century 10/13 cruise cancelled in Nice

ghstudio

I just received an email from Celebrity that our return airfare will be fully refunded to our credit card, less the $250 pp that they already credited us with in our on-board account credit.

We were back to back cruisers and we arranged our own airfare, so we had to buy new one way tickets to return to the US.

Although it took a long time, Celebrity has now done everything they committed to do in refunding our payments.

We now have to consider if we will use the 25% credit.....

In reading the posts over the past couple days, we felt it was time to give an update.

We were b2b cruisers on Century. We purchased our trip from an online ta. It was 26 days, included air; leaving 10-12 and returning 11-8.

When the cruise was cancelled, we, as all pas, scrambled to make arrangements. We tried the Miami number, and we all know how well that went. After a full day of confusion, we were told late Friday night that we were on a list. We would be met by a rep at the Pier in Nice, taken to a hotel and our air arrangements would be made for us. Why we were not told this upfront, I do not know. However, when I asked for the name of the rep, the hotel, or info on the air arrangements, I was told no one knew. We were to just get off the ship, and all would be fine.

Needless to say, we wondered if we really would be met. However, we were the lucky pas, and we were met, bussed to a hotel, and the next day bussed to the airport for a flight home.

Then the nightmare of trying to be reimbursed for our trip began.

We wrote a total of eight letters; 2 to guest relations, 1 to corporate guest relations, 2 to Hanrahan, 2 to Fein and 1 to RCI CEO Goldstein. Each letter included doc. of our trip costs; incl. the ta conf number of our 26 day sailing, inc. air, and incidental costs. We have never received a phone call or letter.

After over a month we received a single email from guest relations. We were promised and have received:

1. Total reimbursement for our 26 day package, inc. air

2. $100.pp for incidental expenses

3. Promise that unused OBC may be transferred to future cruise

4. Paltry FCC that equals 9% of our total cruise package exp.

The email was followed by a letter advising us how to transfer our unused OBC. Since we already had a celebrity cruise booked, we called the 800 # and attempted to transfer our credit. The person who answered the phone knew nothing about transferring OBC and transferred us to bookings. They also knew nothing about OBC and suggested we call our ta. We opted to call a contact at corporate. They also knew nothing about transferring unused OBC, but said they would check on it and get back to us. It did not help that our letter was UNSIGNED.

We recognize how fortunate we have been during this ordeal, but still bemoan the efforts it has taken to be made whole. It is our firm belief that all pas should be made financially whole. This disaster was not of their making, and they were harmed by the loss of their trip. Celebrity created a pr disaster by not acting proactively to try to make amends for this unforseen event. Since our ship was safe, and in a foreign port, we did not receive media attention. But don't think for a moment that Celebrity has not been hurt by this. On our return home, we contacted over 75 fellow frequent cruisers, some of whom are sailing on Celebrity ships as we write this. They continue to contact us for updates, and share our experiences within their network of cruisers. Celebrity took a bad situation and turned it into a pr disaster by creating hundreds, it not thousands of negative ambassadors.

The other cost of this disaster and its mishandling, is not monetary, but visceral. The loss of unfettered joy at the anticipation of a cruise; the niggling concern that we might be dumped somewhere in the future; the loss of trust that Celebrity will always put the safety and comfort of their passengers first. These feelings continue, as this saga drags on, and are exasperated by the total lack of response from any senior management.

Just heard from CELEBRITY..wahoo!!! They are definitely paying ALL airfare costs..

Also heard from representative that they will pay for hotel room, food, transportation, and cell phone charges up to 3 days from disembarking ship.

Hope this helps!!

Helen

So Celebrity is FINALLY admitting to what they will reimburse. I don't believe for a minute that they intended this all along..... The only way we passengers have been "informed" of this is via CruiseCritic.

If they wanted to be equitable, they would have sent us all a letter detailing what we could claim!

I am glad so many are finally getting their money. I hope to be able to post good news some day soon. I am still waiting..........

This is great news - I haven't head anything from the yet so let's hope they are not being "selective" in who they pay.

I'm surprised they didn't send a bulk e-mail to all passengers/claimants advising the decision and giving a bit of a timeline.

Notice that the CC editor who posted the most recent article mentioned that this has happened to others. However, she compared our story with other cruises that were affected by inclement weather, not mechanical breakdowns.

Why didn't the editor compare our cruise with the Carnival Splendor since it too had a mechanical breakdown??

We expect compensation because Celebrity is at fault here, not the weather!

I am glad this article was put out there and I hope we all see good for our hard work (griping). I wish the best to all...

My thanks to Cruise Critic. This forum has been one of the primary incentives for Celebrity to take action....and I believe that Cruise Critic's continued interest, demonstrated in today's front page article, also helped Celebrity in coming forward publically and stating what they were and were not going to do...in unambiguous terms.

I am sure that there will still be problems for some and we need to hang in here to help, but I have regained some hope that Celebrity will resolve those issues (e.g. didn't get the $250; didn't get OBC's; etc.

Never underestimate the power of the internet.....and thank you again, Cruise Critic for your help in this.

