British Airways PHL->LHR->BCN different fare classes worth it?

erdoran

I'm cruising out of BCN October, 2011 and planning to use American Airlines frequent flyer miles to get there. Because I'm doing a transatlantic, I only need one way to BCN. Seems like my best option is using AA miles and flying with British Airlines. My other FF programs, US Air and Delta, both charge the same # of miles for one way as for round trip. So, here are my options:

20k miles coach

50k miles business

62k miles first

Between LHR and BCN I can only go business or coach, there is no first.

I've done my homework and it looks like there is a pretty big difference coach to business, then not a huge difference business to first. the 20k miles coach is very tempting, though...but OTOH if I pass up first I wonder am I missing out on a really great experience? If I were paying for the ticket, first is double the cost of business.

Anyone have any experience with the various BA fare classes? The PHL-LHR flight is a 777. Is coach the standard coach experience, or nicer? Is there a big difference between business and first that's really worth the extra $$/miles? I'm leaning towards business but could be nudged in either direction.

thanks for your thoughts!

(or I can wait and use cruise air for $1k total, PHL->BCN and then MIA->PHL, which is actually cheaper than I can buy it for!!)

It would depend where, and if there are lay-flat seats. Most likely First going to LHR. Maybe Business. Not on the LHR-BCN segment.

We just did Business SFO-FRA-FCO (on United/ Lufthansa), with no First, Business only FRA-FCO (an 80 min flight). Lay flat seats SFO-FRA in Business. So, my vote would be Business, if there was lay flat in both Business and First.

You might want to double check. On some airlines a reward ticket in Business class may not get you Business on a local or regional flight. For example, we were looking at a reward ticket SFO-IAD-FCO. The miles would get us Business from IAD-FCO, but Economy SFO-IAD, as there isn't Business, and they weren't going to give us First. But if we purchased Business, we would have got First SFO-IAD.

Business will be very sufficient for PHL/LHR/BCN.

Grab the tickets while you can. East Coast (any airport) is a VERY popular route for business class tickets and those with status will get the tickets before anyone else, particularly now that you can use AA miles to fly BA.

While First on BA is very, very nice, I think you will be perfectly satisfied with BA business both international and domestic.

While I am a very loyal AA flier, BA business IS nicer. But don't forget, you can use your miles on the nonstop from JFK to BCN on AA if seats are available. Short hop from Philly to JFK which should be available (even if you get a "weird" routing).

If you have the miles, you may want to splurge on first for the long haul segment. It is only a few miles more. But if there is no availability, business will be more than sufficient. I have never flown BA first on a short haul segment, but long haul out of PHX to LHR is truly luxurious.

If you're cruising in October 2011 you won't be able to book seats using AA miles for around another month at the earliest (AA uses 330 days for its booking window.)

I'd definitely opt for business class if you have the miles. Once you ride in business class on long flights, you tend to become spoiled.

As for routes and carriers, it depends on your tolerance. Using BA from PHL to LHR and on to BCN requires (as of this year, probably next year too but nothing is certain yet) a change of terminals in London, with something like a 3-hour layover. Changing terminals is not complicated, but it's a nuisance first thing in the morning.

AA's nonstop to BCN (one at present, another being added but not sure if they'll have 2 daily flights in the off-season, e.g. next October) flies from JFK, but AA doesn't have any PHL-JFK flights, only PHL - La Guardia, requiring a cross-NYC plane change. Sux.

Recently Iberia announced nonstop service from Miami to Barcelona, using one of their newer A340 aircraft. AA flies from PHL to MIA, so your mileage ticket could be written PHL-MIA-BCN. At present AA's schedule would lead to a 2+ hour layover in Miami, so shorter (and frankly easier) than the comparable LHR layover.

Iberia's business class product is very good - comfortable flat bed seats (recently converted from angled-flat) and excellent food and drink. Some people find the Spanish flight attendants "cold" but I think it's just cultural differences, not bad attitude. I've always had excellent service from Iberia in business class. Note that if you redeem AA miles for a business class award, any domestic segments (such as PHL-MIA) would be in first class.

