So why would you use a discount agency?

crusinbanjo

So I have been watching prices on a cruise for some time now. Normally I shop a few different websites and compare the prices between the online sites, HAL's website and my regular TA. I don't usually go for the lowest price, but it does help when talking to the TA and helps keep them on their toes when they know you are always looking around. What I am noticing now is that there is no difference in price at all. Right to the penny doesn't matter what site or TA. HUMM..... ......What's up with that?

Discounters are now forced to tow the HAL line of same price.

My discounters always offers OBC or Free insurance. One has points that you redeem for cash OBC or insurance or both. The other offers straight OBC. Our most recent booking netted about 9% OBC based on the value of the cruise.

So I have been watching prices on a cruise for some time now. Normally I shop a few different websites and compare the prices between the online sites, HAL's website and my regular TA. I don't usually go for the lowest price, but it does help when talking to the TA and helps keep them on their toes when they know you are always looking around. What I am noticing now is that there is no difference in price at all. Right to the penny doesn't matter what site or TA. HUMM..... ......What's up with that?

On line agencies can no longer advertise lower prices on their web sites. You have to call them to get their actual cost. Saved about 12% on my last booking for next March. :) That's on the actual fare, no other gimmicks like OBC's or free travel insurance.

Travel agents, in the good capitalistic spirit, are each trying their best to find some advantage for themselves in the face of the new uniform pricing practices being imposed by the cruise lines.

Some agencies are offering OBC, some reduced cost insurance...and on and on.

The large on-line Houston agency I'm using is offering attractive OBC's. Works for me.

HAL has cracked down on the On line agencies most were always complying with HAL's rules but some were not, the trick is to find an agent with the on line agencies that is knowledgeable and ask them what they can offer. That is when you will see the great discounts or ship board credit it can be either or with HAL.

PRICE. We view a cruise booking as a commodity item with a short shelf life. From our perspective, it is not much different than booking an airline ticket. We generally know exactly what we want and we do not need any help or assistance other than the 'booking' of the cruise. We have used the same on line TA for the past several cruises. Her price is always good-much better than the cruise line price.

PRICE. We have used the same on line TA for the past several cruises. Her price is always good-much better than the cruise line price.

The trick is finding one like that. CC doesn't allow anyone to answer if we ask.

You are not finding Agents which have blocked Group space...You can't compare prices on the WEB sites...Our Agent normally has group space & also offers OBC..We normally save between 7% & 9 % by factoring in the OBC..

On line agencies can no longer advertise lower prices on their web sites. You have to call them to get their actual cost. Saved about 12% on my last booking for next March. :) That's on the actual fare, no other gimmicks like OBC's or free travel insurance.

HAL has cracked down on the On line agencies most were always complying with HAL's rules but some were not, the trick is to find an agent with the on line agencies that is knowledgeable and ask them what they can offer. That is when you will see the great discounts or ship board credit it can be either or with HAL.

Randy & Lisa both know what they are talking about..If it wasn't for Randy & Heather on this board, we probably would still be booking directly with HAL..In addition Lisa aka LAFFNVEGAS is a knowledgeable TA..

They saved us a bundle on our Prinsendam Amazon cruise in 2006... After booking with HAL I found a price which was about 10% less & called HAL..The HAL Supervisor said "HAL can't compete with our "High Producing Travel Agents" who have blocked group space..He then suggested, we FAX HAL a letter, to have them release the original booking to our new Travel Agent..Since 2006 we've saved quite a bit of $$$.. This year within 9 months we have three cruises booked.. Two of them are the longer cruises..We found our Agent on- Line...

Just last week I was able to get an excellent fare on the Noordam in Nov., for our Friends who will be joining us on the last half of our cruise..

Pick up the phone & talk to the Travel Agents!..When you decide on one, check them out with both the BBB & the State Consumer Protection Agency, where they do business..Read the fine print re changes & cancellations... Also never make payment in full unless its within final payment date..Always be sure that the Cruise Line puts the charge through & not the Travel Agent, both for the deposit & full payment..

