Why bother to label the hot tubs "adults only"?

~earthmama~

It's the drunk children who order from Bon Voyage and pass out in bathrooms and don't have their passports who are the problem. ;)

Nope, it's those pesky 8 to 10 year olds that smuggle their liquor on board! Don't they realize that they are causing huge revenue losses to the cruise line, and therefore the other rules cannot be enforced?

Bon Voyage is not the problem, outlaw rum runners and wine boxes!

</Sarcasm Off> for those that are satirically impaired.:D

Nope, it's those pesky 8 to 10 year olds that smuggle their liquor on board! Don't they realize that they are causing huge revenue losses to the cruise line, and therefore the other rules cannot be enforced?

True! True!! LOL

Jokes aside...

the Serenity area is MARKETED AS ADULTS, OVER 21...

I expect them to enforce this

if an employee gives me a blank stare I will ask for his/her supervisor

I would prefer to let Carnival do the booting rather than "take on" the

parents

but I would take action, especially with small kids and parents

who say "they are with me">> that is simply a ridiculous excuse,

I don't think Carnival will let me go into Camp Carnival and play,

maybe I want to "Build a Bear" LOL>> well they need to enforce

the rules all over IMHO

I don't think Carnival will let me go into Camp Carnival and play,

maybe I want to "Build a Bear" LOL>> well they need to enforce

the rules all over IMHO

You mean I can't??

But I do agree with you. Rules are rules for a reason. (OMG.... I just sounded like my mother!! :eek: )

Parents set an example for the kids. Mom and dad skirt the rules and the kinds think it is OK for them too.

I've written this before and I see it has been mentioned, but I cannot believe that parents do NOT realize how dangerous hot tubs are for children. It heats up the body temperature too hot. It's also dangerous for pregnant women for that same reason and people with heart conditions. It's very easy to Google this subject and see the expert opinions. Keep the kids out of the hot tub. It's not just an inconvenience, as it is a danger, too. Trust me, I am a parent so I understand. However, I researched things that were not safe for my child. I didn't just allow her to do everything when she was younger.

Getting off my soap box..

If Carnival refuses to enforce it even in the serenity area?

Don't know what ship you were on but both times we have been on the Legend the adult only hot tubs have been enforced. Maybe the problem is that adult means 18 for the hot tubs. Serenity areas are 21 and adults under that age are not supposed to be allowed in those areas.

Just to clarify the covered Hot Tub on the pool deck was marked adults only too. Very clearly. Not sure about the other on the pool deck. We (and others) DID mention it to staff several times but I can't say I was overly impressed with the staff on the Fantasy compared to other ships. Many of them just did not seem to care AT ALL. Not one ever asked the kids to leave the hot tubs even in the serenity area. Many had a very "what do you want ME to do about it" attitude.

The covered hot tub ALWAYS had kids, even toddlers in it.

You know I never saw the "no swim diapers" sign anywhere but I did know it was a rule and why so I kept DS out of the pool.

The staff is enforcing the rules that the hotel manager has told them to enforce. If they are not enforcing the rules correctly the main office needs to be contacted with specific cruise dates, and ship names so that they can deal with it at the upper levels. It might not accomplish anything but the staff is only doing what they are told.

I don't think anyone was blaming the kids here - kids will be kids...and I'm sure the kids didn't realize that the hot tubs were only for adults. However, if Carnival touts something as an adults-only area, they need to make sure that is enforced.

I agree, when was the last time you met a kid who could read. Not the kids fault.

Bill

I've written this before and I see it has been mentioned, but I cannot believe that parents do NOT realize how dangerous hot tubs are for children. It heats up the body temperature too hot. It's also dangerous for pregnant women for that same reason and people with heart conditions. It's very easy to Google this subject and see the expert opinions. Keep the kids out of the hot tub. It's not just an inconvenience, as it is a danger, too. Trust me, I am a parent so I understand. However, I researched things that were not safe for my child. I didn't just allow her to do everything when she was younger.

Getting off my soap box..

Whats the difference between a hot tub and a bath:confused:

Try cannonballing into a bathtub, and you will find out! Kids were doing this on our Glory cruise as the pools were very chilly on way to Canada. I actually asked security to stop them, in fear one of them would break their neck. BTW - security did nothing. :eek: I went over and told the 3 kids doing it to stop - which they did. (it's the teacher in me - gave them the hairy eyeball and my patient teacher voice - LOL!)

