gratuities

peanutJMV

Recently sailed the Miracle and had a wonderful time. Just have a little information I wanted to share.

Service charges $10.00 PP per day I found is well earned.

We had no intention and did not remove any tips, the cabin steward, asst and dining room waiters were tipped addl by us for the impeccable service.

Being curious, as we were leaving the ship, I asked a cabin steward (no names mentioned) if they do receive the gratuities as before they started the auto service charge. The reply was they do receive money, now it is split among several people in the department, (cabin steward, asst, employees who brings the linen, glasses.

Im not so sure this is quite fair to these hard working people. (Not that the other staff doesnt work hard and deserve a paycheck but let carnival pay them accordingly).

I dont have a problem with auto tipping, I have an issue with how it is distributed, I would prefer this money go to the stewards and dining staff as prior, What are your thoughts.?.

I would think the people that bring the linens, glasses, etc, would receive a small percentage, but are part of why the steward can make up the rooms and serve the guests as well as they do. I saw many times that the asst. would be vacuuming while the steward was making up the bed in the next cabin. If the stewards had to do these other tasks they would have less time in the cabins and the service wouldn't be as good.

I really don't understand people's pre-occupation with a cruise lines pay structure. Do you also pick apart how Macy's pays their sales people? Or what the person who made the clothes you are wearing got paid?

The employees on a cruise ship are not indentured servants - they actually line up to get the job - it is most likely a far better job and pay scale than most could get in their home land.

If you feel certain people earned a greater tip - by all means - tip away - I am certain it is appreciated.

I am not knowledgeable enough to know every person that may be working behind the scenes to enhance my vacation. I honestly don't want to try to figure it out. We pay our auto-tips and extend other gratuities as we see fit. I'm glad there are suggestions/guidelines to help us out ;)

I really don't understand people's pre-occupation with a cruise lines pay structure. Do you also pick apart how Macy's pays their sales people? Or what the person who made the clothes you are wearing got paid?

The employees on a cruise ship are not indentured servants - they actually line up to get the job - it is most likely a far better job and pay scale than most could get in their home land.

If you feel certain people earned a greater tip - by all means - tip away - I am certain it is appreciated.

-----------------------------

-----You missed the whole point, I personally dont care what the cruise line pays their employees, that wasnt the issue: Why bother, your not worth it....

I am not knowledgeable enough to know every person that may be working behind the scenes to enhance my vacation. I honestly don't want to try to figure it out. We pay our auto-tips and extend other gratuities as we see fit. I'm glad there are suggestions/guidelines to help us out ;)

_________

Thanks to those for your opinions and most have very valid points, I understood the auto tips were dispersed to the cabin stewards, asst and dining staff, so I was actually surprised to learn others were included.

Thanks for your opinion.......

Being curious, as we were leaving the ship, I asked a cabin steward (no names mentioned) if they do receive the gratuities as before they started the auto service charge. The reply was they do receive money, now it is split among several people in the department, (cabin steward, asst, employees who brings the linen, glasses.

Im not so sure this is quite fair to these hard working people. (Not that the other staff doesnt work hard and deserve a paycheck but let carnival pay them accordingly).

I dont have a problem with auto tipping, I have an issue with how it is distributed, I would prefer this money go to the stewards and dining staff as prior, What are your thoughts.?.

Excuse ME:confused:

Your WHOLE point was about what the cruise line pays its employees

It's the same at restaurants here in the U.S. Waiter "tips out" to the bartender, hostess, food runner, busboy, sometimes others. Some places I worked it was even a mandatory contribution - a certain percentage of your sales whether or not you made money from that table or not.

-----------------------------

-----You missed the whole point, I personally dont care what the cruise line pays their employees, that wasnt the issue: Why bother, your not worth it....

A personal attack is really not necessary - all I was saying is it really doesn't matter how the cruise line splits up the autotip - if you find the people you have direct contact with merit a greater tip then you certainly have the option to do that.

Why anyone worries about how employees of any establishment are paid is beyond me. If you want to tip someone tip them, but be aware that in almost every business where tips are earned they are split. It is very very rare for the person receiving the gratuity to keep all of it.

I really don't care how they split it. Carnival says $10 pp/pd that is all that I care about. If I give someone extra what they do with it or have to do with it is their business not mine.

Recently sailed the Miracle and had a wonderful time. Just have a little information I wanted to share.

We had no intention and did not remove any tips, the cabin steward, asst and dining room waiters were tipped addl by us for the impeccable service.

