do you read what you post

m steve

Doughnuts = AP Style.

No comma in a series before the "and" = AP Style.

:)

But "busses"? :confused:

As in kisses?

It's buses.

I'm with Mary Ellen and others who support the CC guidelines suggesting tolerance of others' errors.

We all make mistakes.

As for moi -- I don't proof my stuff. ;)

I had a boss who was barely literate, I swear. We had to read his emails 2 or 3 times to figure out what he was saying and, evidently, spell check was not his friend. The winner: he scheduled yet another meeting for the end of the week and to make it up to us (because there were just too many meetings interferring in our ability to get the work done), he said he would bring doughnuts - but he spelled it dognuts - I warned my cube mate to keep her pets inside that night...

Too funny:D.

My pet peeve is posts that quote other long posts that are full of photos. I have already seen the photos in the original post, I do not need to see them again. I always take them out before I quote that post.

For me, I always hit "Preview Post" and re-read the entire post. I'm often going back and making corrections and hitting "Preview Post" again several times before I have it correct to actually hit "Submit Reply". :) :)

KK, Sorry, off and on doctor visits today kept me from seeing your post. I hope the following is useful :D

I did a "screen capture" you press your " alt + print screen" keys and an image of the active window is copied to the clipboard. Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/Paint and select paste. The image will load in the Paint screen, I then used the paint brush to circle the item and saved it as a .jpeg image. Then uploaded it to Photobucket and linked it back here. :D

Sounds like a lot but took only about 2 minutes.

Spencer

Thank you KK for asking and thank you maxout for replying. I am a computer illiterate and have just learnt something new and very useful.

To the OP, sorry for getting a little off-topic:).

Sometimes (especially when I write a long cruise review) I type it in MS Word, run it through the spell & grammar check and then cut and paste it on CC. For short posts, I always use the ABC spell check above.:)

I read what I post but I do not catch spelling errors. Sorry about that. I think it is in my genes. My family name is Mc Geean. That is mispelled. You Never have three vowel in a row . I believe the correct spelling would be Mc Geehan. However we spell it Mc Geean.

My ansestors could not spell but they all had great senses of humor.

before clicking submit. There are so many spelling errors that it becomes annoying but we are not supposed to correct anyone. I know that my fingers don't always go where they are supposed to go. I have corrected errors on my posting and have even gone to advanced to correct a subject line. I just wish more posters would do the same.

I just noticed I transposed 2 letters but caught it.

You didn't catch that there is no question mark at the end of the first sentence.

Doesn't this discussion make you realise how LUCKY we are that the default "international" language of the internet by accident or design is English, and those of us lucky enough to have spoken it from the cradle should be so very, very grateful? I am always humbled and amazed at how proficient non-native English speakers are. I am told that it's a relatively easy language to learn to speak, but the spelling and pronunciation is a nightmare. Just imagine if, overnight, English was replaced by another commonly spoken language like Spanish. Most of us would suddenly be powerless to type a word. Think on...

However, the most insidious influence is the dreaded "Txt Spk" which is eroding most aspects of the written language and should be resisted at all costs. Needless to say my kids have, like, no idea what, like, I'm talking about. The sainted Judge Judy once asked one of her litigants to present her evidence without using the word "like" and the woman was struck dumb :D

While I'm on a roll I would make a request that people remember the Full Stop (Period in the US) as a useful punctuation tool and also the use of paragraph breaks in long posts. It makes them much easier to read. Thank you.

KK, Sorry, off and on doctor visits today kept me from seeing your post. I hope the following is useful :D

I did a "screen capture" you press your " alt + print screen" keys and an image of the active window is copied to the clipboard. Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/Paint and select paste. The image will load in the Paint screen, I then used the paint brush to circle the item and saved it as a .jpeg image. Then uploaded it to Photobucket and linked it back here. :D

Sounds like a lot but took only about 2 minutes.

Spencer

Thank you -- I don't belong to Photobucket or anything like that -- so I guess I am out of luck doing something like that.

I read what I post but I do not catch spelling errors. Sorry about that. I think it is in my genes. My family name is Mc Geean. That is mispelled. You Never have three vowel in a row . I believe the correct spelling would be Mc Geehan. However we spell it Mc Geean.

