Plane Arriving too Late??

Clemons1

We are sailing on glory out of Charleston SC on 11/1/10. The ship leaves at 10pm, and we were under the impression that we had until then to board Therefore we picked the best flight for us which arrives in SC at 7pm. However boarding the ship actually ends at 8:30 :(

So advice please. The flight costs have jumped so switching would be expensive.

Is there hope that this will work out as our reservations are? Does Carnival always close boarding right on the dot or can they wait if we have already completed the funpass (and they know what our arrival time is)?

We leave in 6 days and I did not predict this sooner.

You certainly will be close...

If there's any delay at all call Carnival immediately upon getting on the ground at 877-885-4865 to tell them about your problem.

Obviously, the best course of action would be to take an earlier flight...

:)

We are sailing on glory out of Charleston SC on 11/1/10. The ship leaves at 10pm, and we were under the impression that we had until then to board Therefore we picked the best flight for us which arrives in SC at 7pm. However boarding the ship actually ends at 8:30 :(

Is there hope that this will work out as our reservations are? Does Carnival always close boarding right on the dot or can they wait if we have already completed the funpass (and they know what our arrival time is)?

They have to have the manifest completed within a certain time period (Home Land Security issue not Carnival) I would absolutely change my flight - no matter the cost - this is cutting it too close and any delay could really jeopardize your boarding.

Last time we flew to San Juan we sat in the plane at the gate in Dallas for 2 hours because they could not close the luggage door......then when we arrived we found out our luggage went on another plane.....waited there another hour.......

On our last cruise on a non stop flight to Miami we couldn't board our plane because the bathroom in first class was not working.......2 hours later they brought a different plane for us......

Needless to say we ALWAYS fly in a day early:D

Good luck!

If it's really too expensive to change flights, is there anyway that you can travel with just carry-on luggage. With no delays on arrival you would be able to make an 8:30 boarding unless the roads are bad.

Or have you considered booking a Carnival transfer and see what they say the "last" shuttle is?

The good thing is that Charleston is a small airport and as a result things move quickly. It is also not too far from the airport to the port, but I would suggest a car service since cabs may be spotty and you might have to wait for one.

If you are on time you can make it with 30 minutes to spare.

Compare the cost of changing the reservation to the cost of flying to the next port...

Also, is the flight connecting somewhere? Each segment adds a potential for a delay. If connecting, I would not even THINK of making a flight landing 3 hours before departure!

Even if not connecting, this is too close for my comfort, but that's just me.

There have been times weather relating, like a snow storm where the ship has waited for larger groups to arrive. If you are not checked in before they have to turn in the manifest, you will be denied boarding. You would cause the whole ship to leave late. They cannot leave until like 60 minutes after the last pax manifest has been submitted or some such.

I take it this is your first cruise, to book such a close flight.

I agree with the others - it's expensive, but try to change the flight.

Also, do you have trip insurance and will you be using passports to board or birth certificates? Should you be delayed and miss the ship, you would need passports to fly to the first non-U.S. port to board. Travel insurance would pick up the expense (although check with them since your flight time may be to close for them to cover.) Some companies require 6 or 8 or even 24 hours delay before coverage kicks in.

Or have you considered booking a Carnival transfer and see what they say the "last" shuttle is?

That's an idea. They can see when the last shuttle leaves the airport and know right then whether carnival thinks this time is too late.

On our Roll Call, the OP said that her flight leaves from KY and lands in CLT at 4:47 and take off again at 6:05 to head to CHS.

Nevermind!

Remember, they may still be boarding up until 10:00. It just depends on whether they get all passengers on at an earlier time. Did you read the Norfolk Snafu thread? They boarded until way past their embarkation time because there were still many passengers that had been waiting to check-in. ;)

Well good they aren't taking any more transfer requests this close to the trip.

Even though they aren't taking anymore did you find out when they run the last one? This will still give you an idea if you can possibly make it. Are you transfering in Atlanta to fly to Charleston?

We had terrible....unexpected weather today here in Indy. And I told my mom thank goodness we weren't leave today for our cruise. My dad works at the airport and he said lights were delayed for over an hour at our airport.

I would change it, you never know what could happen!

Please don't take this the wrong way but

a. why were you under the impression that you could board until 10pm? who told you that?

b. why did you not have all this researched/planned out ahead of time(not worrying about it 6 days out) so you wouldn't be in this predicament?

Like I said, just wondering, not jabbing at you.

I can answer some of your questions for the OP.

I mentioned before that her plane connects in CLT (not ATL.)

OP booked this cruise last minute, booked flights, etc. This is a first cruise. Not until she printed her Fun Pass info did she see the boarding times between 5:00 - 8:30.

The ship comes down from Norfolk and does not get into Charleston until 3:00 or 4:00, with boarding beginning at 5:00. ;)

I hope they come back on and tell us what happens.......did they change their flights?????? Did they make it to the ship on time??????? Were there any delays with the flights??????

It's like a cliffhanger..........let us know.........:D

Archived