Onboard Account Info Available onTV

negc

That was written in response to the poster who said that guests who can access their accounts on the TV subsequently spent less. He seemed to imply that it was in Princess' best interest to make that information less readily available and that was their primary reason for not joining the rest of us in the 21st century. If it really takes you longer to turn on your TV and access your account than to stop at the pursers desk, ask for a printout and have the staff person take time out from whatever else he or she was doing to access and print it out, perhaps that suits you just fine and if you don't care about the hundreds of wasteful pages that must result if even a small percentage of guests make a similar request, then Princess is doing just fine.

It certainly isn't a major issue but in this day and age of tremendous advances in technology, it just seems strange to see one company out of step with most of its competition.

Princess did their homework extensively before deciding against interactive TV. You should try that as well before typing opinions/statements.

There are around 275 cruise ships currently sailing on planet earth.

About 20 of those ships currently feature interactive television.

That's hardly "most of it's competition".

It will be interesting to see if the two new builds will have the interactive TV feature.

If you go back to post number 9, I listed the rationale given by Princess Management when they were asked why the newbuilds will not have interactive TV.

Princess did their homework extensively before deciding against interactive TV. You should try that as well before typing opinions/statements.

There are around 275 cruise ships currently sailing on planet earth.

About 20 of those ships currently feature interactive television.

That's hardly "most of it's competition".

Since Royal Caribbean alone has 21 (soon to be 22) ships with this feature and Celebrity has another 10 or so and at least some of Carnival's ships do as well, not to mention other lines which may also offer it, perhaps your research is not as extensive as you claim. Of the 275 cruise ships currently sailing, how many belong to the three or four major brands (counting all of the Carnival family as one brand)? Do you really think that Princess is competing with all of those 200 or so other ships or are they primarily competing with RCCL, Carnival, HAL, and NCL? It was only a question, but obviously one which strikes a nerve with some.

Princess has apparently made its decision not to offer this feature, based on their cost/benefit analysis. Other lines have made a similar cost/benefit analysis and come to a different conclusion. Clearly the success of these lines does not hinge on whether or not they offer interactive television but it does make for some interesting conversation.

Since Royal Caribbean alone has 21 (soon to be 22) ships with this feature and Celebrity has another 10 or so and at least some of Carnival's ships do as well, not to mention other lines which may also offer it, perhaps your research is not as extensive as you claim. Of the 275 cruise ships currently sailing, how many belong to the three or four major brands (counting all of the Carnival family as one brand)? Do you really think that Princess is competing with all of those 200 or so other ships or are they primarily competing with RCCL, Carnival, HAL, and NCL? It was only a question, but obviously one which strikes a nerve with some.

Princess has apparently made its decision not to offer this feature, based on their cost/benefit analysis. Other lines have made a similar cost/benefit analysis and come to a different conclusion. Clearly the success of these lines does not hinge on whether or not they offer interactive television but it does make for some interesting conversation.

It seems to me you asked the original question already knowing the answer and then sat back and waited to see the upcoming theatrics. Princess has decided that, at this time, they have no need to lay out the expenses for a system that they see no benefit in having. Will they re-evaluate it in the future? Possibly so, but personally I could care less whether cruise lines have it or not since I'm in my cabin to sleep and clean up, not to watch television (I can do that at home on a much nicer home theater system) and if I need to check my billing it takes a matter of seconds.

It seems to me you asked the original question already knowing the answer and then sat back and waited to see the upcoming theatrics. Princess has decided that, at this time, they have no need to lay out the expenses for a system that they see no benefit in having. Will they re-evaluate it in the future? Possibly so, but personally I could care less whether cruise lines have it or not since I'm in my cabin to sleep and clean up, not to watch television (I can do that at home on a much nicer home theater system) and if I need to check my billing it takes a matter of seconds.

If I had known the answer I wouldn't have asked the question.:rolleyes:

I haven't sailed on Princess for several years and thought things might have changed in the interim.

negc,

If you had worked for the cruise lines in question - as I have - you would know that not all of the RCCL, Celebrity, and Carnival ships offer interactive television.

Due to the high costs of installing the system after the ship has been built, the newer models do have the system in place. But many of the older ships do not have it.

Our recent cruise on the Celebrity Summit had interactive TV. Though there was nothing really 'interactive' about it - frozen, disabled, or plain non-functioning are probably better ways to describe it.

I checked my onboard account "the old fashioned way" by paying an actual visit to Reception. Much more interactive :)

I haven't sailed on Princess for several years and thought things might have changed in the interim.
I find it interesting that this thread has received almost 700 views but you are the only one who has said you want interactive TV. One other said they'd used it and that it was convenient, but didn't say they'd like it on Princess.

Seems to me that it's time to move on. Your question was asked and has been answered. Because you didn't like the answer isn't going to change the answer or outcome. If you really want interactive TV, the best way to accomplish that is to use the Comment Card at the end of your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1281730

Post #18 talks about HAL going to an interactive TV fleet wide by next year. It is not a deal breaker but it is cool to book excursions, room service, and view my account on the TV. If HAL is doing it, Carnival has it, Cunard has it, yachts of seabourn have it, and Costa has it on select ships I would venture to say Princess will follow suit. RCCL, Celebrity, MSC, are also using it. As of now only Princess and HAL the rest of the Carnival Corp lines have interactive TVs. Carnival also owns P&O and AIDA cruises who also have interactive TVs. The way technology runs wild I think it's only a matter of time for Princess.

Ryan

Archived