Voyager 2010 Fall Crossing

WesW

After yesterday's cloud and afternoon rain, we have woken up to a glorious sunny morning. All the outside tables in La Veranda were taken at breakfast and we are looking forward to the Indian food feast on the pool deck at lunchtime, especially as we haven't got RachelG in front of us hoovering up the veg curry!:)

I think others have answered all the questions except that I was asked which cognacs were available. There are four, Camus, Martell, Remy Marten and one other, all VSOP. Finer cognacs are available at a cost but those are certainly good enough for me.

As Grey Gypsy said, the Country Fair was good fun, but as it was relocated in the Deck 4 atrium it was crowded and we couldn't get around to join in with the wheelchair. Everyone seemed to enjoy it though.

At the Seven Seas reception last evening we heard that repeat passenger level is 76%, a figure I find remarkable and a tribute to what Regent offers.

Our lecturers are very good. An astronomer who is frustrated by night clouds and cannot show off the stars and a journalist who talks on a wide variety of topics. His name is Harry Chittick and he posts on CC under the moniker of something like 24the road (see the roll call for this cruise)

Off for coffee then the morning talk. I see the boullon in Coffee Connection, but haven't taken any this trip.

As Tom posts above a magnificent sunny crossing day here on the Voyager. Sun is 360 degrees in all direction complemented with a gentle swell that mildly rocks the ship, and temps in the low 70's...saw more walkers/joggers on the track this morning than any other day. Alas, even with the gentle swells the pool will remain empty (unsafe to fill and use for swimming, Captain Mario told me this morning).

Highlights for today include: enrichment lectures; Adventures in space and time--our milky way galaxy; The perfection of deception--Magicians who affected history; Modern Piracy (eg Gulf of Aden). Later in the afternoon there is a tea time fashion show followed by Waffle teatime. Early evening starts at 6:30pm in Horizon Lounge (Pre Dinner Cabaret) debut performance of the the Voyager's very own Anna Love who will perform fav/familiar songs like Fever, All that Jazz, etc. Evening entertainment is the Comedy of Al Lubel in the Constellation Theater (have not seen, but two couples we have had dinner with say this comedian is not very good--they walked out of the performance)

Dinner last night with the General Manager, Ralph De Klijn was outstanding. We were joined by another couple Rob and June from Tennesee. To complement our seafood appetizers, rack of lamb, and steak au Poivre, Ralph had pre selected a delightful New Zealand white/sauvignon blanc (Cloudy BaY) and a terrific Italian red/Super Tuscan by Canstello Banfi. Lively conversation, exceptional service with wonderful fine wines to accompany delcious cuisine made for a very enjoyable dinner.

Today Ida has the Gally & Provision tour with her Le Cordon Bleu group followed by dinner in La Veranda. We will have our second dinner in Prime 7 tomorrow night with Grey Gypsy (Jeff & Susan). Will consider the Flintsone Veal chop but will probably order Dover Sole. We have met such fun/terrific CC folks on this cruise, Ida and I have had only one dinner alone in 9 nights.

Hi Guys

Weather report for Bermuda Fri and Sat - coolish and windy (22 kts)

Friday -

Sunny breaks with occasional morning showers... Winds northwesterly moderate to strong, increasing strong by midday, then easing northerly moderate to strong overnight... Low near 19°C/66°F, high near 21°C/70°F.

Saturday -

Sunny periods... Winds northerly moderate to strong, gradually easing light to moderate by evening, then backing northwesterly light to moderate overnight... Low near 18°C/65°F, high near 21°C/69°F.

Mary

Wow! Indian buffet - Tom do you remember the special Indian meal I ordered for 8 of us on the Mariner in April? You and Barbara didn't join in, but I know you ordered the same meal. I can't remember ever having an Indian buffet lunch on the pool deck! And can't wait for the experience!!

