Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

I have to give Anita credit for that solution . I noticed on the transatlantic she wore a lot of active wear and I thought what a great idea so now I always pack at least one outfit . They are great for lounging in your room or quick coffee runs .Thanks Anita !

First...To clarify...I didn't think you sounded sad...I said that it was kind of sad on my part to read it...because of course I hope that your travels are always wonderful and easy and relatively hassle-free just have to walk through and get through the process kind of days for the actual travel part...so it is a little sad to read how rough the travel days were for you. That's what I meant when I said it was kind of sad...

Second...I do like wearing active wear on the cruise. Partly because my wardrobe has been such a high percentage of active wear. For the TA I took with Mom and Dad, I wore so much active wear because I was determined to continue and keep up with my physical therapy while cruising...and I am pretty sure that I hit the gym all but 2 or 3 days during that entire cruise (but that includes the one port day...). However, I do usually travel in some form of active wear (yoga pant)...and I definitely think that active wear is among the best options to just put on first thing to grab the morning drink of choice and/or breakfast and then figure out the day...and if a change of clothing is needed. And I will always have active wear for the very reasons Melody posted.

The thought of lugging all that weight around...when you put it like that...is really, really awful sounding.

I have been using that eBag backpack "The Mother Lode" I think it's called, ever since deciding on it for the TA cruise and the Spring Break cruise just prior to that. It actually holds a tremendous amount. The dimensions are the same as what would be a typical 21-22" wheeled bag...but no wheels or hardware taking away from packable space.

Interestingly enough, taking a look at the specs...my backpack weighs 1 ounce under 4 pounds and Mom's 21" carry on only weighs 1 pound 10 ounces more... that IS a seriously lightweight bag! Anyway, I have taken to only packing what fits in that backpack and a tote (my "personal" item). I haven't had to travel in inclement weather so it has been totally do-able for the few trips that I have taken. I did some hard thinking before the purchase and at this point in my life...I do prefer to lug the back pack around as opposed to dealing with dragging a bag behind me and dealing with the ground, and curbs, and ramps, and whatever else...

Debbie, I'm sorry I never responded about the flamingoes, but it sounds like you will be getting advice from people who are actually going to Bonaire, which I never have. Having done trips where seeing particular wild animals is a big part of the motivation, I think Kim would agree that you have to stack the deck in your favor by having a local guide with specific knowledge of the animal's patterns, so you have the best odds of getting to where they are. Or, if you are going on your own, be flexible until the last possible moment if you have to choose one place or the other and can't visit both.

We saw flamingoes on two different islands in the Galapagos. They are a treat to see. Apparently they are very shy so we only saw them from a distance, but there were hundreds of them. I remember as a child going to the Sarasota Jungle Gardens that Sally mentioned, and they were habituated enough to just be wandering around among all the people.

I've been reading all this, and wasn't sure what to say when replying. The nice thing is, we are all different, yet respectful of one another. We're friends!

I'm definitely in the minority with a few of the recent topics though. I'm really not into athletic wear outside the gym. I think the exception is that I have a few Syracuse quarter zip style pullovers for when I need to cheer my team. Otherwise, I don't even wear leggings, even though I've tried. I do have a pair of jeggings, mostly worn at home. I thought about them being easier somehow, but when I compared, I just didn't see it. So, it's just not for me. But I totally get why people like to wear athleisure.

And I always get up, take a shower, get into my planned daytime outfit, including the jewelry, before I get my breakfast. I love going to Cafe Lattetudes when I'm onboard for a specialty coffee, but it has to wait until I'm ready for the day, lol.

And last but not least, I don't really know how you all do it with the packing and luggage. My longest trips have been 7 day cruises, where I fly down the day before. I will say I'm getting better though.I have found that packing cubes work great for certain items, and they really help me organize my suitcase and keep little things from being all over the place. I don't use them for shorts or dresses, but most of my tops, underclothes, gym wear, pajamas, etc. all get rolled and put into cubes now. I'm still trying to figure them out.

My choices are getting lighter too. Many of my dresses are much more lightweight than my previous choices.

I know that if I go on longer trips, I will have to really think about what I bring, and wash things in between. I will sometimes re-wear bottoms, as long as I didn't get really sweaty. It's awful....I am always thinking I need another shower. Is anyone else like this? I'm going to be 52 this year, and I don't really have hot flashes, just while I sleep. But I am always thinking like this.

