pocket knife confiscated

dw64

I have been on many flights on other continents and nobody needs to take off their shoes to go through security. I do not feel any less safe because of that.

Explanation given to me was because some shoes have metal inserts in the soles (I have a pair like that). Wear the shoes - metal detector goes off and a mandatory patdown... take off the shoes - no metal detector alarm... no patdown. Seems simple!! Speeds things up a little.

Hi All

Can we all stop talking about the steak knifes in the Crown Grill you know the ones the ones the size of swords,

recall when you used to get real knifes on planes,

I do not want plastic round edged knifes on cruise ships.

yours Shogun

That your DH's knife was confiscated really shouldn't warrant a complaint. As others have said, on their ships, Princess can make the rules. Your choice is whether or not to book Princess cruises.

However,

The security guard went as far to tell us, "You Americans are obsessed with guns & knives".

True or not, this was entirely uncalled for, and, frankly, I would have made sure someone in a position of power (i.e. head of security) knew that this is the way that the communication went. I am not rude, and don't tolerate rude treatment by others.

Hi All

Can we all stop talking about the steak knifes in the Crown Grill you know the ones the ones the size of swords,

recall when you used to get real knifes on planes,

I do not want plastic round edged knifes on cruise ships.

yours Shogun

Good point... but (initially) the reason for changing the cutlery on planes was a weight issue. Less weight, less fuel. Doesn't mean that won't happen on ships, but not many people come onto a plane in a suit or tux for dinner!! ;)

frankly, I would have made sure someone in a position of power (i.e. head of security) knew that this is the way that the communication went. I am not rude, and don't tolerate rude treatment by others.

The more I get to know you.. the more I'm sure you would have done just that!! :D

I generally carry a small Buck pen knife #309 which has a blade that is 2" long...I just leave it at home when I travel now. However I do miss it and am curious if Princess has a policy re length of blades.

My husband always takes the small travel sized swiss army pocketknife with him. He puts it in the checked luggage for the flight but has never had an issue taking it on and off the ship. He never tries to conceal it, I think usually it goes in a bin with coins and cell phone when reboarding. I think the blade is only 1-1/2 or 2 inches. It seems to come in handy but I suppose he will need to leave it home now.

Good point... but (initially) the reason for changing the cutlery on planes was a weight issue. Less weight, less fuel. Doesn't mean that won't happen on ships, but not many people come onto a plane in a suit or tux for dinner!! ;)

That has to be the funniest reason for removing sharp knives from flights I have ever read, thanks for the laugh! :)

I'd continue to reserve judgement on this part since we have no idea what was said to the security guard by the passenger. Since the OP, while still on her cruise, found it necessary to come here to CC to tell everybody about it and finding it necessary to also tell us that they are Elite (so what, I am also but don't flaunt it or find it excuses not abiding by the rules) I can't help to wonder what might have been said to prompt that remark. :confused:
You are correct, we can't provide accurate evaluation, just interpretation of what was posted. I'm not arguing whether or not the rules make sense. I'm just suggesting that the persons responsible for enforcing those rules was perhaps over-zealous in the application. And in the process, giving the OP the benefit of the doubt rather than just tossing her under the bus.

Explanation given to me was because some shoes have metal inserts in the soles (I have a pair like that). Wear the shoes - metal detector goes off and a mandatory patdown... take off the shoes - no metal detector alarm... no patdown. Seems simple!! Speeds things up a little.

Not quite true.

Airport metal detectors don't work down to floor level as many shoes have metal in the soles and they would set off the alarm all the time. Because of this, if you were to carry something in your shoe it wouldn't set the alarm off. Hence the reason for Xraying your shoes.

This is being done on a more selective basis now. Here in the UK the operator of the machine glances at your feet and makes a decision whether you take them off or not. It seems that women with block heels always have to take theirs off. I tend to wear slip ons and am rarely asked to take mine off.