Wes - the pool: In April on the Mariner the pool was full all the time and we did have some moments of motion. Not so much as we were in the Med., but some But I recall on earlier cruises that the pool, even on the Voyager, stayed full until we really "moved about". (As I think I mentioned in regard to the Country Fair, the Exec Chef was tossed into the pool on the Voyager and we were, like you, in mid-Ocean). So is there another issue here? On our most recent TA on the Navigator, the pool was full all the way across. But I also have to say the seas were calm.

Mary, thanks for the Bermuda weather forecast...look forward to seeing land after five days at sea.

Gerry, am also mildly perplexed with the generally empty pool (3/10 days filled only full one sea day) here on the Voyager, altho they did fill it this morning. Have almost 40 days on crossings (both Silversea and Regent) and generally the pool has been full on these crossing seadays. However, believe the Voyager leadership has made the right calls on when to fill the pool---my morning swim today was difficult (like swimming in a washing machine) had to be careful with turns and avoiding mouth fulls of sea water; would be unsafe except for strong swimmers. So far (it is now 9:30am) have not observed anyone else using the pool.

Had a nice dinner with the Ida's Le Cordon Bleu workshop group in La Veranda last night. The Voyager's Food & Beverage Mgr, Florian Kibgilka spent most of the dinner at our table. He shared an interesting regent foodie factoid--each cruise is stocked with about $1million in provisions. Florian said he is able to creatively do a lot with this per cruise provision budget. Ida asked during her LCB galley & provisions tour earlier how much is spent per passenger, the chef leading the tour would not answer. Florian also could not add fidelity to the pp food budget--it is a Regent cruise trade secret.

Crossing highlights for our last seaday (beautiful sunny day in the Atlanic, temps in low 70's) before we reach Bermuda tomorrow: enrichment lectures; The meanest man in baseball, Dr. Eckener's dream machines--the Zeppelins; adventures in space and time: To the edge of the known universe. Officers and guest shuffleboard tournament. We are having a special sandwich lunch on the pool deck today (btw the Indian buffet yesterday, esp the Indian veggie curry was indescribably delicious--needed champagne to quaff the resultant heat). Russian teatime; team trivia, a special Reserve wine tasting ($180 pp to taste wines with head sommelier, Florentina from the Reserve list--accompanied by Caviar, Foie Gras and fine cheeses. Looking forward to tonight's entertainment: Cirque Voyage..."A unique, abstract and avant-garde theatrical experience is set to an original score. Aerial flying through the night sky and cirque-style novelty fill our celestial voyage."

I can answer in general about the pool. No, it's not heated, but I believe they store the water sometimes when they empty it, so it's not always fresh cold water from the ocean. And yes, it's salt.

I'm not a lap swimmer; obviously Wes copes, but it's not particularly big. Short laps as I remember, but you can get a few good strokes in.

I can answer in general about the pool. No, it's not heated, but I believe they store the water sometimes when they empty it, so it's not always fresh cold water from the ocean. And yes, it's salt.

I'm not a lap swimmer; obviously Wes copes, but it's not particularly big. Short laps as I remember, but you can get a few good strokes in.

It's not heated?? I'm pretty sure the one in Navigator is, I have used it while cruising around Spitzbergen and in Alaska and it was nice and warm.

Tom - your comment about the "sunny side" of the ship has got me thinking! We are in 908 for our TA on the Mariner in '12, from FLL to Barcelona. If you right now in 1038 are on the sunny side, we won't be since we are going the other way!

Is this right? If so I shall try to switch!!

I assume you will soon be in Bermuda - enjoy every minute of that beautiful island! And keep the reports coming in...

