century 10/13 cruise cancelled in Nice

ghstudio

I think I read on one post that they were sure that Celebrity would not cancel the TA crossing on short notice. Well they had no problem cancelling the Mar 15/09 New Zealand cruise 8 days before sailing due to mechanical failure and many passengers had already left for Auckland and were not aware of that the cruise was cancelled. Passengers were notified on Friday evening Mar 7/09 when most Travel Agencies were closed and some like ours are closed on the weekend

I really hope this doesn't happen to any of you and that the Century does get into dry dock soon.

Ontario Cruiser

I think I read on one post that they were sure that Celebrity would not cancel the TA crossing on short notice. Well they had no problem cancelling the Mar 15/09 New Zealand cruise 8 days before sailing due to mechanical failure and many passengers had already left for Auckland and were not aware of that the cruise was cancelled. Passengers were notified on Friday evening Mar 7/09 when most Travel Agencies were closed and some like ours are closed on the weekend

I really hope this doesn't happen to any of you and that the Century does get into dry dock soon.

Ontario Cruiser

So what TA would you suggest we use for help getting home....no tickets to change because we never needed a ticket in the first place to get home. We booked one way to Barcelona.

Assistance from Select Air would have been very welcome by us....or assistance by the rep in the "redeployment desk"...but neither was offered...actually they refused to do either when I asked.

It's the people with direct experience, not in the comfort of their own homes.. in the trenches so to speak, that have found out first hand what Celebrity corporate is really like when their passengers are really abandoned through no fault of their own.

Certainly not how they portray themselves on facebook:

"Celebrity is passionately dedicated to providing guests with a vacation experience that exceeds expectations. Designed for you!"

So what TA would you suggest we use for help getting home....no tickets to change because we never needed a ticket in the first place to get home. We booked one way to Barcelona.

Assistance from Select Air would have been very welcome by us....or assistance by the rep in the "redeployment desk"...but neither was offered...actually they refused to do either when I asked.

It's the people with direct experience, not in the comfort of their own homes.. in the trenches so to speak, that have found out first hand what Celebrity corporate is really like when their passengers are really abandoned through no fault of their own.

Certainly not how they portray themselves on facebook:

"Celebrity is passionately dedicated to providing guests with a vacation experience that exceeds expectations. Designed for you!"

gonzo....you are assuming that the damage was out of their control...in fact, if the captain steered out of a channel, the damage was completely within their control. If the ship was damaged prior to boarding the 10/13 cruise, then that situation was fully within their control and they decided to take a risk that they could complete the cruise, risking our safety. If the rudders failed due to design or improper installation then there is someone responsible.

I do not just accept that the ship hit some hidden marine structure (a very rare occurence)....the rudders failed because someone did something wrong...and that is within their control.

We don't know the truth, and unless someone takes legal action and does discovery, we will never know the truth.

gonzo....you are assuming that the damage was out of their control...in fact, if the captain steered out of a channel, the damage was completely within their control. If the ship was damaged prior to boarding the 10/13 cruise, then that situation was fully within their control and they decided to take a risk that they could complete the cruise, risking our safety. If the rudders failed due to design or improper installation then there is someone responsible.

I do not just accept that the ship hit some hidden marine structure (a very rare occurence)....the rudders failed because someone did something wrong...and that is within their control.

We don't know the truth, and unless someone takes legal action and does discovery, we will never know the truth.

Those who say...use a TA so you have someone to help....we flew to Barcelona on AA frequent flier miles....we used up 60K miles to get to the two cruises and expected to wind up in Miami where we could drive home.

We could not call AA to "Change our flights" or to book another flight on miles because we don't have enough.

What insurance did you purchase/what policy? Most insurance policies have you insured for a max amount of money, not specific amounts for air vs. cruise. We have looked into this before having used FFmiles for many flights. This has been brought up on the "Ask a Cruise Question" board. Depending on the policy, as a trip interruption you would have so much money available to cover your flight for a trip/vacation that has been interrupted. In your case it would as you know not be through the airline, but amount to be recovered through the insurance company.

