Americans on MSC

Satincruz

Grinchh, you can usually expect to be treated the same way as you treat others ... so when you dish out an insulting remark like "Urgently go by ophthalmologist" don't be surprised when you get the sort of response you did.

My comment refers to "I didn't see ". If not understood the joke then sorry

... If not understood the joke then sorry

I understood the context perfectly ... but what you see as funny, others might see as an insult.

Perhaps we're starting to understand the basis of the animosity here ... it's not "MSC culture" after all ... they're just having a "joke". :D

:)

We will be on the Poesia for 3 weeks starting 12/12. This will make

8 cruises with MSC.

We have enjoyed everyone of the 5 previous sailings.

We found the entertainment staff --great.

We were on Celebrity Constallation for 2 weeks over T/Giving the entertainment staff were invisable.

Ooops!!!better check my spelling before I submit this.

Kathy & Buck:):)

We will be on the Poesia for 3 weeks starting 12/12. This will make

8 cruises with MSC.

We have enjoyed everyone of the 5 previous sailings.

We found the entertainment staff --great.

We were on Celebrity Constallation for 2 weeks over T/Giving the entertainment staff were invisable.

Ooops!!!better check my spelling before I submit this.

Kathy & Buck:):)

NICE! 3 weeks. Enjoy!

See you on your last week.

we will be on the poesia for 3 weeks starting 12/12. This will make

8 cruises with msc.

we have enjoyed everyone of the 5 previous sailings.

we found the entertainment staff --great.

we were on celebrity constallation for 2 weeks over t/giving the entertainment staff were invisable.

ooops!!!better check my spelling before i submit this.

kathy & buck:):)

yep:d

Satincruz -A very good and detailed resume. I think you left out something. MSC in the US is different to MSC in Europe. For example I think in the US tap water is served with dinner and the buffet is open for longer.

Regarding the poor food. The thing is that much of the Italian Food eaten in the US is very different to the food eaten in Italy. We are used to real Italian Food and we all enjoyed the dinners. Remember that Italians are very fussy and knowledgeable on food. If the food was really poor there would be a mutiny on board. :D

Wow Satincruz, you hit the nail on the head. I agree with all your points - everything you said is true. I just hope that certain of our American CC members can tolerate the truth. Sailing MSC or any other "foreign" cruise line is an experience which one may like or dislike. If you like it, do it again; if you don't, then go on something else next time and don't bellyache because of differences you can't tolerate. I'm an American living in Italy and I've cruised and travelled extensively in Europe. I understand the differences and can live with them no problem. I just wish certain people would be less hostile when confronted with difference! Been there, done that, didn't like it, no problem - would be a good philosophy.

I agree Satincruz hit the nail on the head. I'm from Trinidad & Tobago in the S. Caribbean living in the US, and I'm just like you, I do not belly ache because of differences, I understand them and have no problem with them. I've cruised on both Costa and MSC and would cruise with them in a heart beat again. I've travelled to Europe, Malta,Italy, Gibraltar and Morocco very recently and had no problem coping.

I also think that most European countries don't use the concept of "the customer is always right".

So for Americans, one big thing is that many of the MSC workers won't be as "smiley" and outgoing, as are the crew on NCL and CCL (who are trained to be very smiley).

I find the whole post plausible.

Having dealt with customers over the phone, American, I can say that 95% are reasonable. Occasionally you get someone with a block of 20 or 30 minutes of free time whose only goal in life is to be "important". 95% of the time I was able to pretend to agree that they were important and get rid of them. Anyone who doesn't speak fluent baby-talk will not be able to satisfy these people. I don't think MSC staff are trained in baby-talk.

I suspect the "smiley" thing has to do with the alcohol-centric nature of part of our culture. NCL and Carnival need to push lots of on-board expenses to make up for cheap fares. Here, baby-talk is very helpful. The more people drink the more infantile they become, and the more infantile you treat them the more they drink. Meanwhile the money pours in. MSC doesn't push this aspect. I appreciate that. Others will feel unappreciated.

• 1 month later...
I think I've finally figured out how to partially explain some of the MSC difference.

All of the crew/workers are trained in Europe, by Europeans--and in a way that appeals more to European passengers (since overall, the majority of MSC pax ARE European).

Europeans are generally quieter and more reserved than Americans, so there are very few announcements over the loud speakers. MSC workers are trained to ALSO be quiet and reserved, and specifically NOT to be too friendly. For example, Europeans don't want their waiters/stewards to get too personal/act like they are long-time friends.

And, Europeans eat ONLY at meal times, and usually at the same times every day (thus the "stricter" times for food availability--especially on cruises sailing in Europe). I think that they also like to eat much more leisurely, so dinners can take even up to several hours. And Europeans aren't accustomed to lots of salt and spices and seasoning on their food, so some of the MSC food won't seem tasty enough :eek:

Also Europeans don't need/aren't used to tons and tons of different activity choices, so MSC doesn't offer as many as the American lines do. They DO still have fun things going on at every hour--but maybe just 1 or 2 choices at any given time.

