Question about Luggage Tags?

peisahm

Just wondering, do you put your luggage tags on your bags just when you are going to the ship if you are flying into your port, or do you put them on before you fly?

I am thinking they'd get ruined by the airline before reaching the port?

Just wondering, do you put your luggage tags on your bags just when you are going to the ship if you are flying into your port, or do you put them on before you fly?

I am thinking they'd get ruined by the airline before reaching the port?

Put them on after you get them in baggage claim at the airport. The airline is likely to either: rip them off, or be confused. Neither is a good thing. ;)

after you fly

Unless you're using RCI Transfers..depending on the port.... (example) We flew into Vancouver for our northbound Alaska and never saw our luggage until it arrived at our cabin..

After flying. This past cruise, we were missing one of four bags. After dinner and show we inquired at Guest Services. My bag had been delivered to someone with the same name. They said the tag came off. Moving forward, I am going to double tag.

Shoot, the airlines have enough trouble getting bags to their destinations when they only have airline tags on them....there shouldn't be any other "distraction" on your bags!!!

You should always stick your cellphone number into an unlocked, outside pocket on ALL your bags, in case they go astray...then, the airline will know how to contact you when they find your bag!

Ideally -- Put the luggage tags on at the hotel you are staying at the night before the cruise. You should not fly the day of ship's departure, just in case there are any airline delays. But since it sounds like you are flying out then, put the tags on after you get your luggage. Sometime airlines rip off old tags on purpose, not realizing what they tags are for. I've had that happen to me.

Great idea about the cell phone number. I never thought of that. I think next time I'll take a digital picture of each bag also, just in case the bag gets lost.

In Range,

You need to go into your booking on the RCI website. At about 49 days out when the E-docs are available to print you will see a button for ordering luggage tags. Just input your home address and they will mail them to you directly. If they don't come, don't worry. Just show the porter the copy of the luggage tag on one of the Set Sail passes and they will create tags for you.

Put them on after you get them in baggage claim at the airport. The airline is likely to either: rip them off, or be confused. Neither is a good thing. ;)

Not the only answer, but the best one.

I opted to receive my cruise documents electronically. Will they still mail my luggage tags?

This has changed since my last cruise in 09, but I was online filling out my setsail pass and there was a page to request they be mailed to you. It said "allow 5 business days" (I think) Otherwise you can fill out some generic ones at the port. But being my first cruise in a suite, I want the real things! Start kissing my feat you commoners, I'm in a suite and when I come back I'll be platinum :D;)

Another thing to remember is to put your RCCL luggage tags in your purse, briefcase or carryon, so you have them readily available to put on your luggage after your flight. We have always flown in a day early just in case of bad weather or any other delays in flight that could disrupt our cruise. I still keep the luggage tags with me, not in my checked luggage.

After flying. This past cruise, we were missing one of four bags. After dinner and show we inquired at Guest Services. My bag had been delivered to someone with the same name. They said the tag came off. Moving forward, I am going to double tag.

That is excellent advice. I have taken to doing that as well as cutting the baggage tag look alike thingy that prints out with your Set Sail pass and tape wrap it on a substantial metal baggage tag that has our info showing on the other side. The baggage tag I use is the one that comes from C&A for D plus members and is held on the suitcase with a metal braid. Not likely to come off. The reason I did this was that the newer RCL tags are not as sturdy as the previous version and have come off!.

We have always put on our luggage tags "before" leaving home..

This way if lost in air transfers, they have all the info on the

tags as to where you are going !!! I always make sure to pack a

couple of extra tags in my carry on though. When i arrive at the

airport where the cruise is, if tags are wrecked, i just replace

them, before they load my luggage into the bus !!!!

B.j.

( 20 cruises)..almost

Archived