Those who say...use a TA so you have someone to help....we flew to Barcelona on AA frequent flier miles....we used up 60K miles to get to the two cruises and expected to wind up in Miami where we could drive home.

We could not call AA to "Change our flights" or to book another flight on miles because we don't have enough.

What insurance did you purchase/what policy? Most insurance policies have you insured for a max amount of money, not specific amounts for air vs. cruise. We have looked into this before having used FFmiles for many flights. This has been brought up on the "Ask a Cruise Question" board. Depending on the policy, as a trip interruption you would have so much money available to cover your flight for a trip/vacation that has been interrupted. In your case it would as you know not be through the airline, but amount to be recovered through the insurance company.

gonzo....you are assuming that the damage was out of their control...

My post was largely commenting on the difference between the EU laws vs. the US lack of such laws - not on this specific incident. In terms of this incident I would absolutely feel that Celebrity would have a higher onus (both in a legal sense and a moral sense) if the damage to the rudders was due to an act of negligence on their part. My post was meant in a more general sense - that if something goes wrong on a cruise (or any type of vacation) that is not attributable to negligence, I personally am in favor of the US vs. the EU way. While the EU laws are great when things go wrong, by holding businesses accountable for everything that can wrong to such a high degree they make things more expensive for everybody in the long run. I am not saying my opinion is correct this is just my personal opinion.

gonzo....you are assuming that the damage was out of their control...

My post was largely commenting on the difference between the EU laws vs. the US lack of such laws - not on this specific incident. In terms of this incident I would absolutely feel that Celebrity would have a higher onus (both in a legal sense and a moral sense) if the damage to the rudders was due to an act of negligence on their part. My post was meant in a more general sense - that if something goes wrong on a cruise (or any type of vacation) that is not attributable to negligence, I personally am in favor of the US vs. the EU way. While the EU laws are great when things go wrong, by holding businesses accountable for everything that can wrong to such a high degree they make things more expensive for everybody in the long run. I am not saying my opinion is correct this is just my personal opinion.

Gunther ---Right on---From what I have read ---what bothers me is not really what is fair compensation but the attitude of the management at Celebrity---when my NZ/OZwas cancelled 5 days before sail mgt. offered me a refund and say a credit equal to the amount paid---I came back with a counter offer--same class cabin same ship same duration--no way --take it or leave it--Naturally I took it---during the year I booked a cruise and Celebrity stated that I owed them $11 per person for the cruise--with normal PR they should have said sure we are sorry and you can sail with us on the so and so--but no with bad PR they made $22 gross after subtracting the credit-- I did not read that C said --We are sorry--How can we help you

Gunther ---Right on---From what I have read ---what bothers me is not really what is fair compensation but the attitude of the management at Celebrity---when my NZ/OZwas cancelled 5 days before sail mgt. offered me a refund and say a credit equal to the amount paid---I came back with a counter offer--same class cabin same ship same duration--no way --take it or leave it--Naturally I took it---during the year I booked a cruise and Celebrity stated that I owed them $11 per person for the cruise--with normal PR they should have said sure we are sorry and you can sail with us on the so and so--but no with bad PR they made $22 gross after subtracting the credit-- I did not read that C said --We are sorry--How can we help you

Many policies do not cover mechanical breakdown.....ours, with a major insurer, did not cover this as "interuption". We were however covered under the policy as a delay with much lower limits, so we will get some, but not all, of the cost of return tickets coverd. You really have to read your policy very carefully to see what is covered.

I am unaware of any reasonably priced policy that will reimburse you for the cost of your ticket to the port if the cruise is cancelled once you are there.....nor any policy that would refund the dollar equivalent of your frequent flyer miles.

Even celebrity's policy doesn't cover the cost of the flight to Barcelona...even though the trip was cancelled.

Don't blindly think that Insurance is the wonderful protection in every case as some on this board would like to think. .....and I bet that most everyone reading this has no idea of what is really covered and what ISN"T covered.

