Oasis - Awesome - My Picture Review

Aquahound

I have to agree with Bill, both my wife and I prefer the smaller ships, especially after a mediocre experience on Freedom, but your review makes me want to reconsider. (Which means RCCL's website must need an overhaul - hint to the RCCL employees that monitor this forum)

I am still not ready to run out and book the Oasis, I think the price point is still too high, I would rather go on two smaller ship cruises for the price of 1 on Oasis. But from what I have seen, I would say it goes from a "Never" to a "Maybe"

Just check a lot of different dates. There is a HUGE range of pricing out there. Some weeks the Allure is less than the Oasis, and some weeks, it is reversed.

Paul..great photos..sorry I did see you at the Meet & Mingle:( understand the commitment with family and friends.

After meeting that first day on Central Park I did not see you again:( I know you were there though. :)

Kathy - On Oasis, the heli-pad is not accessible, but D/D+ gets a special invite for sail away. On our trip, the invite was for Nassau.

and on the Oct 16 the Western Itinerary the invite was for 4:30pm on Labadee day. Nice perk. We went both sailings

Odd.............we took lots of pictures, and the bridge staff happily permitted it. They posed, too.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Paul on the Oct 16 sailing they did allow photos to be taken as reported by those that went.. wonder why that was.

Whoever designed the Oasis photo area is a genius. I don't know what took them so long to think of this. On my Sea Pass, it said Photo#- 2-48. I had no clue what that meant until I saw the photo area called "Focus."

This goes back to the facial recognition thing. All of the photos taken of you are put in to an album. The albums are arranged numerically on pods. So, I had to find pod #2, album #48. You grab your album, and all your photos are right there in it. No more scanning thousands of pictures on a wall with shoulder-to-shoulder people trying to find yourself.

2841947260080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

There was still a wall in the back for the occasional photos not picked up by the software.

Paul as a consecutive cruiser this was an issue for us. Since we do not have a second embarkation photo taken on turnaround day & after getting the wrong photos in our folder we were advised by the photo staff on the first formal night to go and have a photo taken so they would have a record of us...a photo to recognize us by.

We were in the same cabin as the week prior but constantly had the wrong photos in our folder. The other people did not look like us at all.

Photos would disappear from out folder as I think they had our folder number mixed up with another cruiser. We were folder 12-80 both cruises and always found photos from a couple who had folder 12-8. This person's name even appeared on our interactive TV until day 4 and we could see her account and everything she was purchasing and paying for.

DH went to Guest relations the first day and was told it was a cruiser in that cabin from the previous sailing...duh we were in that cabin.:rolleyes:

When we finally got the photo folder thing straightened out and all my photos were in there, on Thursday evening when I went to decide on which ones to purchase they had all disappeared. The Manager Carmen helped me out. It got to be comical on the second sailing.

We even got birthday greetings for this phantom person on our account. So Elsie if you are a CC reader hope you had fun on the zipline you booked in Labadee LOL She was on the ship and we recognized her one day because of her photos that were in our folder.

Dinner in the MDR was great, once again. I had the Pork Loin, and DW had the Lamb. No complaints.

Our show reservation this night was the Comedy Club.

2085283390080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

This show had me in tears. It was a show that can not be repeated. There was a deaf woman sitting in the front row. Her signer sat directly in front of her on the front edge of the stage. Of course, this is not the sort of thing a comedian can ignore. I don't know what was funnier....the comedian or the signer's facial expressions trying to communicate the comedian's words and sounds. It was all done in good taste and the signer and deaf woman were practically in tears from laughter, themselves.

Paul, I am still reading through your review, but now I can't wait for our cruise. I am hearing, but my partner is deaf and we have interpreters reserved for this cruise. We have made reservations for the comedy show. I am an interpreter myself and it's always awkward when we are included in the event when we are just meant to be there to interpret. But it definitely sounds like it was all done in good taste and part of me hopes it happens with our interpreter LOL!

Paul, I am still reading through your review, but now I can't wait for our cruise. I am hearing, but my partner is deaf and we have interpreters reserved for this cruise. We have made reservations for the comedy show. I am an interpreter myself and it's always awkward when we are included in the event when we are just meant to be there to interpret. But it definitely sounds like it was all done in good taste and part of me hopes it happens with our interpreter LOL!

Of course, you will likely have different comedians than I had, but yes, it was done in good taste. In our case the very energetic interpreter with his priceless facial expressions just could not be ignored. It really was funny.

The self-serve wine dispensers in the dining room were a nice touch.

2820407900080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Also, the dining room has a bar area for pre or post dinner cocktails. This is the bar at the deck 3 entrance.

2496511000080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Paul,

Our family enjoyed seeing your photos; we are on the Allure for spring break; April 3, 2011 sailing. A few questions and comments: My DD swears that if our grandpa went on a cruise with us he would be just like the creepy speedo guy in your shot. My question is on the wine dispensers, how good does the wine get and how much does the better wine cost? We are only platinum members but we booked a suite so do you think we can wrangle a heli-pad invite like the D+'s? Jim

Paul,

Our family enjoyed seeing your photos; we are on the Allure for spring break; April 3, 2011 sailing. A few questions and comments: My DD swears that if our grandpa went on a cruise with us he would be just like the creepy speedo guy in your shot. My question is on the wine dispensers, how good does the wine get and how much does the better wine cost? We are only platinum members but we booked a suite so do you think we can wrangle a heli-pad invite like the D+'s? Jim

I confess, I am not a big wine drinker, so I am not familiar with the selection. There were 2 dispensers. One had wines at about $6 for a full glass, and the other was $9 for a full glass. The picture I posted was of the $9 wines. You can click on the picture and then zoom in on it to better see the labels. Sorry I cannot help more.

