Cruising Experience - A social event or not?

Mr. Luckytoo

Do you like to interact with other passengers?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to interact with other passengers?

• I love the social concept of cruising
    • I just want to be left alone - its my vacation
    • I really hadn't thought about it either way

One thing that I find very interesting is the social interactions between people. Most people, when they go on vacation, usually do their planning with their small circle of friends/family. In fact there is not a lot of social interaction with strangers, except for the interaction with people in the services industry.

However, on a cruise I have noticed there are many more opportunities for social interaction with fellow passengers. This is due to the close quarters and activities such as trivia contests, classes, and dining times. Even with shore excursions there exists the opportunity for interaction.

One thing I have found interesting to read about is how these interactions between people can affect their choices pre- and post-cruise.

Take the main dining room (MDR) for example. There are certain people who like dining with strangers and others who detest doing that.

When it comes to a cruise what type of passenger interaction do you anticipate pre-cruise and how does that influence your cruising decision?

I didn't vote, I'm somewhere in between the two options.

I definitely don't want to be left alone on vacation, I love meeting and talking to new people, and everyone is usually in such a good mood on vacation! :) But I wouldn't go as far as to say I love the social aspect of cruising, at least not to full extent as to meet new people and go out to port, do excursions, eat every day together, etc.

I cruise (and vacation) with my family, and I do like our time alone. The bits of interactions with others are a big plus and a nice addition to our family time.

I choose a cruise based on destinations ... not the social atmosphere of the ship. To me a cruise ship is a floating hotel, and while I don't mind the odd chit-chat, I'm not looking to make new friends on most vacations. I just want to chill and relax and forget about work for awhile.

Having said that, my husband and I met two of our best friends while on vacation in Mexico about 7 years ago. (They will be cruising for the first time with us on January :D

In my experience being part of cc and attending the meeting on board or connecting on the roll call is a plus to a vacation.Because I booked my last one late I hooked up with people on our cruise.I was lucky enough to be included on a few tours a lady organized I really had no time to REALLY plan much .THEY WERE FABULOUS .On board after we met we always greeted one another .Many people helped with my plans in England etc

I found the whole social experience of the small ship delightful......although I prefer big ships.I believe I met terrific people I am still in contact with That is WIN+WIN

I love cruising - dalitos is right - everyone is very happy while on their cruise vacation. It's nice to be surrounded with happy people. It is interesting to find yourself talking with people from all around the world yet you always seem to find that person from your childhood hometown or friend of a friend - it's always fun to see who you will meet on your cruise.

I love that friendly aspect, but I have to admit that I love my 'private time'. It's nice to have those happy vibes from the rest of the ship's passengers and crew - but I enjoy the privacy. I am the one that loves the table for two at dinner and sitting on the balcony quietly enjoying the view.

I have found that on past cruises you always have one or two couples that you consistently bump into. It's always comforting to be able to give that greeting or nod whenever you see them in port on excursions or just around the ship. It's great to make new friends .... even if it is just for a week!

First of all I am a very shy person. Very introverted. We go the the MDR and my wife Barbara (Derfette on cruisecritic) always asks to share. While I wisper alone. One we were led to a table and the 2 couples seated there said they were waiting for someone else. Derfette sat down anyway while I was dying. The people they were waiting for never showed up.

Derfette is the outgoing one. Talk to anyone anywhere anyplace. While I hide.

Hi, I didn't vote either. I sail solo and I always end up interacting with

other folks:) but I also love my "alone time"....last cruise during the

days I pretty much spent my time doing nothing but relaxing at the

Solarium pool. The hot tubs and loungers are simply the best:D

But I have to say I now have lifelong friends I have met from previous

sailings too so its ALL GOOD:)

What I love about cruising is that you can have your cake and eat it too. :D DH is really shy but enjoys meeting new people through me. A few are still on our xmas card list. You can be social when you want to be social and you can have private time when you want private time. It's just always worked out and I've never felt like I was being forced to be social. The ship always has a great distribution of social and private spaces. Another reason why we love the verandah. Also, if you get someone at your table that you cannot stand to be with for the duration you can always ask for a new table. I've only wanted to do this once but it was before I knew that I could.

I didn't vote, I'm somewhere in between the two options. I definitely don't want to be left alone on vacation, I love meeting and talking to new people, and everyone is usually in such a good mood on vacation! :) But I wouldn't go as far as to say I love the social aspect of cruising, at least not to full extent as to meet new people and go out to port, do excursions, eat every day together, etc. I cruise (and vacation) with my family, and I do like our time alone. The bits of interactions with others are a big plus and a nice addition to our family time.

