costs of car rentals unbelievable!!!

happy_travellers

I was looking into renting a car in Cherbourg for one day. I am having a hard time finding anything this trip. Three years ago we rented a car and really enjoyed it but I can not remember what I paid.

The only car rental I have found is around 130.00-150.00 dollars for one day which seems way too much. There is no way I would have paid that last time.

Am I to early trying to book for May 30/2011.

If I do not rent a car does anyone have any suggestions for our Cherbourg stop? Thanks, Karen

I found you a Peugeot 107 for 79€ per day, including 250kms from ADA at Cherbourg Rail Station. This is a reliable company. I just did a quick pass here, not sure if I used your correct date, though!

Thank you for your help. Is 120.00 us or 79Euros the norm? That seems so expensive to me. I love the freedom of renting a car to see the D-Day beaches. I just must have forgotten how much it costs.

Karen

I think 79€ with 250kms is pretty good - that's 109$ at today's rate. I guess if we don't do these things very often we just forget! I've just hired a car for a week in UK over Christmas and the price is mind-boggling. Mentioned it to DD and she was completely non-plussed. I've been out of the UK for too long, and have forgotten how much everything costs!

If I were you I'd google in French "location voitures" and see how you go so you can get some comparisons. As I said I came across ADA on my first pass, they are known to be a reasonable priced outfit. Good luck!

I think 79€ with 250kms is pretty good - that's 109$ at today's rate. I guess if we don't do these things very often we just forget! I've just hired a car for a week in UK over Christmas and the price is mind-boggling. Mentioned it to DD and she was completely non-plussed. I've been out of the UK for too long, and have forgotten how much everything costs!

If I were you I'd google in French "location voitures" and see how you go so you can get some comparisons. As I said I came across ADA on my first pass, they are known to be a reasonable priced outfit. Good luck!

I went through National Canada to book a car in France and I got a better rate. I think I paid the equivalent to 75.00 3 years ago and I was able to get a rate just slightly over that for next May.

K

We often rent cars in Europe and the OP is correct that the prices do seem high. We do not normally consider 79Euros a good deal. Most of our past rentals have been under 60 Euros for unlimited miles and much much cheaper for longer term rentals (last year we paid $600 total for an 18 day rental in Italy. As to next spring we spent a few minutes looking at a few sources and the prices do seem too high. So, we will wait until after New Years when many of the rental car companies, and the discount consolidators, re-establish their rates for the spring and summer.

Hank

• 1 month later...

You are looking at a MAJOR holiday period in Europe. That week is Acension Day holiday, and a lot of Europeans have the week off, in Catholic countries they have almost 3 weeks off. You ma be a little early to book a great rate. Just keep looking. Also consider that you might be eligible for all kinds of discounts if you have AA-membership, Frequent Flyer miles etc.

Good point on discount codes. I looked for one on the internet and found one for europecar and it saved me more than 20 euros over the price argus was charging. Everyone should note that cars with automatic transmission cost much more. The lowest I could find in Marseille was 158 euros for a 4-door Renault with automatic.

When we rent for a day or two we typically avoid the large rental companies in NA and use a European brand such as Sixt. They are often considerably less expensive. For longer rentals, we always use a well known auto rental broker whose name combines auto and europe. We find booking on US sites to be the most expensive...just our experience. We prefer renting standards in Europe. You will pay a hefty surcharge for automatic transmission because they are not common in many areas.

When we rent for a day or two we typically avoid the large rental companies in NA and use a European brand such as Sixt. They are often considerably less expensive. For longer rentals, we always use a well known auto rental broker whose name combines auto and europe. We find booking on US sites to be the most expensive...just our experience. We prefer renting standards in Europe. You will pay a hefty surcharge for automatic transmission because they are not common in many areas.

No reason to be shy about recommending Autoeurope here on CC. We have often used this company for longer term rentals (they have a 3 day minimum). Another related fact is about another similar company called Kemwel. Both Autoeurope and Kemwel operate out of the same US office in Maine and seem to have the same parent company. But, they also seem to negotiate their own annual contracts with the majors such as Hertz and Europcar. So it pays to carefully check both companies to see if one has a better deal. For example 2 years ago we did an 18 day rental in Italy and Autoeurope had rentals with Hertz that had a pretty high deductable while Kemwel had essentially the same rental deal with a zero deductable. It usually pays to shop around.

Hank

No reason to be shy about recommending Autoeurope here on CC. We have often used this company for longer term rentals (they have a 3 day minimum). It usually pays to shop around. Hank

Agree strongly with wise Hank on both . . . AutoEurope and shopping around. We have used that firm many, many times in Europe for land trips, but they do have that three-day minimum that knocks them out for one-day port/shore trips. We did a cruise in early July 2010 along the Norway Coast and we did three different car rentals during that trip. It takes some searching to find some of the local firms and/or things in a reasonable manner. Not always easy or cheap. Keep searching, get something booked now and then check back as rates might drop and/or a better option can come up. A manual shift works fine for us. The rates, however, are much, much higher for cars with automatics as that supply is more limited in Europe.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,925 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Keep in mind that car rental prices change as often as hotel prices. On several occasions we have booked with AutoEurope or with local agencies for a short rental and then enjoyed price decreases or car upgrades as the vendor adjusted prices to reflect supply and demand.

I think another issue with car rentals in Marseille is actually getting to the company's rental offices/lots. That can add time and money to the day.

I was at 160 euros for the rental. But I figured after other fees, gas, parking, and round trip taxi to the rental agency, I was looking at 260 euros for the day. I am thinking that I am better off with a driver guide for 420 euros for the day and get more time in Provence without worrying about logistics such as getting to rental agency, doing paperwork at agency, parking car, filling up with gas, and returning car, and then getting back to the ship. I guess part of my problem is that I cannot drive manual transmission cars. :o

We actually convinced a few friends that, for those who plan on regular travel to Europe, it pays to learn how to drive a manual at home..even if it means spending a few dollars for a driving school. Its a skill like riding a bike (once you have it you never lose it) and will pay big dividends for those who rent cars in Europe. We have actually found places in Europe (particularly in Italy) where there were no automatics available at any price.

Hank

Archived