gratuities

peanutJMV

Wow, that is kind of harsh. I do care/feel bad that they have to be away from their families, I know I am very grateful I am not in their position.

I don't think that it is harsh, just none of my business. I was raised in a military family and we were always away from family and friends, just the way it is.

Wow, that is kind of harsh. I do care/feel bad that they have to be away from their families, I know I am very grateful I am not in their position.

It's not harsh at all. It is an honest opinon, and one I agree with. It could matter less to me how long they have been on the ship(s) or away from their family. It's their choice to be there -- or leave. End of story.

A personal attack is really not necessary - all I was saying is it really doesn't matter how the cruise line splits up the autotip - if you find the people you have direct contact with merit a greater tip then you certainly have the option to do that.

your right, lets just let it go, no insult intended.

I guess it doesnt matter how the cruise line splits up the auto tip, it just took me by surprise.

truce----

Are you kidding me? It is every bit your business as it is your money they are splitting up. I know for me, I want to make sure that those that are taking care of me(cacbin stewards, waiters, etc.) are rewarded more than someone that may do one thing in the entire week.

Do you worry about it in a land based restaurant? Part of your money that you think goes to the server, also goes to the bar tender, the bus person, the person who prepares the silver ware, the person who carries your food to the table and possibly others.

Oh, you did not use all those people? Too bad, your server has to share the tips you give them with those people and you don't have a choice in the matter.

Would you be happier if a cruise line simply said that the gratuities are $10 pp/pd and did not let you know how they are divided?

Just leave the auto gratuities alone and give anyone that you want as much extra as you want.

Other than that it is non of your business how Carnival or any other business requires its employees to split gratuities.

Are you kidding me? It is every bit your business as it is your money they are splitting up. I know for me, I want to make sure that those that are taking care of me(cacbin stewards, waiters, etc.) are rewarded more than someone that may do one thing in the entire week.

This was my point exactly, thanks. Some on the boards interpreted that I was asking about a paycheck,,salary had nothing to do with it. It was a simple question inquiring that the service fees (I was being charged) are received for the great service, the cabin steward offered the addl information whether he was being honest, who knows. Im certainly not interested in anyone's paycheck other than my own.

----See what I started....oh boy......

I have to say one thing........ When someone is expressing their opinion and you don't agree there is no reason to personally attack them. So you like green and I hate green, who cares. If we all liked the same things life would be boring. I have made posts on here about what I like, and been told nasty things - give me a break the only thing you will do is cause people to stop posting.

completely agree. which is why i have started using my edit members. those posters who seem to have a negative/harassing/demeaning postings i have them removed. so that way i never even see their posts. POOF, my enjoyment of cruise critic has dramatically improved (1000% at least). :p disagreeing or voicing opposing sides is normal behavior. but to be dismissive or demeaning most, if not all, of the time - that is getting really old really fast.

This was my point exactly, thanks. Some on the boards interpreted that I was asking about a paycheck,,salary had nothing to do with it. It was a simple question inquiring that the service fees (I was being charged) are received for the great service, the cabin steward offered the addl information whether he was being honest, who knows. Im certainly not interested in anyone's paycheck other than my own.

----See what I started....oh boy......

I understood exactly what you were asking, obviously others didn't.

I don't recall talking about any land based restaurants, yet they get mentioned. My point was I just want to make sure the proper people are getting their due.

And also how fortunate most of us are to be able to cruise, etc. Obviously some people don't share these sentiments with their comments about not giving a $#@ about the help and their families.

And for the above post about how they(the help) could just leave, it is their choice...........why do you think they are on the ship? because they have no decent work where they are from.

Hope this is not how you deal with anyone who has a different opinion than you in your life. That's more of the attitude of a dictator.

Actually I dont, I happen to be a very caring, compassionate and understanding person

everyday with my work and my family.

The comment I made was harsh and not necessary, I lost a bit of control, struck me the wrong way. I spoke with the other party and believe it was resolved and put behind us

I feel better.

Have a good night

Peanut

This is wrong............all tips go directly to who you give the tip to.......this has been posted by John Heald..........

I pay auto tip but I most of the time give certain people extra $ in cash at end week..

Its good to hear all tips go directly to who you give the too. Thats what I wanted to hear

If you choose to tip extra, tip extra. The people who work on the ships are making enough money to make it worth them doing it. A few years ago, a celebrity was caught having her designer line of clothing made in a sweatshop. The girls left the farm to work in the sweatshop because the pay was good. American outrage pressured the celeb to close the sweatshop. A reporter went back to find out the result of the factory closing. Some might think the girls went back to the farm, some did but many turned to prostitution. Some righteous Americans inadvertently contributed to prostitution. Nobody is forced to work on the ships.

Most cruises split the tips evenly. I agree with an extra tip this is 100% unfair. I always give my extra tips in cash. I know many of them pocket it, they can get fired for it though.

They also take off credit card fees (you know it's more then they pay) and they tax the employees on them.

Basically if you add $100 to your sign and sail card for your Maid/Steward or Waiter it will not go to them directly. I understand why they do it but it's not right.

Where do you get this hogwash? No 2 cruiselines do tips the same way. And since this is the Carnival board, this is Carnival's way:

Auto-tip of $10.00 pppd

$3.50pppd, ALL of $3.50 goes to the Room steward of YOUR individual cabin. All and any cash tips on top of that also go to the room steward and only to the room steward.

$3.50pppd goes to the waiter of your individual table, plus the same as above.

$2.00pppd goes to the assistant waiter of your individual table, plus the same as above.

