W. Caribbean vs E. Caribbean

CruiseAdict218

From your tag i see the last time you did the Western Carib was in 2004. The port at Cozumel has changed massively since 2004. Its very modern & very nice. We just got back a week ago. Having done both I would take the Western in a heartbeat. You get Princess cays with either, so that is a wash. Jamaica is admittely a poor stop, but even Dunns River falls is a good one-time stop. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are absolutely fabulous. Swimming with stingrays? It doesnt get any better. Cozumel you say? That would probably be my first place in the caribbean to stay if I had to pick one for a week.

Really? Might I ask why? I was so very disappointed in Cozumel. I rented a car there and stopped at all of the various beaches and was seriously underwhelmed. I am somebody who stays for a week at the various islands for a week and Cozumel would be near the bottom.

A couple notes: (1) I am not being sarcastic - I am legitimately curious what I missed out on. (2) I am comparing Cozumel to Caribbean destinations. If somebody gave me a choice between Cozumel and California or Florida, I would be in Cozumel in a heartbeat.

We enjoyed our day at Chankanaab on a previous cruise and had planned to go back last March. But the weather was overcast and drizzly all day, and we decided not to venture away from the dock area.

My preference is for eastern over western, but we had a great day in Roatan. The beach there is almost like being at a private island. We did not get away from the new dock area. The people we talked to who did were not impressed.

Our next cruise is to the Panama Canal on the Island. We'll be staying on the ship when it docks in Jamaica. That's one place I don't want to go back--and one of the reasons we went several years without taking another western Caribbean crusie.

Really? Might I ask why? I was so very disappointed in Cozumel. I rented a car there and stopped at all of the various beaches and was seriously underwhelmed. I am somebody who stays for a week at the various islands for a week and Cozumel would be near the bottom.

You must not be a scuba diver. For divers, Cozumel would rank near the top of Caribbean islands for a week long destination, even with the damage the hurricanes of recent years have brought. Although I can understand your feelings. We have friends who are golfers and Cozumel would be among their last choice for a week long destination also.

he beauty of Cozumel lies under the water, not above it, and it is indeed beautiful. Plus, if you enjoy all inclusive resorts, Cozumel has plenty to choose from.

My preference is for eastern over western, but we had a great day in Roatan. The beach there is almost like being at a private island. We did not get away from the new dock area. The people we talked to who did were not impressed.

Roatan is a nice island AWAY from Coxen Hole - the town the dock is in. Coxen Hole is not a nice place. As soon as you are out of there, the island is green, some nice empty beaches, and the best scuba/snorkeling I have seen anywhere (have not been to Bonaire yet).

I prefer Western, although like the other poster Southern is my number one choice. To me, the Eastern Caribbean seemed more focused on shopping, where the Western Caribbean was more about water related activities. I really liked Roatan. Cozumel and Grand Cayman (at least stingray city.) The beach day on Princess Cay goes with either itinerary.

Agree. I'm more of a Western person. The Eastern probably is better for those that like shopping and a beach day in a very modernized port where you might not see too much of the "real island' and poverty, etc. However, I love Roatan and Cozumel on the Western itinerary. Just seemed so much more diverse and "real' to me.

You must not be a scuba diver. For divers, Cozumel would rank near the top of Caribbean islands for a week long destination, even with the damage the hurricanes of recent years have brought. Although I can understand your feelings. We have friends who are golfers and Cozumel would be among their last choice for a week long destination also.

he beauty of Cozumel lies under the water, not above it, and it is indeed beautiful. Plus, if you enjoy all inclusive resorts, Cozumel has plenty to choose from.

So true. I know a few die-hard divers and they go to Cozumel on a regular basis and like it even better than Grand Cayman. Plus, I happen to love Mexican ports. I live in Southern California and travel the Mexican Riveria regularly. I know there are many who don't appreciate these ports but I've met some wonderful people, ate some terrific food, had way too many wonderful margaritas, enjoyed some awe-inspiring churches, viewed some interesting history and culture in these ports. But, I understand, they aren't for everyone. If you are a diver, though, my understanding from my friends is Cozumel is a great place to dive.

You have to remember one thing about the western carribean now. They do not stop at Jamacia which I am glad for. Honduras is the new stop and I am looking forward to stopping there in November. If Jamacia was still a stop I don't think I would be doing the western.

Yep, Jamaica can be a challenge. Was there in 1997 and enjoyed the tours we did but when my mom and I went to shop in the port area it was quite the nightmare. I hope you enjoy Roatan. My friend and I were there last November and it was our favorite stop. We did a private tour with Victor Bodden's tours and had Tex as our guide. Many seem to stay at the new cruise dock area in Mahogany Bay but we thoroughly enjoyed seeing this beautiful island including seeing the not so pretty parts in Coxen Hole. It was informative as to how people live in other parts of the world and gave us an appreciate for where we live. However, outside of Coxen Hole this was just a spectacularly beautiful island and I will always remember eating lobster in the West End on a patio deck of the West Bay Hotel (I think that was the name) with water splashing up on our feet and a view of the bay one way and a view of the ocean looking the other way. Plus, had the very best Pina Coladas there that I've ever had!

I would like to visit St. Maarten again if the ship went there but I am really tired of St. Thomas for the eastern side. As for the Western side we have always enjoyed all the ports except Jamaica which apparently they have stopped going to. We would prefer the Southern like Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire.

Thx for the feedback. I did not scuba or snorkel in Cozumel. If you have not been to Roatan, give that a try - that is the best I have seen under the water.