Anyway, I hope no one sees this post as negative or argumentive. I wish sometimes I could be more casual than I am. It's just not me, you know? I'm learning to understand and deal with this much better though. It's okay to be different, I guess.

And Pam, I am literally giggling out loud at you singing about ordering an omelette in your active wear!

Laurie, your style is you. You work in a very structured environment & that does tend to roll into your personal style (even if you don't think it does.) As a protocol officer for the military I was very structured & treated work clothes (& that included a lot of formal wear) as my"uniform". I wouldn't have considered wearing gym clothes outside the gym. Now, I've been retired for 5 years & I've really relaxed. It is a definite change of mind set. I'm still an ironed, can't wear wrinkled things, drives me insane; probably why I'm so fond of Athleta skorts (never need ironing).

We don't fly for a trip of less than 14 days (preferably longer) since I retired. That is pure heaven.

I did bring out one of my work tuxedos to wear for formal night on this b2b but have opted to leave it home, it weighs too much. I love it (cobalt blue with sheer sleeves & pencil skirt) but it literally weighs as much as 3 other complete outfits, so it'll remain home till November (when I'm first class & have 3 suitcases each of 70 lbs apiece, I'm going heavy). Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Besides being retired living in Florida is all about casual. It is common to see people running their errands in tennis outfits or gym clothes .Laurie your style is you and frankly I wish I was more formal but I am not and never will be . Embrace your style it is what makes you special .

Laurie, your post just confirms what a caring person you are...how considerate you are of other's feelings. I didn't read it as negative or argumentative at all...

I think part of the whole scenario of waking up in the morning and how you approach the day has to do with general lifestyle spilling over into a vacation style. A retired person, and someone like myself that isn't necessarily required to go anywhere for the day except what I put on my own schedule, can generally wake up and head down to the kitchen in their pajamas (or whatever they choose to wear in the "public" areas of the house) and grab their breakfast and their coffee, and take their time over food and beverage to think about their day and what they are going to do with it. Literally, they can, because they likely don't have a huge demand on their time...they may have commitments and even things on the agenda, but these things generally begin in the later morning hours.

Of course, there are exceptions to that...everyone has to the set the alarm and get something done...but, I'm just talking IN GENERAL...

After what is hopefully a relaxing start to the day...and having formed a game plan of sorts...it could be time to hit the shower and get ready for the REST of the day...technically, the day may not have even started yet...that morning routine really being an extension of a night of sleeping and the sort of transition period into the active part of the day...

And so it is on vacation...except that pajamas (while some DO walk around ship in them...Sigh) are generally not what anyone wants to wear in public...and so active wear...or more aptly, ATHLEISURE, is the perfect solution to the leisurely morning routine...

I'm sure that your morning routine is more like my DH's, who has worked in an office location for years. Get up. Hit the shower. The shower is the transition period in a way. Get yourself ready for the day. Breakfast and maybe the commute is the time that you start to sort your day. It's the same thing in reverse... DH's shower is my breakfast. His breakfast/commute is my shower. It is during these activities that the kinds of mental transitions and projections on the day happen.

Now that DH works virtually when he is in town...he has found that he still needs that shower first thing. He needs that transition to get going on the day, otherwise, he doesn't really get into work mode until so much later in the day and he can't really afford to do that and work "normal hours".

I do think that there is a difference in some of what we are all talking about...for my part, there is GYM wear and there is ACTIVE wear, or again, ATHLEISURE. For instance, the Athleta skorts that Melody loves (I love my one!) are not anything that I would wear to a GYM...but I would be active OUTSIDE in it, walking, hiking, running, if I ran...which I don't, whatever was appropriate for being active and having the potential to work up a sweat. The material is suited for it, but I really knew that I was going to be "working out" then I likely wouldn't work out in my Athleta skort. But that is ACTIVE WEAR.

And I also prefer to keep my actual exercise shoes for exercise only. I would wear street sneakers or even sandals with my athleisure clothing. Whatever casual, comfortable shoe I have that is, again, appropriate for the amount of walking that I anticipate doing in whatever weather is happening.

Athleisure wear is really packable. It's lightweight. It's crushable with little effect. And it's generally compact, because it is generally stretchy and semi-fitted. An Athleta skort takes up a LOT less space than say a maxi skirt, even if it's a relatively slender flared A-line maxi...the skort is probably half the volume of the maxi. This makes a big difference in luggage.

