How much weight do you gain?

gingera

We never gain weight on a cruise - in fact usually lose a pound or two. We take the stairs, I continue my workouts in the gym and walk the ship in the am and we walk in to the ports. There are all kinds of healthy choices for food. Our philosophy has always been moderation in food and drink - it serves us well. And we thoroughly enjoy eating!!!

Hi All

OK we do try the burger, the pizza and love the desserts, the odd beer etc, do not swim and do not go to the gym and we still lose weight, so those folk that put on weight,

just what are you doing that you do not do back home.

yours Shogun

I blame the bedtime chocolates :mad: :D

I gain weight like its going out of style.

I try to run, play basketball and swim in ports and still average gaining 1 pound a day. That is why I lose the weight prior because I know I will gain it back. I am 6 foot1 and shooting for 185LBS by December, im about 195now To easy...haha

I blame it on, I am sad to say those darn foo foo drinks I drink. They taste so good and go down to easily.

I know never blame the alcohol....haha

Doesn't the quantity of alcohol affect anybody?

DH and I are very moderate drinkers at home but always have a glass or two of wine when we go out for a meal. My 1st cruise will be next year and I just figured that as our alcohol consumption will (probably) significantly increase my weight would go the same way.

I still plan on loosing a bit of weight before I go, (I have a dress that I am desperate to wear on a formal night which only fits when I'm at my thinnest!) but all of the posts have inspired me. Thank you!

DH and I are very moderate drinkers at home but always have a glass or two of wine when we go out for a meal. My 1st cruise will be next year and I just figured that as our alcohol consumption will (probably) significantly increase my weight would go the same way.

I still plan on loosing a bit of weight before I go, (I have a dress that I am desperate to wear on a formal night which only fits when I'm at my thinnest!) but all of the posts have inspired me. Thank you!

Yes, it does affect me. I try to stick to red wine, which has only trace carbs, and gin and diet tonic. I avoid the creamy cocktails and go for the dry martinis, which I prefer anyway.

I really envy all the people who say they lose weight. I dread to think what weight gain I would have if I ate the bread, cookies and pastries that I would like to, though I do enjoy dessert with dinner everyday.

You'll have to wear the tight dress for the first formal night ;)

I have heard that weight which is quickly gained can also be quickly lost. I don't know if this is true, but it sure is comforting. I would bet that regardless of what has been posted here, most people gain pounds. I am a moderate drinker at home, but onboard I usually have a cocktail before dinner, 1/4 of a bottle of wine at dinner, sometimes a glass or two in our cabin, and on rare occasions a beer in the MDR at lunch. That's way more than what I'd have at home and it must take its toll.

crazydizzymooalcohol...

Yes, it does affect me. I try to stick to red wine, which has only trace carbs, and gin and diet tonic. I avoid the creamy cocktails and go for the dry martinis, which I prefer anyway.

I really envy all the people who say they lose weight. I dread to think what weight gain I would have if I ate the bread, cookies and pastries that I would like to, though I do enjoy dessert with dinner everyday.

I'd probably attribute my weight gain to both alcohol, I like my speciality martinis and cream drinks (I usually stay away from those at home) breads at dinner and the lovely pasteries at the IC.

Usually 5-7 pounds... but this year I'm going to try a body wrap before the first formal night... to guarentee I fit in that LBD :o

It is 313 days away (I love my countdown clock!) but I've already planned my 3 formal night outfits. Although the first is a little tight, I've ensured the following two have 'breathing' room!

As for the bread, cookies and pastries... as it's my first cruise I feel I am obliged to try everything. I really mean everything, at least twice...

It's the alcohol and desserts that do me in too! At home we generally only drink wine with dinner, but on a cruise I have a before dinner martini, a couple of glasses of wine, and sometimes even an after dinner liqueur. (I won't even mention the occ lunch beer/wine)

I also must try dessert after dinner even if it is a small dish of ice cream.This ends up being WAY more than at home. I utilize the gym and/or track and keep it off except for about 5# which comes off once home. However, once when in my younger years I totally pigged out and gained 7 # one week on a cruise and 7# the following week on a land vacation. That was too much and took more effort to get off once back home. Whoever said it was hard to get back on track is right!