Guess what everyone - I went to the oncologist today and she is encouraging me to book this trip for January/February although DS wants me to avoid his navy Cadet camp timing of January 15-22. We will need to break the journey from Sydney to Florida somewhere. I will reallly have to get into my research mood quickly but "chemo brain" certainly makes it much more difficult to sift through the info. Also not being familiar with this cruiseline makes me feel like I am looking at a whole new language. I sure could do with any helpful advice. I am wondering whether we should make the trip a combination of experiences - one section to Southern Carribbean for interesting ports for DH (so which ship please, cruise length etc?) and then finish on a mega ship for just crazy fun!We usually conserve money on cabin selection and opt for two obstructed cabins - one for our teens and one for us as we usually don't spend much time in the cabin. However, with my illness I am thinking that maybe we should at least get a balcony for us so that I can take rest periods in privacy but out in the fresh air. Again, I would appreciate any suggestions here.With expensive flights to consider, pricing/value advice re cabins will be a huge help. I have chemo tomorrow but hope to spend many hours later in the week researching so I would appreciate any advice that comes my way. I have just turned 50. DH is 47, DS is 18 and DD is 17 so I would also love to hear of families with similar ages taking any similar cruises around the same time so that may help in our actual timing - I don't want the kids to be the only ones their age on board as has happened to them in the past. Wow - I have had such a lift in my spirits today!:)

Jen

Guess what everyone - I went to the oncologist today and she is encouraging me to book this trip for January/February although DS wants me to avoid his navy Cadet camp timing of January 15-22. We will need to break the journey from Sydney to Florida somewhere. I will reallly have to get into my research mood quickly but "chemo brain" certainly makes it much more difficult to sift through the info. Also not being familiar with this cruiseline makes me feel like I am looking at a whole new language. I sure could do with any helpful advice. I am wondering whether we should make the trip a combination of experiences - one section to Southern Carribbean for interesting ports for DH (so which ship please, cruise length etc?) and then finish on a mega ship for just crazy fun!We usually conserve money on cabin selection and opt for two obstructed cabins - one for our teens and one for us as we usually don't spend much time in the cabin. However, with my illness I am thinking that maybe we should at least get a balcony for us so that I can take rest periods in privacy but out in the fresh air. Again, I would appreciate any suggestions here.With expensive flights to consider, pricing/value advice re cabins will be a huge help. I have chemo tomorrow but hope to spend many hours later in the week researching so I would appreciate any advice that comes my way. I have just turned 50. DH is 47, DS is 18 and DD is 17 so I would also love to hear of families with similar ages taking any similar cruises around the same time so that may help in our actual timing - I don't want the kids to be the only ones their age on board as has happened to them in the past. Wow - I have had such a lift in my spirits today!:)

Jen

Jen, I'm so happy you got news to lift your spirits. I hope you have a happy time planning. (I always book inside cabins; but under the circumstances, the balcony cabin sounds perfect for you. Maybe one balcony and one nearby inside to balance out the cost??)

Kathy

Paul, thank you very much for your wonderful review, hints, and amazing photos of your Oasis cruise, love it! You have a real talent for writing and eye for photography! Nice that you had the opportunity for bridge and galley tours. I thought the Voyager would be the largest class for me, but you have definitely piqued my interest in the outrageous Oasis! ;)

Jen, I'm so happy you got news to lift your spirits. I hope you have a happy time planning. (I always book inside cabins; but under the circumstances, the balcony cabin sounds perfect for you. Maybe one balcony and one nearby inside to balance out the cost??)

Kathy

Thanks Kathy - I am bursting with excitement. Being new to Royal Carribbean, can someone please help me with cabin selection? We are aiming for Feb 27 Allure Balcony but WHERE should we be please? Ocean/Boardwalk/Central Park which deck etc

Jen

Thanks Kathy - I am bursting with excitement. Being new to Royal Carribbean, can someone please help me with cabin selection? We are aiming for Feb 27 Allure Balcony but WHERE should we be please? Ocean/Boardwalk/Central Park which deck etc

Jen

First, I recommend a D Class Oceanview balcony. Most of the venues focus on the ship, so having an oceanview balcony will give you nice ocean views.

Second, I recommend starboard (right) side. Oasis Class is set up to only put people off the starboard side when in ports. With a starboard side balcony, you will be able to see the ports.

First, I recommend a D Class Oceanview balcony. Most of the venues focus on the ship, so having an oceanview balcony will give you nice ocean views.

Second, I recommend starboard (right) side. Oasis Class is set up to only put people off the starboard side when in ports. With a starboard side balcony, you will be able to see the ports.

Jen, congratulations on your good news! Have a wonderful trip but allow for "down time" to conserve your energy! Chemo is really tough and drains you of your energy so be sure you rest some, too! Definitely get a balcony facing the ocean, it's so restful and you could get an inside for your kids. IMHO, I'd save the mega ship for last, you can judge how you feel and do as much or as little as you would like onboard. Hoping you will enjoy your cruise and take care of yourself!

Archived