Need peso's if your going to Mexico.

wl2cruise

Look for this practice to become more of the norm as the dollar continues to erode not only nation wide, but worldwide. Sad but true.

It probably won't become so much of the norm in these Mexican tourist towns if 8000 cruise passengers disembark on any particular day and, instead of going though the currancy conversion hassle, they just don't spend any money in port.;)

I was just in Costa Maya and in Cozumel the end of last month and had no problems using my American money. I will be back in Cozumel this weekend and have no intentions of converting any money. If they dont want to take my USD then I dont want to buy their stuff.

I was just in Costa Maya and in Cozumel the end of last month and had no problems using my American money. I will be back in Cozumel this weekend and have no intentions of converting any money. If they dont want to take my USD then I dont want to buy their stuff.[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth?!

If they dont want to take my USD then I dont want to buy their stuff.

WOW. A bit harsh don't you think? After all, we are guests in their country. Guess what - I've been to Canada and several European countries. They don't take my USD there either. It's remarks like that that give us that brushstroke of the "ugly American." Last time I checked, we don't take "their" pesos, Euros, pounds, or Canadian dollars....even in tourist areas. :rolleyes:

If your transaction is small, they are still taking USD. Just not over $100 USD. It's their right. It's your right not to go there or to spend money but don't act high and mighty about it. Geez...

WOW. A bit harsh don't you think? After all, we are guests in their country. Guess what - I've been to Canada and several European countries. They don't take my USD there either. It's remarks like that that give us that brushstroke of the "ugly American." Last time I checked, we don't take "their" pesos, Euros, pounds, or Canadian dollars....even in tourist areas. :rolleyes:

If your transaction is small, they are still taking USD. Just not over $100 USD. It's their right. It's your right not to go there or to spend money but don't act high and mighty about it. Geez...

Thank you for putting that in a much nicer way than I wouldve. Although they are looking for a balance with the cruise industry and American $$, this new law has a purpose and it's to help get a handle on the drug cartels which pose a serious risk to tourists, it's own citizens and people like me. I fully support the decision if it means that I never have to watch a helicopter land in my neighborhood and hear gunshots again. I'm sorry if that's too inconvenient for you.

I have traveled all over the world, my uncle is a pilot for United and I've been super blessed to have visted numerous countries in Europe, Canada, Hong Kong and Singapore to name a few. I always convert my money when I travel to these places. But when I am traveling by cruise ship and will be in numerous different countries I am not going to bring 2-3 different currencies with me. Additionally, these are port areas where 90% of their economy is based on tourists comming in on cruise ships. I am NOT talking about trying to use my USD in Mexico City, or other non-port locales but you know what... in Cozumel and Costa Maya, yeah Im gonna expect to use my USD$. Sorry if you think thats me being all "high and mighty.

Then I think you might be missing the bigger picture. Mexico is trying desperately to solve a terrible drug cartel problem. Part of the problem is the influx of USD - it's impossible to track. By enacting this law, they are TRYING. They can't exempt cruise ship ports or tourist areas - the cartels will simply use those areas to launder their money. Unless you plan on doing cash transactions over $100 USD, you have nothing to worry about. And if you do, use a credit card. I think your words and tone speak for themselves.

How can you hear my "tone" you dont know me. I sound like a 5 year old little girl when I talk. I never ever sound high and mighty, more like mighty mouse.

You dont know me, and I have every right to my oppinion but dont attack my character. I'm like the freaking friendliest, nicest person and Im getting married in two days so be nice.

Tone is really hard to tell on a board - so I try to reread what I write before sending. I absolutely wish you a breautiful wedding and many years of happiness. I PROMISE I'm not being sarcastic. I don't think I'm the only one that would be taken aback by your sentence of

If they dont want to take my USD then I dont want to buy their stuff.
. There are reasons for this law that have nothing to do with our convenience of traveling to their cruise ports. I gotta run to an appt but I'm not upset with you at all - I think the remark was unduly harsh and while you may not have meant it to come across that way, it did. Absolutely you are entitled to an opinion and any one here is also entitled to take exception to it. DOesn't make either one of us a "bad" person. :)

I'm like the freaking friendliest, nicest person and Im getting married in two days so be nice.

You may be the nicest, friendliest person in the world, and I absolutely don't doubt that, but those people with guns (not the military or police) aren't. They kill people, innocent people, without any reason other than they are perceived as a threat to their routes.

I dont understand the underlying issue here... I thought they just wanted to not take our USD for economic reasons.

Anyways it really doesnt matter because Im 100% certain that I will not be making any purchases of $100 USD. I only like buying those ceramic mexican cats and they are normally just $25 or so. That and tequilla I like buying tequilla but also not over $100.

It's just another Cruise Critic storm in a teacup. You can use USD's anywhere for individual purchases under $100US, as many as you like. Personally, I have never bought from street vendors anything that cost over $100. Purchases such a jewelry that have cost over $100 have been made from stores that accept credit cards. If you have a meal that costs over $100 and you want to pay cash, get separate checks. It's a no brainer, no problem.

I have to go now, the sky's falling in.:rolleyes:

I dont understand the underlying issue here... I thought they just wanted to not take our USD for economic reasons.

Anyways it really doesnt matter because Im 100% certain that I will not be making any purchases of $100 USD. I only like buying those ceramic mexican cats and they are normally just $25 or so. That and tequilla I like buying tequilla but also not over $100.

Drug cartels have lots of us$$ that they were just depositing into banks and it was all unaccounted for. Stop the ability to cash in us$$ and it makes it hard for them to do business in the us. If they can't spend it or deposit it, the money flow stops. At least that's the hope. Since the demand for drugs will not change (without legalization in the us) you have to stop the money flow elsewhere.

I always wonder why someone posts something in the subject line as if its true and for all of Mexico. I was in mexico earlier this month and I can tell you this wasnt true in Cozumel, which is part of mexico. Im betting most ports still accept U.S. dollars.

TAP TAP TAP (is this thing on?)

There was a thread posted not 1.5 hours prior to your regarding this same issue.

Sheesh. Can you folks not READ THE BOARD A BIT before you just post something?????? Maybe do a SEARCH? Seriously.

Now, I don't proclaim to be a forum genius, but I think even the newest of the newbies can figure that one out.

Drug cartels have lots of us$$ that they were just depositing into banks and it was all unaccounted for. Stop the ability to cash in us$$ and it makes it hard for them to do business in the us. If they can't spend it or deposit it, the money flow stops. At least that's the hope. Since the demand for drugs will not change (without legalization in the us) you have to stop the money flow elsewhere.

Thanks for explaining.

It sounds good in theory but I have a feeling that if they want to get US$ they will find other ways.

Thanks for explaining.

It sounds good in theory but I have a feeling that if they want to get US$ they will find other ways.

The idea is not to stop them from getting US dollars. It is to stop them from spending US dollars in Mexico.

They sell the drug in the US. They are paid in US dollars. They then smuggle the money into Mexico, where they spend it. The reason for the new law is to prevent them from spending the money, not to prevent them from getting the money.

I always wonder why someone posts something in the subject line as if its true and for all of Mexico. I was in mexico earlier this month and I can tell you this wasnt true in Cozumel, which is part of mexico. Im betting most ports still accept U.S. dollars.

Its true, A new law in Mexico any purchase over 100US dollars must be made in Peso's.

Archived