I agree with not eating all that is on your plate. That at least works for me - and still get to try it all. (Just don't tell my mother - she was one of those "clean your plate" types!:))

It is 313 days away (I love my countdown clock!) but I've already planned my 3 formal night outfits. Although the first is a little tight, I've ensured the following two have 'breathing' room!

Just make sure you wear the tightess outfit first and the loosest outfit last !!! :)

I have heard that weight which is quickly gained can also be quickly lost..

Yes, that fast wt gain from eating poorly for a few days is often fluid wt...when simple sugars(think pastries, white breads and candy) are ingested, the body retains lots of fluids, kinda like the fluid retention with ingesting salt.,,,,,that kind of wt gain will easily get dropped once you are back to eating healthily again. :)

Yes, that fast wt gain from eating poorly for a few days is often fluid wt...when simple sugars(think pastries, white breads and candy) are ingested, the body retains lots of fluids, kinda like the fluid retention with ingesting salt.,,,,,that kind of wt gain will easily get dropped once you are back to eating healthily again. :)

I wondered why that was - Thanks for the info!! When I go ring shopping - they are invariably tight - I just thought it I was fatter - but it always goes away within a few days of the time I get back.

I usually gain 4 - 5 pounds on a 7 day cruise. We just returned from 12 day Mediterranean and I gained 8....but that was with 3 meals a day - lots of pasta - lots of gelato - and lots of desserts. Its mostly lost again now.

I eat light breakfasts and lunches when I am home, so eating 3 full meals definitel affects my weight - but food is such an important part of my enjoyment of vacation - it is definitely worth it!!

I also try to lose a few pounds before I go, so I don't have so much to lose when I return...

Our first cruise I gained 8 lbs. I decided if I was going to keep cruising, I needed to change my ways. Past few cruises I haven't gained more than 1-2 lbs. I don't take the elevators and try to walk at least 2 miles around the track every. I also usually find the appetizers way more appealing than the entrees so I often skip the entree altogether and simply have 1-2 appetizers We also usually order room service for breakfast. Sitting on our balcony with our coffee and eating a light breakfast is one of the best parts of cruising.

I try to lose a few before I go (and I am petite to begin with) because 4 - 5 lbs is a full dress size for me. I do walk a lot onboard and on shore so that helps but, invariable, I come home a few lbs heavier. I definitely start the week in bikinis and end the week in one piece suits with a cover-up :(

My husband and I make a deal only to take the stairs when cruising, except for formal nights dinner as I am in high heels. We eat whatever we want and hit the stair and have never gained a pound!

If your knees can take it, take the stairs!

Have fun!

Depending on the length - 3-5lbs for me and 5-10lbs for Hubby...and we workout 60-90mins (cardio and weights) every day and never use the elevator! We eat extremely clean at home (fitness competitors) so when we're on vacation it's no holds barred! We try everything and don't restrict ourselves at all! This past summer we did a 12 day Med Cruise and I thought I was going to OD on that yummy banana bread at breakfast!! Then it's back to reality when we get home :(

I totally hear you lol...My wife and I went on a 12 day med cruise this summer for our honeymoon and at the wedding I weighed 183 after the honeymoon i weighed in at 198 ... 2 days before the cruise in Barcelona and 2 days after in Rome but that works out to almost 1 lb per day:eek:. Am also a fitness freak so i guess maybe we tend to gain quickly

I totally hear you lol...My wife and I went on a 12 day med cruise this summer for our honeymoon and at the wedding I weighed 183 after the honeymoon i weighed in at 198 ... 2 days before the cruise in Barcelona and 2 days after in Rome but that works out to almost 1 lb per day:eek:. Am also a fitness freak so i guess maybe we tend to gain quickly

Had a tablemate who had a theorey on what causes some of the weight gain which could be part of the cause.

He said consuming more salt (not what anyone adds at the table) in the food causes fluid retention. There could be something to it because even after month long cruises I only gain a couple of pounds. I keep active & don't stuff my face and the extra weight is gone within a few days after returning home by eating normally again.

Who knows...could be true...or not...just a speculation.

Archived