Another big difference is that Europeans aren't in the habit of apologizing for things that aren't their (personal) fault, so the workers aren't going to seem very good at being reassuring and understanding. They will maybe actually seem uncaring or rude, but I don't think they mean to be--they are just communicating in different ways than Americans are used to.

I also think that most European countries don't use the concept of "the customer is always right". MSC workers ARE usually very good about fixing/changing things IF they can. But for things that are just impossible (requesting a cabin change if there are no extra cabins left, or requesting a dining time that is completely full, etc), they can come off as blunt or rude, and not very understanding. To be fair, this style is not unique to MSC nor to Italians, though. I've heard the same thing when in northern Europe. If a customer service person just can't help you for some reason, then they just say so and expect you to leave. They won't spend any time commiserating with you or trying to think up alternate ideas that may work, or anything like this. It's just, "Sorry, can't help you. Next person please."

Now these are just generalities that I've finally deduced after some travel and reading and thought, but maybe they aren't exactly right, so any Europeans out there--feel free to clarify anything I've mistaken.

So for Americans, one big thing is that many of the MSC workers won't be as "smiley" and outgoing, as are the crew on NCL and CCL (who are trained to be very smiley). As for the Italian workers specifically--I also think that they are somewhat self-conscious about their English pronunciation, and so they aren't always excited to speak in English. So if you speak even a little Italian, don't be shy.

These things can make it seem that the workers are standoffish or even conceited. And it can make the overall atmosphere on MSC feel unfriendly, or like something just isn't quite right. But that's just a first impression, though. The workers are trained to stay professional at the start (in the European way), but if you start conversations, it lets them know they can be more friendly and talkative around you. This is what Cam and some others have done, and it makes for a completely different experience.

Anyway, the best advice is to not worry too much about things ahead of time, but just go in with a positive attitude. Things may sometimes seem disorganized or worse, but they do eventually get almost everything worked out well in the end.

And talk to the crew! That's the best way to realize they really don't mean to be rude. Besides, they are really interesting and fun people. I learned a lot from some of them :)

This sums up exactly what I think is the problem, and why so many Americans complain about MSC.... aside from those who just like to complain, that is. I am Canadian (Montreal) and live in a very culturally diverse society, I am actually hoping that sailing with MSC will be less of an 'American' experience... I can't wait!

This sums up exactly what I think is the problem, and why so many Americans complain about MSC.... aside from those who just like to complain, that is. I am Canadian (Montreal) and live in a very culturally diverse society, I am actually hoping that sailing with MSC will be less of an 'American' experience... I can't wait!

Ditto.....while we are american we also love sailing with people from other countries.....i have found a smile works in all languages........have not done MSC yet (we board sunday) but have done 5 on Costa and loved them.......am sure we will find much amore on MSC also.

From QC too and you have hit the nail on the head. Our cultural melting pot mentality has us not only ready but wanting to meet the rest of the world. All the languages, squid on the salad bar, men in speedos, and waiters that don't push you to drink:rolleyes: are what make MSC fun.

Enjoy your cruise!

I know I will.

Thanks for the info ...... you have certainly nailed it in one! Reading the reviews it was a constant thread with regards 'complaints', and I was starting to wonder why.

We have traveled quite a bit and now live in Asia and have always found it to be the Americans that will complain - about anything and everything - just because it is "not the same as it is at home".

My answer to that is "stay at home then!"

If you travel it is to learn about other cultures, how they do things and what other area's are like, if you want it to be the 'same as home" then stay at home and don't waste your time or money going elsewhere and certainly do not complain and upset other, more positive people that enjoy experiencing other cultures and ways of doing things.

To have harmony in this world we need to be more open minded and see the world as others see it too.... one of my thoughts when things are not 'agreeable' to me is:

NOT WRONG / JUST DIFFERENT

So to enjoy our next cruise, we will board with an open mind and enjoy whatever is on offer. They may not do everything the way we are used to, but the end result is that it will be done somehow. If something is not as we expect, then we will deal with it at the time, hopefully in a positive manner without complaining.

But thank you for the post, I feel that I have more understanding now of what to expect. :)

And talk to the crew! That's the best way to realize they really don't mean to be rude. Besides, they are really interesting and fun people. I learned a lot from some of them :)

Excellent post Satincruz. I had a lot of conversations with different crew on the MSC Fantasia last summer and it was very interesting. And they are very interested in talking with their guest as well. :)

I have never cruised with MSC (considering to this summer) so cannot commenton the cruiseline of course, but I totally disagree with the OP's point. Bad customer service and being rude is just the same all over the world. I am from Portugal (this is Europe too) and good hotel managers will go out of their way to please any demand or comment or question put by the customer. And if I was treated with indifference or something as you suggested ("can't help you, next") I would never in my life return to that hotel or restaurant. I expect staff in hotels, restaurants, shops or wherever I go to treat me with extreme courtesy, the same way I will treat them. I don't demand big phoney smiles, or immediate extreme attention, but I expect a smile, a nice word, to be treated correctly, to be answered to my questions with politeness and effort and mostly I expect the service to be excellent. Good hotels are excellent, waiters are extremely polite, restaurant owners will go out of their way to please, hairdressers and spa services have to competent and offer extreme good service, quality, good design, otherwise I simply will not come back. And everyone expects the same. People are polite, food is excellent, and hotels are very well designed with perfect gardens, order, clean, etc.. Otherwise they are bad.

