Dream, Oasis, Epic-Why Not New York?

slyfox0113

Ships is tooo big for the pier on the west side. Dream and epic both had to lower lifeboats and other things to be able to fit at the terminal. Also, the gangway at the terminal had issues with the dream on the brief 2 day cruise to no where last year or so if i remember correct on past reviews

Thanks for the responses. I know when RCCL had one of their newer ships for a couple of sailings out of Bayonne, but once they relocated to Florida that was that. Now Explorer is out of Bayonne. I suspected it might be the size of the docks but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

I agree theres a million new ships in Florida we should get some new ones too. Big deal about the pier they could figure out a way to make it work and if not I'm sure Carnival could use Redhook since Princess and Cunard do. As far as Oasis goes I think its too high out of the water to fit under the VZ.

I believe Epic had to lower lifeboats, but Dream did not. I was on the TA, and there were not a problems in NYC with lifeboats. Oasis might be able to dock in Bayonne...But she might have to turn in the bay and back in...Turning basin might be too short. EM

Marketing and economics

The New York and surrounding areas have a demographic willing to pay a premium price for the convenience of sailing close to home., By limiting the number of cabins, the cruise lines can (and do) charge those premium prices.

Also, sailing from New York on a seven day cruise allows only a limited number of destinations. That in turn limits the number of out of area passengers. From Florida ports, more varied and attractive destinations can be offered, thus attracting a much larger number of passengers, many who are out of area cruisers willing to fly.

I believe Epic had to lower lifeboats, but Dream did not. I was on the TA, and there were not a problems in NYC with lifeboats. Oasis might be able to dock in Bayonne...But she might have to turn in the bay and back in...Turning basin might be too short. EM

The Explorer already backs into cape liberty. But Oasis can not make it into NY harbor shes 236ft above the waterline and the Verrazano bridge is 228ft at its highest point above the waterline.

The Explorer already backs into cape liberty. But Oasis can not make it into NY harbor shes 236ft above the waterline and the Verrazano bridge is 228ft at its highest point above the waterline.

Ahhh...then she could tender, using Staten Island ferries as tenders...EM

Marketing and economics

The New York and surrounding areas have a demographic willing to pay a premium price for the convenience of sailing close to home., By limiting the number of cabins, the cruise lines can (and do) charge those premium prices.

Also, sailing from New York on a seven day cruise allows only a limited number of destinations. That in turn limits the number of out of area passengers. From Florida ports, more varied and attractive destinations can be offered, thus attracting a much larger number of passengers, many who are out of area cruisers willing to fly.

Great point. I am sure some part of what you are saying is true.At the very least they can offer the Florida, Bahamas trip like the Carnival and NCl but give us a newer ship, one we haven't sailed already. It would be fun. I think the New York and New Jersey cruisers would love the diversity.

I agree theres a million new ships in Florida we should get some new ones too. Big deal about the pier they could figure out a way to make it work and if not I'm sure Carnival could use Redhook since Princess and Cunard do. As far as Oasis goes I think its too high out of the water to fit under the VZ.

I knew the VZ was part of the problem. Your right Cunard sails out of this area. Why not bring back RCCL's Freedom, it sailed from Bayonne for a couple of trips. I still think we should get SOMETHING a little newer for us NY, NJ cruisers. Like someone else said we are willing and do pay premium prices to sail close to home, so take advantage of us, give us something special for a change.:D

I feel your pain!!

I wish they would base themselves in non-Florida ports since I'll never sail any of them. I hate the Mega ship concept...think RCCL is crazy to charge a premium for a more crowded ship, and still think the Dream and Epic are too big as well for my tastes. You can only make the common areas so much bigger for more crew and passengers...as you much also house both. If it stays a trend....Seabourne I go...but take fewer cruises.

Marketing and economics

may be you are right!

I posted this on the NCL board also. I wonder why NY never has any of the larger ships like the Dream, Epic or Oasis out of New York. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO slyfox0113: My wife and I went on the Carnival Dream last year. They had a big problem. Because of the size of the ship they had to board by way of going downstairs and boarding on the lower level, deck one. They could not use the normal method of boarding the ship because of the size of the ship. I expect it is the same for the Oasis and the Epic.

When we were on the Dream for two cruises out of NYC it took so long to load and unload the ship it could not leave on time.

Archived