pocket knife confiscated

dw64

On board Caribbean Princess. Coming on board from a day in Boston, my husband's 3 inch pocket knife was confiscated. We were treated like criminals. The security guard went as far to tell us, "You Americans are obsessed with guns & knives". Mind you, we are Elite. He has carried this knife on & off the ship the last 3 days. Much less the last 20 plus cruises. Now we are criminals. How-ever Security guard Phil said we could have brought on board a sheaf knife, with 3 times the blade length, just not a pocket knife. We might attack his crew. We were told it would be waiting for us as we disembarked. RIGHT. With all the masses leaving, they will have his pocket knife, at the machine that takes our picture. Sure!! What is cruising coming to?

Sorry this happened to you and you felt as those you were being treated like criminals, but a pocket knife is (in a sense) a concealed weapon. Security is getting tighter and tigher now and I forsee it only getting worse with things like this. I am not sure what being Elite has to do with carrying a knife onboard in your pocket though????

My DH always misses his pocket knife when we travel, but he has always had to leave it at home.

I consider boarding a ship no difference than boarding a flight when it comes to knives and weapons. Did they allow the 3" knife on the flight?

Sorry your pocket knife was taken. I have read on other threads people did get their possessions back when they leave. Hopefully the same will happen for you.

Sad to say this is how things have become. You may be a fine person but those that aren't have ruined it for the rest of us. My husband has to leave his at home too.

Forgot I had a dive knife in my bag a couple of trips back. Made it on board. Went off the ship with me in St Thomas..coming back on I got swarmed...I was embarassed because I forgot it was there. But the real FUN was, they took it and stored it. SOOO every time I left the ship and my card went in,BING BING BING BING...."do you want your dive knife?" Every time I boarded BING BING BING BING "did you take your dive knife with you?" I stored it for the whole cruise. When we hit Ft Lauderdale and we were disembarking DING DING DING...here is your knife....By the time I got it back...they could have kept the bloody thing.....

Sorry your knife was confiscated; hope it is returned at the end of your cruise.

I'm wondering what the Princess Captain's Circle status has to do with it. Would it be more of a violation if the pocketknife owner were a Gold or Platinum member? That's the implication, if it less of a violation for an Elite member. :confused:

Reading about the dive knife incident was hysterical - especially since it happened to me the same way. Everytime we left the ship, we were questioned about whether we needed the knife. We were so tired of being asked about it that we have left it at home on other cruises. We have made lots of jokes about it & by the way, we did get it back as we left the ship - no problems.

We went on the Diamond last summer, my son who had just turned 18 brought with him a knife, it was checked during the flights, so no problem, but when the suitcase was scanned coming on the ship, the security officer brought it to the room and stated they needed to keep during the cruise but would return to him in Whitter. I know why the knife, we were doing a land trip after he likes to carve wood and wanted to start a carving in Alaska.

We had no problem getting the knife back when we disembarked. Completely understand why they took it on a ship and was not a big deal. It is way better than the airport where you would never see it again.

On board Caribbean Princess. Coming on board from a day in Boston, my husband's 3 inch pocket knife was confiscated. We were treated like criminals. The security guard went as far to tell us, "You Americans are obsessed with guns & knives". Mind you, we are Elite. He has carried this knife on & off the ship the last 3 days. Much less the last 20 plus cruises. Now we are criminals. How-ever Security guard Phil said we could have brought on board a sheaf knife, with 3 times the blade length, just not a pocket knife. We might attack his crew. We were told it would be waiting for us as we disembarked. RIGHT. With all the masses leaving, they will have his pocket knife, at the machine that takes our picture. Sure!! What is cruising coming to?

Omg i had that same problem! It was on the same ship only i had three Chinese throwing stars and they said they lost them or didn't have them but anyway i feel ur pain

Frankly, I'd be expecting this type of thing from now on. I am sure you will indeed get it back, but the reality is that all of us are paying the price for the acts of a few. Personally, I'd rather not chance the embarassment and inconvenience and bring anything questionable. Not sure why this was particularly important to the OP, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Why take a knife onboard in the first place?