Good Luck..Cheers....:)Betty

The trick is finding one like that. CC doesn't allow anyone to answer if we ask.

That's very true, but we all had to do our own homework... ;) It takes some searching. to find a good TA...

We also happened to use a TA which advertised on Cruise Critic in the beginning..

In addition on your first cruise, join the Roll Call...When you meet other posters you can ask them in person the name of their TA..Just don't do it on these boards..

Cheers....Betty

Although several years ago our agent was replaced, we have been extremely pleased with the agency's service and prices. We may receive OBC, free Pinnacle dinners, champagne, wine, strawberries dipped in chocolate, hors d'oeurves depending on the cruise! Also, the agency is part of a "group", so sometimes there is a "perk" from the group and one from the agency. BTW, everytime I receive a coupon in the mail from HAL, I contact my agent; sometimes we receive the Future Cruise discount, a coupon discount, some "goodies" listed above, and our stock holder's OBC!!:D:D:D

TA's are no longer (I believe) allowed to advertise a lower price. So, you have to call. Sometimes they will have a group rate or will just kick back part of their commission. The best prices these days are with TA's who have a group rate. It might only be on certain category cabins, but not the one you want.

The "agency" takes its cut too. Deal with the cruiseline direct and be prepared to haggle. They don't like it but they DO want your business so take advantage of that fact.

??? Are you telling us that you have gotten HAL to match an on-line agency price? I just want to know if you are posting from experience?

That is very high. Was it a group rate?

"Always be sure that the Cruise Line puts the charge through & not the Travel Agent, both for the deposit & full payment..

Good Luck..Cheers....:)Betty "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the reasoning behind this? I have found this on other threads also.

"Always be sure that the Cruise Line puts the charge through & not the Travel Agent, both for the deposit & full payment..

Ther reasoning is that if the TA has your money, and not HAL, and they go under - your cruise is not paid. So you may have paid your money, and have no cruise, and be part of a long list of creditors in a bankruptcy proceeding against that now defunct discount/online agency.

One of the larger online cruise agencies based out of the US went under about 18 months ago and had been doing just that with payments. IIRC, most of their business was with Royal Caribbean, whom eventually agreed to honour peoples cruise bookings, even though they (Royal) weren't going to get paid.

I question whether that would happen again now as cruise lines (rightly so) are getting tired of taking a hit because of irresponsible agencies. I believe the agency in question was working on just a tiny percentage of net revenue after the consumer rebating and it just wasn't sustainable.

I'm not initiating a big debate about it, but suffice to say that there are many people on CC whom frankly rely on big online "discount" travel agencies kicking back what is ultimately their compensation/pay, to subsidise their cruising. For many people it works, but you have to be careful. The advice to make sure your payments are billed directly by the cruise line is good advice indeed.

One of the larger online cruise agencies based out of the US went under about 18 months ago and had been doing just that with payments. IIRC, most of their business was with Royal Caribbean, whom eventually agreed to honour peoples cruise bookings, even though they (Royal) weren't going to get paid.

I question whether that would happen again now as cruise lines (rightly so) are getting tired of taking a hit because of irresponsible agencies. I believe the agency in question was working on just a tiny percentage of net revenue after the consumer rebating and it just wasn't sustainable.

You are talking about CVC (where CC did allow us to post the name because it was such a mess). In that case the company that bought them was the problem using one passengers fare to pay the next. Some people booked before the sale of the company but got stuck with the mess. We found out they were charging credit cards to their company (not to the cruise line), knew something was not right but had a booking with them made two years earlier. We called and also emailed that they were only authorized to charge my credit card to the cruise line (which they did). I think they closed their doors the following week.

The original owner was working on about the same percentages they do now, which was for the most part splitting their commission. They also took a $25.00 if you booked by phone so the agents would get something right away.

Good explanation below..

