LIVE from the Sapphire Princess - Sydney to Los Angeles

Pia1913

So, there’s something I’ve forgotten to mention. Sunset; past two nights has been about 8:45. We who come from the opposite side of the world are used to it being dark by 6 ish at this time of year.

Good Morning. It’s Wednesday and we’re about to dock in Port Chalmers. Skies are clear; temp is somewhere in the 40’s. The city of Dunedin is about ½ hour away and we’ll be taking the Princess shuttle into town. ($5/PP each way). We have plans to visit the Cadbury factory and see whatever there is to see in the surrounding city area. I heard there’s a Kmart here. Ooooooohhhhhhh. :D

On board today is the movie Letters to Juliet, which will be shown at 2:00 and 10:00 PM. At 4:00 is “Cultural Presentation”: From ritual encounter to games and entertainment a Southern tribal Perspective”, with Boutakeri Maori Cultural presenters. In the theater tonight is vocalist Gregg Arthur and in Explorer’s comic Mike Harris. My trivia team partners told us not to bother going to see this guy last night. Should have listened to them.

See y’all later when there’s something new to tell you.

Meredith: No. The forensics guy is Ronald Bowers

What a difference a week makes. Last week in Dunedin it was cold and rainy; today though not really warm, delightfully sunny. Up to a point, that is.

We took a shuttle into Dunedin shortly before 9:00 AM; took 20 minutes. We immediately walked to the Cadbury factory since we wanted to beat the bus tours. We did. What a fun tour. Each group of about 12 gets their own guide who leads you through, explains various things and throws out questions. Each person gets a small plastic bag at the beginning and every time you get a correct answer another piece of chocolate (all different kinds) is thrown into the bag. We had quite a stash when finished. Takes about 1 ½ hours and you have to use a head covering (they give it to you) and men with facial hair have to cover that too with what looks like a string bikini. :rolleyes: We also added to our stash by purchasing a few additional Cadbury bars in their store.

Afterwards, we walked over to the famous railroad station; a magnificently ornate piece of architecture which looks like Edwardian gingerbread and is built from native stone.

We meandered a while until we found Starbucks for “lunch”, which consisted of coffee and Cadbury’s. ;) Afterwards we found the big mall with Kmart and also a place to have my nails done. At a bit past 2:00, the sun disappeared and the winds started to increase. This told us it was time to grab the shuttle back to the ship. Sitting here now having pizza and a glass of wine. Tough life. :D

What a difference a week makes. Last week in Dunedin it was cold and rainy; today though not really warm, delightfully sunny. Up to a point, that is.

We took a shuttle into Dunedin shortly before 9:00 AM; took 20 minutes. We immediately walked to the Cadbury factory since we wanted to beat the bus tours. We did. What a fun tour. Each group of about 12 gets their own guide who leads you through, explains various things and throws out questions. Each person gets a small plastic bag at the beginning and every time you get a correct answer another piece of chocolate (all different kinds) is thrown into the bag. We had quite a stash when finished. Takes about 1 ½ hours and you have to use a head covering (they give it to you) and men with facial hair have to cover that too with what looks like a string bikini. :rolleyes: We also added to our stash by purchasing a few additional Cadbury bars in their store.

Afterwards, we walked over to the famous railroad station; a magnificently ornate piece of architecture which looks like Edwardian gingerbread and is built from native stone.

We meandered a while until we found Starbucks for “lunch”, which consisted of coffee and Cadbury’s. ;) Afterwards we found the big mall with Kmart and also a place to have my nails done. At a bit past 2:00, the sun disappeared and the winds started to increase. This told us it was time to grab the shuttle back to the ship. Sitting here now having pizza and a glass of wine. Tough life. :D

Pia;

Glad you had such a great day in New Zealand. I absolutely loved the Railroad building when I saw it. Great architecture.....:)

3233666480_f15ba38b09_m.jpg

Bob

Hi Pia,

Thanks for the email! Is the Cadbury Factory right next to the train station? I read somewhere that they were in the process of moving. We are taking the train (independently) when we are in Dunedin and thought it might be fun to go to Cadbury's afterwards. Can you just walk in and when they have enough for a tour off you go?:cool:

thought it might be fun to go to Cadbury's afterwards. Can you just walk in and when they have enough for a tour off you go?:cool:

They sell tickets for tour times. If the next tour(s) is sold out, you may have to wait a little while.

Good Morning from Akaroa, the port stop for Christchurch. The sun is shining and the temps will be in mid 60’s. Unlike Lyttelton on the first cruise, this is a tender port. Also unlike Lyttelton, Akaroa is 1 ½ hours away from Christchurch, rather than 25 minutes. Therefore, we paid a small amount on the city bus to get into town whereas the passengers on this cruise will pay a minimum of $50/PP for transport into town. Since we were there only 10 days ago, we will tender to port and just look around. Princess offers no shore excursions here, leading us to believe there is not much to see. There is a two hour harbor cruise aboard a catamaran to perhaps see some wildlife. Wildlife of course is not guaranteed.

On board this afternoon is the movie Oceans, but the highlight of the afternoon will be the first game of the World Series which will be shown at 12:30 in Explorer’s and also on our stateroom TV. LIVE here would make it 7:30 PM Wednesday 10/27. Is that correct?

Tonight in the theater is the production show Shake, Rattle and Roll and in Explorer’s, Danny McMaster the impressionist from last week. I guess they held him over, or, he got off and came back on. Of course the Vintage People are still doing their stuff, but now they’ve been moved to the Wheelhouse. Way too loud this this setting, so I assume it’s only temporary. Last night we watched an old movie with Melanie Griffith (Working Girl) in our cabin and tonight we’ll be watching another movie; The Boys are Back.

