Air Deviation questions

KathyPet

I am sure that this question has been asked before but here it goes again. We are booked on the Marina in April from Barcelona to ROme. My questions are as follows:

Can you request flight arrangements on a specific airline or better still a specific itinerary?

If you are booked on a airline you have a FF account with can you ask Oceania to add your FF # to the reservation so you get credit for the flights?

If you have enough FF miles will the booking code for the flight that Oceania reserves for you allow you to use your FF miles (Plus a co-pay if applicable) to allow you to upgrade to business class (subject to availability of course)?

How much deviation can you arrange for? We would like to take one of the cheaper inter-European flights from Rome to Paris. We would arrange for that ourselves. We would like Oceania to get us home from Paris after spending a few days there at the conclusion of the cruise. Can they do that????

Based on my own experiences just last week you have the flexibility to select the specific flights you want and arrival/departure cities. O will price out the cost to them and if it is within their 'budget' for the trip then you are charged only the deviation fee. If the costs are higher they will offer you the option to pay the difference (plus fee).

As for adding FF to your flights this might be as easy as calling the airline after the flight is booked. As for upgrades you would need to check with your FF plan. The class I was given for our flights was Q and L. These may or may not be upgradeable. Once you accept the deviation and the flights are confirmed I expect it would be relatively easy to contact your FF program to request an upgrade provided the class of service allows for it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I priced out a Dulles-Barcelona and then a Paris-Dulles flight on United and the economy class fare for two came to $2373.00 R/T. My T/a advised that Oceania would credit me $685.00 PP (Total of $1370.00) should I choose to get my own airfare. When I looked on a airfare web site the cheapest flights for that itinerary were a little over $1000.00 PP so I am not quite sure how Oceania is able to get their flights for only $685.00 PP.

When I looked on a airfare web site the cheapest flights for that itinerary were a little over $1000.00 PP so I am not quite sure how Oceania is able to get their flights for only $685.00 PP.

Bulk sales

Thanks for the information. I priced out a Dulles-Barcelona and then a Paris-Dulles flight on United and the economy class fare for two came to $2373.00 R/T. My T/a advised that Oceania would credit me $685.00 PP (Total of $1370.00) should I choose to get my own airfare. When I looked on a airfare web site the cheapest flights for that itinerary were a little over $1000.00 PP so I am not quite sure how Oceania is able to get their flights for only $685.00 PP.

Group fares are made/purchased ahead of time from a preset number of gateways. Most are L and T fares as they are the cheapest.

When you by in bulk - you save... :)

Oceania had us fly to Barcelona on Lufthansa and home from Lisbon on British airways, without any increase in airfare. Pretty impressive as they are not code share airlines and it would have cost us several thousand dollars to do it on our own. Buying in bulk and having relationships with many airlines apparently does pay off.

We just got our flights for our Buenos Aries to Barcelona cruise in March. EXACTLY what we asked for. It cost us an extra $100 per person (besides the $100 deviation fee), but well worth it to cut down on the number of airports we have to pass through.

Thanks Oceania!

Marilyn

We requested, and received, the flights we wanted:

3 days early going, 3 days late coming back

Vancouver->Frankfurt->Barcelona with Lufthansa

Rome->Frankfurt->Vancouver with Lufthansa

$100 pp air deviation fee, plus $50pp extra

Wonderful!

A&B

Same with us...we booked NON STOP from Miami to Rio and back from Buenos Aires for the holiday cruise in December. It was only additional $100 pp + the $100 pp air deviation fee. But, as was mentioned well worth -- not have to make a connection and getting the flights we want. When it works, it's great!! Arlene:)

On 2 previous Oceania cruises we did our own business class airfare but for our next cruise in the Spring '11 we opted for Oceania's business upgrade cruise fare, as their pricing turned out to be a definite savings this time even with the deviation fees and any other fees tacked on as our return segment is broken up a number of times with extra days in a few destinations on the way home. Also going on our requested carrier.

As you can see from some of these replies, the air department at Oceania seems to operate differently than the typical flight departments at other cruise lines. They seem to take every deviation request as a personal challenge and seem to take great delight in surprising people with their great itineraries.

The only reason I would book my own flights would be if I was using FF miles, and even then I would consider whether they might be more useful to me on some other flight. But, the important thing is to use a deviation.

In contrast to the several positive posts...

I am booked on the 2/26/2011 SFO-MIA Marina sailing and requested a "direct flight" air deviation for BOS/SFO on 2/24/11 and "direct flight" deviation for MIA(or FLL)/BOS on 3/16/2011.

The first flights offered by Oceania were:

AZ 0615 BOSTON 23FEB 5:45PM ROME,24FEB 7:35AM

AA 1930 MIAMI 16MAR 3:35PM BOSTON 16MAR 6:45PM

Additional fee is $175 per person

When questioned (notice, these flights are through Rome) the second flights offered were:

UA 0177 BOSTON 24FEB 11:30AM SAN FRANCISCO 2:53PM

AA 1930 MIAMI 16MAR 3:35PM BOSTON 16MAR 6:45PM

Additional fee is $200 per person

P.S. to Don -keep 7108 tidy - we are next occupants.

How far in advance of your cruise can you start working with the air deviation dept to request the flights you want? Do you have to wait until final payment is made or can you work with them after your deposit is made???

Also if you booked with a travel agent do you have to route the requests through your agent or will Oceania work with you directly? While I appreciate the services of a travel agent I do find that having to call them with my request especially when there will probably be some back and forth discussion and then have them talk to OCeania and then call me back to be a PITA. I would rather talk to Oceania directly.

and if you're unsure, can you request a second, and if you end up liking the first one better, can you go back to it?

Thanks Rickycruz!

PS:I never seem to see O using Air Canada, does that mean I should try to steer away from them as I would be less likely to get a good deviation differential with Air Canada? They seem to use Lufthansa a lot from Canada to Europe in my opinion...

and if you're unsure, can you request a second, and if you end up liking the first one better, can you go back to it?

Thanks Rickycruz!

PS:I never seem to see O using Air Canada, does that mean I should try to steer away from them as I would be less likely to get a good deviation differential with Air Canada? They seem to use Lufthansa a lot from Canada to Europe in my opinion...

Yes, if you prefer the first proposal over the second, you can go back and request the first.

I would continue to request Air Canada if that is your preference. Always submit your preferential choice first. The worse they can say is "no".

RickeyCruz5

When I book a deviation, my TA asks O for the flights they provide at no extra costs (other than the deviation fee)

If I am not happy with those I ask for them to check the flights I want and see if there is an upcharge.

Then I decide

On the next cruise we got YYZ to SFO NONSTOP

& MIA to SFO NONSTOP on Air Canada

Great flights

Lyn

In contrast to the several positive posts...

I am booked on the 2/26/2011 SFO-MIA Marina sailing and requested a "direct flight" air deviation for BOS/SFO on 2/24/11 and "direct flight" deviation for MIA(or FLL)/BOS on 3/16/2011.

Be careful of the terminology you use for requesting flights

Your TA probably asked for NONSTOP as opposed to DIRECT

In the industry Direct can mean you may land someplace inbetween BOS & SFO. You may not have to change planes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

Archived