pocket knife confiscated

dw64

but I would much rather deal with high security and loose a few privileges than risk loosing my life to terrorists while traveling.

If your are referring to TSA procedures at airports, you should realize that it is mostly window dressing to make you think there is true security.

o TSA does not beleive any of those liquids confiscated are hazardous. If they did, instead of keeping them in a box or barrel at their work station all day, a HAZMAT team would be summoned to immediately properly dispose of them.

o TSA does not check pills to make sure they are not cyanide tablets. Just add water available on board to simulate the California death chamber.

o TSA does not check CDs or DVDs to make sure that is what they really are. They could be a weapon with part of the edge fashioned to be razor sharp.

o TSA allows electric cords (for example for an electric razor) which can be used as a choking weapon.

o etc. I am sure terrorists can think of many more potential weapons than can make it past security.

I have been on many flights on other continents and nobody needs to take off their shoes to go through security. I do not feel any less safe because of that.

You are one tough crowd!:rolleyes:

Maybe what the OP was referring to by being Elite is because he's been

on so many Princess cruises, yet never was treated so rudely before.

I think that is exactly the case. One slighly over-zealous security guard stepped over the boundaries and needs some coaching in how to deal with people. Who hasn't run into a rent-a-cop, real police officer, or TSA agent that cops (sorry :)) an attitude because they've got a pretty uniform?

The same thing happened to my wife at the airport. She had a tiny Swiss Army knife with a 1 inch blade that had been a gift. She forgot it was in her purse. The security agent acted like he needed to call a Code Red and call in the guys with the M-16s. Fortunately a supervisor stepped in and handled the situation very professionally.

I think that is exactly the case. One slighly over-zealous security guard stepped over the boundaries and needs some coaching in how to deal with people. Who hasn't run into a rent-a-cop, real police officer, or TSA agent that cops (sorry :)) an attitude because they've got a pretty uniform?

I'd continue to reserve judgement on this part since we have no idea what was said to the security guard by the passenger. Since the OP, while still on her cruise, found it necessary to come here to CC to tell everybody about it and finding it necessary to also tell us that they are Elite (so what, I am also but don't flaunt it or find it excuses not abiding by the rules) I can't help to wonder what might have been said to prompt that remark. :confused:

Forgot I had a dive knife in my bag a couple of trips back. Made it on board. Went off the ship with me in St Thomas..coming back on I got swarmed...I was embarassed because I forgot it was there. But the real FUN was, they took it and stored it. SOOO every time I left the ship and my card went in,BING BING BING BING...."do you want your dive knife?" Every time I boarded BING BING BING BING "did you take your dive knife with you?" I stored it for the whole cruise. When we hit Ft Lauderdale and we were disembarking DING DING DING...here is your knife....By the time I got it back...they could have kept the bloody thing.....

That exact thing happened to us! although each time we boarded the ship, they asked my husband if he had a pacemaker! We laughed each time. One time they told him to just walk in after it beeped.

If your are referring to TSA procedures at airports, you should realize that it is mostly window dressing to make you think there is true security.

o TSA does not beleive any of those liquids confiscated are hazardous. If they did, instead of keeping them in a box or barrel at their work station all day, a HAZMAT team would be summoned to immediately properly dispose of them.

o TSA does not check pills to make sure they are not cyanide tablets. Just add water available on board to simulate the California death chamber.

o TSA does not check CDs or DVDs to make sure that is what they really are. They could be a weapon with part of the edge fashioned to be razor sharp.

o TSA allows electric cords (for example for an electric razor) which can be used as a choking weapon.

o etc. I am sure terrorists can think of many more potential weapons than can make it past security.

I have been on many flights on other continents and nobody needs to take off their shoes to go through security. I do not feel any less safe because of that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who realizes that all this checking really doesn't make us safer.

On a recent flight from ORD to IAH my 3 year old was asleep in his stroller as we entered security. While we were in line I removed his shoes and then took him out of the stroller, folder the stroller, placed it on the belt and carried the sleeping child through the detector. This is something I've done many times. However, this time I was told that the sleeping child must walk himself so I put him down on his feet, took his hand and tried to get him to walk to the other side. Apparently, since I put my arm back in the detector he failed. They then called for a male and female hand search agent to search us. Really, a hand pat down of a sleeping baby? Good grief.

P.S. - They were nice enough to leave my pocket knife intact in my carry on.

I travel 100% for my job, usually via air, so I no longer carry my handy pocket knife in my purse. At least once a week I seem to come upon some activity where I miss it. At least at the ship they are willing to return it. At the airport, it is "mail it home" or give it up.

While I don't bring knives with me from home when travelling, I sometimes buy one as a souvenir. On our Alaskan cruise in June, I bought a beautiful, locally hand made knife in Juneau. When I got back to the ship, I told the security people what I had in the small wrapped package. They ran it through the x-ray machine and said that it was longer than the allowed limit and that they'll have to keep it until we disembark back in Seattle. On the last day, when I inserted my cruise card into the machine on my way off the ship, a message popped up and they handed the knife back to me. I was still able to disembark without any delays.

I think the Sapphire crew handled the whole process efficiently and I'm glad that Princess has a level of security that makes me (and most other passengers) feel safe without being too intrusive or heavy handed.

Things like this I find incredibly funny.

Yes the ship will take your 3" pocket knife and return it to you, usually the night beofre arrival.

They will take your dive knife and ask you if you need it when you go ashore.

So all the time you're on the ship you don't have a knife.

Oh wait..

They give me one every time I eat.

Silly.

Gramps

Yes the ship will take your 3" pocket knife and return it to you, usually the night before arrival.

