Southwest to buy AirTran Airways

parody

According to the Cranky Flier: "they could come back [to DFW] from Dallas/Love in 2014 when the Wright Amendment is lifted."

Over and over they have tried to lift the Wright Amendment. It probably ain't going to happen in my lifetime. Just too much money invested in DFW by the powers that be.

Love Field will have to go a LOOOOONG way to even come close to DFW. When AA started flying out of there, DH and I did 6 RT's on the Fly 3 AA promotion. What a dump Love Field was. We actually changed our flights (change fee required) back to PHX and paid a hefty sum for a taxi to get from DAL to DFW for our return trip.

Crappy, Crappy airport-looks like the cargo airport in Goodyear Arizona where they park all the sold off airplanes. Not quite as bad as LOS but getting up there real close.

AT was already planning on phasing out the 717s - the buyout will just accelerate it.

At the end of the day, SW will back to an all 737 fleet.

Once again, http://www.lowfaresfarther.com/ provides facts.

Q: What about assigned seats?

A: As you know, Southwest does not assign seats. AirTran does offer seat assignments including Business class and Coach. Upon full integration, it is our intent to have a consistent product offering. It is our intent that seat assignments would not be part of that product.

------------

On code sharing - SW DOES have experience (e.g. ATA) In addition SW currently has an agreement not related to the takeover to commence international connecting itineraries to Mexico with Volaris by year end

-----------

SW buying AT could easily cause the Wright Amendment to be lifted early, IF SW wanted to bring it up. I still don't know that they want to fly out of DFW any more, nor why they would want to.

Note:

SW and AT (Air Namibia & Royal Air Maroc) are not involved in any agreements to purchase each other. If you're going to use two letter codes for airlines, please use the right ones. WN - Southwest; FL - Airtran

This made me laugh! :D While your intent is noble, we speak English here, and so the abbreviations reflect that. We don't speak Airline Industry Vernacular.

Industry abbreviations used on an English speaking message forum will only confuse everyone.

Now cruise abbreviations we can do... many (but still not all) use the cruise line abbreviations for the ships... but this is a cruise board, not an airline board. ;)

Theron

TPKeller. My thoughts exactly. Most people posting on CC's Cruise Air are occaisional travelers wanting easily understood information. Most are not well versed in the airline jargon. Please speak english instead of over the head of most of us. Thanks for posting.

TPKeller. My thoughts exactly. Most people posting on CC's Cruise Air are occaisional travelers wanting easily understood information. Most are not well versed in the airline jargon. Please speak english instead of over the head of most of us. Thanks for posting.

I'll respectfully disagree.

We all can choose to learn new things and be correct or we can hold on to our old ways and just be obstinate.

If someone hadn't corrected me in the past, I'd still think my name was Dumba$$ which was what my father called me when he wanted something. ;)

I'll respectfully disagree.

We all can choose to learn new things and be correct or we can hold on to our old ways and just be obstinate.

If someone hadn't corrected me in the past, I'd still think my name was Dumba$$ which was what my father called me when he wanted something. ;)

The problem with your worthy goal is that it doesn't meet the the needs of the audience here. As the intermediate poster noted, people come here for quick travel help, not for vocabulary lessons. I don't think it's a bad desire, but in this particular application, it will do more harm than good.

There will undoubtedly be people who come here, read the posts, see the official abbreviations, and wonder what in the world they mean. Context will help a little, but only for some.

Theron

Over and over they have tried to lift the Wright Amendment. It probably ain't going to happen in my lifetime. Just too much money invested in DFW by the powers that be.

No the Wright amendment is going away in 2014. This will allow Southwest to fly non stop say PHX-Dallas love field. This was passed about four years ago. One of the things that did become legal with the repeal was through ticketing. In other words one could buy a ticket from Phoenix to Dallas love field. In the past that wasn't allowed. Back then one had to buy two tickets, one to El Paso then another on to Dallas Love field. As i'm sure you are aware the wright amendment only allowed flights to Love Field only from Texas or a state that had a shared a border with Texas.

The problem with your worthy goal is that it doesn't meet the the needs of the audience here. As the intermediate poster noted, people come here for quick travel help, not for vocabulary lessons. I don't think it's a bad desire, but in this particular application, it will do more harm than good.

There will undoubtedly be people who come here, read the posts, see the official abbreviations, and wonder what in the world they mean. Context will help a little, but only for some.

Theron

While it seems pedantic; Look at a departure board at an airport. You wont see SW 1234, but you will see WN 1234 to find your flight from LAX to SMF

No the Wright amendment is going away in 2014. This will allow Southwest to fly non stop say PHX-Dallas love field. This was passed about four years ago. One of the things that did become legal with the repeal was through ticketing. In other words one could buy a ticket from Phoenix to Dallas love field. In the past that wasn't allowed. Back then one had to buy two tickets, one to El Paso then another on to Dallas Love field. As i'm sure you are aware the wright amendment only allowed flights to Love Field only from Texas or a state that had a shared a border with Texas.

maybe something to the nickname Dad gave me... Dang computer

sorry wrong post

Theron

I'll still disagree.

90% of the posters here are well seasoned travelers. 10% are posters who have questions about travel. SW may be known as Southwest Airlines but WN is the correct answer. I would think people unfamiliar with this would appreciate learning the proper terminology.

Before this forum I thought the galley was the kitchen, the decks were the floors, the cabins were the rooms, the head was the bathroom, the steward was the stewart, the ship was a boat,,,,and yes, SW was WN.

We're never to old to learn something new.

Not sure how much overlap there is for these two, however, at BWI they rank 1 and 2 for number of flights and looks like higher fares and fewer options may result from this. JMHO

Higher fares in some markets are possible. Some markets may eventually be dropped.

It opens up lots of possibilities for those who fly from Atlanta. People who used to fly on AirTran will have a number of new cities they can reach on SW.

90% of the posters here are well seasoned travelers. 10% are posters who have questions about travel.

Well, by the number of threads asking relatively basic travel-related questions, you would think 90% (or more) are posters who have questions about travel and 10% (or less) are well-seasoned travelers.

frugaltravel. You are so right. The majority of posters/readers here are infrequent travelers. Once or twice a year, if we're lucky. Why would we be expected to know various airport codes or "official" airline codes? We come here for basic, usable information which is understood by we peons.

frugaltravel. You are so right. The majority of posters/readers here are infrequent travelers. Once or twice a year, if we're lucky. Why would we be expected to know various airport codes or "official" airline codes? We come here for basic, usable information which is understood by we peons.

You are absolutely correct; everyone certainly may remain ignorant if they so choose.

While it seems pedantic; Look at a departure board at an airport. You wont see SW 1234, but you will see WN 1234 to find your flight from LAX to SMF

That may be true but I have never noticed it and I fly SW at least once a month and when I look at the departure it is stated in a way that I always know it is Southwest so everyone looking at that board is not seeing WN as the only designator for Southwest Airlines.

When additional new information is published it would be prudent to start another thread here.

However this one has turned into another "who's on first" discussion.

Therefore, for now this is closed.

Thanks

Archived