Alexandra cruiser, the pool is filled daily (xcept when sea conditions prevent) with fresh seawater and heated. FYI, it takes me about 16 lengths (freestyle) before turning. I avoid kids and adults enjoying a leisure soak in the pool by planning my (15-20 min)lap swimming early in the morning (between 7-8:30 am) and then again in the early evening (6-7pm) when the majority of pax are still sleeping or dressing. btw, we had only one child (about 8) on the first five days of our crossing--he got off with his parents in Funchal--he did use the pool and jacuzzi about 3 hours in early afternoon. We are on the port side (left side of the ship) and have enjoyed the sun on our balcony like Tom and Barbara....interesting side note, Captain Mario came on the intercom about 10:30am and said Dolphins on the port side of the ship.

ps...24theroad is in the computer room and asked me to say hello (Harry Chittick) has already given three enrichment lectures--each exceptionally well presented and passionately delivered.

pss..Captain Mario notified us earlier today that instead of arriving at 2pm in Bermuda tomorrow we will now be arriving at 9am...plan to go with Pincus (Marie and Harold) by ferry to the old British Shipyard...Mary pls keep the rain at bay tomorrow morning.

Thanks so much to all the posters on this voyage. I've been watching this thread closely. . .so closely that we've booked the 2012 crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona!

Wes, make sure you and Ida book that crossing while on board. Don and I so want to enjoy a dinner or two with you guys! Cigars will be on Don (although I don't recall the last time he smoked one).

Again, thanks for so much information about this journey and especially all your help and kind support "off-line."

Wes...have enjoyed your seamails from the Voyager--much appreciated. We are taking the FLL to Barcelona in March/2011 and can't wait--plus being on the starboard side will evidently keep us warm while enjoying all that Regent has to offer! Thanks again Wes...well done!

Thank you to all of the posters on the Voyager. This is a wonderful thread to read as each of you has your own perspective. From the sounds of things, everything about the Voyager is in fine form.

Wes, I understand about the concerns filling the pool as last year, on days with motion, I used the waves and bar in the pool instead of working out in the gym. There were some days that all I did was hold on to the bar and, I'd like to believe, that the pool did the rest.

Wishing all of you a wonderful day in Bermuda.

Tom - your comment about the "sunny side" of the ship has got me thinking! We are in 908 for our TA on the Mariner in '12, from FLL to Barcelona. If you right now in 1038 are on the sunny side, we won't be since we are going the other way!

Is this right? If so I shall try to switch!!

I assume you will soon be in Bermuda - enjoy every minute of that beautiful island! And keep the reports coming in...

Just for interest, we have kept a steady 270 degree course over the Atlantic, and reliably the sun has been on the port side. I have to say this has been a notable plus for us.

Wes has detailed the activities on board and we are now looking forward to a stroll along fFront Street in Hamilton as the gangway has just opened. We had a lovely sail in, past some sumptious homes. I guess you, Mary (mw8811) live in one?

We have another booking for Prime7 tonight though our meal in CR last night was Beef Wellington and I cleaned up my plate! Special fish & chip lunch on the pool deck today.

We are here for two days before more sea days en route to FL.

Thank you for the your very gracious comments for our crossing posts. T, Don and you will love your Mariner crossing. Before our dinner at P7, Ida and I enjoyed martini's and the cabaret singer in the Horizon lounge. Fun dancing too. We had another excellent meal in Prime 7 last night with Grey gypsy (Jeff and Susan). Darn Tom, disappointed to hear we missed the beef wellington in Compass Rose last night. We all went to the constellation theater after dinner and watched, "Cirque Voyager" one of the best shows at sea we have seen...bravo Regent.

Today's highlights; enrichment lecture; Hollywood Scandals in Living Color. Tonight in the constellation theater is big screen popcorn movie; Celine Dion's taking chances world tour.

We're off with pincus (harold & marie) at 12:30pm to catch the ferry and then visit one of Bermuda's Navy shipyards. We will grab a quick bite for lunch--as Tom mentioned above--have some fish & chips.

ps..pool is full, warm; enjoying swimming laps in am/pm

Tom and Wes --

Thanks to you we have switched our Ta suite on the Mariner (2012) to 909. We are hoping to have the same nice afternoon sun you had...

How was the walk along Front Street and the trip to the Dockyard? And were there any HUGE cruiseships out there (that's where they seem to dock...)