Ther reasoning is that if the TA has your money, and not HAL, and they go under - your cruise is not paid. So you may have paid your money, and have no cruise, and be part of a long list of creditors in a bankruptcy proceeding against that now defunct discount/online agency.

I'm not initiating a big debate about it, but suffice to say that there are many people on CC whom frankly rely on big online "discount" travel agencies kicking back what is ultimately their compensation/pay, to subsidise their cruising. For many people it works, but you have to be careful. The advice to make sure your payments are billed directly by the cruise line is good advice indeed.

Exactly!

You are talking about CVC (where CC did allow us to post the name because it was such a mess). In that case the company that bought them was the problem using one passengers fare to pay the next. Some people booked before the sale of the company but got stuck with the mess. We found out they were charging credit cards to their company (not to the cruise line), knew something was not right but had a booking with them made two years earlier. We called and also emailed that they were only authorized to charge my credit card to the cruise line (which they did). I think they closed their doors the following week.

The original owner was working on about the same percentages they do now, which was for the most part splitting their commission. They also took a $25.00 if you booked by phone so the agents would get something right away.

Jade is correct it was Cruise Value Center & for a while some of the posters on this board were quite worried about their cruises being paid....

This is the thread about the debacle:

Filed for Bankrupcy: see RCCL Board: Oct. 26, 2009

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1081681

Also check out Kween Karen's thread on the same subject: KWEEN KAREN THREAD ENTITLED: AGENCY ISSUE

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1025166&page=14

url]

Betty

Why use a discount agency? The answer is simple, To save money." Sure there are price controls enforced by the cruise lines (some might call this price fixing) but there are still savings to be had by those willing to do a little shopping. Some agencies will often have group rates or certain promotional rates which are discounted. And there are other incentives such as on-board credits. We recently booked a Princendam cruise with a discount agency and received a $1050 on board credit which was not available from HA. The savings do vary by cruise but it always pays to shop.

Hank

Good explanation below..

Exactly!

Jade is correct it was Cruise Value Center & for a while some of the posters on this board were quite worried about their cruises being paid....

This is the thread about the debacle:

Filed for Bankrupcy: see RCCL Board: Oct. 26, 2009

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1081681

Also check out Kween Karen's thread on the same subject: KWEEN KAREN THREAD ENTITLED: AGENCY ISSUE

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1025166&page=14

url]

Betty

Thanks for the link. Someone told me recently that Kween Karen's agency was CVC. I remember reading "Florida" and this TA (new owner) was in Detroit.

So, now I'm curious because a "wire coming through" implies the agency in question paid up. I actually spoke to this new owner who was a bunch of bull. Someone posted his cell and I caught it before it was deleted.

One thing I do now is ask an outside agent I might use to forward a pdf "Guest Copy" from the cruise line confirming payment in full.

When I booked I received an email from the agency, & within 3 hours also received an email from HAL, I was able to go to my booking on HAL, & see that it indeed was paid in full, already got my email docs from them, quite pleased with the whole transaction.

Many cruise lines are cracking down on agencies discounting rates. Royal Caribbean did it first and now others are going that way as well. Sure, there are a "backdoor" ways to get around it (group rates, shipboard credit, offer free insurance, etc.). Have TRUST in your agent and his/her agency. A good agent will not lead you astray as they want you to be happy so they get your repeat business and maybe even referrals. Remember, many times it's the old saying "you get what you paid for" and a good agent won't let you down. Don't always trust the websites either. One cruise line offered great upgrades when called by an agent, but not if a potential passenger called or on their website. Bottom line: be comfortable on who and how you book your trips. JMO.

That is very high. Was it a group rate?

I actually don't know and didn't ask. I honestly don't know the specifics of how a group rate might work and if it applies to a number of cabins in a specific category or cuts across the whole inventory. We booked a specific cat S so not even a guarantee. Obviously the savings, due to the category, was a nice chunk of change.

Archived