Any Brits about

stubbywillow

Alas, Liz, there are quite a few who don't stay, as I know from other forums.....perhaps because there's nothing to say that this is mainly an American site (even though the pages are headed UK), and sometimes the answers can be quite scathing. I have been seriously distressed on occasion, with what I considered to be a reasonable answer, and have considered moving away and concentrating on other sites. Normally I keep from discussing tipping, as replies can be horrific, but tonight I've answered one of these for the first time in nearly 2 years, because I could read a serious bias in some of the other replies.

However, I have also noticed a slight change in the attitude of some of the "big number" posters, as though they've read some of the UK replies and thought about them....and answered politely, and sometimes with humour. We can but keep trying!!!:)

Jo.

I have been a member of CC for a couple of years, mainly as I cruise on Azamara which was part of Celebrity. It is now under the RCCL management and there were a lot more Brits on board this September cruise.

I have found that joining the roll call for the sailing has been very informative helping out with all sorts of information particularly transfers from Airport to ship.

Further, Azamara host a Cruise Critic party once onboard and opinions of the cruise and staff are sought and 'taken onboard'.

So for me I prefer CC and I have made a number of American and Canadian friends.

Carol

Have been knocking around this site for a little while, and yes while it has a heavy US presence, it does seem to cater for everyone on here.

When doing a stay/cruise from Miami last year, I found the advice I got from 'locals' helped a lot.

It's a good community for us Brits for our UK based cruises as well, from questions on staying overnight in Southampton, or transferring from London to Harwich, and also you do get a good idea of what people feel as well.

Intend to stick around for quite a while, feel you can always still learn a thing or two from other passengers about travelling.

ScrozUK

Seeing an empty port of Southampton for a few days.

Hi Everyone!

I have been on the RCC forum recently trying to stir up some interest from UK Cruisers who may be sailing on the Cruise I have booked, but so far only one other person has said they are going on it - I can`t believe I am sailing on an empty boat LOL.

I didn`t realise this forum existed, having used CC for past cruises and found replies from mainly Americans, it`s really nice to `hear` some UK accents!

Hi

Just found you all. Nice to find fellow UK cruisers.

I have mainly been lurking on the RCCL forum as we have only ever cruised with them up to now but hopefully will try others in the future.

At last! Somebody else from the Southwest. You are the closest location to me that I have found. What part of Cornwall?

Hi Anne

A fellow pasenger kindly came to my cabin with some Bonine and Ginger when I fel ill at a C.C Meet & Mingle and it was like a miracle! I even managed to join the grop for dinner that evening. Anytime I am in the USA I stock up with my Bonine as I never see it in the UK chemists, but perhaps it can be purchased online.

Hiya

Yep all us Brits seem to be coming out of the closet!!! We are on the Thomson Dream 8 December so "She who must be obeyed" is busy sorting clothes and such. Much to my shame we have found that I am going to have to go shoping as my chest seems to have dropped to my waistline due to gravity (plus good food so she tells me ) so watch out MandS!!!:D:D:D

Hi,

Anne here from Blackpool. Only just found this board although been on Thomson, P&O and RCI boards over the last 3 years.

Next cruise Independance of the Seas out of Southampton in January. Done quite a few cruises with P&O but now that I can only cruise in the winter their itineries do not always suit - really don't want to fly if we don't have to as mum is 85 now and finds all the hassle a bit of a chore.

Never been on IOS before although cruised on Explorer of the Seas a couple of times and enjoyed it. Not the same as P&O but just accepted that it is a different product at a different price.

I can get sea-sick on a Thames cruiser so take sea-sick pills whilst I am on board. Normally use Boots travel calm although the bonine given out by RCI was very good.

Can't wait for the 7th January when we set off for Southampton!!:D

Hi

Just looking for a good preventative sea sickness tablet. I have used the boots travel calm tablets for air travel & been okay. Have poeople who have tried them at sea found them effective ?

Thanks Cath

I've been on 2 cruises both with NCL.july 2009 from Southampton to the Med and July 2010 from Dover to the Baltics-both chosen because we didn't want to fly[although it's a long drive down to the South coast!