My ansestors could not spell but they all had great senses of humor.

The officials at your ancestors point of entry may have "decided" how their name should be spelled when they entered the country. I have ancestors that came from Scotland and Germany and you can't imagine how many ways the same name is spelled on census records.

The officials at your ancestors point of entry may have "decided" how their name should be spelled when they entered the country. I have ancestors that came from Scotland and Germany and you can't imagine how many ways the same name is spelled on census records.

Not long ago I encountered an individual with the surname Titanic,,,I swear....when I inquired about their interesting name ..it was just as you discribed... their Ukrainian name was Anglicized by some(kindly:rolleyes:) offical.,when the family entered the county a few generations earlier

and thanks to English in Spain for catching my ? error. I learned from some of the posts especially about using the spell check in the corner. I missed that. I am glad that so many feel that this is a problem or an annoyance.

As no one is perfect, no one should be *that* concerned about another's spelling or grammar. ;)

I notice errors here all the time, but I am not an elitist about it. Pointing our another's error is just plain rude!

I know I make my share of mistakes -- we all do.

Life is too short to get one's knickers in a twist over something so unimportant. :rolleyes:

I spend my work days editing copy. I don't plan on doing it during my leisure hours here.

I have no doubt that for some whose proficiency in the written word is finely tuned,glaring spelling and gramatical errors can be ,for want of a better word, grating.

However, I was taught from a very early age that everyone has something to say. If you look very carefully among misspelled words and misplaced commas , these "pearls" are easily found.

We might all do well to remember something about casting first stones and living in glass houses.

In a forum such as this does it really ,really ,matter.

I hope that whatever contribution I have made to this forum has been judged by the spirit in which it was posted and not by it's literary acumen.

Regards Colleen :)

I agree 100%. I have a master's degree in education--- spent 34 years in the classroom. I do know grammar rules and how to spell!! I read thru these posts so quickly and answer them even more quickly. Often, I will abbreviate a word or leave off capitals, knowingly!! Reading these boards is a leisuretime/fun activity for me. I couldn't care less about spelling and grammar, nor would I waste my time thinking about it. As long as I am getting my point across, without ticking people off---that's good enough for me!

For those who feel the need to correct others grammar and spelling, please think about volunteering in a classroom!! You are greatly needed there!!

I edit what I write as I type it, and make changes as I go along. Usually, but not always, I then check for typos. If I am unsure how to spell a word I use the spell-check feature.

But I don't catch all the spelling and typo errors. Sorry. :o

I do think it's important to try to write clearly, spell correctly, and format for ease in reading. As many have said, it can be hard to get the tone of the written word, and that can be helped with careful sentence construction and spelling.

But, I have to admit, I get a real chuckle over some of the misspellings. I pronounce them in my head as written, and they sound so funny.

.....I did a "screen capture" you press your " alt + print screen" keys and an image of the active window is copied to the clipboard. Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/Paint and select paste. The image will load in the Paint screen, I then used the paint brush to circle the item and saved it as a .jpeg image. Then uploaded it to Photobucket and linked it back here. :D.........

Thank you -- I don't belong to Photobucket or anything like that -- so I guess I am out of luck doing something like that.

Photobucket offers a free account.... I found it fairly easy to use. :)

http://photobucket.com/

I agree 100%. I have a master's degree in education--- spent 34 years in the classroom. I do know grammar rules and how to spell!! I read thru these posts so quickly and answer them even more quickly. Often, I will abbreviate a word or leave off capitals, knowingly!! Reading these boards is a leisuretime/fun activity for me. I couldn't care less about spelling and grammar, nor would I waste my time thinking about it. As long as I am getting my point across, without ticking people off---that's good enough for me!

For those who feel the need to correct others grammar and spelling, please think about volunteering in a classroom!! You are greatly needed there!!

Seconded.

These threads are for fun and rapid swapping of ideas and information. Since the ideas are subjective and the information is often incorrect, it hardly makes sense to quibble about grammar and punctuation.

In any case, people who live in tin houses shouldn't throw can openers.

Wonderful post!!!

The irony of this whole thread is that *some* who wax ecstatic about the joys of proper spelling and grammar have errors in their posts!

Love Navybankerteacher's comment about tin houses! :D

Archived