Since Carnival states in writing that the ROOM STEWARD receives $3.50 pppd. And Carnival's writings ARE looked at by at least the Florida Attorney General. [see: port taxes &/or fuel surcharges] There is something wrong with the story, repeat, "story" the room steward told you.

It is common knowledge by experienced cruisers on this board that a room steward may CHOOSE to have assistants, or NOT. If he/she does choose to have people help with the job, the room steward is responsible for paying them.

I do not ask any crew member about their pay and I do not tell them about my pay. It is NONE of our business. But I have overheard many people asking about the tips. Every answer I've heard is obviously slanted to elicit MORE money from the passenger. And the answers are infinitely, "flexible!"

Hope this is not how you deal with anyone who has a different opinion than you in your life. That's more of the attitude of a dictator.

The real point is that the OP got a "snow job" from the worker. As all those who inquire into what is none of their business, should get.

Roughly 250% of tipped cruise workers have sick families back home, where they haven't be able to get to in 3, 4, 7, 10, or 15 years. And they have around 27 sisters and brothers they are paying to put through medical school. And their homeland has recently suffered a horrendous storm, flood, earthquake, fire, insurrection, and/or plague.

I do think that your steward was gilding the lily a bit when he told you how many he has to share his tips with. I do know that they pay their assistant, but I don't for one minute believe that they pay all the others they mention.

The only way I could see them tipping those mentioned is if they are too lazy to get their own glasses, linens etc. It has been mentioned many times that tips are not shared on Carnival. (except for the $1 daily for buffet people and for waiters/assistant waiters in my time dining.) If a steward chooses to have an assistant, it's up to the steward to pay the assistant.

I don't care what the steward chooses to do. It's his money, his way of doing things. I know that there are people working on the ship that embellish their stories to get additional money. I'm sure this is the same thing.

How Carnival, or any other cruise line splits up the gratuities is none of my business..

Are you kidding me? It is every bit your business as it is your money they are splitting up. I know for me, I want to make sure that those that are taking care of me(cacbin stewards, waiters, etc.) are rewarded more than someone that may do one thing in the entire week.

I do not care how long crew have not seen their families, or how many people they split their tips with, or how hard they work. I tip at least the amount suggested by the cruiseline and do not give the situation another thought.

It can be so simple.

Most cruises split the tips evenly. I agree with an extra tip this is 100% unfair. I always give my extra tips in cash. I know many of them pocket it, they can get fired for it though.

They also take off credit card fees (you know it's more then they pay) and they tax the employees on them.

Basically if you add $100 to your sign and sail card for your Maid/Steward or Waiter it will not go to them directly. I understand why they do it but it's not right.

I have to say one thing........ When someone is expressing their opinion and you don't agree there is no reason to personally attack them. So you like green and I hate green, who cares. If we all liked the same things life would be boring. I have made posts on here about what I like, and been told nasty things - give me a break the only thing you will do is cause people to stop posting.

I would never remove my automatic service charges, even in the case of less than stellar service. It is such a small amount that it is for me a non issue. When I think the room steward, and other staff have done and outstanding job, I tip them extra the last night of the cruise.

Im not sure if I have just been a bit "dense" before and not noticed this, but on this last cruise I have noticed this change to the number of service providers. On previous cruises I have only had one person cleaning my stateroom. Last year on the Liberty, I noticed there was a steward and an assistant doing this work. Again on the Freedom last week, I had a room steward and his assistant. The assistant was the one who actually cleaned and serviced my stateroom.

Also re the dining room; previously I have had a head waiter and an assistant waiter, including last year on the Liberty. This last week on the Freedom, we had a Team head waiter, a team waiter, and an assistant waiter. All three were involved in serving me at dinner time, and did a mighty fine job at that I must say!

So while Carnival is cutting costs on many things, I am just wondering at the increase in the people who serve you. They are not cutting on the amount of people who look after you. This is just something I noticed this most recent cruise. Im not sure if this is new, or I have just not noticed before.:)

I had a very wonderful and fun filled 8 days on the Freedom by the way!

Most cruises split the tips evenly. I agree with an extra tip this is 100% unfair. I always give my extra tips in cash. I know many of them pocket it, they can get fired for it though.

They also take off credit card fees (you know it's more then they pay) and they tax the employees on them.

Basically if you add $100 to your sign and sail card for your Maid/Steward or Waiter it will not go to them directly. I understand why they do it but it's not right.

This is wrong............all tips go directly to who you give the tip to.......this has been posted by John Heald..........

Archived