Surprisingly (to some) I'd also opt for Iberia if coach was the only alternative. British Airways' seats are quite tight in my experience - poor legroom, while Iberia's seating on the A340s (set up 2-4-2 in coach) has an inch more knee space, and if you get the 2-seat perimeters, easier to get to the aisles. The PHL-MIA-BCN alternative would also prevent you having to ride in BA Euro Traveller (coach) class for the second segment; I suspect you'd arrive much more rested off the nonstop Iberia flight from Miami.

Wow--super advice! I hadn't even considered Iberia. when I booked a fake reservation on Iberia's website it routed me PHL->Chicago->Madrid->BCN. PHL->MIA->BCN is absolutely the way to go, would never have thought of it! I had looked at the AA routing but like you said, I had to change airports in NYC which is a dealbreaker to me. You are right as far as it would be much nicer to fly to MIA during waking hours, then sleep all the way to BCN, rather than get up in the middle of the night and sit in LHR for two or three hours (even if it is in a gorgeous BA lounge).

So now I have a couple of decent options. It looks like I could book BA as soon as next Tuesday based on their website, but it looks like another month until Iberia.

Thanks, and keep those recommendations coming!

It looks like I could book BA as soon as next Tuesday based on their website, but it looks like another month until Iberia.
Pay no attention to the BA website if you're using AA miles. You need to phone AA for any awards involving partners, and you'll be limited to the 330-day opening. Even then, don't be sure you'll get reservations on Iberia right away, especially for the MIA-BCN route, which as I mentioned was just announced and won't even start service until March. You have plenty of time, though - the airlines don't release mileage redemption seats all at once, and seldom on the first day of availability.

Anyone have any experience with the various BA fare classes? The PHL-LHR flight is a 777. Is coach the standard coach experience, or nicer? Is there a big difference between business and first that's really worth the extra $$/miles? I'm leaning towards business but could be nudged in either direction.

I've a decent amount of experience in BA First (and flown their new seats) and Club World. For 12k miles I'd have no hesitations in going F over J. I usually spend an extra 50,000 miles per person to fly F over J between the US and Europe.

On the 777 there's a big difference between F and J, on the 747, not so much if you can get upper deck.

Whether it is worth it is a personal preference...

Surprisingly (to some) I'd also opt for Iberia if coach was the only alternative. British Airways' seats are quite tight in my experience - poor legroom, while Iberia's seating on the A340s (set up 2-4-2 in coach) has an inch more knee space, and if you get the 2-seat perimeters, easier to get to the aisles.

2-4-2 means you are no more than 1 seat from an aisle no matter where you sit. It's just a matter of having a wall beside you rather than another person if you are in the 2 seat groupings, and if you are unfortunate to be in the middle 2 seats of the 4, then you'll have to bother someone other than your travelling companion to get to an aisle.

This is such a great resource....please keep the info coming! And can I please ask another question? One of the other posts mentioned this--I had always thought I will have the best shot at getting the class/routing/flights I want by booking as early as possible, but from reading this topic it sounds like it isn't the case. What's my best strategy for getting exactly what I want, which sounds like it will either be the Iberia non-stop from MIA or the BA routing in business or first? If I call American 330 days out and neither is available but I can get something (e.g. Iberia out of Chicago with a connection in Madrid and having to add PHL-ORD leg) should I grab whatever I can get, or should I keep trying back?

I just booked PHL-PTP (guadeloupe) a few weeks ago using US Airways/Air Canada, going through YUL. I booked the return the first day it was available, and there was a noon flight on AC that had no seats, so I ended up on a 3:45 flight which required an overnight in YUL. AC said that flight had been on sale for a few weeks and there were no FF seats left. Would I have been better off to wait and keep calling to see if something opened up, or did I do the right thing by grabbing something to lock down my trip?

Nobody knows what happens with FF seat inventory. Typically you can book and cancel tickets for no cost if you are using miles on your home airline (e.g. using AA miles to fly AA) but with partner airlines sometimes the awards are non-refundable.

Assuming it is refundable once you see something in the class of travel you like, even if not ideal routing then book it. Monitor availability on a regular basis and switch over when you see something better. Be prepared to be flexible though...

