Why does NCL advertise Mini-suite as a Suite - when it's not really a suite?

singinglizzie

When I first made my reservations for my upcoming Pearl cruise I booked a "mini" suite because I thought it was a suite that came with all the extras. I then did some research and read all the threads regarding "mini" suites and found out that in fact you really didn't get any of the perks like the real suites did. Like someone said the cabin was a little bigger and it came with a bathtub but that was it. I decided that I wanted to spend the extra dollars and had the good fortune of getting the last Romance Suite (AD) on the ship. I agree with everyone when they say that NCL should change the name as it is very misleading. If I had not been a member of CC then I probably would not have known that I would not have received the perks that come with a suite.

I too wish they would change the category to deluxe balcony,however when checking prices how hard is it to look at the "cabin description" right next to the pricing?:rolleyes: It clearly tells you the sq. footage and ammenites. If it doesn't say "butler and concierge services available" then one should realize its not a full suite.

Most folks at CC know there is a difference. But what about the other 97% of the passengers that never visit Cruise Critic, that will get a rude awakening when they arrive in their cabin?

ETA: I know you also mentioned that you weren't referring to non-CC members. However, if you're discussing "where's the misleading advertisement?"...it's misleading for 97% of the passengers. Just because you're aware of it, and other CC members are aware of it, does not miraculously make it not a misleading advertisement on NCL's behalf anymore.

THANK YOU.... never mind. It's not worth it.

When I first made my reservations for my upcoming Pearl cruise I booked a "mini" suite because I thought it was a suite that came with all the extras. I then did some research and read all the threads regarding "mini" suites and found out that in fact you really didn't get any of the perks like the real suites did. Like someone said the cabin was a little bigger and it came with a bathtub but that was it. I decided that I wanted to spend the extra dollars and had the good fortune of getting the last Romance Suite (AD) on the ship. I agree with everyone when they say that NCL should change the name as it is very misleading. If I had not been a member of CC then I probably would not have known that I would not have received the perks that come with a suite.

Truly believe doing research before booking a suite is very important. If one is going to spend that money as we do, know what is included in the suite you are booking. We are first time to NCL on this cruise, been on other lines, booked the AD and knew what was included before I paid my money!:D

OK my flame suite is on, but why does NCL advertise rates for the mini-suites under the suite category, when in fact they are not true suites? I keep checking the prices of suites and it's very mis-leading to show mini-suites in this category? It makes the prices look very competitive, but really they are different by thousands of dollars. Do other cruise lines do this??? I understand it from a marketing standpoint, but cheez why border on mis-representation????

Most if not all the cruise lines do the same thing.

It only fools the people who are not paying attention.

NCL also advertises Freestyle - but it's not free.

Many of the same people who get fooled by the "mini-Suites" have a problem with that as well.

I always have a problem with the NCL promotional videos. They are always filled with thin, well-dressed, good looking passengers.

But when I board an NCL ship, I can never find any of those people. False advertising ????

We stayed in an AF "mini suite" on the Pearl. As others have said, it is not a suite but a balcony with a bathtub. That is what they should call it, but Balcony with Bathtub does not sound as catchy as Mini Suite, don't you think?

I like the name "Deluxe Balcony" like another poster said. It's appropriate.

The extra space is there due to the bathtub.

Deluxe: Superior or Plush...

So, a balcony cabin with a bathtub is superior to the regular balcony.

OK my flame suite is on, but why does NCL advertise rates for the mini-suites under the suite category, when in fact they are not true suites? I keep checking the prices of suites and it's very mis-leading to show mini-suites in this category? It makes the prices look very competitive, but really they are different by thousands of dollars. Do other cruise lines do this??? I understand it from a marketing standpoint, but cheez why border on mis-representation????

It really is a "suite" because it has multiple sleeping areas...so they can technically use that term to describe it.

The problem comes from the fact that NCL offers ammenities to guests in a suite...not guests in a mini-suite. I think the anger that some people have comes from the fact that they assume that because the mini-suite name contains the word "suite" that it means they will get all of the perks...and that is not the case. Its really simple to remember: Mini-suites and Suites are all "suites", however perks only come with Suites.