As someone waiting to make the trip to Barcelona to meet the TA on Century-we want to thank all those who have relaid information on this thread. A special thank you to Gunther and Uta and those other agents who have added their expertise. It may not be a good situation but your efforts have been some comfort.

Do you have enough insurance to cover your flights? That is the key with the insurance. Most policy's I have looked at for the interruption coverage are 100% or 150% of the trip costs.

If someone paid $1,000 per person for a vacation and flight to return home was $2,500.00, they would not have enough to cover, obviously.

That does not stop one from looking to Celebrity to cover any additional expenses not covered by insurance.

So if the value of the trip is around $10,000 for example --including air (with all taxes & fees), pre-cruise hotel & excursions, the cruise itself & transfers & pvt excursions...should you insure it for that amount or more or a bit less? I heard that airline taxes & fees must be refunded & are not forfeited..is that true?

Hoping everyone gets home safely-- some of the pics of the strikes on France on TV have been a bit dramatic!

I agree with everything you are saying. Celebrity caused the problem and needs to make passengers whole. I was just stating to those who are looking for money for pain and suffering, Celebrity is looking at it like they are giving back 125%. 10% of this cruise fare plus 25% to use on a future cruise. They are also looking at it like they gave a couple of days vacation and meals (although the only one that was stress free was the first day before passengers were told of the problem).

This should read 100% of the cruise fare refunded.

Our July trip is with Princess,,does anyone think they will be better in situations such as this.

Based on the way celebrity has handled Century incident & previously the other ship in a simlar sitauation, we would not book anything too far away with Celebrity in the future..

Save them for Carib cruises-- and hopefully the S class ships will prove to be more reliable!

So if the value of the trip is around $10,000 for example --including air (with all taxes & fees), pre-cruise hotel & excursions, the cruise itself & transfers & pvt excursions...should you insure it for that amount or more or a bit less? I heard that airline taxes & fees must be refunded & are not forfeited..is that true?

Hoping everyone gets home safely-- some of the pics of the strikes on France on TV have been a bit dramatic!

I always insure for 100%, but will round up if I calculate it will not cost any more since the insurance costs are in ranges. Some policies require you to insure 100% and some do not. I know some people have posted they use a policy that does not require them to insure 100% but at least gives them the medical and Medivac and some amount insured. They are self insuring.

The 25% of what one paid towards a future cruise is what Celebrity is offering to cover emotional and ruined vacation, etc. They are refunding the cost of the cruise and paying airline change fees, which would make the majority of passengers whole. Trip insurance should cover the out of pocket if one did not wish to take a 10 hour bus and hotel in Barcelona (which we would not wish to do).

What do you suggest the passengers do to get back their thousands that they spent on airfare for a non-existent cruise? $250 change fee doesn't cover that.

I just changed the return portion of an American Airlines round trip flight after flying the first leg. This was a last minute change, the day before my scheduled return flight. Now this was an SNA to CRP (Corpus Christi, TX) trip but this is how it worked. I had a $150 change fee and I would have to pay the difference in fare based on the current round trip fare, not a new one way fare. In my case the fare was the same so it was only the $150 change fee.

Doesn't sound like you changed airports. People are having to fly home from Nice rather than face getting back on a 10 hour bus ride to Barcelona.

"Annual policies fall short" ......

We have an annual travel insurance policy purchased through Chartis/Travel Guard Europe (this version valid for Spain). This is in addition to the coverage we have from American Express.

Please see insurancebookers dot es, change the language to English, and look at the Platino (Platinum Coverage) for annual trips.

Unlimited medical, unlimited repatriation, unlimited cancellation. And the policy costs 120 euros per person per year.

Why are policies in the United States so much more expensive?

By the way, from what I read you are an excellent travel agent.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

You have given me valuable info in the past. I never thought about annual cruise insurance, but checked out the sight. Since we have over 60 days of cruising booked in the next year, it seems financially wiser to have an annual policy. Would there be any problem if we were from the US?

We appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

Jackie & Jim

Archived