it.

The icon shown for the bike is always a broken picture icon. Does that mean the link is broken? I went back to the earlier posts and it says that my access is denied. Do you need to make something public? I'm absolutely no help.

My name is Debbie. I sit at a computer all day and I am computer illiterate. How's that for making a person feel good about themselves.

So Debbie, does that mean that you got a site this year for camping? I thought last year that you didn't make the draw... or maybe you got one from being an alternate? Trying to remember...

Kim...it looks like you are just copying and pasting the picture into your post. You can do that and see it because your computer has it somehow. I bet if you were to log on to the forum from a different computer, you also wouldn't be able to see it. Where did you find the picture?

I'm looking forward to Nachi Cocum twice in two weeks! Grilled grouper, yum! 37 days!!!

Foot is progressing very slowly, I'm a go go go person & my foot is saying take a break, sigh. 4bc7401897fa5844bc46d9ad0b1e216d.jpg. This is some of the titanium that was removed from the foot due to my becoming allergic to pure titanium (yes, I'm one in a million [emoji849]). Hope I never need a hip or a knee. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dang! Melody! At least they used a nice FIREy green rod. DH's oldest tried to fly his Mustang through a woods several years ago and had a 12" rod with lots of screws inserted in his femur. He said removing all that was much more painful recovery than the original surgery. I hope your recovery is quick and as pain free as possible. Enjoy grilled grouper as often as possible. You've earned it, girl! --Debbie