Meredith: train station is only 2 blocks from Cadbury and they run a tour every 15 minutes.

Good Morning from Akaroa, the port stop for Christchurch. The sun is shining and the temps will be in mid 60’s. Unlike Lyttelton on the first cruise, this is a tender port. Also unlike Lyttelton, Akaroa is 1 ½ hours away from Christchurch, rather than 25 minutes. Therefore, we paid a small amount on the city bus to get into town whereas the passengers on this cruise will pay a minimum of $50/PP for transport into town. Since we were there only 10 days ago, we will tender to port and just look around. Princess offers no shore excursions here, leading us to believe there is not much to see. There is a two hour harbor cruise aboard a catamaran to perhaps see some wildlife. Wildlife of course is not guaranteed.

On board this afternoon is the movie Oceans, but the highlight of the afternoon will be the first game of the World Series which will be shown at 12:30 in Explorer’s and also on our stateroom TV. LIVE here would make it 7:30 PM Wednesday 10/27. Is that correct?

Tonight in the theater is the production show Shake, Rattle and Roll and in Explorer’s, Danny McMaster the impressionist from last week. I guess they held him over, or, he got off and came back on. Of course the Vintage People are still doing their stuff, but now they’ve been moved to the Wheelhouse. Way too loud this this setting, so I assume it’s only temporary. Last night we watched an old movie with Melanie Griffith (Working Girl) in our cabin and tonight we’ll be watching another movie; The Boys are Back.

Meredith: train station is only 2 blocks from Cadbury and they run a tour every 15 minutes.

7:57 ET for the series start. :)

On board this afternoon is the movie Oceans, but the highlight of the afternoon will be the first game of the World Series which will be shown at 12:30. LIVE here would make it 7:30 PM Wednesday 10/27. Is that correct?

7:30 PM EDT

Game is in California where it will be 4:30 PDT.

Hi Pia,

Absolutely loving your posts - DH and I are going to New Zealand on the Diamond next January so I'm really enjoying your news and updates on NZ and your whole trip!!

Can you tell me what type of cabin you are in on this cruise, and are you happy with it??

Keep your posts coming and enjoy your cruise "back home" and hopefully you both stay well for the rest of your trip.

Thanks again.

Vicki.

OK. We went into Akaroa. Took the 10 AM tender; ½ hour into town. Town consists of 4 stores and a few cafes. Saw a sign that there was a school, library and hospital. That’s it. Took the 11:15 AM tender back; took only 15 minutes to return. Best part of trip was riding up top the tender, no wind, lots of sun and seeing 3 dolphins.

Sitting in Fusion now waiting for afternoon trivia and wondering whether or not my teammates are on board.

Vicki: We have a balcony cabin on Baja near forward elevator. Love my location and happy with my cabin for 9 weeks. Good to get settled in and not have to move.

Nothing else to say. See you all tomorrow.

OK. We went into Akaroa. Took the 10 AM tender; ½ hour into town. Town consists of 4 stores and a few cafes. Saw a sign that there was a school, library and hospital. That’s it. Took the 11:15 AM tender back; took only 15 minutes to return. Best part of trip was riding up top the tender, no wind, lots of sun and seeing 3 dolphins.

Sitting in Fusion now waiting for afternoon trivia and wondering whether or not my teammates are on board.

Vicki: We have a balcony cabin on Baja near forward elevator. Love my location and happy with my cabin for 9 weeks. Good to get settled in and not have to move.

Nothing else to say. See you all tomorrow.

Thanks for taking us on your trip; we will be in B227 in about 40 plus days.

One comment, sometimes we move the balcony chairs into the room at night to share our wine. When ready to retire, the chairs are moved back to the balcony.

Chuck

Friday, October 29th and here we are back in Wellington. Twelve days ago it was cold and windy and raining. And then it was storming. This morning the weather is bright and sunny and around 50. However, Richard announced on the Wake Show that there’s a chance of rain, so our umbrella will accompany us into town.

Yesterday we able to use the few treadmills in the aerobics area, since the gym itself was closed. It seems a water pipe had burst and flooded the whole place. Today we can’t even use the aerobics room. The whole area is completely shut down for maintenance and an announcement said it might be for a few days.

Except for the movie Clash of the Titans, trivia and pictionary, there is nothing to do on board today for those choosing not to disembark in Wellington. Oh yes, game two of the World Series will be shown. Tonight there is a total repeat of last night’s entertainment; I.e. Shake Rattle and Roll and Danny McMaster. And thankfully the Vintage People went back to Explorer’s and got out of the Wheelhouse.

We’ll be walking into town again to see whatever we missed the last time when we spent all our hours in that wonderful Te Papa museum.

See you later.

Friday, October 29th and here we are back in Wellington. Twelve days ago it was cold and windy and raining. And then it was storming. This morning the weather is bright and sunny and around 50. However, Richard announced on the Wake Show that there’s a chance of rain, so our umbrella will accompany us into town.

Yesterday we able to use the few treadmills in the aerobics area, since the gym itself was closed. It seems a water pipe had burst and flooded the whole place. Today we can’t even use the aerobics room. The whole area is completely shut down for maintenance and an announcement said it might be for a few days.

Except for the movie Clash of the Titans, trivia and pictionary, there is nothing to do on board today for those choosing not to disembark in Wellington. Oh yes, game two of the World Series will be shown. Tonight there is a total repeat of last night’s entertainment; I.e. Shake Rattle and Roll and Danny McMaster. And thankfully the Vintage People went back to Explorer’s and got out of the Wheelhouse.

We’ll be walking into town again to see whatever we missed the last time when we spent all our hours in that wonderful Te Papa museum.

See you later.

Stay dry! :D

Archived