W. Caribbean vs E. Caribbean

CruiseAdict218

We prefer the Eastern itinerary. We enjoy the beach day on Princess Cay, snorkeling around St. John, shopping and exploring St. Maartin, and hanging out at the Margaritaville pool on Grand Turk. We've done the Western itinerary a couple of times and just don't enjoy it as much.

The two ships you mention are sister ships...about as close as you can get to identical.

Lew

I prefer Western, although like the other poster Southern is my number one choice. To me, the Eastern Caribbean seemed more focused on shopping, where the Western Caribbean was more about water related activities. I really liked Roatan. Cozumel and Grand Cayman (at least stingray city.) The beach day on Princess Cay goes with either itinerary.

I'm not a big fan of the Western ports, particularly Cozumel, which I find "junky". But we did really enjoy Grand Cayman and the swim with the stingrays.

But if I were given a choice of a western vs and eastern, I would definitey choose the eastern. As said in a previous post, the beaches are nicer and it seems like there was more to see in the Eastern ports.

Not knowing which ports are on the eastern itinerary you are considering, it's hard to make suggestions. On Sint Maarten/St. Martin we enjoyed the different cultures and atmospheres of the 2 sides of the island, and we did like the shopping in Charlotte Amalie on St Thomas. If Tortola is included, a good choice is a visit to The Baths on Virgin Gorda, and then shopping in a nifty spice shop, called Sunny Caribe, in Road Town. We also really liked Antigua. We did a catamaran sail with beach time that was very pleasant.

Southern Caribbean is my favorite. I prefer the Western which is why I chose to do it next month over the Eastern. I picked between the Ruby and The Crown for our October sailing.

I love St Martin, but wasn't a fan of Grand Turk. The beaches are beautiful but I just don't care for Margaritaville while others really love it. St. Thomas is nice, especially going by boat over to St. John.

I love Grand Cayman and I'm a fan of Cozumel.

Thanks everyone, both sound really nice but maybe Eastern if we did Western then I probly would be interested in Grand Cayman but who know we still got a couple of months till we know what we are doing :(:mad:

And i just have one other question is Bermuda apart of the Caribbean? Mom says it is but i feel its not for whatever reason

Been to both a couple of times and going on the Crown to western again in November. I like Cozamel because I think they have one of the best snorkeling in the carribean. Curious also on the stop to Honduras. Really no preference on either eastern, western or southern. As long as I am on the ship for them.

If you ever intend to do a W Caribbean cruise, we took the Crown last year and thought it was by far the best western itinerary we've seen for a 7 night cruise. On the chance Princess might discontinue it, I might recommend doing it now. Eastern Caribbean cruises, while wonderful, are a dime a dozen...everyone offers pretty much the same cruise (give or take Princess Cays). But to get to the Western without Jamaica...that's not quite as easy (although not as hard as it used to be). If you like snorkeling/diving, then definitely the Western.

Well, we enjoyed Western several times. Grand Cayman and even Cozumel (rent a car and drive to the different beaches and to the other side, where views are beautiful), but as others said Eastern is much more picturesque, and you can enjoy the beaches and snorkeling too. Southern is the best. Islands are close and you have 5 ports on 7 day itinerary, plus Puerto Rico is distination of itself.

Bermuda is out in the Atlantic. The Bahamas are caribbean. Perhaps that is what your mom means. Given a choice of an Eastern or Western cruise I would choose to go west. I love the stingrays at Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I am not a shopper.

Not to be too picky, but both Bermuda and the Bahamas are in the Atlantic.

1466902759_caribbean20map20cia20worldfacts800.jpg.af4f57dcca01be749cbf1cf425541964.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the Western ports, particularly Cozumel, which I find "junky". But we did really enjoy Grand Cayman and the swim with the stingrays.

But if I were given a choice of a western vs and eastern, I would definitey choose the eastern. As said in a previous post, the beaches are nicer and it seems like there was more to see in the Eastern ports.

Not knowing which ports are on the eastern itinerary you are considering, it's hard to make suggestions. On Sint Maarten/St. Martin we enjoyed the different cultures and atmospheres of the 2 sides of the island, and we did like the shopping in Charlotte Amalie on St Thomas. If Tortola is included, a good choice is a visit to The Baths on Virgin Gorda, and then shopping in a nifty spice shop, called Sunny Caribe, in Road Town. We also really liked Antigua. We did a catamaran sail with beach time that was very pleasant.

From your tag i see the last time you did the Western Carib was in 2004. The port at Cozumel has changed massively since 2004. Its very modern & very nice. We just got back a week ago. Having done both I would take the Western in a heartbeat. You get Princess cays with either, so that is a wash. Jamaica is admittely a poor stop, but even Dunns River falls is a good one-time stop. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are absolutely fabulous. Swimming with stingrays? It doesnt get any better. Cozumel you say? That would probably be my first place in the caribbean to stay if I had to pick one for a week.

Not to sound like a sourpuss, but this is the second thread I've just run across where the OP asks, essentially, "Tell me, what will I enjoy?" without furnishing any relevant info at all.

Yes, we've all been newbies here, but folks, if you're going to expect us to give advice, please offer at least some clues as to what you're interested in.

As in: I'm a scuba diver, love diving Cozumel and Roatan, and I have no interest in shopping for jewelry or watches, or sitting around in Margaritaville. So for me, Western. But your mileage may vary.

You have to remember one thing about the western carribean now. They do not stop at Jamacia which I am glad for. Honduras is the new stop and I am looking forward to stopping there in November. If Jamacia was still a stop I don't think I would be doing the western.

"Cozumel you say? That would probably be my first place in the caribbean to stay if I had to pick one for a week."

To each his/her own. It would definitely by my last choice.

As far as you comment about the improvements to Cozumel ....... when we were there, the port area WAS "modernish", so that was not the reason we disliked it. It was the overall atmosphere and the constant hawking of the shopkeepers. They'd stand in the doorway of their shops, yelling to get you to come in, and in some cases actually followed us down the street, trying to get us to turn around and go back to their shops, after we had politely told them "no thanks". (And we were senior ladies, not some cute young things). It became so annoying that we finally crossed the street and walked along the seawall, just to escape them. It was such a huge turn-off, that were I ever on another cruise that ported in Cozumel, I would probably not bother to get off the ship.

Both are very nice. I agree with some others that the beaches seem to be nicer in the E. Caribbean. The W. Caribbean seems to have more watersports and active excursions (e.g. zip lining). Both are definitely good for shopping (at least according to my DW and credit card bill:o)

Tim

Bermuda is too far north - 600 miles due East of Cape Hatters in North Carolina - to be considered geographically part of the Caribbean, and it boasts an island culture all its own. Actually, make that plural - as in islands - since Bermuda is really an archipelago, or a series of islands, joined by causeways and bridges.

Archived