Sorry its gone so chilly and windy - the winds were 1kt this morning - north shore looks quite choppy now!

Yes of course Orpington T you went straight by our house (hysterial laughter) - the area you sailed by is Point Shares and Fairylands where some of richest folks on the island live (there is also Tuckers Town down the eastern end where the likes of Ross Perot have houses).

I was disappointed to see the way you are tied up as our room (673) seems to be totally obscured from Front Street by the Customs shed you have to walk through when you get off the ship. Oh well only a matter of days before we get on it.

Mary

Col Wes,

It's such a small world! My good friends from Dallas are aboard ~they are actually Seabournites but booked the Voyager TA as it was a few days longer than our Seabourn Sojourn Crossing (I just returned last Wed.) I had a call from Jim yesterday (from Bermuda) saying "Ralph, Hotel MG, came up to them and said, aren't you good friends with Miss Martha? I've sailed with her on Seabourn....."Of course, everyone chuckled and had a good laugh! Jim said, "how is it you living in far West Texas know SO many at sea??" Raplh is truly a most special fellow......A 10* Hotel Manager!

Another small world incident.....my good friend Capt. Pier P. Scala is now with Regent and will Master the Voyager World Cruise......he lives in Sicily with his darling wife and baby Sophia ~one of THE most personable Captains on the Seven Seas! I may just "jump a Seabourn ship and book a segment of the Voyager WC."

If time permits, please meet "the Boy's" from Dallas ~~they are seasoned Sailor's and such fun!

Thank you for all your fantastic postings!

Happy Sails and Trails

Martita B.

After the many days at sea, it was good to get off and stretch our legs on Front Street yesterday. Though Mary commiserated that it was cold and chilly, for us from northern climes it was quite warm. Like others I regretted putting on a woolly. We thoroughly enjoyed meandering along and I got some good advice (and medicine) from a pharmacist as I had deleloped a cough which disturbed my sleep at night. Last night I slept uninterrupted.

I suspect we are going to get off again today and maybe take a scenic tour.

I don't want to feel responsible for your change of suite, Gerry, but to be honest, I think your change is wise. Wish we could see you, Mary, I guess you get on as we get off. Voyager is perfect.

A glorious sunny day here in Hamilton Bermuda..temp about 70...early this morn (about 6:30am) got a rereshing break from the circular runs on the jogging track--got in a wonderful 8 mile "on land" run from our docked location on Front street --turned around at the 45 min point--almost reached some of Bermuda's beautiful beaches. Tho, hard to judge running safely when they drive on the opposite side of the road vs. US drivers.

Gerry, yesterday afternoon, we enjoyed our short ferry ride (20 min) from Hamilton to the Royal Naval Dockyard. We just meandered around inside this nineteenth century fortress walls, filled with lush lawns, palm trees, flower lined lanes and a quaint shopping mall. The dockyard is at Bermuda's western-most point has besides the mall, a maritime museum and a place where you can swim with dolphins, you can also snorkel or scuba dive among the historical Bermuda wrecks.

Hi Maritita, please just give me a little more fidelity on Jim and his partner and I willl actively see the "Dallas Boys" out...on board they no longer print a guest booket listing names and hometowns which would enhance my search. Where in west texas are you from, Ida is from El Paso. Concur, Ralph is a super GM...via strong personal positive leadership--The voyager is in top notch/gleaming condition.

Rachel, we enjoyed the fish & chips esp matched with the wasabi mayonaise.

Today's highlights; enrichment lecture; the wonders of hubble; pre-dinner show: the close-up comedy and magic of harry maurer, and this evening is Liar's club in the horizon lounge. We have Ida's Le Cordon Bleu cocktail party at 6 pm and LCB graduation dinner in Signatures following the cocktail party.

We sail from Bermuda at 3pm today to Ft. Lauderdale..only 936 nauatical miles to go...we expect to dock at Ft. lauderdale at 7 a.m. on Tuesday morning.

Archived