How much weight do you gain?

gingera

Depending on the length - 3-5lbs for me and 5-10lbs for Hubby...and we workout 60-90mins (cardio and weights) every day and never use the elevator! We eat extremely clean at home (fitness competitors) so when we're on vacation it's no holds barred! We try everything and don't restrict ourselves at all! This past summer we did a 12 day Med Cruise and I thought I was going to OD on that yummy banana bread at breakfast!! Then it's back to reality when we get home :(

None / 0 / nada. As a matter of fact, I often lose weight because the availability of fresh fruit and veggies is more than what I have at home. I deny myself nothing but try everything, including all five dinner courses. I finish only what is really, really good. I'm also not a dessert person so I guess that helps. I usually have a couple of spoonfuls of sherbet or ice cream for dessert. Never worked out on a cruise.

Only about 2# - from fluid retention. My ankles are usually swollen, but as soon as I've been home for 24-36 hours, it's gone.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

That goes along with a tablemate said about fluid retention by consuming more salt onboard. Although the salt % could be the same but eating more could mean more salt & thus more fluid retention & being heavier. .

I try to do an hour on the treadmill at least half of the days which works for me. We have late TD & go about 5:00pm so there's no problem with others waiting. With the gym exercising, walking the stairs & walking in port, even on month long cruises only gain a couple of pounds. And generally it's gone a few days after returning home...whether it's less salt or less calories that's been my experience. I'm over 60 & exercise regularly at home however don't try to do too much or you could end up injured.

I usually gain 2-5 lbs., my husband, the rat, often loses. I think it's because he does a lot more exercise, mostly walking, on board than he does at home and because he's not a dessert person.

We eat what we want, certainly more than we do at home or more than we need, but we try to be sensible without feeling deprived. DH is better at this than me--I love to sample everything!

We both walk 3-5 miles a day on board and in port, almost always use the stairs (maybe not when I'm in high heels) and I go to exercise classes or use the gym as well. We tend to do more active excursions like snorkeling or hiking too.

I try to always lose some weight pre-cruise so the extra pounds aren't so bad. My biggest problem is that when I come home I have trouble re-adjusting mentally to eating more sensibly.

I normally loose 3-5 pounds on a cruise 10 days or more in length. The only cruise I sometimes gain weight on are 7 day sailings. All I can figure is that the food is all 'new' to me on a 7 day cruise, where as on a longer cruise, it all starts tasting the same to me after awhile ;)

I normally loose 3-5 pounds on a cruise 10 days or more in length. The only cruise I sometimes gain weight on are 7 day sailings. All I can figure is that the food is all 'new' to me on a 7 day cruise, where as on a longer cruise, it all starts tasting the same to me after awhile ;)
Exactly. We often make arrangements the day before and request a chef's or cobb salad as an entree instead of what's on the menu. I LOVE salad and eat a lot of them on a cruise.

I wish I had your metabolism and self-control -- particularly finishing "only what is really, really good". I have to make a concerted effort to keep that in mind because I've only just recently taken off the weight I added from this past summer's cruises. :o

I wish I had your metabolism and self-control -- particularly finishing "only what is really, really good". I have to make a concerted effort to keep that in mind because I've only just recently taken off the weight I added from this past summer's cruises. :o

That's also a method I use. I rarely totally finish anything, that is unless it is 'to die for'. Even with desserts, I try for small portions or eat about half (again, unless it is to die for lol). I get to taste everything, but don't stuff myself at every meal. Watching how some passengers put away the food makes me wonder if they packed clothes two sizes to big to wear home, as there is no way they would fit into the same clothes they wore for boarding. :)

Exactly. We often make arrangements the day before and request a chef's or cobb salad as an entree instead of what's on the menu. I LOVE salad and eat a lot of them on a cruise.

Pam, I never thought of doing this on Princess. Thanks for the suggestion. Generally, I just get two of the salad of the day, but I like the idea of controlling the ingredients a bit more.

On our cruises last January-February, I lost 7 pounds over 27 nights of cruises (please God, again this year!!!). The variety and abundance of healthy food makes it pretty easy to eat good, nutritious food while on a cruise. I just don't eat a single bread or pastry, and limit my desserts to mixed berries or the occasional meringue. The cheese is my weakness...I LOVE cheese, and we don't ever indulge in the good stuff at home, so it's a real treat.

I've gained 5 pds on a 7 day cruise, and lost 5 pds on a 14 day cruise. We do better when we don't cruise with friends - we tend to drink quite a bit more when we cruise with them.

We try to walk everywhere, and we do the treadmills pretty much every morning.

I TRY not to do the desserts, mainly because while they always look yummy, most times they aren't - or at least they aren't worth the calories.

Unfortunately DW found the warm cookies in the afternoon which so far my self control seems to be AWOL!

I have a lousy metabolism and love to eat. :) No self-control which is why I'm "fluffy." On the other hand, I tend to get turned off by large quantities of food or a constant supply of rich food.

Gee, with everybody losing weight, where do all those fat people I see on every cruise come from? :)
They're still there, balancing platters piled with food as they search for a table in the buffet. I once saw a guy who had three platters piled with food and he was using two forks, one in each hand, to shovel it all in. Whenever my sister and I took our kids on a cruise, my nephew's soon-to-be ex-wife would have two appetizers, two entrees and two desserts (and finish them all) at every dinner. Plus drinks. I have no idea what she had for breakfast and lunch. After just a few days, she couldn't fit into anything she brought. Literally.

Doesn't mean I was skinny when I got on the ship! :-)
Me, neither. :)

I'm not going to be on a diet when I'm on a cruise. I eat whatever I want in whatever quantities I want, with very little self-control. There's no way I'm going to watch what I eat, or only have salad or fruit instead of "real" food.

The most I've ever gained on a cruise is 4 pounds. My average is a 2 pound gain, all of which is easily lost within a week once I'm home and resume eating normally. I am definitely more active on a cruise than I am at home, so that helps keep the gain within a manageable/negligable level.

I was very surprised when I lost 3 pounds on a 4 day cruise. I have trouble eating starches and sugar, so that limits the menu some, but It doesn't mean that I'm chosing lean meats and salads all the time either. Last year I made the mistake of having the melting chocolate cake with one full day at sea left. OH MY! I think I LIVED on chocolate the next day! I was a mess!! And it was so worth it! ha!!

It took me a while to get myself back on track once I got back home - that's my real problem. The weeks or months it can take to get the will power, or to get sick enough that I finally straighten my diet out again!! I know better than to eat that cake this year!

I try to stay the same. I use the stairs all the time and walk extra laps around the Promenade Deck to get at least 12,000 steps in each day. And I order fruit for dessert unless they have one of my favorites, which they tend to do too often.

Archived