Also...anything with hardware...like "normal" capris and shorts...will likely have buttons and zippers...belt loops...patch rear pockets...front pockets and a heavier weight fabric that a typical yoga pant (or capri)...so again...much less volume in packing Athleisure clothing.

That is how the luggage capacity can be so much smaller.

The same holds for Sally and her J.Jill clothing. It isn't technically active wear, but so much of that brand are easy wearing knit fabrics of various weights. Knits are just easier to pack period. By their very nature they are suited to bending and folding and not having the fibers retain that shape. Any woven fabric will naturally show a fold more than a knit. So packing those again, require a different approach if you care about wrinkles, etc.

For my part...my bathing my be a part of my bedtime routine. My mornings support my DS getting off to school. I hit the ground running in the morning...and lately, I've been able to carve out some "me time" before I have to wake him up because he has such an odd school schedule this semester. And because I may be doing my exercise soon after seeing him off...and I may be doing some sweaty work around the house...my shower may happen more after lunch!

Also...if you don't battle dry skin issues...then showering may be something that you do feel like doing more often. For someone that battles how drying out a shower can be...the thought isn't actually something that you want to do more than once a day. It's more like trying to time the shower for maximum effect...that is, after all the potentially dirtying and/or sweaty work is done for the day and the potential to be around others is greatest!:') And I'm speaking personally here... If you get out of the shower and feel great and all squeaky clean and happy, awesome...but showering can make me feel all tight skinned and even itchy at certain times of year. (I have figured this out so all is well...Mom found the best oil EVER...but still, must conserve the oil!)

Such a long post...I hope it isn't annoying...oh well, huh? It's here and I'm posting it!

Sally, I'm so excited for your TA. I don't recall...have you done a TA before, or is this your first?

If you like that sort of thing, I really recommend the thermal spa area. If it's like the TA we did, and the others that Mom has done, there should be a special of some sort offered on the first day or two. I don't know how many Sea Days you have, but going to the thermal spa is really wonderful.

This is the time that we should have been on our Spring Break cruise.:( Sadly, it just didn't work out...and now, it's a mixed bag as to whether having it would have been better versus not having it so DH can respond to the "emergency" at work. We found out on Thursday that he has to go to Germany this week. He leave tomorrow for 2 nights and then takes a red eye back Thursday night to arrive Friday. Ugh. I was so hoping we would get some vacation this Spring Break...he didn't even get any at Thanksgiving...and very little at Christmas. We've always been scramblers for vacation time and how to get enough to go on a vacation and now he has over 110 vacation hours in his bank...and sadly, we just can't get away.

Not to be a downer...I'm just really missing having a vacation on the books to look forward to! So everyone that is going MUST take photos and share so I can take some vicarious travel.:D

Laurie, your post just confirms what a caring person you are...how considerate you are of other's feelings. I didn't read it as negative or argumentative at all...

I think part of the whole scenario of waking up in the morning and how you approach the day has to do with general lifestyle spilling over into a vacation style.

I agree, Laurie, that you are very kind and diplomatic. I like Anita's point above. My mornings can be like Laurie's, or they can be like Anita's, depending on what the day will be like. That goes for cruise days, too.

Anita, I'm enjoying everyone else's cruise plans, too. Even though we have a cruise booked for the fall, in some ways I don't feel like I can invest too much time thinking about it without jinxing it. We are just in a place where anything we plan could be cancelled at the last minute because of my parents. My hope is that if I don't think about it too much, I won't be too disappointed if we can't go.

Anita , Your post really explained how packing knits allows me to fit a ton of clothes into one suitcase . This is my first TA . I have been to Europe on land trips but never on a ship . I actually think the land trips were easier to pack for because you got dressed once and that was it except occasionally . Our TA has eight sea days and then four port days before Barcelona . I have signed up for tours on all but one day so I am sure that by the time I return to the ship I will want to eat in the buffet and just chill out. We are then staying five days in Barcelona before flying home .

I hope you get a vacation at some point even a quick week end may be enough to just relax you .

Oh Pam. I feel bad for you about your flight experiences. Long flights are hard enough, but bad long flights… OMG.

