Diamond member activities to be curtailed

JIMDSB2

Mariner now offers a luncheon with senior officers instead of the evening cocktail party for P/D/D+. I'm looking forward to trying it for something new and different. They can manage the fluctuation in numbers better that way, since they can just set more places in the dining room rather than trying to shove everybody into one lounge. And they save money by not offering cocktails, just wine.

Having been to this luncheon on both Navigator and Radiance, I opted to skip it on Mariner. I saw what a mob scene it was as they entered the dining room and was glad we chose not to attend. On the other ships it was so crowded that we weren't even close to having any level officer at our table. When Platinum is thrown into the mix, any event will be too large now. The CL is nothing when compared with these crowds that include everyone with 5 cruises or more.

Gina

Just got off the Mariner on 10/10/10, didn't know anything about the luncheon. Nothing in our cabin...

If there were a whole lot of D and D+ members on the cruise, they will cut the P's out of this perk. I am guessing this is what might have happened to you.

On a cruise where this happened to us, we and a few other couples ( I learned later), contacted guest relations and told them that we understood that there was no room at the luncheon for the Platinum folk, so we would accept some OBC in lieu of the benefit that was due us (the luncheon). All of us who did this were invited to the luncheon. I'm just sorry all the other P's on the cruise didn't assert their rights, too.

I'm above P now, but I still think it is not fair to dis-invite the P people because there are too many D and D+ on board. If the perk is there, like the luncheon, then the people who are entitled to it should either be invited or otherwise compensated if there is no room for them. It's not the C&A member's fault that ths ship can't accommodate them.

Just my two cents worth.

Hearsay:

unverified, unofficial information gained or acquired from another and not part of one's direct knowledge: I pay no attention to hearsay.

2. an item of idle or unverified information or gossip; rumor: a malicious hearsay.

Verifiable:

1. to prove the truth of, as by evidence or testimony; confirm; substantiate: Events verified his prediction.

2. to ascertain the truth or correctness of, as by examination, research, or comparison: to verify a spelling.

3. to act as ultimate proof or evidence of; serve to confirm.

4. Law . a. to prove or confirm (an allegation).

b. to state to be true, esp. in legal use, formally or upon oath.

When I see it from RCL i'll believe it.:) JMO

Speculation:

1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.

2. a single instance or process of consideration.

3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.

4. conjectural consideration of a matter; conjecture or surmise: a report based on speculation rather than facts.

5. engagement in business transactions involving considerable risk but offering the chance of large gains, esp. trading in commodities, stocks, etc., in the hope of profit from changes in the market price.

6. a speculative commercial venture or undertaking.

I agree. I think the number of C&A members is close to a million, and they are going to just have too many P, D, D+ eventually. D+ is around 1,000, I think, but Platinum is the heavy-hitter numbers.

Pretty soon the WHOLE ship will be P, D, D+ and they will give it ALL away! :D

Try 6.5 million! Here is a link : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1289514&highlight=million

Love these topics!!

Almost as much as you guys hate my opinion on it!!!:p

It's got to change. simple math with amounnt of C&A members and size of rooms these things are held in!! Most are already saying that the DL's can't even hold the amount and is moved to another venue.

Loyalty needs to be rewarded in a fashion that does not include a room IMHO.

I will be taking my first cruise as "platinum" in November. I recall always having a one night cocktail thing, even as gold. It seems to not recognize people in all "classes" would be inappropriate. What's the use then of having gold or platinum levels? I understand the crowding. Seems the D/D+ have it good with a nightly HH. Why not just have a separate one night thing for gold and another for platinum without the D's around us. They don't want to come anyway and hang with "us"....lol

If the OP is talking about the P/D/D+ welcome back party being eliminated, I'm okay with that. We stopped going years ago. We are eons away from winning that bottle of champagne anyway.

We too had stopped going...lost out on a bottle of champagne in March because we didn't go....We are only in the 40's never dreamed we would be the next to top cruiser.

donna

"worked to become diamond members"? Come on now. You paid your money for a cruise. Recieved a cruise in return. Any other "reward" is complimentary. To endure the torture of a cruise JUST to get some points is dopey. Cruise for the experience nothing else....oh yea we are diamond...woopti doooo:rolleyes:

If there were a whole lot of D and D+ members on the cruise, they will cut the P's out of this perk. I am guessing this is what might have happened to you.

On a cruise where this happened to us, we and a few other couples ( I learned later), contacted guest relations and told them that we understood that there was no room at the luncheon for the Platinum folk, so we would accept some OBC in lieu of the benefit that was due us (the luncheon). All of us who did this were invited to the luncheon. I'm just sorry all the other P's on the cruise didn't assert their rights, too.

I'm above P now, but I still think it is not fair to dis-invite the P people because there are too many D and D+ on board. If the perk is there, like the luncheon, then the people who are entitled to it should either be invited or otherwise compensated if there is no room for them. It's not the C&A member's fault that ths ship can't accommodate them.

Just my two cents worth.

You have no "rights".

But you do have chutzpah! :eek:

Well I just asked over on the Jan 9, 2011 Mariner Roll Call and Barb who is sailing a couple times each month of the Mariner responding to my question about the luncheon. It has stopped and the party on Friday night has returned. This is for the Mariner don't know what other ship are doing.

seems to me that with kids hitting adulthood at D and above that it has been inevitable for some time that the loyalty perks are not sustainable. they simply created too many monsters to fit anywhere. (apologies to those who are not the least bit monstrous)

I also think it's ridiculous for anyone to say they "worked" to become whatever status.

jmo

seems to me that with kids hitting adulthood at D and above that it has been inevitable for some time that the loyalty perks are not sustainable. they simply created too many monsters to fit anywhere. (apologies to those who are not the least bit monstrous)

I also think it's ridiculous for anyone to say they "worked" to become whatever status.

jmo

Many of the kids hitting adulthood actually earned D or D+ by cruising not just based on mommy and daddy cruising. My DD actually with her next cruise will have earned enough credits to hold D on her own...and by the time she is an adult will most likely have earned D+ on her own cruising history.

DD is presently D on my credits, but at her age now there is no difference in G, P, D, or D+ as she is too young to get invited to the parties and booze it up on her own.

I do agree though that when folks are not part of the household, they should revert to the status they have earned, not just what they had....and perhaps everyone regardless of where they live should only sail under their earned status, not under the highest household status.

It amazes me that people are so concerned about Diamond luncheons, parties, etc. I am probably in the minority but while I am happy to have take 13 cruises, I didn't do it just for perks. I sailed because I love cruise ships and the cruising experience. I'd rather get bigger discounts than worry about a party. To each his own.

Mariner now offers a luncheon with senior officers instead of the evening cocktail party for P/D/D+. I'm looking forward to trying it for something new and different. They can manage the fluctuation in numbers better that way, since they can just set more places in the dining room rather than trying to shove everybody into one lounge. And they save money by not offering cocktails, just wine.

Several years ago, we were on a ship with RCI that did this. For us this was a nice alternative as we don't drink much and really don't enjoy the large crowds at the parties. Others weren't so thrilled as they prefered the free drinks and felt the food was an included part of the cruise anyway.

Archived