$1.00pppd goes to the buffet workers to be split among them. Any extra cash you give any buffet worker is theirs to keep.

That's the whole $10.00pppd on Carnival.

RCL does it much the same way but they give pax a voucher that can be handed to the workers on the last evening. The voucher is not necessary, if the tips are left on one's account, the workers receive their tips, voucher or no voucher.

NCL charges a SERVICE FEE of $12.00 pppd, NOT a tip. Don't know how they split it

MSC charges an auto-fee of $12.00 pppd. This one is split among all service workers including bar workers so there is no 15% added to bar tabs like other lines do. MSC is the only line I'm aware of that pools all tips.

No line that I am aware of charges the workers fees.

That was heavily discussed and denied by Carnival on this board.

I do not care how long crew have not seen their families, or how many people they split their tips with, or how hard they work. I tip at least the amount suggested by the cruiseline and do not give the situation another thought.

It can be so simple.

I totally agree with you. Who goes on vacation to delve in the business of those who are paid to provide a service to its clients?

The real point is that the OP got a "snow job" from the worker. As all those who inquire into what is none of their business, should get.

Roughly 250% of tipped cruise workers have sick families back home, where they haven't be able to get to in 3, 4, 7, 10, or 15 years. And they have around 27 sisters and brothers they are paying to put through medical school. And their homeland has recently suffered a horrendous storm, flood, earthquake, fire, insurrection, and/or plague.

Nice math! :D

I think its totally fair :D .

Just listen to some of the reasons people may take back an auto tip, 80% of the time it had very little to do with the person you actually interface with, spotty glasses, dirty sheets, bad food, late food, etc. these problems originate behind the scenes.

Also the person at point of contact, have many opportunities to receive renumeration for a job well done, the guy who keeps ur cooler full always get a 'thumbs up tip' :) but i haven't heard of many guest leaving tips for the guy in-charge of servicing the ice machine! :mad:

Recently sailed the Miracle and had a wonderful time. Just have a little information I wanted to share.

Service charges $10.00 PP per day I found is well earned.

We had no intention and did not remove any tips, the cabin steward, asst and dining room waiters were tipped addl by us for the impeccable service.

Being curious, as we were leaving the ship, I asked a cabin steward (no names mentioned) if they do receive the gratuities as before they started the auto service charge. The reply was they do receive money, now it is split among several people in the department, (cabin steward, asst, employees who brings the linen, glasses.

Im not so sure this is quite fair to these hard working people. (Not that the other staff doesnt work hard and deserve a paycheck but let carnival pay them accordingly).

I dont have a problem with auto tipping, I have an issue with how it is distributed, I would prefer this money go to the stewards and dining staff as prior, What are your thoughts.?.

Why shouldnt tips be distributed to everyone?

In real life, i don't like the fact that sales people get comissions and then depend upon others to 'complete' the job. A thank you, bonus, donuts, lunch or whatever to us service people would be nice once in a while

Why shouldnt tips be distributed to everyone?

In real life, i don't like the fact that sales people get comissions and then depend upon others to 'complete' the job. A thank you, bonus, donuts, lunch or whatever to us service people would be nice once in a while

A very high percentage of sales people get ONLY commissions, no salary. If they don't sell, they don't eat. If you wish to share in the commissions, you have to give up the salary. Also if the salespeople don't sell, there are no support people, and no support jobs.

Now a salesman/woman that doesn't show their appreciation for the support people is simply a dumb azz.

Candy, flowers, something they liked that an observant person could see by looking at their work space. And a pizza and beer party every month went a long, long way to thanking the support people for all the favors that salespeople inevitably need.

Where do you get this hogwash? No 2 cruiselines do tips the same way. And since this is the Carnival board, this is Carnival's way:

Auto-tip of $10.00 pppd

$3.50pppd, ALL of $3.50 goes to the Room steward of YOUR individual cabin. All and any cash tips on top of that also go to the room steward and only to the room steward.

$3.50pppd goes to the waiter of your individual table, plus the same as above.

$2.00pppd goes to the assistant waiter of your individual table, plus the same as above.

$1.00pppd goes to the buffet workers to be split among them. Any extra cash you give any buffet worker is theirs to keep.

That's the whole $10.00pppd on Carnival.

RCL does it much the same way but they give pax a voucher that can be handed to the workers on the last evening. The voucher is not necessary, if the tips are left on one's account, the workers receive their tips, voucher or no voucher.

NCL charges a SERVICE FEE of $12.00 pppd, NOT a tip. Don't know how they split it

MSC charges an auto-fee of $12.00 pppd. This one is split among all service workers including bar workers so there is no 15% added to bar tabs like other lines do. MSC is the only line I'm aware of that pools all tips.

No line that I am aware of charges the workers fees.

That was heavily discussed and denied by Carnival on this board.

---Thats what I understood it to be Dan, thanks for posting

Just trying to figure out my budget for cruise, and as we are going in a big group want to know if gonna pay 6 or 7 days of tips.

I keep seeing people say it is 10$ pp/ per day... so if i'm on a 6 night cruise, do they take out 7 days of tips even though on the last day you just wake up and leave, or will a 6 night cruise be 6 days... ie 60$.

Thanks!

Just trying to figure out my budget for cruise, and as we are going in a big group want to know if gonna pay 6 or 7 days of tips.

I keep seeing people say it is 10$ pp/ per day... so if i'm on a 6 night cruise, do they take out 7 days of tips even though on the last day you just wake up and leave, or will a 6 night cruise be 6 days... ie 60$.

Thanks!

If its listed on Carnival as a 6 day cruise, then it will be $60.

Archived