Although the ship is the real destination for me at this stage of the game, you really need to visit both to decide as everyone has their own idea of nervana. Me, I have been to both sides and enjoy the eastern side as its much more lush tropical and not so dry, rocky and arid. But you need to decideon your own as the southern direction offers alot too.

If you ever intend to do a W Caribbean cruise, we took the Crown last year and thought it was by far the best western itinerary we've seen for a 7 night cruise. On the chance Princess might discontinue it, I might recommend doing it now. Eastern Caribbean cruises, while wonderful, are a dime a dozen...everyone offers pretty much the same cruise (give or take Princess Cays). But to get to the Western without Jamaica...that's not quite as easy (although not as hard as it used to be). If you like snorkeling/diving, then definitely the Western.

I completely agree with this sentiment. We've done Eastern the past three times just because of the week we had to travel and the ship we chose to be on, so we are doing the Western now. I do prefer the Eastern but it can get very "gone there, done that".

I don't care for Cozumel very much because it is so over-crowded on many days, so we are booking Tulum this trip now that DD is old enough to be up for an 8 hour excursion. We've had "issue" in Jamaica before and didn't like the very agressive nature of the local drug hawkers at the various ports as well as on one of the (non cruise line) excursions we were on, so I'd rather avoid Jamaica.

Funny, but years ago, my partner and I stayed in a cheap divers' hotel in Cozumel for a while. Whenever the cruise ships pulled in, what had been a peaceful, pleasant little town on a rocky little island was utterly overrun, at least for the first few blocks inland from the port. We breathed a sigh of relief when all the swarming day-trippers were gone.

And now we're part of the problem. Ah well, the plentiful ironies of growing old. ;)

Funny, but years ago, my partner and I stayed in a cheap divers' hotel in Cozumel for a while. Whenever the cruise ships pulled in, what had been a peaceful, pleasant little town on a rocky little island was utterly overrun, at least for the first few blocks inland from the port. We breathed a sigh of relief when all the swarming day-trippers were gone.

And now we're part of the problem. Ah well, the plentiful ironies of growing old. ;)

That is 100% us! We would sigh and avoid areas the cruisers would be in whenever the ships came to port. It was interesting on some islands to hear the locals talking and getting ready the day before a ship was due in, because that was clearly going to be their profit for the week.

But while I dreaded the masses coming to whatever island we were on at a given time, I always liked to see and take pictures of the giant ships towering over the small towns.

We did Grand Cayman, Roatan, Cozumel & Princess Cays last March. I loved all of them except Princess Cays, for which I'd not be heartbroken if I never visited again. Wish we'd had more time in all the others.

We swam with the dolphins in Grand Cayman... awesome!

We visited a nature park in Roatan, which we had to tour part of the island to get there and really loved seeing the sights and learning some about their culture. It sounds like the undevelopedness, for lack of a better word, about the island turns alot of people off, but to me that's what was so awesome about it!

In Cozumel we did Tulum and enjoyed the trip and walking around the ruins. The locals where the buses parked reminded me of my visits to Mexico back in the 60's and early 70's when we'd have fun haggling with the shopkeepers.

My DH didn't care as much about the Western, like many others on here, but I plan to go back again sometime down the road and just do different excursions. By the way, we're still new enough to cruising that we prefer to stick with the ship excursions for awhile yet, but have no complaints so far.

We just booked a trip to the Eastern for next March and can't wait to visit St. Marteen (where we'll helmet dive, and hopefully have a little time left to wander and see some of the island by the dock anyway), St. Thomas (a trip to St. Johns to see the infamous Trunk Bay... too bad it'll be so short a time though!), and Grand Turk (can't wait to wander the beaches, see Jack's & some of the other establishments, and just relax and enjoy some beach time! We've heard so many wonderful things about the Eastern, I can't wait to get there!

Southern Caribbean & Panama will hopefully be a 10 or 14 day the following year... if we're lucky enough to swing it.

I just find the cruise itself so relaxing and really enjoy seeing places and doing things I never thought I would! Guess it's that whole "getting older / bucket list" thing!

I agree with the folks who feel the Eastern is too shopping oriented. We do not enjoy Jamaica, so we just stay on the ship (which on port days can be like having your own private yacht.) We really like Chankanaab in Cozumel. Grand Cayman can be HELL getting to the island and then through Georgetown, so crowded. I am worried about going to Stingray City, since the first time we went, it was a private trip with just 6 of us. On cruise ship days it is so crowded. I love the easy beachiness of Princess Cays.

Having done many caribbeans...i must say i like them both.

My favorite ports:

Barbados

st. Maarten

st. Thomas

cozumel

antigua

bahamas

can do without:

St. Kitts

st. Lucia

dominica

if you are really unsure, check out the shore excursions, and see what they have. This tells you a lot about the ports !!!

Good luck

b.j.

( 19 cruise)

grand turks

What sounds better E. Caribbean on Ruby, or W. Caribbean on Crown it will be my first time there and both just sound great but what is your favorite port during these cruises, both 7 Days

Here's my quickie overview.

Are your interests above or below water?

'Below the water', scuba (drift, wall diving), sub ride, go western.

Scenic beaches, volcanic style islands, jewelry shopping, go eastern.

Awesome snorkeling, sea days, go southern.

Of, course you'll find some of each everywhere....so it may

come down to your schedule/budget.

Bon Voyage.

:cool::)

Caymans, St Maarten, Aruba

Archived