Oh wait..

Silly.

Silly? I'm not sure how much damage you think one could inflict with the so-called steak knife that you get when you order a steak as opposed to a six inch blade dive knife. That's like comparing a pellet gun to a 12 gauge.

Why don't some understand that when security tells you 'NO' they mean it? No matter what type of damage a 3" knife could or could not do vs a ship's steak knife, that has nothing to do with it. Sometimes I think you all just like to debate things and don't realize that it's their cruise ship, and their security and their rules, and if they say it isn't allowed, then do as they say or leave the ship, it's as simple as that. Evidentally they don't want you walking around the ship anymore with any type of knife in your pocket in this crazy world. :rolleyes:

Why don't some understand that when security tells you 'NO' they mean it? No matter what type of damage a 3" knife could or could not do vs a ship's steak knife, that has nothing to do with it. Sometimes I think you all just like to debate things and don't realize that it's their cruise ship, and their security and their rules, and if they say it isn't allowed, then do as they say or leave the ship, it's as simple as that. Evidentally they don't want you walking around the ship anymore with any type of knife in your pocket in this crazy world. :rolleyes:

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

I have had a nail file confiscated and a whole nail file kit taken. My husband asked how come I forgot to toss the nail file into the checked baggage. I had been in a hurry to pack to go home and you know going home you don't care how your clothes go in the suitcase...it got lost in the shuffle and went into my carryon instead of the big suitcase. I had a friend who played darts and kept her darts in her purse where they always stayed in between dart night. We were flying from Toronto to Edmonton...she flew out okay but going through secruity going home they were picked up on the scanner and she had to go and check them. You just never know. Put the knife in your checked bag and it should be okay I would think.

Bravo - finally a fair and reasonable comment.

I knew right away that the OP was saying about being Elite -she said "Mind you, we are Elite. He has carried this knife on & off the ship the last 3 days. Much less the last 20 plus cruises. Now we are criminals" Clearly the knife had passed thru many times without incident.

No argument - the security guard felt like the rules required that he confiscate the knife but I have a big problem with the rude and unnecessary remark he made "You Americans are obsessed with guns & knives". I would have given him the knife, taken note of his name and been sure that his supervisor recieved a written comment about how rude he was.

Yes the ship will take your 3" pocket knife and return it to you, usually the night beofre arrival.

Oh wait..

Silly.

Gramps

It seems to me that if they give you a knife at dinner they should be checking to see if it's on the plate when finished.

Hard to believe people on this board are so paranoid about such trivial things in life. I often wonder how they cope with everyday life at home. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that if they give you a knife at dinner they should be checking to see if it's on the plate when finished.

Hard to believe people on this board are so paranoid about such trivial things in life. I often wonder how they cope with everyday life at home. :rolleyes:

I agree with you as well.....

Bob

Like some other posters, i don't understand the need for a knife. We have never traveled with one. I do understand that divers might need their dive knife, but Princess has a policy that allows them to have them.

If there was an incident with a passenger attacking or injuring someone with a pocket knife they were allowed to bring onboard I wonder what the backlash of such an incident would be?

The snarky-sounding comment from the security person about Americans was uncalled for, however. Enforcing the rules should be done with courtesy and professionalism.

Please leave your concealed weapons at home.

Most security measures are only carried out to make the vast majority of the population believe that something is being done to protect them. This is of course nonsense. You go through airport security and then go to a shopping area that sells soooo many things you could make a weapon out of if it were your wish.

I remember not long after the IRA bombed my camp in London, I was doing some guard duty. I was told I had to check everybodies ID card (This was a camp with 500 people) I said you must be mad. I know nearly everybody. I work with 95% of them every day. I don't need to see their ID to know who they are. It was explained to me then that we were not worried about our security as we had all the areas covered that we could, but we needed to be seen to be doing something extra to help the civilians living near us feel safer. It is well known to the military that it makes no difference what security you put in place, because a determined mind will always find an alternative.

Most security measures are only carried out to make the vast majority of the population believe that something is being done to protect them. This is of course nonsense. You go through airport security and then go to a shopping area that sells soooo many things you could make a weapon out of if it were your wish.

I remember not long after the IRA bombed my camp in London, I was doing some guard duty. I was told I had to check everybodies ID card (This was a camp with 500 people) I said you must be mad. I know nearly everybody. I work with 95% of them every day. I don't need to see their ID to know who they are. It was explained to me then that we were not worried about our security as we had all the areas covered that we could, but we needed to be seen to be doing something extra to help the civilians living near us feel safer. It is well known to the military that it makes no difference what security you put in place, because a determined mind will always find an alternative.

All true, but we don't need to make it even easier for the bad guys, either.

All true, but we don't need to make it even easier for the bad guys, either.

The fact of the matter is we don't make it easier and we don't make it harder all we do is make them rethink. There is always an alternative target or means.

I think that's enough doom and gloom from me! Cruising is great! Enjoy your holidays!

Matthew

I work for a retail store (you'd know it if you heard it) and if we arrive before hours, we have to show our employee ID card and our government ID card before they will let us into the store. And yes, I've been working there since the store opened and all the managers know who I am, but it's the rule. Stupid in my opinion, since they know who I am, but apparently ('cause rules are rules) necessary.:rolleyes:

I generally carry a small Buck pen knife #309 which has a blade that is 2" long...I just leave it at home when I travel now. However I do miss it and am curious if Princess has a policy re length of blades.

They obviously don't have a stated policy, but they reserve the right to confiscate it. Put it in your checked luggage and don't take it off ship and you'll probably be fine.

Archived