I think the idea of wanting to call them deluxe balconies is like wanting to call oceanview cabins "inside staterooms with a window". Meaningless.

Note to the "deluxe balcony" crowd:

The change to "deluxe balcony" would just change the name of the category. Wouldn't it be better to get NCL to offer "mini-perks" to the mini-suites instead of just changing the name? I mean, would you like to stay in a "deluxe balcony" or would you rather stay in a "mini-suite" that has some additional perks?

It really is a "suite" because it has multiple sleeping areas...so they can technically use that term to describe it.

The problem comes from the fact that NCL offers ammenities to guests in a suite...not guests in a mini-suite. I think the anger that some people have comes from the fact that they assume that because the mini-suite name contains the word "suite" that it means they will get all of the perks...and that is not the case. Its really simple to remember: Mini-suites and Suites are all "suites", however perks only come with Suites.

I think the idea of wanting to call them deluxe balconies is like wanting to call oceanview cabins "inside staterooms with a window". Meaningless.

The change to "deluxe balcony" would just change the name of the category. Wouldn't it be better to get NCL to offer "mini-perks" to the mini-suites instead of just changing the name? I mean, would you like to stay in a "deluxe balcony" or would you rather stay in a "mini-suite" that has some additional perks?

NCl is on a trend to take away perks for the lower end suites before they would add any to the mini suites

NCl is on a trend to take away perks for the lower end suites before they would add any to the mini suites

I agree that it's not very likely that NCL will add perks to the mini-suites. Where have you seen indications that they will take away perks from the lower end suites?

I think this would be a mistake because it would remove the incentive for people to book these suites, which are priced significantly more than a mini-suite. They are charging for more than just space with these prices. They are charging for the perks, even in the Penthouses.

I know if they removed the perks, I wouldn't book them any more, and it's not feasible for me to consider getting the higher end suites. Removing perks from the Penthouse suites is one thing that would probably get me to cruise less on NCL and more on other lines because it would take away the advantage of the Penthouse suite over Carnival's suites or suites on other lines. It would also mean that they would lose the benefit of introducing the benefits of "suite life" at a lower price point to people who can afford them now, in order to capture that repeat business later when people advance in their careers and can afford a higher priced suite later in life.

What do you base this on?:confused::confused::confused:

I remember booking a mini suite on Jewel when she first came out. At that time it was advertised that the minis would have conceirge service. I guess at one time the minis did have that perk, but when the Jewel class came out, with all the mini suites, that perk went away (although it was advertised for awhile longer.

What do you base this on?:confused::confused::confused:

I remember booking a mini suite on Jewel when she first came out. At that time it was advertised that the minis would have conceirge service. I guess at one time the minis did have that perk, but when the Jewel class came out, with all the mini suites, that perk went away (although it was advertised for awhile longer.

you are right.

I wonder what NCL would do first...change the name from Mini-Suite to Deluxe Balcony or give additional perks ($$$) to something that doesn't get perks. Hmmmmm....I wonder? :rolleyes:

It really isnt a matter of which path NCL might take.

The real question is: Do you want them to change the name and give you nothing, or do you want them to keep the name the same and add some perks?

And if you choose the latter, then why not lobby for the perks instead of whining about the name?

Similar to the issue with the Cirque Menu...you could lobby for the meal to be removed, or the meal to be improved. NCL choose "improve".

Great thread. We cruised NCL for the first time last December and did a Jewel mini-suite.

The only perk I expected was the robe, and I have heard though these boards that is being taken away. Does anyone have an update on that? We sail in the exact same cabin on the Pearl in March 2011 and I will be upset if that one small perk is no longer available. :mad:

BINGO!!!

That's the right answer, SeaShark!!!

Exactly what I was going to suggest. All NCL has to do is throw in one or two extra small amenities that the balcony rooms don't already get and they can call them Mini-Suites all day!

At least then, those who pay for the "Mini-Suites" will be able to recognize some value for the additional cost, and not just get a few more square feet!

