Grand Princess...... Is it true?

cruzegirl

Ok, I just was searching and wondering. Is it true that the Grand Princess does not have a Piazza/International Cafe on board? I thought with the renevations that they added that? It's compared to the Star and the Golden Princess, which both have it. I'm just surprised and now disappointed. Wondering if it's true.

We sailed on the second cruise after the Grand came out of wetdock a couple of years ago, and there was very little done that the eye could see except for new carpeting and the sanctuary. It is due to go in again, sorry, can't remember when, but not all that sure what they are going to do to her this next time. But currently, no, she does not have the IC.

Ok, I just was searching and wondering. Is it true that the Grand Princess does not have a Piazza/International Cafe on board? I thought with the renevations that they added that? It's compared to the Star and the Golden Princess, which both have it. I'm just surprised and now disappointed. Wondering if it's true.
Only a few ships have the International Cafe and it takes a very long drydock to retrofit it on the many ships that don't have it. Drydocks are planned a couple of years in advance and there are just a few dry dock facilities capable of, and with the time slot available, to make the changes. Some Princess ships do not have the space to even retrofit.

If you expect the IC to be on a ship, you'll be disappointed as most Princess ships don't have it. Just the newest and a couple that have been retrofitted.

Is it true that the Grand Princess does not have a Piazza/International Cafe on board? I thought with the renevations that they added that? It's compared to the Star and the Golden Princess, which both have it. I'm just surprised and now disappointed. Wondering if it's true.

Yes, it's true. We thought we'd be disappointed before our first cruise on the Grand, but we never missed not having an International Cafe in three cruises.

A drydock/wetdock schedule was posted a few months ago which showed the Grand going into drydock in Freeport April 11 - May 5, 2011. It's quite a long drydock and she may be fitted with an International Cafe. We'll all have to wait until after May 5th to find out what was actually done.

You'll enjoy your cruise on the Grand...even without an International Cafe.

Lew

I thought I'd miss the International Cafe more than I actually did when we sailed on the Sapphire after having been on three cruises on the Crown and Emerald. It's a nice feature but not a deal breaker.

We missed it when we were on Sapphire, despite we were on Diamond long before Crown was even in service. After several sailings on Emerald, Crown and Caribbean (yes, even Caribbean) we were disappointed when we returned to Sapphire.

And that Sapphire is quite a bit newer than Grand so it is not even a same comparison. Grand is OLD.

Folks rave on about the IC, but, honestly, it's really a rather small venue with somewhat limited (though nice) offerings. You won't really miss it.

It is not the foods, it is the nice environment and atmosphere that one can sit and relax, watch the world go by and enjoy the piano playing, or the quartet playing, even the short short shows. On our recent 10 days Emerald, there were ports we did not care for and we spent quite a bit of time in IC or the area facing the IC bar even on port days.

Thanks for info. all...... I was surprised by how the old the Grand is since she's compared with newer ships. Not a deal breaker but surprised none the less.

The IC isn't a deal breaker either but I know it will be missed by our group. We were slightly addicted to the chocolate croisants. lol. That's too bed it's not there. But, ce la vie......

Thanks again.

While aboard the Grand we were advised that the International Cafe would be fitted during her dry dock in April 2011. Also the Wine Bar will be added.

We saw them trying to assist in passenger withdrawal by placing some pastries, not a big selection, at the Atrium Bar where fresh coffee is brewed and dispenced.

Archived