Moscow vs. Berlin on Princess

oceanbabe

Sorry if this is wrong place, but dont know where else to ask? Going on Emerald next June to Baltics/Scandanavia. Would really love to see Berlin and especially Moscow. Is it worth going from Warmunde (Sp?) to Berlin and from a day in St. Petersberg(we have 2 days) to Moscow? I know both incur long rides and expense. Love the oniontype church tops, nesting dolls, jewish sites, etc. If anyone can help me would appreciate. thank you, elaine

I love both Moscow and St. Petersburg. I have been to both 2x.

If this is your first time in St. Petersburg, spend the 2 days there. There is more then enough to see there to impress you.

Moscow also needs several days to see properly (same with St. Petersburg). Red Square is often closed for various reasons, often with out notice. I would hate for you to spend the money and go to Moscow and not be able to walk in Red Square (you can see it from outside the square when it is closed but it is not the same).

I agree with Coral. You can't do St. Petersburg in a day, or even two days. It's a marvelous city with a LOT to see. Likewise Moscow although Moscow isn't as visually exciting as St. Petersburg. If you haven't been to either before, spend your time in St. Petersburg. I've been to both cities several times, spending anywhere from a couple of days to a week each time.

FYI, we used a tour company, SPBTours to arrange tours in both St. Petersburg and Berlin. We only had to contact one person for both tours. The owner, Viktoria arranges everything and her husband, who is German, oversees the Berlin tours. Both were fabulous tours.

We did the Baltic in 2008...it was fantastic and the two days in St. Petersburg was great..tho exhausting...

we added 5 days to the end of the cruise to do Berlin, Munich, Vienna and Prague on our own...fantastic cities... wish we had added more time...

if you have the time, it is well worth the few extra $$$ to do it this way. It was great....

Princess does not offer a tour from St. Petersburg to Moscow and it would be quite difficult to do it on your own (starting with the need to secure your own visas which is a quite complicated process).

There will be no cabs at the pier to take you to either a train station or the airport.

I do not know if a private tour company could arrange this for you, but it would not be inexpensive if they can.

Princess does not offer a tour from St. Petersburg to Moscow and it would be quite difficult to do it on your own (starting with the need to secure your own visas which is a quite complicated process).

They used to offer it for several years it and then they stopped but I read someone say that they are now offering it again this past year. It is not listed under the shore excursions if you select the port but it wouldn't surprise me if they brought it back. It would be a very long day and there is enough in St. Petersburg to keep one busy.

Both times I have gone to Russia, I had to get my own visas and it isn't that difficult. I sent the form to a visa service and 2 weeks later, I had the visa and my passport back.

I agree with the prior posters. Stay in St. Petersburg!! I have been to both Moscow and St. Petersburg and the latter is more beautiful with more historic sites to see. Do not miss the Peterhof (unbelievable), Catherine's Palace (incredible) or the Hermitage (amazing). You can barely skim the surface in two days in St. Petersburg. I recommend Red October tours in St. Petersburg instead of the ship's tours. I felt we saw more for half the money.

I stayed in Warnemunde and did not go to Berlin. Warnemunde was a delightful sea resort town and easy to walk around. I had a great time just strolling around. Of course, I had been to Berlin on a prior trip so I am sure that colored my decision. You are in for a fantastic vacation!

If you want a good dose of history, culture, and architecture, don't miss Berlin. I lived there for 3 years and think it's just a fabulous city. And, of course, since you expressed an interest in Jewish sites, there are many of them in Berlin.

Princess did offer a trip to Moscow last year. ( Overland By Train To Moscow)

The tour leaves from Helsinki and goes by train to Moscow. I believe all the June cruises except June 6th stop in Helsinki before St. Petersburg. I called Princess and they didn't know if it is going to be offered in 2011.

Archived