We have been through that fumigation process three times now, in Australia, the Falkland Islands, and the Galapagos. They are all islands with fragile ecosystems that have struggled with species extinctions caused by foreign creatures brought in accidentally. Still, I was prepared for it… I imagine it was weird to see it for the first time with no warning. Usually the airline gives a warning ahead of time so the passengers don’t freak out.

Also, in the Falklands, every time we came ashore and everytime we reboarded we all had to step into a low tub of water to rinse our boots. No foreign dirt allowed, apparently.

Here are a couple of recommendations that you might find helpful. First, I never take a long flight without obsessing about our seats, and you can’t do that without SeatGuru. I make my plane reservations with this open on the computer, both when I book myself online and when I have my travel agent on the phone. You can at least avoid the seats with mystery stuff in the foot area, or ones that don’t recline. Super helpful. Too bad it doesn’t help with just plain awful airplanes or airlines. I also have the app on my phone. It recently came in handy when my flight from MI was cancelled and I was rebooked for later, so I could check out my new seat assignment.

https://www.seatguru.com

I am beyond cranky if I don’t eat. I plan ahead when and where we will have regular meals so I don’t go postal. I carry a tote bag onboard mainly for FOOD! And a water bottle. Always have my own full water bottle. I also want to know where meals are available at the airport, so I use GateGuru. Especially when you’re carting stuff, you don’t want to wander aimlessly looking for a place to eat. Again, I also have the app on my phone.

http://gateguru.com

Next, consider writing a letter and asking for compensation for the broken seat and the non-working IFE. DH likes aisle seats, along with every other big and tall guy, so they tend to have issues more often. He has gotten free drinks, mileage credit, and sometimes cash back on our credit card for complaining about broken things. JetBlue is especially good about this. Always write to the president of the company, don't bother with calling customer service.

Our second cruise, to Tahiti, was our first really, really long trip. We did the cruise company air package. We boarded the 10 hour flight in LA, and it was full of sleeping, smelly people who had already been on it for hours and hours, since PARIS. We were supposed to get dinner but the food was all gone. It was still early evening but all the lights were out, the blinds were down, and there were no movies. They lost DH’s luggage. We complained to Radisson (now Regent) as soon as we got to the hotel, and they rebooked us on a different airline for the flight home and gave us great seats. Don’t hesitate to complain.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/how-to-get-compensation-flight-issues

Another tip is about airport lounges. If you can spend $50-100 for two to spend a long layover in an airport lounge, I highly recommend it. They vary a lot, but usually they are much more comfortable, have excellent wifi, and serve FOOD. Sometimes even beer and wine. It is easy to Google which airlines have lounges at a given airport and check out their amenities online. Also consider your airline's partners who may have a lounge there if your airline doesn’t. If you fly premium economy and get a lounge pass, it’s still a whole lot cheaper than flying Business or First, but gives you some of the benefits.

When we cruised from Houston, which is notorious for delayed arrivals, we booked a flight at 3pm so we wouldn’t miss it if we were late. A couple weeks before the cruise, the airline changed the schedule to 6:30pm. Of course we were one of the few cruises to arrive at port on time and got to the airport by 11am. We were able to use a partner airline lounge, KLM, which was wonderful. Sandwiches for lunch and French Vogue. Wine and cheese before departing. So civilized.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2013/05/02/airport-lounges-101-why-to-use-them-and-how-to-get-in/2127101

Another option if you plan long travel several times per year is to join Priority Pass. We get this for free with our AmEx card.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/join/step2?sourcecode=WPUN&currency=USD&country=USA

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/all-about-priority-pass-program

Finally, consider which credit card you are using and what perks you are getting. We’ve had AmEx Platinum for a long time because DH would travel internationally for business and didn’t have a corporate card, so his company paid the fee. The fee used to be $400, I’m not sure what it is now (but we pay for it ourselves now anyway). We get $300 obc on a cruise, a free specialty dinner, a free in-category stateroom upgrade, free Global Entry (which is $100), free PriorityPass, and a $200 travel credit to use for luggage fees, change fees, meals during flight, etc. If you travel enough to actually take advantage of all those things, it pays for itself. They also give one ff mile for each dollar spent. We put as much as possible on the card, including even groceries, which is how we will have enough miles to fly business class to Africa (if and when). They are now upping it to 5x miles for travel miles, and since I travel to Michigan so often I am happy that I will get some benefit from it.

