Ft. Lauderdale - I know 17th Street is best, but...

elycelynne

Just in case I can't get something reasonable in the Downtown area on Priceline for 1 night pre-cruise this coming February, which areas are the next best in terms of being "pedestrian friendly" -- close walking proximity to reasonably-priced (not fast food) restaurants, somewhere to pick up a 12-pack of soda, and close enough where I wouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg in taxi fares from the airport and to Port Everglades?

Just from what I've seen so far, I've ruled out Weston, Plantation and North Ft. Lauderdale, as those seem to be pretty far. Hollywood looks to be a little far -- am I correct in that assumption? Which leaves (I think) Beach area, Airport (which I believe includes Dania) and Airport North.

The Priceline areas other than downtown are too spread out to predict whether it will meet your criteria. Some of the airport area hotels are pedestrian friendly and near stores, and they are close to the port/airport (the 3.5* hotels are too isolated...you might have a better chance with the 3* hotels). The Ft Laud beach zone hotels are pedestrian friendly and most are close to stores (not the Marriott Harbor Beach or Sheraton) but some are not close to the port/airport (Il Lugano, Ocean Sky). Hollywood is not terribly far but cab fare could be high. You could check direct booking prices at the airport Hampton Inns or Sleep Inn in Dania and know that you will be close to stores, and have free breakfast and shuttles.

What's the 3-1/2 star downtown hotel on Priceline? I know the Renaissance and the Hilton Marina are 4 star, and the Riverside and Hyatt Place North are 3 star. So which hotel does that leave? I couldn't find anything on Better Bidding.

IMO sticking with the 17th Street Causeway hotels is your best bet. The beach resorts (as I'm sure Royal will agree) will require top dollar in February. And, the mom and pop motels, still sitting between the luxe hotels on the beach may be more than you bargained for when it comes to a well maintained room and property.

17th is a great area because it's the only place near the port where there are marketplaces. Even Hollywood beach doesn't have a market, just small indy owend stores.

What's the 3-1/2 star downtown hotel on Priceline? I know the Renaissance and the Hilton Marina are 4 star, and the Riverside and Hyatt Place North are 3 star. So which hotel does that leave? I couldn't find anything on Better Bidding.

I would be very interested in finding this out too. Other than Riverside, I don't know of any hotels downtown and I've lived off the downtown river almost my whole life.

I've never used Priceline so I'm curious. Does Priceline consider guest houses? I know there are two or three off Las Olas.

Interesting thread! Thanks!

Otherwise known as the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road that people have been getting from bookitdotcom? Would that be a good choice, and are there places to eat around there to which I could easily walk? Royalcruz, would that be one of the places that you were referring to as "airport Hampton Inns"?

My husband & I are booked at the Il Lugano Resort Hotel. How is this hotel? We will be meeting some friends for a pre-cruise dinner on Sunday, October 17th at Duffy's. How far from the hotel is Duffy"s?

Elaine

Otherwise known as the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road that people have been getting from bookitdotcom? Would that be a good choice, and are there places to eat around there to which I could easily walk? Royalcruz, would that be one of the places that you were referring to as "airport Hampton Inns"?

Yes that is one of them. It is a very good choice, across the st from Oakwood Plaza (Kmart, chain restaurants, movies, B&N, big discount stores). I like to eat at Ale House in the plaza, just past Home Depot. The other is off of S.R. 84.

My husband & I are booked at the Il Lugano Resort Hotel. How is this hotel? We will be meeting some friends for a pre-cruise dinner on Sunday, October 17th at Duffy's. How far from the hotel is Duffy"s?

Elaine

The hotel is a very nice recently built boutique hotel in north Fort Lauderdale, a few blocks from the beach. It is about 7 miles north of Duffy's. If you decide to skip Duffy's, Greek Islands Taverna is 2 blocks away and is terrific.

I was under the impression that the 3-1/2* hotel was Riverside. Anyone else know?

Yes that is one of them. It is a very good choice, across the st from Oakwood Plaza (Kmart, chain restaurants, movies, B&N, big discount stores). I like to eat at Ale House in the plaza, just past Home Depot. The other is off of S.R. 84.

Thanks, royalcruz. Another question, if I may: If the Port Everglades shuttle from that hotel looks like it's going to be a madhouse, approximately how much would a cab cost?

Which of course turned out to be the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road. This way I won't have to worry about what to do for breakfast and I can use their airport shuttle and possibly the Port Everglades shuttle, depending on whether or not it looks like it's going to be a madhouse. I can even go to a movie!

The cost was $79 + change (including taxes). Not bad for the middle of February, I guess. Maybe I'll try Priceline again some other time when I'm not cruising during peak season. (Last year I got the Renaissance for $80 at the beginning of December, but I'm sure I'd pay MUCH more for my stay this year, considering I couldn't even get a downtown 3* for $95.)

Which of course turned out to be the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road. This way I won't have to worry about what to do for breakfast and I can use their airport shuttle and possibly the Port Everglades shuttle, depending on whether or not it looks like it's going to be a madhouse. I can even go to a movie!

The cost was $79 + change (including taxes). Not bad for the middle of February, I guess. Maybe I'll try Priceline again some other time when I'm not cruising during peak season. (Last year I got the Renaissance for $80 at the beginning of December, but I'm sure I'd pay MUCH more for my stay this year, considering I couldn't even get a downtown 3* for $95.)

Taxi to the port is $20-25.

I know you got the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road for a great price in the middle of February which is peak season so you should be tickled.

However, it is my opinion, addressing your original post, that 17th Street by far is not the best area of Fort Lauderdale.

There are so many other areas that are so less industrial (and I have a home in the neighborhood), that unless I was getting in after midnight, I'd still stay elsewhere.

I'd rather stay in a great location than be a ten dollar cab ride away from the port.

I know you got the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road for a great price in the middle of February which is peak season so you should be tickled.

However, it is my opinion, addressing your original post, that 17th Street by far is not the best area of Fort Lauderdale.

There are so many other areas that are so less industrial (and I have a home in the neighborhood), that unless I was getting in after midnight, I'd still stay elsewhere.

I'd rather stay in a great location than be a ten dollar cab ride away from the port.

I'm sure it's probably not the absolute best area of Fort Lauderdale; however, it's probably the best in terms of being the best area for a solo person without a car who wants convenience, and I had no problem with the location of the Renaissance last year. (It's also close to Bravo's and their garlic rolls.) :) I know that Las Olas gets high marks from you and royalcruz and others. For future reference, which other areas would you recommend for someone by herself with no car?

:)What areas would you suggest? The cab fare is not an issue for me.

For a tourist? In this order:

Las Olas

Galleria area

FLL Beach

Lauderdale-By-The-Sea

Hollywood Beach.

And if you are gay, Wilton Manors.

In the future, if I were to bid on Priceline or look on Hotwire, what area would correspond to the "Galleria area"? I don't recall seeing that on either site.

Archived