Cute or not....

Talli

Hi!

I am trying to decide if I should wear something I already own for the elegant dinner nights on a Carnival Cruise (first time cruiser!) or buy something new. Please help! If I "shop" from my closet it would be a dress but somewhere between casual and dressy or if I should buy something new or at least new to me.....

What do you think of these dresses, cute or not.

!B5bDO2QCGk~$(KGrHqMOKi8EyuF-crwoBMtjsTunN!~~_35.JPG

48689a.jpg

!B4-5Us!CGk~$(KGrHqIOKkQEyMlmGwqjBMr4jwzNo!~~_35.JPG

Thanks for the replies! I know that they are short, I do prefer short dresses because otherwise I just drown in them. Since I am only 5 foot 1" any dress that is a mini on someone else is usually about knee length or just a few inches above the knee on me :D.

Talli

I like the gray one the best--the pink one looks kind of cheap, to me, and the other one seems like it would be kind of overpowering on someone who is only 5'1"--not a fan of the big bow, either.

Since you are short, the lengths will be fine, otherwise, to me, the pink one at least is just too short.

But, that said, they will all work for a cruise; I'm just relating my personal tastes. Sometimes it is hard to tell without seeing a dress on the person. Hopefully you are pretty young!

I'm guessing the gray is the one you already own - it's my favorite out of the three. As for the earlier comment about the pink dress looking cheap - I don't know if the poster meant that that the style of the dress looked cheap, or the workmanship. I think the workmanship of the dress looks incredibly cheap - I doubt I would buy doll clothes that appear so poorly made. If the folded over seams are that obvious in the picture where they are selling the dress, it won't get better in person. A well made dress will be pulled out of the closet many years from now and enjoyed again, but those with questionable materials and finish will end up in charity bags or as the basis of a halloween costume.

If you run across a dress you like better than your gray dress, go for it. But know that the one you have looks good to at least a few of us. :D

On the pink dress, I was referring to looking cheaply made--the hems, the seams, the fabric, all look cheap to me.

To be honest, at least on the model in the picture, I also think it looks kind of 'cheap' in the other meaning also, that is, not very tasteful. Maybe ok for the very young and slim, hard to pull off for anyone else.

On the pink dress, I was referring to looking cheaply made--the hems, the seams, the fabric, all look cheap to me.

To be honest, at least on the model in the picture, I also think it looks kind of 'cheap' in the other meaning also, that is, not very tasteful. Maybe ok for the very young and slim, hard to pull off for anyone else.

I actually agree. But the dangers of cheaply made clothes extend to more conservative styles as well. If the cheap look is someone's style, that's fine. But I'd still prefer to see them in nicely made "cheap" clothes. One of my friends just adores dressing like she is for rent. I love her, though I would never borrow clothes from her. It makes her happy and I'm not one to judge. (Until I have a son, and he wants to date her younger twin. :D I'll have to make sure the packaging is not representative of the contents.)

I like the silver one as long as if falls longer on your thinghs than the two inches below your tush that it looks like in the photo.

I also agree with the others who feel the pink one looks shoddy in manufacture. It looks more like a nightgown from Walmart that's been altered a bit than a dress you'd wear to an elegant, dressy event.

I don't care for the purple one at all, it looks like a tacky bridesmaid dress.

I think the OP was trying to decide whether to purchase one of the 3 dresses pictured (2 are from Ebay) and that if she didn't, she would select something from her closet which was more casual.

Of the 3 pictured, I like the silver one.

Thanks again for all the replies! I really do appreciate all of the opinions! I was looking at all of these on ebay, since they were the only ones that were really within my price range.... All the stores in my area that I have visited recently really don't have anything that I like or if they do, it is more than I am willing to pay. I don't dress up very often so can't really justify spending much on a dress that I might not wear again.

I was leaning toward the grey dress but am a little worried that it might be too flowy, I definetely don't want to look pregnant! Also I did ask the seller to provide me with the measurements of the dress but that was 2-3 days ago and they haven't responded so now I am a little leery about puchasing from that seller.

I cruise in 4 weeks! Woohooo! So I have to make a decision soon! I will let you all know what I decide to go with.

Thanks!

Talli

I like the grey one. It looks like it is chiffon, which if you plan on wearing a short cocktail dress, this one is dressier than the others b/c of the fabric.

I also dont like the other ones. The pink screams cheap, the purple screams something else, lol, Im not sure. I am around 5'2" and I wear gowns...you're going to be wearing heels (?), so height should not make a difference. You can find fabulous discounted gowns at a store like Ross if yuou have or on ebay. Even with dry cleaning and altering you can be pretty frugal!

I vote gray as well. I shopped my closet for my first cruise and wore my wedding dress, it was a chocolate brown evening gown with an empire waist an just a touch to sparkle. It was great to wear it again and I think the hubs got a kick out of seeing me in it again. I will be shopping for a new dress for our second cruise tho.

If you don't have anything in your closet calling to you, maybe you have a friend your size that has a bunch of dresses she has held onto? I've shared dresses in the past, and its nice to see a dress of yours have fun with someone else. Of course, you wouldn't do this with the absolute favorite dresses - don't want to spend the evening worrying about a spill!

Maybe I am the only dissenter but I wanted to put my 2 cents....

I really like the color and the styles of the dresses you posted. I do agree regarding the workmanship of the pink dress but other than that, I think it's a very fun color for a cruise.

I don't know which cruise line you are sailing but from my personal experience I have seen all different styles of dresses and extremes (regarding how dressed up people or not). I personally like to buy a new outfits for my vacation but definitely not necessarily.

Have fun on your first cruise!

My preferred one is the grey although it is a bit nightgownish unless you are very young, when it is just cute. I agree the pink looks trashy and the purple only on someone with endless legs. I borrowed several dresses from a friend for our last cruise - could you not do that? Can't get any more economical than that!

A bit surprised at some of the comments...

I think they are both lovely.

I love the color of the second one. It simply looks like it needs a good pressing at your local cleaners. It will look stunning & not shoddy.

Sheesh!

Archived