I appreciate the Cruise Critic article but feel it should be compared to the Carnival incident that was the Cruise Lines full responsibility. Acts of God happen and that is a totally different comparison. We Century cruisers, like Carnival cruisers, had our cruise cancelled because of the Cruise Lines own equipment.

Carnival has committed RIGHT FROM THE START to taking full care of their guests, covering all costs, refunding flights and cruise fare, and giving 100% of the cruise fare towards a new cruise in the next 2 years.

Celebrity never took any care of their guests (who were offloaded in a foreign country, not San Diego), say they will maybe cover SOME costs (almost 6 weeks later), say they will refund flights and cruise fare (but haven't yet), and only give a measly 25% credit towards a future cruise taken in 1 year (which doesn't make much of a dent in a new cruise).

Given these 2 scenarios which cruise line would you like to have traveled on???? Everyone should think hard about this for future cruises!

Does anyone have any updates from RCCL/Celebrity addressing the concerns of those passengers who used air miles?

There's a post a page or so back that talks about them receiving fair value for their airmiles. They just had to provide prove what what the miles cost... or what you could buy them for...usually around 2 or 3 cents per mile.

Does anyone have any updates from RCCL/Celebrity addressing the concerns of those passengers who used air miles?

Either go to your airline (or wherever you had the points that you used) or go to points.com and find what it costs to "buy" back the miles you spent. Send that information including any "administrative costs" and taxes to buy the points to Celebrity.....along with something that shows that you actually bought the tickets with the points you are claiming to have used.

This refund is for the FULL airfare I paid, including the $736.01 p/p I had to pay Continental for the increased fare differential over my original fare.

I faxed my total airfare receipt to Celebrity Corporate Customer Relations on 10/25, so it took 8 days for them to respond with the positive news. Now if they will only recognize that in all fairness, although they are giving a refund for this cancelled cruise, I think most if not all the passengers were really looking forward to this cruise, because of it's great itinerary. Therefore, I really do not want a refund, I want the 12-night cruise for the approx. same itinerary that I paid for. Give the passengers an option to go on the Solstice cruise on 5/14/11 (same 12-night itinerary, except substituting Kotor, Montenegro for Split, Croatia) for the same price as paid for this cruise. Looking at the listed prices, they need to up their FCC to 100% of the cost of this cruise.

To: CruisinNole

I posted this message about three weeks ago, but in addition to the $250p/p change fee that was credited to my onboard account before leaving the ship, I received a full refund of my original airfare, and the fare increases as noted above. I requested that this refund be to my credit card, and it was credited the second week of November. I hope all cruise only passengers received their refunds also!

Just checked my credit card account. They have refunded $$$ for our miles we used to fly to the cruise departure. I received a call last week saying they were going to use the cost of a comparative itinerary to base the amount ofthe refund. We actually did a three way call with United who asked our exact itinerary (I had dates, flight numbers, completed info.) United gave the amount this itinerary would cost now and that is what we were refunded.

Now if we could just get back what we actually paid for our cruise reservation I would be very happy. We received about 1/3 of that amount. When I talked to the rep who helped with the airline miles they only had 3 pages of the 13 page fax I had sent with all my receipts and documentation. I refaxed everything with a request for acknowledgment of receipt, but of course have heard nothing.

Can't complain too much--I didn't really expect to get my airline miles taken care of.

Just received an e-mail advising they were going to refund the amount of our emergency return airfare minus the $250 oo change fee that we have already received.

Thanks you Celebrity - a bit late and some stress but you did come through in the end.

Received word today that my parent's change fees have been approved and the check for $500 is being mailed today. Mine is still not completed, supposedly will be handled Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed, but won't be able to let go until I actually receive it : )

Thrilled that so many are getting some resolution!! I'll keep checking and posting until all have been helped.

My Charleston/Mercury future cruise credits and unused OBC were applied to the 3/11/12 Infinity sailing. At least I have some time to decide if I can trust Celebrity again...... Was also told that as long as I book a cruise by the expiration date of the Century credits they will extend and apply them. Hope this information helps those who are still willing to sail Celebrity.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Finally got a call from Celebrity Rep today regarding the airfare. She said they are refunding me the "return" flight airfare and they asked for my original airfare receipt for the 4th time, so not sure if they are indeed going to return both. Hopefully I will actually SEE the credits into my credit card soon, it's way overdue!

And it'd be awesome if they are really compensating us with 3 days worth of hotel and food...etc. Anything is better than nothing!

Finally got a call from Celebrity Rep today regarding the airfare. She said they are refunding me the "return" flight airfare and they asked for my original airfare receipt for the 4th time, so not sure if they are indeed going to return both. Hopefully I will actually SEE the credits into my credit card soon, it's way overdue!

And it'd be awesome if they are really compensating us with 3 days worth of hotel and food...etc. Anything is better than nothing!

I guess they have won the battle when victims find it "awesome" to get a crumb. They are subtracting left, right and center from what they promise. Until we see all that is owed to us, I will not give up. Disgruntled passengers will not return and they will spread the word.

Archived