Some airlines will charge a re-deposit fee for ticket changes (they consider it a cancellation and a rebooking) for non-elites. If the cost of the change fee is worth the new routing...well, only you can decide that.

As for when FF inventory becomes available....in conversations with FF execs at DL, they have advised that they do not dump the entire FF inventory into the GDS at 331 days out. It has become an ongoing dynamic process - which is all the more reason to subscribe to a system that will alert you when FF inventory opens up. In fact, some of the best inventory availability is at short notice - FF seats are a part of the whole "revenue management" scheme.

Some airlines will charge a re-deposit fee for ticket changes (they consider it a cancellation and a rebooking) for non-elites. If the cost of the change fee is worth the new routing...well, only you can decide that.

As for when FF inventory becomes available....in conversations with FF execs at DL, they have advised that they do not dump the entire FF inventory into the GDS at 331 days out. It has become an ongoing dynamic process - which is all the more reason to subscribe to a system that will alert you when FF inventory opens up. In fact, some of the best inventory availability is at short notice - FF seats are a part of the whole "revenue management" scheme.

I'm clueless--is something like that available to the general public? tell me more please!

• 4 weeks later...
If you're cruising in October 2011 you won't be able to book seats using AA miles for around another month at the earliest (AA uses 330 days for its booking window.)

I'd definitely opt for business class if you have the miles. Once you ride in business class on long flights, you tend to become spoiled.

As for routes and carriers, it depends on your tolerance. Using BA from PHL to LHR and on to BCN requires (as of this year, probably next year too but nothing is certain yet) a change of terminals in London, with something like a 3-hour layover. Changing terminals is not complicated, but it's a nuisance first thing in the morning.

AA's nonstop to BCN (one at present, another being added but not sure if they'll have 2 daily flights in the off-season, e.g. next October) flies from JFK, but AA doesn't have any PHL-JFK flights, only PHL - La Guardia, requiring a cross-NYC plane change. Sux.

Recently Iberia announced nonstop service from Miami to Barcelona, using one of their newer A340 aircraft. AA flies from PHL to MIA, so your mileage ticket could be written PHL-MIA-BCN. At present AA's schedule would lead to a 2+ hour layover in Miami, so shorter (and frankly easier) than the comparable LHR layover.

Iberia's business class product is very good - comfortable flat bed seats (recently converted from angled-flat) and excellent food and drink. Some people find the Spanish flight attendants "cold" but I think it's just cultural differences, not bad attitude. I've always had excellent service from Iberia in business class. Note that if you redeem AA miles for a business class award, any domestic segments (such as PHL-MIA) would be in first class.

Surprisingly (to some) I'd also opt for Iberia if coach was the only alternative. British Airways' seats are quite tight in my experience - poor legroom, while Iberia's seating on the A340s (set up 2-4-2 in coach) has an inch more knee space, and if you get the 2-seat perimeters, easier to get to the aisles. The PHL-MIA-BCN alternative would also prevent you having to ride in BA Euro Traveller (coach) class for the second segment; I suspect you'd arrive much more rested off the nonstop Iberia flight from Miami.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this tip! This is the first day I can make a reservation and I have them holding PHL->ORD->MAD->BCN on AA/Iberia. Why this tortuous routing? There was no availability out of MIA on Iberia, and on the date I want to fly, 10/20, they don't have the nonstop. The flight I am on, and the MIA equivalent, both show direct to BCN but there is a MAD stop so I'm stuck regardless :> But it's on hold in case I reconsider and leave a day later to get the MIA nonstop, if it opens up (10/21 not available today and I wanted to get something held meanwhile, plus AA lets me change date and even routing free as long same carrier and trip).

It turned out that AA can't see BA's availability yet for FF tix but in discussing with the reservationist, I learned that BA charges really high taxes & fees--she said that this trip on BA would cost me about $180 in taxes, fees & surcharges vs about $35 on AA/Iberia. And yes, AA does fly me in first and Iberia business (no first) for the entire trip, which is better than BA.

The downsides are the much longer trip time and much earlier departure - noonish departure for Iberia vs late afternoon/early evening for BA, so I have to take that extra day off work, so I'll have to think about that one...but i have till Monday to make up my mind.