I discovered cruisecritic a few months before the first cruise and am now addicted to the site.We've organised private shore excursions via the roll calls and got loads of valuable info from the ports of call forum.

Brits are in the minority at the meet and greets but it's a great way to boost your social life on board.We regularly keep in contact with newfound American friends and are going to meet up with one couple when we sail from Miami on the Norwegian Epic next year.

We try to educate our friends across the pond about the British way of life and particularly try to introduce some typical North Eastern expressions into their vocabulary! [why aye man ] We are looking forward to our next vacation while they plan their next holiday

Lyn

Just outside Plymouth.

Regular new post viewer.

ote=Princess Cat;26853693]At last! Somebody else from the Southwest. You are the closest location to me that I have found. What part of Cornwall?

Hi, nice to meet another "local". We are on the Plymouth boundary on the edge of Dartmoor.

Thought I'd say hello as well, as we are also Cornwall based, near Launceston in fact. We haven't done any 'real' cruising yet, we have a share in a narrowboat and get on the UK canals several times a year but I guess that doesn't count!? We did a few days on the Yangtze in 2008 as part of a longer tour of China, but we are just about to book our first cruise with Princess through the Panama Canal. Canals seem to be a bit of a theme with us.

We are really looking forward to it but have not yet booked. Looking at January 17th 2012, talk about planning ahead!

Hi All

We're in the Midlands (Dudley) and found this site a few years ago when we started cruising, but only just come across the UK Boards!

Our next cruise - 23rd April - is 2 weeks from Miami on NCL Epic (for my 40th!!) and we can't wait. We've then got a week around the Med on Epic in October.

Love that you can find out loads of information from these boards and we've had some excellent self organised tours with friends we've met on the boards.

Just finished planning all we're doing on our next cruise - just need to sort out what we'll do in Miami pre-cruise!

Thought I'd say hello as well, as we are also Cornwall based, near Launceston in fact. We haven't done any 'real' cruising yet, we have a share in a narrowboat and get on the UK canals several times a year but I guess that doesn't count!? We did a few days on the Yangtze in 2008 as part of a longer tour of China, but we are just about to book our first cruise with Princess through the Panama Canal. Canals seem to be a bit of a theme with us.

We are really looking forward to it but have not yet booked. Looking at January 17th 2012, talk about planning ahead!

Hi. From not seeing any other CC members from Devon/Cornwall, you now are the third in less then a week! The Panama Canal is a great cruise. We did it on our second cruise from LA to the Caribbean. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Hi. From not seeing any other CC members from Devon/Cornwall, you now are the third in less then a week! The Panama Canal is a great cruise. We did it on our second cruise from LA to the Caribbean. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Hi All

We're in the Midlands (Dudley) and found this site a few years ago when we started cruising, but only just come across the UK Boards!

Our next cruise - 23rd April - is 2 weeks from Miami on NCL Epic (for my 40th!!) and we can't wait. We've then got a week around the Med on Epic in October.

Love that you can find out loads of information from these boards and we've had some excellent self organised tours with friends we've met on the boards.

Just finished planning all we're doing on our next cruise - just need to sort out what we'll do in Miami pre-cruise!

Hi Lynn

shame we'll miss you we're on the epic week before for 16th april sailing then 2 nd week going on RCL majesty of the seas-should be a contrast in ships.this trip is for our 25th wedding anniversary!

Lyn

we are just about to book our first cruise with Princess through the Panama Canal. Looking at January 17th 2012, talk about planning ahead!

Hi

I`m really interested in the Princess Cruise through the Panama Canal in early 2012, does it embark or disembark in San Francisco? Have you any idea what the weather will be like then as we have been told there are months one should avoid. We did the Far East with Princess - Thailand; China; Hong Kong; Singapore; Tawain and Japan absolutely fantastic. We have booked a Med Cruise and stay with RCCL for 2011 looking forward to that.

Hi Lynn

shame we'll miss you we're on the epic week before for 16th april sailing then 2 nd week going on RCL majesty of the seas-should be a contrast in ships.this trip is for our 25th wedding anniversary!

Lyn

That's a shame Lyn!

Enjoy your cruises!! fingers crossed they get here soon :rolleyes:

Lynn

Archived