Matthew

Not quite true.

Airport metal detectors don't work down to floor level as many shoes have metal in the soles and they would set off the alarm all the time. Because of this, if you were to carry something in your shoe it wouldn't set the alarm off. Hence the reason for Xraying your shoes.

This is being done on a more selective basis now. Here in the UK the operator of the machine glances at your feet and makes a decision whether you take them off or not. It seems that women with block heels always have to take theirs off. I tend to wear slip ons and am rarely asked to take mine off.

Matthew

Interesting... Thanks for that. Maybe the US just has not gotten up to speed on the latest Xray techniques.

I'm comforted to know that Princess is taking security measures. With everything going on in the World today how can anyone be angry. A weapon is a weapon. And being "elite"....is no excuse to be able to break the rules.

While I feel safest on vacation on a cruise line, just remember that a cruise ship was hijacked about 35 or so years ago in the Med and a passenger was murdered in front of his wife. Cruise lines began extra security procedures at that time, including dogs that sniff suitcases for gun powder residue. Between threats from Somali pirates, terrorists, and other threats from those who wish us harm, I feel good about cruise ship security. Maybe they could have been nicer but we weren't there and didn't hear how the OP spoke to security to get that reaction.

I for one applaud the security when they note a security violation and take action. I forgot that I brought my BIL a 6 inch knife in Alaska and forgot to take it out of my bag, They asked me if I intended to take it on board and pointed out it wasn't allowed, and then held it until I picked it up at the next port and mailed it to BIL, lest I forget and not put it in checked luggage at the airport.

While I have found security to be a little curt, they have not been rude, rather they were professional. If he was rude, it should be commented on at the passenger service desk so his attitude could be adjusted.

Why take a knife onboard in the first place?

I don't get it, you are on vacation. :rolleyes:

I carry a medium sized Swiss Army knife all the time. Embarkation it’s buried in the checked luggage and stays on the ship on port days.

Other than the knife, the screwdriver, tweezers and bottle opener have been used several times on every cruise.

Some of us cut our duct tape rather than tear it.

The more I get to know you.. the more I'm sure you would have done just that!! :D

You ain't seen nothing yet! ;) (But you will soon, only a few more weeks!!!)

ETA: Here's my story in a related vein. We were cruising B2B cruises out of LA (San Pedro) on Princess. We carry a small pair of scissors that I use to trim DH's hair in between the haircuts I also give him. We purposely packed the zip lock bag carrying those scissors in our checked bags, but when we arrived at LAX, we moved that bag from it's outer pocket of the checked bag to a carryon because we needed a couple of other small items from that bag right away. We were stopped and made to open our bag and removed the scissors right there in the terminal at San Pedro (before we ever got to the Princess check in). We were told they would be returned at the end of the cruise. So the next weekend, on turnaround day, we walked off the ship with our smallest rolling suitcase...empty. We reclaimed the scissors, placed them in the otherwise empty suitcase, walked outside the terminal building and handed it to a baggage handler. The suitcase, with the offending scissors in it, was delivered to our cabin within the hour.

My 2 cents = There are many knives on a cruise ship in the main dining hall that could be

snatched for use so what's the harm in a multi tool--but anyhow it happened to me too.

We were boarding the ship in Vancouver and all of a sudden there appeared a security guard next to the lady searching my luggage and they were asking what I needed the hammer for.

I said "huh?"

"There is clearly a hammer showing up on the x-ray" they told me.

When they took it out it turned out to be the tiny hammer that came with my Yukon Gold chocolate bar! They had a good laugh over that and I was allowed to keep it. Good thing too as that sucker cost me $20!

Yseone :)

I only read the 1st couple of posts on this subject & it was already getting so judgemental & confrontational that I ignored it.

And then to see it's still being discussed with 69 posts is amazing!

I admit that I didn't take the time to read all of them but reading the 1st couple & the last few, I'm glad that I didn't get involved with this subject.