I am not selling AmEx in any way. I am just pointing out that there are cards out there that might offer perks that you value that would make your travel experience better.

You can tell that I take my travel seriously. J I don’t like to travel uncomfortably, and I don’t think anyone should have to. But, I definitely think long international flights require more consideration and planning if one wants to be comfy and arrive for vacation in decent condition.

Edited by MJC
fix a typo, natch.

Ok, Margaret, I feel like I just got schooled on travel perks to research related to credit cards...in the best. Possible. Way. So thank you so much for that!

DH is very fortunate in that his company will pay for business class seating for the International flights IF he goes to work for at least 6 hours on the day he arrives. Business class can be "first class" depending on the airline and so it is a very nice policy.

We have learned all about those lounges that you spoke of because of this and I have learned more about how you can actually pay to use these lounges if you don't fly a class that lets you. Well, some will let you pay. Some are worth it, others aren't. It's something to research though. Figuring things out for the latest trip, I discovered the Lounge Buddy website. I don't know if there is an associated app for that.

And of course, now that DH has been able to fly business class across the pond...and in fact, has never had to NOT fly business class...he can't imagine not flying business class. I think this will only be reinforced after this Germany trip because the company has said that for cost savings they want the team to fly Coach coming home. Ugh. So he will get the big comparison in a relatively short time...flying out Business on Tuesday and flying home Coach on Friday.

I've been wondering how we could do better flights ourselves in the future and now I want to check out cards with that very thought in mind. The good thing about all the travel that DH has been doing are the miles...he really accumulates quite a few on these business class international flights! I am hopeful for being able to take a TA with him in the not too distant future so planning for a happy flight home is on my research agenda.

We'll be hitting the mall later...first I have to let all these Tornado Watches pass.;p I've had more Tornado Watches living here in Georgia than when we lived in Kansas! So Weird.

Margaret, I agree with you totally. SeatGuru is my buddy (when I fly anything but Southwest). Airport lounges have saved me several times when flights were cancelled or delayed, if I don't have a pass I've been known to cash in a few frequent flyer miles to obtain one. I'm dreading flying in/out of Houston for our Galveston cruise, we have a 3pm flight out of Hobby. I'm loading GateGuru on my phone now! Didn't have that one, that'll be helpful. I'm a writer if things don't go well.

I've found a smile goes a long way with gate agents, they don't get many & it's really not their fault the flight has been delayed, again. On our return from Hawaii/Vancouver cruise we had rented a car in Vancouver to drive to Seattle (flight was $1500 less from Seattle!). No problem getting car at a Canada Place in Vancouver, one little hitch, the speedometer was in km (as was the GPS, that only spoke French). Les had one year of high school French (50 years ago) & I had 4 years of Latin; not a big help [emoji23][emoji23]. We finally made it to Seattle & parked at our hotel & took the marvelous transit system everywhere till we left. Dropped car off at airport to fly back & handed the guy the GPS unit, not sure why but I took a picture of Les handing him the GPS. Yup, you guessed it, we were charged for not returning the GPS. I contacted National (I've used them exclusively for 20 years). We weren't charged for the GPS, weren't charged for the car & they sent me a certificate for 5 free rental days (without an expiration date).

We'd booked out flight with Celebrity's Choice Air & our flight to Hawaii couldn't have gone better. Flight home, not so much. Our flight connection in Denver was changed to 40 minutes, I contacted Choice Air & said not enough time, I'm in a cast, they insisted we had enough time -- of course we were delayed with thunderstorms & missed our flight. Contacted Choice Air from Denver & actually got the same guy on the phone that had said it was plenty of time (wonder what the odds are on that). I said, it's a 6-hour delay (for a 30-minute flight--90 minute drive), I want you to authorize a rental car, which after some persuading he agreed. So we ended up getting home only three hours later than we expected. I really hate connecting in Denver & avoid it at all costs. Melody

Wow! I am such a country bumpkin! I'm copying and pasting this info right now for future reference, Margaret. Thanks, ever so much!

Laurie, you are such a kind soul.

Jeans and cowboy boots or athleisure and sneakers or whatever comfort level we enjoy, I appreciate the friendships we have formed on our two threads. Thanks everyone for the thoughtfulness and kindness--not to mention the helpful tips!

I'm going now to try to amp my travel guru quota.