I don't think Carnival does this - do they? Seems like we were able to book a balcony for 4 people with Carnival - and on NCL they only allowed 3 ppl for balcony.... would have had to pay extra for "mini suite" for 4 ppl(which is really just a balcony!!!). :rolleyes: I don't remember a "mini suite" designation. We just upgraded straight from a balcony to a suite so maybe I don't know.

The 7 of us are sailing in 2 regular balcony cabins in a few weeks on the Jewel, 4, and 3. I do agree they should remove the "suite" description, and call it a deluxe balcony.

It really isnt a matter of which path NCL might take.

The real question is: Do you want them to change the name and give you nothing, or do you want them to keep the name the same and add some perks?

And if you choose the latter, then why not lobby for the perks instead of whining about the name?

Similar to the issue with the Cirque Menu...you could lobby for the meal to be removed, or the meal to be improved. NCL choose "improve".

I just don't see NCL giving anything away by adding perks to the mini-suites. From everything I've read here and elsewhere, NCL is removing...not adding.

But, YES, I would prefer NCL to add "mini" perks to the mini suites. Maybe they can add a few perks that don't cost them anything...or very little.

- Use of Cagneys for breakfast and lunch.

- Priority embarkation /disembarkation

- Use of concierge (no butler)

- Extended menu for room service (full breakfast - order from any dining room)

That's just my 2 cents.

Too many mini suites to make those suggestions practicable.

It's a whole deck of mini suites on Jewel class.

They'd have to hire another concierge (or two). Everyone wouldn't fit in Cagneys.

I think Princess also has the designation of mini suite. All they offer is a larger cabin and two TVs.

First the mints go, then the pillows, then the perks in the AE and AD suites. they could offer ( for a extra fee ) some of the perks back, like Cagneys breakfast and lunch. It's all about the bottem line, thats why they check all the alcohol in luggage.

Doesn't the cost of a mini suite fall closer to the balcony than a full suite? Why should mini suites receive many of the same perks suite pax get?

I have sailed in the AC on the Sun and I am very aware of the difference in what I paid compared to the mini 2 doors down. Likewise I know the difference in cost to the AA and understand the perks they received that I did not... such as Lavazza, free liquor and flatscreens. Simply said, you get what you pay for!

Want perks? Book a suite... Don't suggest NCL just dole them out to minis and dilute them. IMHO.

Exactly my thoughts, I want to know how much a real suite costs. I truly wish the mini-suite rates woudn't come up under the suite category since they are not really suites. I want to know the real bottom line price of a suite not a psuedo-suite!!!!

Yeah, and I can't see anywhere in the booking process where it says 'mini suite'. Since I don't know all the mini suite and suite categories, when I was looking at pricing (for SUN) , I thought AF and AG were full suites with perks because, not only is it listed with the suites, but when you choose one of those categories and it takes you to the page showing the available cabins and deck plan, it says SUITE not 'mini suite'. How would anyone ever know that this is a mini and doesn't have all the suite perks? I would have been pretty p'd off if I had booked one not knowing it didn't have suite perks.

P.S. I'm not saying the mini's should have suite perks. I'm saying that the website should say 'mini suite' not suite, at least on the page where you see the available cabins and deck plan.

Yeah, and I can't see anywhere in the booking process where it says 'mini suite'. Since I don't know all the mini suite and suite categories, when I was looking at pricing (for SUN) , I thought AF and AG were full suites with perks because, not only is it listed with the suites, but when you choose one of those categories and it takes you to the page showing the available cabins and deck plan, it says SUITE not 'mini suite'. How would anyone ever know that this is a mini and doesn't have all the suite perks? I would have been pretty p'd off if I had booked one not knowing it didn't have suite perks.

P.S. I'm not saying the mini's should have suite perks. I'm saying that the website should say 'mini suite' not suite, at least on the page where you see the available cabins and deck plan.

Would it not be easy to read the description of the mini suite? No where does it say any of the perks that come with a AE or above, come with the mini.

Al

Archived