Try cannonballing into a bathtub, and you will find out! Kids were doing this on our Glory cruise as the pools were very chilly on way to Canada. I actually asked security to stop them, in fear one of them would break their neck. BTW - security did nothing. :eek: I went over and told the 3 kids doing it to stop - which they did. (it's the teacher in me - gave them the hairy eyeball and my patient teacher voice - LOL!)

That would do it, a hairy eyeball would've scared the crap out of me when I was a kid:eek:

I can understand why some of the crewmembers don't want to take any action. A lot of crewmembers are judged by the number of complaints they receive... you saw in an earlier post what response one of your fellow guests got from the kid's parents, the response to a crewmember would be worse.

I had a friend of mine who was housekeeping and she went over politely to tell someone that they were in a non smoking area and she got yelled at, then the man in question put his cigarette out on the floor and stomped on it & went straight to the pursers desk. The housekeeping girl then spent about 45 mins in the housekeeping manager's office explaining herself.

So I think a lot of crew just don't want the complaint or hassle, as they then have to explain themselves... sometimes it's a hard life for the crew hence a lot of them just "go here, do this, clean that... NOW" as it's easier. Personally I wouldn't say something, I would inform a security guard.

Please do the reasearch on it. It is advised that children not be in heated water for an extended amount of time. I would certainly hope people don't heat their bath water that hot. Also, bath water cools down.

http://www.homelivinganswers.com/hot-tubs/hot-tub-safety-with-kids.html

http://www.hot-tubs-n-home-spas.com/children_in_hot_tubs.html

Just two sites, but there are many!!

They don't say keep kids out of hot tubs, just not to treat them like swimming pools

No, they talk about overheating. Did you read further down?

snipped from first website:

It is important that strict limits are placed on the time that children are allowed to stay in the hot tub. The smaller bodies of children will heat up faster than adults which can raise their internal body temperatures to dangerous or even fatal levels very quickly. Actual allowable time will be dependant on the temperature of the water.

Snipped from second website:

Another safety consideration is the temperature of the water your child is exposed to in a hot tub. Children, especially toddlers and infants, have thinner skin and are thus prone to overheating. According to government safety guidelines, a child should not stay in hot tubs for longer than five minutes at a time. Infants and toddlers should not be taken into a spa and exposed to dangerously hot temperatures at all.

I'm a mom, too. I am not against children in the pools or pool area. I just put that warning out there about hot tubs.

OP did you point this out to Carnival staff? Were your pleas ignored?

They cant have someone everywhere. Also staff in that area at the time may not be permitted to instruct individuals of certain rules.

Just have to tell you, love your avatar. This CA girl has been a Dolhpin since the 70s. Go Dolphins, this will be our year.

Nancy

No, they talk about overheating. Did you read further down?

snipped from first website:

It is important that strict limits are placed on the time that children are allowed to stay in the hot tub. The smaller bodies of children will heat up faster than adults which can raise their internal body temperatures to dangerous or even fatal levels very quickly. Actual allowable time will be dependant on the temperature of the water.

Snipped from second website:

Another safety consideration is the temperature of the water your child is exposed to in a hot tub. Children, especially toddlers and infants, have thinner skin and are thus prone to overheating. According to government safety guidelines, a child should not stay in hot tubs for longer than five minutes at a time. Infants and toddlers should not be taken into a spa and exposed to dangerously hot temperatures at all.

I'm a mom, too. I am not against children in the pools or pool area. I just put that warning out there about hot tubs.

The one thing to remember is that every hot tub that I have been in on a Carnival ship has never been over about 95 degrees, which unless something has changed is below body temp.

Carnival is aware that people spend way too much time in the hot tubs and simply keeps the heat down.

In general your comments are right because most hot tubs ashore are kept about 104 or 105 degrees, which will cause overheating.

The one thing to remember is that every hot tub that I have been in on a Carnival ship has never been over about 95 degrees, which unless something has changed is below body temp.

Carnival is aware that people spend way too much time in the hot tubs and simply keeps the heat down.

In general your comments are right but most hot tubs ashore are kept about 104 or 105 degrees, which will cause overheating.

That may be true, but it says depending on the temperature of the water and the length of stay. They have to make the hot tub warm or people won't go in it. In any event, it heats the body temperature.

It's not safe for kids.

I'm not trying to cause a controversy..just passing on a warning I read.

Archived