Oasis - Awesome - My Picture Review

Aquahound

Day 4 was docked in St. Thomas. This was the first time I wandered off the ship. Oasis docks at Crown Bay on the other side of the harbor from the normal cruise docks at Havensight. We took a taxi over to Havensight in order to ride the sky ride to Paradise Point. The taxi was $5 per person.

I had no idea St. Thomas even had another dock. This is good to know. I would have been shocked to wake up and find out we weren't at Havensight. Too bad, because I really love just being able to get off the ship and stroll through Havensight.

Awesome review and pics, I wanted to comment that your sunset picture with the far off ship in it is almost identical to one that i took on a Carnival cruise years ago!

Great to see all of your wonderful photos, I still have 482 days to wait:eek: your review helps!

I too have the SAME picture from my Radiance cruise 2 weeks ago. Uncanny!

I had no idea St. Thomas even had another dock. This is good to know. I would have been shocked to wake up and find out we weren't at Havensight. Too bad, because I really love just being able to get off the ship and stroll through Havensight.

The Crown Bay dock does have a shopping area, but it is not nearly as big as Havensight. Downtown is about mid way between the two ports, and also offers a lot of shopping, bars, and restaurants. That said, Havensight is definitely the better of the 2 docks, and it is worth it to take a taxi over there.

This was my first time at Crown Bay. I do not know if this is a normal thing, but on the day we were in port, there was a strong and almost nauseating sewage smell in the dock area.

After a week at Disney World with my family, your review is a wonderful reminder of our upcoming Allure cruise! No time to feel sad about coming back from vacation when I have so much time to look at your amazing photos and read your well written review! THANKS for taking the time to share with us. :) Now off to dream land...

Day 6 started out with a medical emergency. Oasis had to divert to San Juan to transfer a patient to the USCG. I was in the Solarium, and it provided a good photo opportunity of San Juan.

2364547890080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

2842297910080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Thats is...right up until this guy decided to stand in front of me...

2278654680080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Is that Detective Munch from Law & Order SVU?:rolleyes:

what can i say...as a 17 time cruiser and 15 with rccl...the ship is the absolute BOMB...i agree with most folks the concern of it being soooooo big and crowded...but you have proven this myth WRONG...we are booked on the LIBERYT on march 19...i am almost disapointed we did not take the laep into either the oasis or the new allure coming soon...i wanted to say THANK YOU PAUL...you did more than an outstanding job with this review...now you need another vacation...BRAVO...

what can i say...as a 17 time cruiser and 15 with rccl...the ship is the absolute BOMB...i agree with most folks the concern of it being soooooo big and crowded...but you have proven this myth WRONG...we are booked on the LIBERYT on march 19...i am almost disapointed we did not take the laep into either the oasis or the new allure coming soon...i wanted to say THANK YOU PAUL...you did more than an outstanding job with this review...now you need another vacation...BRAVO...

I am glad that you are only ALMOST disappointed. Last year we sailed Independence over Oasis and I can assure you that a Freedom class ship is far from disappointing.

Day 5 was capped off by the 70's Street Party in the Royal Promenade. It was a blast.

2292038860080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

2420522740080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

I shot 2 videos of this event and uploaded them to You Tube. The second one is for the ladies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQM3YeoHsgM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJV0Qa2J00I

Nice video!! Where were you located, to get the best view?

Great, thanks Aquahound. One more question, is the Schooner Bar non-smoking?

I am not 100% sure, but I want to say yes....it is non-smoking. I do not like cigarette smoke, and I never had a problem in the Schooner Bar, which leads me to believe it was non-smoking.

We were on the Rising Tide bar were Richard does the last part of that show. Great place to be! :D

Yes! Rising Tides is great. Board in Central Park and they bring it down to viewing level for the show. At the end, The CD rides it back up to CP. Then, you have absolutely no crowd to deal with when getting off. That's where I watched it on my first Oasis cruise.

If you are D or D+, the Diamond Lounge is a great place to watch also.

I'm not a fan of Crown Bay at all. Just seems so isolated when one is used to Havensight. I wish that St. Thomas could have worked out the issues with the dredging.

I am not 100% sure, but I want to say yes....it is non-smoking. I do not like cigarette smoke, and I never had a problem in the Schooner Bar, which leads me to believe it was non-smoking.

I'm pretty sure that the Schooner Bar is "half and half" - smoking only at the bar. And the bar end has a very good view of the "party" on the Promenade.

Great, thanks Aquahound. One more question, is the Schooner Bar non-smoking?

I'm pretty sure that the Schooner Bar is "half and half" - smoking only at the bar. And the bar end has a very good view of the "party" on the Promenade.

The Schooner is 100% non-smoking now. They switched it to be totally non-smoking sometime mid-late September.

Boleros is still a smoking bar as is the Globe and Atlas Pub. I don't smoke, so don't know if any other bars/lounges allow smoking. Knew Boleros was 'cause of CC and the Globe and Atlas when I went in to get some photos.

Agree, Last time I used that setting was for the rising of the blue moon, and they did turn our blurry, then found that I could use the side mirror of the car for stabilization. I should invest in a small tripod of some kind, but hate the thought of another thing to carry around! :eek:

Your pictures are great!!!

Hi Linda,

This is the tripod that travels with my camera at all times. It's light, compact and can hang on to just about anything! :D

http://joby.com/gorillapod/original/

Hope this helps!

-Maria

What a well written, and very informative review. Thank You for all the time you put into writing it. The pictures were great. I especially liked the sunset ones, from your 1st evening, and the sunrise one was also lovely.

Do you happen to have a list, or know where I can find one, of all the eating venue's, and which charge a fee, and which are free?

I had Richard Spacey as the CD on our very first RC cruise. Several years ago on Majesty. Boy has he come a long way, and he really deserves it. I thought he was terrific, and I've never forgotten him. I'm so happy to see he still has all the same high energy, and terrific fun personality. Hope to catch up with him again one of these days. :D:

Archived