I just hate to think that Pam would forego some exciting travel due to her latest experience. Like everything, you do get better with practice. Japan! I would love to go there.

I personally cannot sleep sitting up, in a car, in a plane, in a train, doesn't matter. Those FF upgrades to business class mean everything to me.

One option for sleeping that I've done is to put my carryon on my tray table, put my pillow on top, and sleep leaning forward on my arms. They actually make a special pillow for this, but no way am I carrying that around on vacation. :)

I agree 100% with Melody about being friendly and polite. I understand when people are upset that their travel plans are screwed up, but berating employees is not the answer. Once we were on an overbooked flight, and people were getting bumped and were not happy. When we got on the plane, someone was in one of our seats -- it had been double-booked by mistake. We just politely told the flight attendant and stood aside while it was sorted out. She moved us to first class! I think it helped that we were dressed nicely and didn't complain.

Edited by MJC
add info, in case you were wondering

Margaret,

Your memory about boarding an oversold plane and finding someone in your seats... for some reason, stirred a memory within me. It wasn't a plane; it was a train. And, it wasn't me; it was a lady traveling solo.

Maybe everyone knows this but there are two ways of traveling by train, in Europe. One is that you pre-buy your tickets and get an assigned seat. Another type of travel is that you buy your tickets on the day of travel and there is no assigned seating. I always try for the assigned seats if we're going to be traveling longer than a few hours.

Anyway, on to my memory. We are seated on the train, in our assigned seats. A lady boards and sits in a seat across from us. A couple boards and... horror!... the lady is sitting in their seat! Lots of drama, lots of hand waving and lots of sign language conversation because they don't speak the same language (why they didn't revert to English, I just can't say). Anyway, the upshot is that the solo lady is now standing and the couple have settled into their seats. She looks on the verge of tears. Of course, we all know that I have to do something about this! So, I get up and ask to see her printed ticket (yes, sign language again!). It turns out that she has the correct seat number, but the wrong "car" number. Off we go! Sign language, please follow me! She's speaking to me the whole way, saying whatever is making her feel better because I don't understand a word. Anyway, voila! We arrive at the right car number, seat number. I show her the car number on the side of the train that corresponds to her ticket and the seat number that corresponds to her ticket. I receive a hug in return! Yeah, me! Kindness knows no language barrier, right?

I want to say a big Thank You! to Margaret for her uplifting post and travel tips. Yes, you read between the lines as I'm just inches away from cancelling the Japan cruise because of the air flight from Tokyo back to Honolulu. I have until the 10th of June to figure out what I'm going to do. Maybe when I get back from the Caribbean, I can discuss some of my options with you and you can help me determine what I might be able to handle? I know that it's too soon for me to acquire frequent flyer miles on a travel card, but that was an eye-opening tip, Margaret! I have a Capital Venture card and will certainly compare what I have with them to the Amex you mentioned.

So, I just got on here to print out my Southwest boarding passes. Even with EarlyBird, we got A45 and A46, probably won't get that sweet 2-seat exit row! It's ok. This is ONLY a 4-hour flight! I can do it! We're leaving at 10:20am and arriving in Ft Lauderdale at 5:30pm. I already have a shuttle booked for transfer from FLL to Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay. We board the Navigator of the Seas on Sunday.

I'm getting my suitcase packed. DH packed yesterday and overflowed a bit into a duffel and I noticed he has a "personal item" packed with snorkel gear. I'm positive that I can handle this trip in the one 25" checked bag (after all, it's ONLY 17 days... and seasoned traveller that I am (laughing).... actually... and annoyed-by-luggage traveler that I am! (more precisely)! :')

So, we traveled on this 37-day trip with each of us handling a 25" suitcase that weighed in at about 33.6 lbs. And, a 21" suitcase that weighed in at 20 lbs. And, a duffel bag that went with us into the cabin that weighed about 12 to 14 lbs. And, I had my PacSafe purse that, fully packed, weighed around 8 lbs. So, to be clear, we each had a 25" suitcase, a 21" suitcase, a duffel... and I also had a purse.

What do you think? Think I can do it? I have a 17-day trip coming up in a few days. ONE CHECKED SUITCASE. And.... my purse. I mean it. I'll prove it. I'll come back and let you know I did it.

