What's the best month to cruise Alaska?

foser22

We are thinking about doing an Alaska Cruise next year. We are flexible with our travel times and I'm wondering what are the best months to travel? When is the best weather for sightseeing? I would like to avoid the worst of the crowds if possible, but have decent weather.

We'd also like to do a cruise with land tour. Are there advantages to do doing the cruise first or land tour first. How difficult is it to do the land tour on our own. We're independent traveler's, but I like to have things fairly uncomplicated.

Thanks for your help. As you can see, we are in the very early stages...

To avoid the worst of the crowds, the shoulder seasons work best, but the ships sail full all season. Since schools are in session in May and September, there are, generally, fewer children. Both May and September have cool weather, but the probability of rain is less in May than in September. On the other hand, some inland areas aren't yet open in early May and may close by later in September. Going in August gives you a greater liklihood of wildlife sightings since that's when the salmon run, and the bears catch salmon.

The land tours are more strenuous, so some people prefer to do them first so they'll be less tired when they get home.

Late May, and early June will probably give you very little rain. Sept. will give you some 'bargains' in a few stores, but usually lots of rain, and, less daylight. Both times may give you a better cruise price.

john

May and September will deliver you slightly less people but remember that for the most part the ships do sail pretty full as people take advantage of lower fares offered during these periods. Beyond that it tends to be a toss up, I prefer the period between mid-July to mid-August for warmer temperatures.

What is best for crowds is NOT what is best for weather unless it being a little colder and less wildlife is the tradeoff you want.

IMHO the best weather is July / August but those are also the peak time. Having done peak time once and after labor day onces, I can say I'll take crowds and better weather over going in less than peak with poorer weather and fewer crowds. Lets be honest many of the places you visit shut down right after cruising, some may see this as good, some as bad.

Even in the best times weather can still be raining and cool every day.

Good luck

We are thinking about doing an Alaska Cruise next year. We are flexible with our travel times and I'm wondering what are the best months to travel? When is the best weather for sightseeing? I would like to avoid the worst of the crowds if possible, but have decent weather.

We'd also like to do a cruise with land tour. Are there advantages to do doing the cruise first or land tour first. How difficult is it to do the land tour on our own. We're independent traveler's, but I like to have things fairly uncomplicated.

Thanks for your help. As you can see, we are in the very early stages...

I want to cruise in May (dryer weather, lower fares, fewer children, etc...)

How does this affect the scenery???

(plenty of ice and snow are fine, that's what I expect from Alaska)

How do conditions in May affect the possibility of getting into some of the destinations like the fjords, Hubbard Glacier, etc...

Does anyone have any educated guess on these two things?

Thanks!

Going the second week of May, we saw lots of snow on peaks. We had Glacier Bay and College Fjord on our itinerary and had no problems getting close to the glaciers. It was cold, but that fit the scenery we were seeing. We're going the first week in June this time hoping it will be a little warmer since I've read that after the 3rd week of May, the weather improves. I think a lot of schools will still be session, so there shouldn't be as many children as you would see later yet the fares are still relatively low.

So, based on an earlier post in this thread...May is not a good time for wildlife? What about late May/early June?

Wildlife is a huge deciding factor for us. Are we better going the first week of June instead...or is there much of a difference from going last week of May to first week of June?

We want to see bald eagles, whales, and bears more than anything else.

We've sailed to Alaska four times in May & June. The weather for the most part is dry and cool. Shore based wild life is scarce. We've seen whales several times without taking a whale watching excursion. Life is good in May. May is better for birds.

Sitka (been there twice) is maybe our favorite port. It is the most unique we've been too.

Icebergs can keep a ship away from the glaciers. I would take the smallest cruise ship available on whatever cruise line I chose. I've been to AK on the Diamond Princess and the Coral Princess. The Coral was much better.

I just read something that seems to indicate the May-early June is the best timeframe to see Orca... To me, that would be preferable to seeing bear, which would be later in the season.

Alaska is iffy for orca viewing. The best orca viewing is in the Victoria BC area or the SanJuan Islands and Anacortes in WA state. There are 3 resident pods who live in the waters around that area from mid May to early October. The tour operators have a 95% success rate in whale sightings.

So, based on an earlier post in this thread...May is not a good time for wildlife? What about late May/early June?

We want to see bald eagles, whales, and bears more than anything else.

Going the 2nd week of May, we saw whales, eagles, mountain goats, sea otters, and harbor seals. We saw a moose wandering around in downtown Anchorage, and a bear on land from the ship (looked more like a brown speck identified by the naturalist as bear).

All wildlife sightings are pure luck. You can increase your odds by doing excursions that promise sightings and by going when they are out in the greatest numbers. But no one can guarantee that you'll see all you'd like to see.

I just read something that seems to indicate the May-early June is the best timeframe to see Orca... To me, that would be preferable to seeing bear, which would be later in the season.

We took a trip to Emerald Lake with Dyea Dave and he stopped four times for bear in late May. One was no more than 100ft away. Dave always tries to keep ahead of the buses, so that we can get to the bears first!

john

We have cruised in Alaska in June, July and August. June probably had the nicest weather, but we saw more wildlife in July and August once the salmon were running. We have seen whales, both Orca and humpback on each of our Alaska cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

I've cruised AK in late May and mid-July. We had stellar weather (no rain, 78F) in May every day though Seattle was rainy and chilly. July was hit and miss; some rainy, some sunny. May was less crowded on the ship though at Ketchikan there were 5 ships docked. I talked to a guy during our May cruise who said he's been to AK 4 times in May and had glorious weather every time. Given the choice, I would go in late May again...and I'll admit the better prices don't hurt. :-)

Never done a land tour...that's next on the docket!

• 1 month later...
We've sailed to Alaska four times in May & June. The weather for the most part is dry and cool. Shore based wild life is scarce. We've seen whales several times without taking a whale watching excursion. Life is good in May. May is better for birds.

Sitka (been there twice) is maybe our favorite port. It is the most unique we've been too.

Icebergs can keep a ship away from the glaciers. I would take the smallest cruise ship available on whatever cruise line I chose. I've been to AK on the Diamond Princess and the Coral Princess. The Coral was much better.

I am glad to hear this as we have just booked the Sept 10 Alaska cruise on the Coral for next year - I am only concerned with the weather-but if it's like it is here (in Georgia) if you don't like it just wait-it'll change

I have sailed all the cruise timeframes, from the very end of April through the third week of Sept. 26 trips. Add 2 more winter trips.

I think, rather than over worry about weather, other factors may be just as important. If you want salmon then you need to look at August. End of year sales, mid Sept. Snow "access"- for all those, never seen snow people :) May.

Anytime, you go, you MUST be well prepared for any weather. I would not count on any "rapid" changes however. It certainly can and does linger, I've had 6 out of 7 cruise days of rain, to full sun. AND everything in between. Overall, mid May into June, have, overall in my experience been the most favorable. Sept, the worse- additional "problem" is the dusk by 7pm. Does impact significantly with scenic sailing, and shut down evening activities. These also no longer have the significant discounts they used to when I went in this timeframe- Always, I had sailed earlier the same year, however. It was just a cheap add on trip. :) Key is being WELL prepared with attire.

Take what ever you get, and forget about trying to outsmart mother nature. :) EVERY trip will have it's highlights.

Archived