Pier at Coco Cay..??

Should RCI build a Pier at Coco Cay???  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Should RCI build a Pier at Coco Cay???

• Yes - I hate missing Coco Cay due to the seas
    • No - I dont like it and would rather stay on the ship
    • I dont care one way or the other

do you know what it would cost to dredge out a channel in order to get the ship up to the island? I imagine it would be costly. When we were there in june on the monarch I asked how deep the water was where the ship sits. The guy on the tender told me approximately 48 feet.

The amount of dredging required depends entirely on where/how you position a dock. And, if you used what you dredged to create a more sheltered swimming/snorkling area, you could also add more capacity/amenities/excursion options to the island.

If Disney did it on Castaway Cay 25 miles to the east with essentially the same starting point, there's no reason RCI couldn't do it at Coco Cay as well.

It's not environmentally friendly to dredge out a reef even if to place pilings for the dock and the Bahamas would never let them do that. Even if they did, by the time you walked the entire distance from where the ship is in deep enough water, it would be time to turn around and walk back to the ship to make it by the "all aboard" time.:p

I am not placing a vote myself as it's not feasible.

The amount of dredging required depends entirely on where/how you position a dock. And, if you used what you dredged to create a more sheltered swimming/snorkling area, you could also add more capacity/amenities/excursion options to the island.

If Disney did it on Castaway Cay 25 miles to the east with essentially the same starting point, there's no reason RCI couldn't do it at Coco Cay as well.

We watched that episode on the Travel Channel regarding building their island, it is deeper water around the island and the dredging part at the island in order to build a dock didn't involve a reef from what I remember, just rock.

We watched that episode on the Travel Channel regarding building their island, it is deeper water around the island and the dredging part at the island in order to build a dock didn't involve a reef from what I remember, just rock.

Both islands are primarily reefs.

Best comment on this thread! Now where's Melynn when you need her? One of our own CC members is part of the planning team for RCCL's pier construction. Hope she chimes in soon. IMHO, it is totally feasible, whether cost effective or not, that has already been proven.:cool:

It's not environmentally friendly to dredge out a reef even if to place pilings for the dock and the Bahamas would never let them do that. Even if they did, by the time you walked the entire distance from where the ship is in deep enough water, it would be time to turn around and walk back to the ship to make it by the "all aboard" time.:p

I agree and have heard multiple Captain's explain why it is not feasible!

All you have to do to get something done in the Bahamas is grease the folks in Nassau. Just look what happened in Great Guana Cay. IMO if RCI wanted to build a dock it would get done.

Both islands are primarily reefs.

Yes, that is true but I am talking about a living reef versus limestone rock. But Disney had deeper water around the island and only had limestone rock to get rid of in the channel area; Coco Cay is much different as the water isn't as deep in the immediate area around the island.

When we missed coco cay the captain was able to get us into Nassau that day and we spent the night there, I honestly liked that better than coco cay.

Wow that is the first time I have heard someone like Nassau better than Coco Cay. Too each their own I guess.

I agree it is no fun to miss Coco Cay but I think Labadee was better before the pier, having to tender in made it seem more private and exotic.

Yes, that is true but I am talking about a living reef versus limestone rock. But Disney had deeper water around the island and only had limestone rock to get rid of in the channel area; Coco Cay is much different as the water isn't as deep in the immediate area around the island.

Actually, if you look at topo/nav charts of Gordo Cay before Disney and Castaway Cay after Disney, the reality is they extended the shoreline out to the deep water, and added a break wall to enclose the family beach. The topography of the north shore of Small Stirrup Cay is not a lot different than what Disney found when they started. And, the current channel/harbor into Coco Cay had to be dredged and widened to accommodate the tenders.

Archived