Breakfast in Barcelona

ricntina

Many hotels offer buffets breakfasts.

Typical "breakfast" in Barcelona is coffee and a pastry first thing in the morning and then something more substantial like omelette(which they call a tortilla) or a sandwich later in the morning.

Are you looking for a USA breakfast??

Where are you staying??

The hotel breakfasts tend to be a bit pricey. We just went out on the street and found a place that served breakfast, ended up spending 2-3 euros/pp. Another option is Starbucks which had several breakfast muffins and croissants.

Kirk

The hotel breakfasts tend to be a bit pricey. We just went out on the street and found a place that served breakfast, ended up spending 2-3 euros/pp. Another option is Starbucks which had several breakfast muffins and croissants.

Kirk

Many hotels offer buffets breakfasts.

Typical "breakfast" in Barcelona is coffee and a pastry first thing in the morning and then something more substantial like omelette(which they call a tortilla) or a sandwich later in the morning.

Are you looking for a USA breakfast??

Where are you staying??

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies. We are staying at the Hotel Jazz. Know they have a buffet, but neither one of us are big eaters so the buffet would be an expensive waster. I guess that a USA style of breakfast would be great for us.

Rick

UNfortunately I don't know of a restaurant with USA style breakfast. I was kind of afraid that that was what you were looking for. I don't want to suggest McDonalds because Barcelona is a great city for good food!

Lots of small cafes have better pastries than you would find in a Starbucks too. They also will have sandwiches of ham and cheese etc. on great bread

You can just look and point at what you prefer.

Some of the tapas places nearby like Ciudad Condal on the corner of Rambla Catalunya, start serving breakfast dishes at 8AM but you 'd have to go in and look at what they are offering to see if you want it.

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies. We are staying at the Hotel Jazz. Know they have a buffet, but neither one of us are big eaters so the buffet would be an expensive waster. I guess that a USA style of breakfast would be great for us.

Rick

We had coffee and a pastry at the Starbucks around the corner and down the block from the Hotel Jazz. You could also ask at the front desk for a recommendation.

We stayed at Hotel Inglaterra which is right across the street from Hotel Jazz. Right next door to Hotel Inglaterra is a little breakfast place that serves up a nice inexpensive breakfast, they had yummy little breakfast sandwiches. Also if you go down the side street between Hotel Inglaterra and the breakfast place is a little grocery store, not even a block away that has snacks, drinks and some fresh fruits.

If you want to go the Starbucks route there is one about half way to Placa de Catalunya on the left, right by the metro I think or if you go the other way there is one on the far side of the Univeristat plaza.

Kirk

Some of the tapas places nearby like Ciudad Condal on the corner of Rambla Catalunya, start serving breakfast dishes at 8AM but you 'd have to go in and look at what they are offering to see if you want it.

We were in Barcelona two years ago and found plenty of places for dinner. Will take a look at Ciuidad Condal so thanks.

We had coffee and a pastry at the Starbucks around the corner and down the block from the Hotel Jazz. You could also ask at the front desk for a recommendation.

Will also take a look at Starbucks. Thanks

We stayed at Hotel Inglaterra which is right across the street from Hotel Jazz. Right next door to Hotel Inglaterra is a little breakfast place that serves up a nice inexpensive breakfast, they had yummy little breakfast sandwiches. Also if you go down the side street between Hotel Inglaterra and the breakfast place is a little grocery store, not even a block away that has snacks, drinks and some fresh fruits.

If you want to go the Starbucks route there is one about half way to Placa de Catalunya on the left, right by the metro I think or if you go the other way there is one on the far side of the Univeristat plaza.

Kirk

That little breakfast place might be perfect and having that gracery store will sure come in handy.

Rick:)

From the Jazz just walk down a couple blocks to La Boqueria market. Lots of breakfast choices there. Also there is a Dunkin Donuts on the corner of Las Ramblas and the entrance of La Boqueria.

Thanks for another good suggestion. Getting hungry just thinking about it :eek:.

Rick

Best bet are cafes and pastry places. Ecriba on the Rambla has great morning pastries as well as good coffee, so is Mauri on La Rambla de Catalunya in the Eixample. There are couple of good places (Forno al Maure) for coffee and pastries on c/Ferran just off the Rambla.

Best bet are cafes and pastry places. Ecriba on the Rambla has great morning pastries as well as good coffee, so is Mauri on La Rambla de Catalunya in the Eixample. There are couple of good places (Forno al Maure) for coffee and pastries on c/Ferran just off the Rambla.

With all these great suggestions wish we were staying for a week rather than just being there two days for a cruise. Now am sure we won't have a problem for breakfast.

Rick:)

Ok - we've been to Barcelona four times, five if you could both the pre and post cruise stays on our most recent cruise. On the second to last day there we discovered how fantastic the little bakery cafes are that are throughout the city.

Our friends had wanted to go there as they saw some great looking pastries, croissants and muffins. We were not crazy about the idea as we're not crazy about sweet rolls in the morning but went there that day. We ended up buying some little baguette egg sandwiches which were out of this world. We discovered that the baguettes these places sell, and make sandwiches out of, are absolutely fantastic. Had breakfast there the next morning and they didn't have the egg sandwiches out yet so we bought cheese sandwiches and lattes. It was a great inexpensive breakfast. And our friends who had the breakfast pastries loved those too. The place we went to by our hotel was on Ramblas de Catalunya (other side of the Placa Catalunya from the main La Ramblas) and the corner of Diputacio (two blocks norh of Placa Catlunya and was called LeRambla31 - but I imagine the ohter places are just as nice.

There appears to be some great suggestion in these previous posts.

It would seem to me to be a "crying shame" to go anywhere in Europe and eat any meal at a US-style franchise such as Starbucks, McDonalds, Hard Rock Cafe, etc.

IMHO travel is all about trying the local food, coffee, wine, etc. - just as important as seeing the sights.

There appears to be some great suggestion in these previous posts.

It would seem to me to be a "crying shame" to go anywhere in Europe and eat any meal at a US-style franchise such as Starbucks, McDonalds, Hard Rock Cafe, etc.

IMHO travel is all about trying the local food, coffee, wine, etc. - just as important as seeing the sights.

We went to Starbucks for coffee before we tried the local cafe as we really prefer drip coffe, also called filter coffee in Europe. But while the Starbucks in Barcelona had a machine they didn't use it so we had to get espresso based drinks anyways. Found this was the case last year too at a different Starbucks. So one might as well go to a local cafe. A lot of the local Tapas places serve breakfast in the mornings too and are not too expensive. Most places (even Starbucks) do not open before 7:30AM.

"We ended up buying some little baguette egg sandwiches which were out of this world. We discovered that the baguettes these places sell, and make sandwiches out of, are absolutely fantastic"

That is what the place right accross from the Jazz had, they were great.

Kirk

From the Jazz just walk down a couple blocks to La Boqueria market. Lots of breakfast choices there. Also there is a Dunkin Donuts on the corner of Las Ramblas and the entrance of La Boqueria.

Thought I'd add that there were a lot of bakeries and cafes, with items like the one I discussed above, in La Boqueria. I'd definitely head there if we were in a hotel that was a little closer. Would have been about 6 or 7 blocks from our hotel - not too far to visit but too far to grab a quick breakfast unless our destination was that way.

"We ended up buying some little baguette egg sandwiches which were out of this world. We discovered that the baguettes these places sell, and make sandwiches out of, are absolutely fantastic"

That is what the place right accross from the Jazz had, they were great.

Kirk

Do you remember the name of it?

Archived