Voyager Dry Dock Questions

VentureForth

So... I'm just curious. What kind of power do they have available on the ship while it's generators are offline? Do they plug into shore power? How much can they do in the ship while it's pods are getting worked on? What sort of crew do you think they have? Time to get some of that deferred maintenance out of the way? Or is the whole crew out of work and out of pay while the pod is getting fixed?

As much as answers to these, I'd like to see other questions about what can be going in right now...

I once asked Louise Ross (former Social Hostess) about drydock. She said she loved it! Lots of "different" work to do - her project that time was cataloging the library! But she also said that they often have to make do with limited or no power at times and sometimes even sleep out on deck. Needless to say, it is "blue jean" work, and not her normal "social hostess" type garb!!

I think when they have a planned drydock many cerw go home. But this one is unplanned, so presumably they are all on board and all have tasks. And since France is on strike, and particularly the Marseilles area, not much to do on land.

Well I hope the social hostesses etc. get to wear work gloves! Wouldn't want to ruin their nails!

I'm not surprised by this, having seen headwaiters delivering luggage in the past. I'm sure it's probably kind of a break in a weird way--they are probably happy to be still being paid.

Next milestone will be to hear that Voyager has *left* Marseilles and is chugging merrily on its way to Athens.

Or, Wendy, at least towards Italy so it can re-fuel!! Not much fuel in France these days apparently!! I assume it will take two days to get to Athens, more or less. And it should arrive no later than the morning of 27th October, which is next Wednesday. So we should look to see it moving on this Monday at the latest. That great marine traffic site should provide the information.

Yes, I was thinking that, although maybe they refuelled before the strikes. At least Genoa is close!

And Monaco even closer, which is where we had to stay the first night of our cruise due to the strikes in France.

I have been told by someone who professes to know about these things that fuel problems in France relate to petrol leaving the refineries and fuel for marine vessels is not in question.

The French Government used police to break the refinery picket lines today, according to the BBC news tonight.

Saw the same newsbroadcast T - and it was also reported on the Swiss nightly news (so it must be true?!!)

Hopefully Voyager has enough fuel anyway to get to Athens. Monte Carlo wouldn't do, since I suppose all their fuel comes from France. Anyway, let's hope she is underway very soon...

I heard from others that were on board the Voyager on October 3rd that some of the crew were flown home the next day. So, it sounds like most of the crew are on board - but not all. Somehow. . . . somewhere, they will need to board the Voyager prior to the passengers boarding on the 27th.

Archived