Should Deposits be Per Person or Per Room

Cool Waters

I think per room as well.

I was lucky enough to get a big bonus at work and paid for our cruise in one swoop. However, if not, I would have planned to pay the deposit for the two adults, and then added the 3rd person at a later time. That way I could still hold the room.

-Danny

I think per room as well.

I was lucky enough to get a big bonus at work and paid for our cruise in one swoop. However, if not, I would have planned to pay the deposit for the two adults, and then added the 3rd person at a later time. That way I could still hold the room.

-Danny

But they might not let you book a room for three with only two people. And if they did, when you got around to adding the third, they might not allow it because 3/4 occupancies were maxed out for your cabin location. EM

What difference does it make?

Ask your real question "should deposits be smaller?"

Actually come to think of it, I guess it could make a difference if you are booking 3 or 4 persons in a room.

We are booking 4 to one room and 2 to another. It would by myself and 3 small kids booked in one and My hubby and step-son booked in another. So we pay $1500 for a deposit. I'm not complaining or anything cause I gotta pay it eventually...I'm just wondering what others think it should be....per room or per cabin.

• 2 weeks later...
We are booking 4 to one room and 2 to another. It would by myself and 3 small kids booked in one and My hubby and step-son booked in another. So we pay $1500 for a deposit. I'm not complaining or anything cause I gotta pay it eventually...I'm just wondering what others think it should be....per room or per cabin.

Where are you going?? And how are you doing? Hooked to cruising?

I seen a lot of threads here, that want Carnival to do like RCL and have WOW sales, with half deposits.

I think due to having ES pricing, where your deposit is non refundable ... this will stop Carnival from ever offering reduced deposits. Carnival wants those deposits and to keep them.

We book a cabin for three. The deposit for the third passenger almost covers their total fare for the cruise. :eek: We have three cruises booked. They were not all booked at the same time. We book far in advance which allows us plenty of time to pay for the cruise when the final payment is due. Also to have extra money for the sail and sign card. Actually there is not such a thing as extra money. :rolleyes: Deposits are refundable if you book correctly expecting a need to cancel. I don’t mind per person deposits.

I say per room. What do you think?

First of all, they aren't so what difference do we make?

Secondly, I would say probably larger regardless. Or, again, $250 PP or $500 per cabin. It's a pay me now, pay me later since I have yet to book a cruise and even consider cancelling.

I don't know why people get all excited about reduced deposit sales anyway.......

I wonder why you are booking that way, you don't have to you know.

We book a cabin for three. The deposit for the third passenger almost covers their total fare for the cruise. :eek: We have three cruises booked. They were not all booked at the same time. We book far in advance which allows us plenty of time to pay for the cruise when the final payment is due. Also to have extra money for the sail and sign card. Actually there is not such a thing as extra money. :rolleyes: Deposits are refundable if you book correctly expecting a need to cancel. I don’t mind per person deposits.

We have 3 booked on a 5 day and the deposit is more than the cost of the 3rd pax. ... as some have pointed out, you cant just pay their fare plus taxes and fees, you have to pay the full deposit, even if the 3rd pax rate is less.

Where are you going?? And how are you doing? Hooked to cruising?

Hey Mary!! I didn't get a chance to get your email address before we left! Please send me an email at s_wilson_mcneil@yahoo.com. How is Bob?? Please tell him we said "Hi"!!

It's good hearing from you!! We doing two cruises next year....one with kids in May and another Labor Day cruise, just the two of us. I would love to join the Bermuda cruise with you guys two weeks after, but I REALLY loved Nassau and can't wait to go back!

We have 3 booked on a 5 day and the deposit is more than the cost of the 3rd pax. ... as some have pointed out, you cant just pay their fare plus taxes and fees, you have to pay the full deposit, even if the 3rd pax rate is less.

Boy....that really sucks! I wish is was just $250 per room.....maybe next time we go...in May....I will reserve my spot on my next cruise in September on the ship. Then I can get the on board credit too!!

Just think... the less the deposit, the more people are going to book well ahead of time without full intentions on going... kind of like a "maybe", and then cancel when they change their minds or cannot afford to cough up the rest. Then all of the good cabins (afts, 4K's, etc.) will be taken off of the market, and not available to those of us who are going to go for sure and really want them.

Also, paying a bit more now takes more of the sting off later when final payment is due.

Hey Don,

Please tell me! I am itching to know! I was told there was not way around it :(

Did you book Guarantee? If so there isn't but if you picked your cabins then you can book your kids in one room and yourself in another provided that the rooms are less then 6 cabins apart.

I wonder why you are booking that way, you don't have to you know.

Sometimes folks split up the grownups to get a past guest discount or to have that one adult in each room.

Rest assured you and hubby can be in one room and the 4 kiddos in the other if that is what you choose.

If your family is like mine, however, you never know which little kid will end up in your room. :p

Boy....that really sucks! I wish is was just $250 per room.....maybe next time we go...in May....I will reserve my spot on my next cruise in September on the ship. Then I can get the on board credit too!!

If the next ship you sail on has the future cruise certificates, you don't necessarily have to book at that time. Buy the certificate for $100 and when you book they apply that $100 to your balance and also give you onboard credit.

I honestly have never thought about the deposits, but after "fire" posted, I looked at our April trip and 3 of our passengers only have a balance due of $27. There are limited cabins with 3,4,5 passenger capacity so if they don't charge the full deposit, these cabins would get booked and cancelled alot more (probably).

I say per room. What do you think?

No, per person. The reason is that there are cost for each person and more people equal a room with less availability.

The purpose of a deposit is to require up-front money that people will LOSE if they cancel within a penalty period.

If the deposit were per-room, then four people could book a quad, and then after the penalty and before final payment, two people could cancel and not be out a cent! Plus the cruise line has to move the remaining two passengers to a double cabin, which messes things up and makes more work for them.

So no, it does not make any sense to have a per room deposit.

Per Person......... although per room would benefit us because we are a family of 5, it woudn't be fair to book per room for availability reasons. with a large family, it might be difficult to find a rooms with a triple and double tha are close together..... thus, if somebody were to book a cabin that has the potential for 3 people on a "room deposit" and then back out, others needing that triple may have lost out and then Carnival will lose out and everone will pay the price for fares going up due to cancellations...... you get the point.

Archived