I agree with you 100%, "dalitos," and I had decided not to vote in this poll even before I read your comments.

No offense intended, OP, but I recommend your cancelling this poll and starting off with more choices, including one that "dalitos" and I could vote for.

For the most part, I just want to be left alone. I enjoy the message boards on CC before a cruise, and I like seeing a familiar face on a cruise, every once in a while, but I also enjoy just chilling out and being left alone. I prefer a table for two with just the DH at dinner. That is really the only time that I really don't want to have to make small talk. We rarely get to enjoy dinner together at home (busy work schedule), so our vacation time is OUR time. My job requires me to interact with people all day, getting to know their innermost thoughts and feelings (I am a psychologist), so the last thing I want on vacation is have people trying to have me "psycho-analyze" them at the dinner table (it has happened!). Also, DH is pretty quiet and anti-social, so he prefers a quiet table for two as well. On this cruise, we are trying to talk some friends into going with us, so it may be the 4 of us on the cruise this time. We will see how that goes, if they actually come with us.

My job requires me to interact with people all day, getting to know their innermost thoughts and feelings (I am a psychologist), so the last thing I want on vacation is have people trying to have me "psycho-analyze" them at the dinner table (it has happened!).

Wow - talk about one of those 'unpleasant' dining times!

So from what I take it you choose select dining then? Just curious but have you or do you consider NCL cruises? :confused:

ROFL

LMAO

I find that very hard to fathom, Derf, unless you're a CLOSET socialite.

IMHO, you are the one with the lampshade on your head....:eek:

Just ask to people I have cruised with

I very rarely drink. Maybe 1 beer on a cruise.

"I find that very hard to fathom, Derf"

Using nautical terms. I like that.

"unless you're a CLOSET socialite"

I resemble that remark.

Whatever a person does in their closet stays in the closet.

When I am on vacation I want to be 100% left alone. I do enjoy the cc boards prior to the cruise and use my roll call board to find out who is on the same excusion I booked, but for things like the bar and the MDR I really just want to eat dinner with DH and not have to talk to anyone else. We always book a suite so we get a table for 2 and we enjoy our time together cruising since we don't get a lot of time to enjoy ourselves at home.

We always book a suite so we get a table for 2 and we enjoy our time together cruising since we don't get a lot of time to enjoy ourselves at home.

When you book a suite it entitles you to a two-top? Or are you referring to eating in the cabin? Do suite passengers eat somewhere special?

I agree with you 100%, "dalitos," and I had decided not to vote in this poll even before I read your comments.

No offense intended, OP, but I recommend your cancelling this poll and starting off with more choices, including one that "dalitos" and I could vote for.

jg - probably a smart idea but I'm running this same question on four (4) different threads in order to get a 'ballpark' idea to see if there is a statistical difference in responses. thanks for the suggestion(s). :)

When you book a suite it entitles you to a two-top? Or are you referring to eating in the cabin? Do suite passengers eat somewhere special?

Suite guests get their choice of dining options, we pick a 2 top in the MDR. It's one of the perks.

We prefer to be left alone, well...I prefer to be left alone...DH never met a stranger...but on cruises he defers to me...I too am in a business(hospitality) in which I have people contact continuously so when on a cruise I want the exact opposite...relax, read on my balcony, have quiet dinners for two with DH, be the one who gets pampered rather than the one doing the pampering......don't feel like having to come up with any small talk at all....have LOVED the new Select Dining option and My Time DIning on Royal...works so well for us. We have met one couple we've stayed in touch with for 10 years but overall it's just us two unless there is family travelling with us too!

A cruise is the only vacation that I can truly relax at...after all even if work somehow finds me to tell me the hotel is burning down or some other emergency, there's not a darn thing I can do about it, so I just don't stress about work on a ship...:)

When I am on vacation I want to be 100% left alone. I do enjoy the cc boards prior to the cruise and use my roll call board to find out who is on the same excusion I booked, but for things like the bar and the MDR I really just want to eat dinner with DH and not have to talk to anyone else. We always book a suite so we get a table for 2 and we enjoy our time together cruising since we don't get a lot of time to enjoy ourselves at home.

That is mostly what we are like too...we enjoy going to a bar before dinner, but otherwise, we would just rather be alone.

A very interesting poll. I was surprised at the number of people that enjoy their privacy as I do. That said the beautiful part of a cruise (IMHO) is that you can enjoy as much social interaction as you care to have. This is unlike many other vacations such as a resort settings where there are few opportunities to socialize or one has to go out of their way to meet others. Even if you are keeping pretty much to yourself the ship represents a 'community' (as they say we are all in the same boat) which is enjoyable.

Archived