Protecting colored hair ...

Lady Chew

I will shortly be taking up swimming again, after an absence of several years. Is there anything I can do to protect my hair from chlorine and salt water? My natural color is extremely dark brown, my new natural color is dark brown with red highlights.

Salt water shouldn't bother the color....chlorine can turn blonde hair to a weird shade of green....

Many swimmers I know either put conditioner into their hair prior to getting in the water, and one even wears a swim cap...ugly, but it works!

I will shortly be taking up swimming again, after an absence of several years. Is there anything I can do to protect my hair from chlorine and salt water? My natural color is extremely dark brown, my new natural color is dark brown with red highlights.

Don't know, but thought the bolded sentence was funny.

Would also be concerned about the sun.

I'm blonde and have spent a lot of time in chlorine pools, and have had the green hair effect before.

What has worked for me is rinsing my hair, then putting on a cap before swimming. Then use a shampoo and conditioner designed for swimmers hair. Whatever you do, don't go without a cap and a really good shampoo.

well, I don't know about a cap but I can certainly put some conditioner in. I always wear a hat when I'm out in the sun.

I'm not due to see my stylist (colorist would be more accurate!) for another month, which is why I asked here.

thanks for the info ...

My stylist also told me about using the conditioner. I just wet my hair and run the conditioner through and I'm good to go. She said the reason it works is because hair can only absorb so much water so its better to have conditioner than chlorine in your hair. Had to wear the swim cap when I was going through chemo so I'm happy to shed that.

seeshore definitely has the right theory behind using conditioner. Imagine hair being like a sponge, it can only absorb so much "stuff" before it can't absorb anymore.

I used to recommend to my clients to use a spray type of a leave in conditioner before swimming either in salt water or chlorine water. It's easier to use IMHO. Both salt water and chlorine water can do a number on hair, especially color treated hair with red highlights. Reds are the hardest to keep vibrant looking.

You mentioned swimming in a pool but for the times you are on vacation and forget to take any kind of leave in conditioner with you even plain tap water will do. Take a bottled water and drench your hair with it before going in the pool/beach.

Shampoo hair with sulfate free shampoo designed for swimmers hair. (I personally like the Malibu brand which my family goes through at least 3 liters every summer!!)

When I say sulfate free look at the ingredient list and make sure it does NOT have sodium laureth sulfate or sodium lauryl sulfate. These are the most inexpensive cleansing agents in the shampoo which will strip your hair dry. You will notice the same cleansing chemical listed in your body wash.

A lot of my former clients used to tell me "oh no...i switched to L'oreal everpure which is sulfate free" after hearing my sulfate speech. I would stay away from this product as well, it doesn't use the sulfate I listed but the chemical in this is actually more harsh!

I hope I make sense in this post!

Green neutralizes red......As a color tech whenever I was trying to get red out I reached for a green based colour......Slather on that conditioner (make it a deep conditioner) and keep that red hair out of the pool and hot tub.

Archived