First time cruiser - Royal Caribbean or Norwegian?

rycruise

Hello there! This will be my first cruise trip, so I decide to begin with a 5-7 day cruise instead of a longer one. I have a (almost) 2-year old daughter so I decide to take either Norwegian or Royal Caribbean because they (seem to) have better infant (<2yr) care/ programs.

Here are some choices for me:

1) Norwegian Sky - 4 nights (East Caribbean)

2) Norwegian Pearl - 7 nights (East Caribbean)

3) Royal Caribbean Majesty - 4 nights (East Caribbean)

I ‘d like to ask your opinions about the food, service, activities, infant care, etc on these ships. I read some reviews - many people complained about NCL’s food and service, and some people complained about Royal Caribbean’s food and service as well.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice!

I don't think RCI has alot for the under 3 crowd (except for the in-cabin babysitting, when available) on the smaller ships. Oasis does have infant care, but I don't believe that has been implemented on the other ships, yet.

Food and service....it will depend on who you ask! You won't go hungry on either line!

I would think most responders would choose a 7 night over a 4 night cruise. The Royal Caribbean experience would be more formal for the evening dinner where as NCL a little more lay back policy. I have been on both lines and the service and food were just about equal.

A 4 night cruise will attract a more party crowd, I would do NCL.

wow some choice. I would do neither. I dont care for NCL that much, and of all the ships, Majesty would be my least favorite RCL ship. Do be aware on RCL that insides are teensy tiny 119 s.f. no safes I believe (SOV didnt have one) and no room really to unpack. Only very thin drawers in the insides.

if you are booking a OV are higher then I would do Majesty, but not in a inside.

Unfortunately, you are going to get a real mix of advice. You will always have some folks who love a cruise line and others who hated it. It all depends on what you are looking for in a cruise. Here is my take...

NCL - One of our favorite cruise lines that caters to almost all crowds. It boasts itself as having "Freestyle Dining". There are lots of options, but most of them cost you an additional cover charge. We always found the food as good to very good. Over the years, as cruise prices have dropped, the food has worsen... or better yet become average. I always say, you get what you pay for and that's true on a cruise ship. If you are on a cut price cruise, then you may notice some things like service and food go down hill a bit.

RCCL - Also one of our favorites. I would rank them a little better than NCL. They have some of the newest ships afloat and really seem vested in their cruise passengers. We have found both the food and service to be a notch higher than NCL. My son, who was 5 when we first went, loved the kids program. We actually have had the same kids program director on two different cruises in two different countries. Can you believe it... they remembered us. That said something to me.

Take the input you get and make the best decision you can. No matter what you do, you will have a great time. :)

Smart-Travelers

http://www.*****

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on all three, and I would choose either of the NCL trips...

Nothing against RCCI...in fact, we have travelled with them more than any other cruise line....I'm just not as crazy about their short trips....

NCL has the no schedule thing going on, which we love....have a great time picking which premium restaurants to go to...they have a great cigar lounge, and two nice piano bars that we really liked on the Pearl....

Archived