I'm only posting now because I'm second guessing if these CC boards are truly to share experiences. I have to admit that during one of my 1st times using the board, the subject became argumentative.

But there is too much attacking each others opinions...there are always 2 sides to any issue.

However too often just agreeing to disagree isn't the norm! :eek:

Why take a knife onboard in the first place?

I don't get it, you are on vacation. :rolleyes:

Keith,

Don't forget that divers use knives as tools in the water...not weapons.

I recall on EOS (the other cruiseline!!!) on a Caribbean itinerary, my US Diver's knife was packed in my suitcase with mask, etc etc.

Guess what? The knife arrived no problem to my stateroom...no call from ship's security staff. So I had this in my possession (8 inch blade and strong enough to drive a railroad spike) and as I walked off the ship in Cozumel (because I was going diving) I had it strapped to my leg.

Well you should have seen the eyes go agog when I slapped my card in to go ashore as I was surrounded by ...you guessed it, ship's security staff, who grilled me and asked me how I brought the "weapon " onboard. I advised them that I had the knife in my possession since embarkation in Miami and that if they Xrayed the luggage as they said they do, they wouldn't have had to ask the question.

I did turn it in on re-boarding, but RCCL unlike Princess make you go ashore and pick up your "contraband" at the far end of the pier in MIA...a true inconvenience at time of disembarkation.

I suppose that the OP should be lucky that at least it was at the Princess gangway for reclamation at the end of the voyage. A good reminder!!!

Ciao for now!!!

OMG didn't realise so many people carried knives with them!!

I will be lookiing at everybody on GP to see if they are carrying.

I can't understand why on earth you would need a pocket knife on a cruise.

Don't forget that divers use knives as tools in the water...not weapons.

I'd always swore I would never dive without my dive knife, just in case I become entangled in something (fishing line scares the heck out of most divers). But, honestly, and against all rules of diving, I no longer take mine when I'm while on a cruise. It's proven to be just too much trouble.

I'd always swore I would never dive without my dive knife, just in case I become entangled in something (fishing line scares the heck out of most divers). But, honestly, and against all rules of diving, I no longer take mine when I'm while on a cruise. It's proven to be just too much trouble.

Most of the concerns & comments on this board are from people who haven't the slightest idea of what you talking about. Half of them are afraid of being assaulted by a pocket knife.

OMG didn't realise so many people carried knives with them!!

I will be lookiing at everybody on GP to see if they are carrying.

I can't understand why on earth you would need a pocket knife on a cruise.

What my husband carries is really a multi purpose tool, it has a small knife blade, little screwdriver, small scissors, tweezers, etc. and is not intended to be used as a weapon. I can't even count how many times it has come into use on a vacation, such as removing luggage tags, cutting a loose thread off clothing, etc. I think carrying a pocket knife comes from a farming upbringing, where it cuts hay twine, pipe fittings, etc, and in all his years has never considered it a form of protection. Maybe the problem is confusion with a real weapon verses a multi purpose tool. Of course, we wouldn't want to violate any rules and will leave it home now, but since we have had no problems in the past we did not realize that it was an issue, and I think this is what the OP is conveying also.

What my husband carries is really a multi purpose tool, it has a small knife blade, little screwdriver, small scissors, tweezers, etc. and is not intended to be used as a weapon. I can't even count how many times it has come into use on a vacation, such as removing luggage tags, cutting a loose thread off clothing, etc. I think carrying a pocket knife comes from a farming upbringing, where it cuts hay twine, pipe fittings, etc, and in all his years has never considered it a form of protection. Maybe the problem is confusion with a real weapon verses a multi purpose tool. Of course, we wouldn't want to violate any rules and will leave it home now, but since we have had no problems in the past we did not realize that it was an issue, and I think this is what the OP is conveying also.

"What some call "Multi Purpose" tools can be used as weapons.

Bob

Archived