Diamond member activities to be curtailed

JIMDSB2

Just heard that RCCL will be phasing out most of the special Diamond and Diamond+ member parties and get togethers, except on the Oasis and Allure, due to space restrictions. On a recent cruise, there was no room for the Diamond people,to sit in their nightly recognition parties. This is a major problem for those of us that have worked to become diamond members. Now there will be very limited recognition. You would think that if they want many multiple voyagers, they would make a better attempt.

Just heard that RCCL will be phasing out most of the special Diamond and Diamond+ member parties and get togethers, except on the Oasis and Allure, due to space restrictions. On a recent cruise, there was no room for the Diamond people,to sit in their nightly recognition parties. This is a major problem for those of us that have worked to become diamond members. Now there will be very limited recognition. You would think that if they want many multiple voyagers, they would make a better attempt.

So where did you hear it?

So where did you hear it?

Almost everything except on the Oasis and Allure.

My friend called them yesterday to question why there was no room for the diamond nightly cocktail parties on a recent cruise. It was a voyager class ship.

My friend called them yesterday to question why there was no room for the diamond nightly cocktail parties on a recent cruise. It was a voyager class ship.

It seems weird that they would just drop a major C&A benefit with no announcement or warning.

Just heard? Sorry, but sources would be nice. I have my brothers friend, whos uncle knows this guy, whos daughters boyfriend knows a plumber that heard it from this guy in the barber shop.:) Rumor mill.....

I just did a live chat with C&A about this. There are NO plans to eliminate the nightly Diamond Event (happy hour) on ships without a Diamond Lounge.

I just got through spending 19 nights on the Rhapsody, and they had the evening happy hour just like always, and no news about changing it.

I think what MIGHT be coming is to eliminate the Platinum, Diamond, and Diamond Plus ONE TIME party on every cruise. That combination of people may get too crowded. It's inevitable if the numbers in C&A keep growing. However, it doesn't make much sense to not have it, because it's a great way to talk about future cruising and what's coming up.

I think what MIGHT be coming is to eliminate the Platinum, Diamond, and Diamond Plus ONE TIME party on every cruise. That combination of people may get too crowded. It's inevitable if the numbers in C&A keep growing. However, it doesn't make much sense to not have it, because it's a great way to talk about future cruising and what's coming up.

Mariner now offers a luncheon with senior officers instead of the evening cocktail party for P/D/D+. I'm looking forward to trying it for something new and different. They can manage the fluctuation in numbers better that way, since they can just set more places in the dining room rather than trying to shove everybody into one lounge. And they save money by not offering cocktails, just wine.

I don't have a LOT of background..I just went platinum back in March, but in my humble opinion, there will come a time when they will have to cut back "loyalty" events for all levels onboard in the future. It's only to be expected.

Many "first timers" are becoming (like I am) real fans of cruising...so the sheer volume of returnees is going to grow proportionately as time goes on. Cruising, has become a pretty mainstream family vacation, whereas (again, MY opinion) it started out as an "elite" vacation.

Again, JMHO... :D

I don't have a LOT of background..I just went platinum back in March, but in my humble opinion, there will come a time when they will have to cut back "loyalty" events for all levels onboard in the future. It's only to be expected.

Many "first timers" are becoming (like I am) real fans of cruising...so the sheer volume of returnees is going to grow proportionately as time goes on. Cruising, has become a pretty mainstream family vacation, whereas (again, MY opinion) it started out as an "elite" vacation.

Again, JMHO... :D

I agree. I think the number of C&A members is close to a million, and they are going to just have too many P, D, D+ eventually. D+ is around 1,000, I think, but Platinum is the heavy-hitter numbers.

Pretty soon the WHOLE ship will be P, D, D+ and they will give it ALL away! :D

We recently went to a special D D+ tea with senior officers. The officers stood at the entrance to welcome us and that was the last we saw of them!!:eek::D

Nice enough tea though!!:)

Champagne, make that sparkling wine......well on most occassions, it was the real stuff on The Oasis :D

If the OP is talking about the P/D/D+ welcome back party being eliminated, I'm okay with that. We stopped going years ago. We are eons away from winning that bottle of champagne anyway.

May I ask who your friend called yesterday? "Them" can mean a whole lot of people.

If the OP is talking about the P/D/D+ welcome back party being eliminated, I'm okay with that. We stopped going years ago. We are eons away from winning that bottle of champagne anyway.

Us too for the most part unless it's a smaller ship.

Mariner now offers a luncheon with senior officers instead of the evening cocktail party for P/D/D+. I'm looking forward to trying it for something new and different. They can manage the fluctuation in numbers better that way, since they can just set more places in the dining room rather than trying to shove everybody into one lounge. And they save money by not offering cocktails, just wine.

Just got off the Mariner on 10/10/10, didn't know anything about the luncheon. Nothing in our cabin...

Was on the Sept. 26th Mariner cruise where a group of us were told by an officer that the luncheon were going to be curtailed/stopped. I understood that the luncheon we were at was to be the last one. However since Barb was just on the Mariner recently maybe she will see this post and correct me if I am wrong. It wouldn't be the first time and I am sure not the last. :)

A number of suggestions were made to the officer at our table which he may or may not have shared with higher ups.

I agree. I think the number of C&A members is close to a million, and they are going to just have too many P, D, D+ eventually. D+ is around 1,000, I think, but Platinum is the heavy-hitter numbers.

Pretty soon the WHOLE ship will be P, D, D+ and they will give it ALL away! :D

Wow really? Only 1,000 D+?

I find it hard to believe they are doing away with the Nightly Diamond VIP event after all the commotion about concierge access being denied.

Now the Welcome Back "repeaters" party - they could dispense with that one, they are usually over crowded and I am sure they can find a way to thank repeat passengers without cramming them in a room for a couple of free cocktails.

Archived