I don't get it, you are on vacation. :rolleyes:

It's a bit of a multipurpose tool and very handy...especially traveling. I always have my mini Swiss Army knife in my purse (except when I travel by air), and in my suitcase otherwise. What don't you get? Just wondering.

It's a bit of a multipurpose tool and very handy...especially traveling. I always have my mini Swiss Army knife in my purse (except when I travel by air), and in my suitcase otherwise. What don't you get? Just wondering.

I take a leatherman in my checked luggage. It stays in the cabin.

I don't carry it around with me on the ship or take it off the ship in ANY port.

Why don't you carry your knife it in your purse when you fly?.. Exactly. :)

Anyone that does carry a weapon onboard is at the mercy of ship security, you step foot onboard you abide by the rules. Read the contract.

Note that due to a maddeningly vague advisory about the possibility of perhaps there might be the potential for a terror attack, we are now at threat condition Fuschia...

I say that in jest but sometimes thats all it takes for the more militant security types to ramp up. Have to fly soon, shuddering at what fresh heck TSA will have up their sleeve.

Unfortunately this is just another sign of the times. If we want to travel we all have to adjust to new standards. When I was young my father never went anywhere, except to bed, without his pocket knife. Now he can't come to visit me at work with it in his pocket because I work in a government office building. It's sad that some people have ruined so many things for those of us that are honest and non-violent, but I would much rather deal with high security and loose a few privileges than risk loosing my life to terrorists while traveling.

This is from Carnival's Prohibited Items list on their website:

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

It seems that a small pocket knife is Ok on Carnival. I know that I have carried a small pocket knife on in the past with no problems. As for it being a weapon, I could almost always grab something within arms reach of me that would be a much more formidable weapon than my small pocket knife.

Sorry your kinfe was confiscated. Just out of curiousity, what does being "Elite" have to do with the fact your knife was confiscated.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

The Princess Passenger Contract sez:

"You may not take on board firearms, controlled or prohibited substances, inflammable or hazardous items, any other items prohibited by applicable law, or any other item Carrier deems in its sole discretion to be detrimental to the safety or comfort of any person. You agree Carrier has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Your stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search You, Your baggage and/or personal effects at any location."

So it's at Princess' discretion that the knife was confiscated. And I agree that they will get the knife back at the end of the cruise. It may take them some time and will be a lesson learned. :)

You are one tough crowd!:rolleyes:

My husband got his pocket knife confiscated at the port of Los Angeles,

but they also offered to hold it for us and that we could get it back

upon our return. We told them just to keep it.

Maybe what the OP was referring to by being Elite is because he's been

on so many Princess cruises, yet never was treated so rudely before.

This is from Carnival's Prohibited Items list on their website:

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

It seems that a small pocket knife is Ok on Carnival. I know that I have carried a small pocket knife on in the past with no problems. As for it being a weapon, I could almost always grab something within arms reach of me that would be a much more formidable weapon than my small pocket knife.

I have no idea whether Carnival Cruise Line's security guidelines are the same, similar or different from Princess'. HAL's are similar but not the same. The only thing the three lines (and others such as Cunard, Windstar, etc.) have in common is that they are owned by the same holding company, Carnival Corporation & PLC.

....so .........what did you think those metal detectors .......that we all have to walk through each time we board...........are there to detect......:rolleyes:.....guns and knives...:rolleyes:

Up until I switched from camera that used film to digital cameras, I would put the film in a lead bag whenever it would be subjected to x-ray.

Of many passes through the security x-ray on Princess, there was only one time that they questioned me about this solid object (the lead bag) that they could not see through. I just told them there was film inside and they let me go on without actually looking inside.

I suspect you would have no problem getting the pocket knife on board if it was in a lead bag within your carryon.

Archived