All packed, except for my tote I'm bringing onboard. That will have my 3-1-1 bag, jewelry, necessary paperwork for the trip, clutch purse, phone, flight entertainment (crosswords and Sudoku puzzles), my awesome makeup brush roll, snacks and (thank you Margaret!) water! So simple. I don't know why I've never made buying water for the flight, after security, a TOP priority! Anyway....

My checked bag weighs 38.4 lbs. That's it. No duffle. So, somehow I've managed to get rid of 27 lbs of necessary items. Yeah, me!

Way to go Pam!

I always travel with a metal water bottle (takes hot or cold). First thing I do after going thru security is fill it with hot water for tea (& my Airborne). We're doing a 14 night B2b & 3 landnights, also 17 nights. I have my 24" ready to pack, Les has his 24" ready to pack. I have my tote & Les has his backpack (for all the camera equipment [emoji849]). Still trying to decide if snorkel equipment will get its own suitcase (we're on SW), probably will. I'm still hoping for my Tribord full face mask to arrive. Melody

All packed, except for my tote I'm bringing onboard. That will have my 3-1-1 bag, jewelry, necessary paperwork for the trip, clutch purse, phone, flight entertainment (crosswords and Sudoku puzzles), my awesome makeup brush roll, snacks and (thank you Margaret!) water! So simple. I don't know why I've never made buying water for the flight, after security, a TOP priority! Anyway....

My checked bag weighs 38.4 lbs. That's it. No duffle. So, somehow I've managed to get rid of 27 lbs of necessary items. Yeah, me!

Bon voyage Member123. :D

Give my regards to D

Everyone on this thread and the earth thread are so wonderful.

I never really thought about it until Anita mentioned it, but I do think the structure of my day has a lot to do with that get up, shower and get dressed thing. That is part of my work routine. It spills over to the weekend as well. I don't necessarily get up at 5:30 or 6:00 on the weekend, but I don't sleep in by any means.

The reality is that I am not sweaty. I think I am sweaty. And Dirty. And I'm not. I just have to shower out of habit. And I have dry skin too, so I have to use a lot of lotion. You would think that would help me lay off all that soap and water, but I can't seem to break that habit.

I have my own version of casual, and it's nice that I am trying different things. Sometimes I like what I'm trying, sometimes not. I do wear looser, but leaner fitting clothes compared to what I used to. Did that make sense? I can't wear baggy things, but I do wear things that aren't as fitted now. Part of this is because it can be easier for me while I'm still losing weight. Sometimes too, with a top that hits mid to lower hip with a pair of pants, I get the feeling of that tall lean look that I like.

Pam, when I was 47 and my husband was 50, we wanted to go the Grand Canyon for a trip. This was the one place he always wanted to see. We flew into Las Vegas and our flight was delayed. It was earlier there, but at home it would have been midnight when we arrived. First time in Vegas, and we ate some appetizers in the hotel bar and went to bed. Exciting, eh?

And then on the way back, we took a red eye flight thinking we could sleep on the way home. That didn't work, so we got home and just stayed up. An all nighter!

I mention this because it can be hard to adjust.to the time changes. In between though, was the most amazing trip. I'd do it again in a flash.

Oh, and the driving involved...especially when we got lost, twice. You can go for miles and miles without any land in sight out there!

In addition to the quarter zips for my favorite teams, I am finding myself attracted to some of these summer casual dresses in tech fabrics. Atheta has some, and this new company I got a catalog from has them as well. And I do wear skorts. So I guess I do wear some athleisure. :)

Way to go Pam on packing lite!

Laurie, you said before that you don't know how people can pack for a trip that long. I think what happens is you just realize that you have to learn to pack very differently if you don't want to haul a steamer trunk with you. For a seven day cruise, I can pretty much take whatever I want within reason and it will fit into my suitcase. But for a longer trip, you do need to plan on re-wearing, and doing laundry, and being efficient with your outfits with capsule wardrobes like The Vivienne Files. I've seen some people make spreadsheets to chart out the combinations so they don't repeat too much, but I don't think anybody really cares because everyone is in the same boat, literally and sartorially.

Further to our travel discussion:

http://www3.forbes.com/lifestyle/the-15-worst-mistakes-you-can-make-when-flying/16/

When I travel alone, I always get an aisle. I am that annoying person who has to get up once an hour to pee and stretch my legs. If I am with DH, he has the aisle, so I pester him at will to let me out when necessary. :)