Cruise Critic is so GREAT for having this info available. THANKS, GUYS!

Hi, Endoran and Greatam,

I am planning on staying in an apartment pre-cruise but have not yet booked accommodation.

I am on the same cruise with Endoran - NCL Epic on 23 October 2011 to 5 November, from BCN > MIA.

Outbound: LAX

I have only 22,121 Delta-KLM skymiles, which would only get me a business upgrade from MIA to LAX but have to connect in ATL.

I just called Delta and the least expensive is on Sunday 16 LAX > ATL > BCN. Leave LAX: 9 AM, Arrive ATL 4:20PM, Arrive BCN: 8:55 AM.

$1598 (one way)

It is too early for Sat. 5 November but she gave me $221 for 24 Oct for MIA > ATL > LAX, 5:30, leaves MIA, 7:40 arrive ATL, 8:15 leaves ATL. Arrives at LAX at 10 PM.

On airfare.com, LAX, 10:45 AM to PHL at 4:50 PM, Leave PHL at 6:25 PM, arrive BCN at 8:35 AM.

$518 US Air, one way.

Seems like a no-brainer; however, I am confused if I should book before I can get my Inbound.

I need to call the Iberia agent.

Do you, Friends, have any other ideas? Thank you for your help.

I've a decent amount of experience in BA First (and flown their new seats) and Club World. For 12k miles I'd have no hesitations in going F over J.
It turned out that AA can't see BA's availability yet for FF tix but in discussing with the reservationist, I learned that BA charges really high taxes & fees--she said that this trip on BA would cost me about $180 in taxes, fees & surcharges vs about $35 on AA/Iberia. And yes, AA does fly me in first and Iberia business (no first) for the entire trip, which is better than BA.
I'm with fbgd: For 12,000 + $145 more, I would also do BA First on the trans-Atlantic over IB business class (especially on that tortuous routing).

One additional factor is that by October 2011, you would have a pretty good chance of getting BA's New First on your aircraft. This is a product which is getting consistently good comments, at least from those who prefer understated elegance to brash glitz.

I learned that BA charges really high taxes & fees--she said that this trip on BA would cost me about $180 in taxes, fees & surcharges vs about $35 on AA/Iberia. And yes, AA does fly me in first and Iberia business (no first) for the entire trip, which is better than BA.

What class were the BA flights in?

Personally I wouldn't let higher taxes (especially only $150 worth) deter me from flying BA, the overall experience is much better than AA. You'd also be able to fly PHL-LHR-BCN.

If you are flying in a long-haul premium cabin and are not in a rush to get to your destination, there is no down-side to an out-of-the-way routing, IMO.

Going via Miami will give you more time on your flight to enjoy your meal and get a good night's rest, and you will also be served a more filling breakfast before landing.

Flights from the Northeast to Europe can be extremely short, sometimes Bosotn-London can be done in less than six hours with good winter tailwinds, which creates a rushed service and can leave you tired when you arrive.

Living in LA, I never route myself via the Northeast to get to Europe on vacation, always non-stop or via Miami so I can enjoy the flight.

It turns out BA isn't going to work just because of availability. I had to lock down my reservation Monday. I had checked several times for BA, and was able to get PHL->LHR but then they would have put me on Iberia LHR->MAD->BCN, or if I wanted to stay on BA, I would have had a 12-hr layover in LHR. Much as I would have liked to do the BA thing, it wasn't destined to be :<

Likewise the MIA nonstop only had coach availability and I had made up my mind I wanted business or first.

Oh well....thanks again for the great advice!

It turns out BA isn't going to work just because of availability. I had to lock down my reservation Monday. I had checked several times for BA, and was able to get PHL->LHR but then they would have put me on Iberia LHR->MAD->BCN, or if I wanted to stay on BA, I would have had a 12-hr layover in LHR.
That's a real pity. Did you see how much more it would have cost if you had simply taken the long-haul on the award, and then bought a cash ticket for economy for the short flight to BCN? It would be adding to the cost, but you would still have had the F experience for the longer flight.

Archived