On board shops

LindaKE

I just read a thread about the nightmare of cruising without luggage. I always pack our stuff evenly distributed between each bag in case one bag doesn't make it. One of the posters had no luggage at all for most of the trip. (Their luggage was put on a sister ship.) I think I remember the shops on Carnival and Princess having some clothes you could get by with in a pinch, even formal wear. NCL, on the other hand, had ony a few logo items in their shops. What kind of choices do HAL shops offer? I plan to try to pack lighter next cruise. If I don't have to duplicate items in case of a loss, I could get by with less clothes and plan to use the ship's laundry service.

Thanks!

On the Eurodam last month there was quite a lot of choice in the shops. Not just logo wear, quite a lot of other clothes. I think there were items that would be Ok for a formal evening for ladies anyway. I don't recall exactly what, but there was a section with smarter items in.

At least on formal :Dyou could rent a Tux and ladies could rent the skirt and top they show in the brochure.

I don't remember what other types of clothing are offered other than logo wear. Unless you know how to make a dress out of a shawl:cool:

We just got off the Eurodam this morning.

As chance would have it our DD#1 only packed one of the dresses she had palnned on wearing for the formal nights. They did indeed have several optons of skirts and tops which would have worked for formal nights.

Luckily for DD#1, DD#2 had over packed and she was able to borrow an appropriate dress.

My husband lost his luggage TWICE.(2 different cruise lines - same airports...) Once he had nothing for the entire cruise, another time it caught up with him the last day. Our motto : "Cross pack or cross dress!" We also stopped letting the cruise lines handle our luggage and bring it ourselves. We seem to have better luck. The carry-on has essentials! The garment bag is considered "expendable fluff". He always rents a tux now so he has some clothes no matter once. BUT this has never really effected our enjoyment of the cruise. We just get smarter each trip!

Karen

I plan to try to pack lighter next cruise. If I don't have to duplicate items in case of a loss, I could get by with less clothes and plan to use the ship's laundry service.

IMHO a wise move but then again I've been travelling with carry-on only for a few years now and won't travel any other way. I have a Eurodam sailing in January and plan on travelling light and one of the reasons is to avoid the potential for a situation as you've noted but there are several other speed & convenience factors also at embarkation/disembarkation, customs, etc.

BTW there are several other posters who like me travel light and wash clothes in the cabin sink and I have a few Cool-Max polo golf shirts that are super quick drying and light to wear in warm, humid locales such as the Caribbean. The bonus is they're made of a light material so you can pack more of then than regular cotton shirts.

Travelling light takes a bit more thought about what to take and what to wear but it's worth it to me and would encourage you to rethink how you travel. Some here have responded to my posts on the subject with something bordering on scorn but to each their own I suppose as while they couldn't imagine travelling light I couldn't imagine going back to checked luggage. :)

who sailed on QE2 many years ago. They lost his luggage (no planes involved as he lived in NYC) and it never caught up with him. They opened the men's shop and outfitted him except for underwear. Since he was a large person, they were able to borrow it from the commador and they turned out to be Pucci briefs. That was when Cunard was independent. They also gave him another week gratis and he went home and packed another suitcase. They eventually foound his bags as they kept getting to each port after the ship sailed.

I love to shop and I could not find a single thing to purchase in the shops on Eurodam. Not a jersey, not a purse, nothing........ I saw one jersey a lady was wearing and she said she got it aboard but when we went to the shops, they didn't have any. :( Same for DH. He didn't see anything he wanted.

I didn't see underwear in the HAL ships' shop!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another reason to cross pack!;)

Oh my goodness! You know that never crossed my mind! Cross packing now!

Depends on the ship as to what they would have. Seems that they have something for everyone that likes resort outfit's and if you are a size M.

If I were in a pinch, I would purchase a few things on board, but would hopefully be going to an island that has more selection.

I might just keep an extra pair of undie's in my purse! :eek:

I always cross pack our suitcases. Some of his and some of hers in all bags. Saying I would not be happy if he had all his things and I had none of mine is the understatment of the year. :eek:

We always have change of undies in our carry ons.

I always pack an extra set of undies in the carry-on since they don't take much room at all. But an extra suit for DH, formal for me, sweaters (Alaska), etc. makes up a whole suitcase that we won't need if I'm willing to wash and wear again. The "what if" scenerio has had me wavering. I don't imagine I'd find a lot I'd want to wear in shops either on board or in ports. But I don't want to spend our port days hunting for clothes, so, if the "what if" were to happen, I'd just have to wear what I could find. At least I'd be dressed without wearing the same clothes every day!

Archived