So from what you describe I would definitly consider all that to be extremely bad service and would never return; if staff persistently didn't smile at me, if I asked for a question and was answered "sorry can't help. next", if I was served tasteless food... I would find that to be very bad service. :eek:

One other thing: I would like to remind you that french and italian cuisine are probably considered to be among the best of the world, you will find first class restaurants all over Europe, chefs are payed millionaire salaries and are perfectionists and creative, so how could you find the "less spicey thing" to be an excuse for food beeing less tasty than in the US? :confused: Just try any good or even average restaurant in Europe and tell me it's not that tasty.... :rolleyes:

... Bad customer service and being rude is just the same all over the world. I am from Portugal (this is Europe too) and good hotel managers will go out of their way to please any demand or comment or question put by the customer ...

Lisbon was a port of call on our MSC cruise. Oh how we wish we could have taken some of the fabulous, friendly, courteous, smiling people we met there back on board Poesia to give a lesson in "service".

Satincruz has the correct explaination of the style of cruising on MSC. We cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and by no means are not experts. We enjoyed the no pushing to buy drinks, no announcements, you get your daily newsletter and everything is there that is going on,etc. Food was good, but it does appeal to all cultures, like pickled herring on the buffet for breakfast, things like that, seen the same type of thing in Cuba at all inclusives that cater to Europeans. The staff are not overly friendly chatty, smiling, etc, no big deal for us,but some people enjoy this part of crusing.

In my singular experience on MSC in the Med, I thought the 'service style' was so similar to other lines as to be (if quantified) 'statistically insignificant'. The ambience is different because the passengers are so diverse; also, as one poster pointed out, the ships often take on and discharge passengers at different ports (so there is less omnipresent 'group think'). But I thought the service staff attitude was one of the most consistent aspects of the cruise; it was professional and attentive as to be expected.

In my experience the food was inconsistent. There were a few excellent offerings but also more disappointments (particularly buffet) than I considered typical. But food is highly subjective and also highly variable among ships of all lines.

I think MSC strikes a bit different 'feel', but mainly due to us - the passengers rather than the line. The line has minor differences due to its proper efforts to accommodate bigger blocks of multi-lingual passengers.

In 4 cruises with msc i have always found the service and food to be very good to excellent.. i cant wait to get on the magnifica next month and have lasagne in bechamel sauce and swordfish medallians and one desert that i cant remeber the name of but was awesome and the bean soups and the bread and the awesome pizza, even the pizza with tuna on it...

on all 4 cruises we have had a ball with the entertainment team and plan on doing the same again...Getting to know these kids you get a real "insight" on what they have to deal with on a consistant basis with multi cultural passengers and why they sometimes distance themselves from certain cultures..They can be quite funny on how they describe mannerisms of different groups of people from around the world...I like the buffets on msc,am not going to rave about them and ironically one of the best buffet items i have had was shepards pie(definatley not an italian dish)..love the pastas and fish too..

i really llike the original post and think there is a lot (although) streotyped truth to a lot of the statements.....now cmon magnifica on march 8th...cant wait!:cool:

I am always amazed at how the same ship (and even the same exact cruise) can be great for some people and massively suck for other people. While in Ocho Rios on the Costa Atlantica last month we saw the Poesia moored in the harbor. My girlfriend mentioned how she was on her (the Poesia) last year and said how the staff were absolutely unfriendly (and non-English speaking), how the food sucked, and just was a crappy experience all-around. I mentioned this to my coworker, and he said that he was on a cruise on the Poesia last year (or maybe more time ago) and said that he loves MSC and loved being on the Poesia. It's not a cultural difference, my gf is a Costa Pearl and loves sailing with them, so is used the European experience.

EJKorvette

I am always amazed at how the same ship (and even the same exact cruise) can be great for some people and massively suck for other people. While in Ocho Rios on the Costa Atlantica last month we saw the Poesia moored in the harbor. My girlfriend mentioned how she was on her (the Poesia) last year and said how the staff were absolutely unfriendly (and non-English speaking), how the food sucked, and just was a crappy experience all-around. I mentioned this to my coworker, and he said that he was on a cruise on the Poesia last year (or maybe more time ago) and said that he loves MSC and loved being on the Poesia. It's not a cultural difference, my gf is a Costa Pearl and loves sailing with them, so is used the European experience.

EJKorvette

Yes, and we absolutely loved going on a Celebrity cruise (american, I think) and then read the worst review you can dream of, of the exact same date/itinerary from an american girl who was on the same ship as we were but apparently experienced it as a totally different experience.

There are allways things that aren't perfect and if you are on a bad day/week/month/year/whatever, then it can really annoy you whereas sometimes you're in such good mood that even sloppy/tacky things can look amusing and you just turn around to have some more fun somewhere else...

Archived