Americans on MSC

Satincruz

I think I've finally figured out how to partially explain some of the MSC difference.

All of the crew/workers are trained in Europe, by Europeans--and in a way that appeals more to European passengers (since overall, the majority of MSC pax ARE European).

Europeans are generally quieter and more reserved than Americans, so there are very few announcements over the loud speakers. MSC workers are trained to ALSO be quiet and reserved, and specifically NOT to be too friendly. For example, Europeans don't want their waiters/stewards to get too personal/act like they are long-time friends.

And, Europeans eat ONLY at meal times, and usually at the same times every day (thus the "stricter" times for food availability--especially on cruises sailing in Europe). I think that they also like to eat much more leisurely, so dinners can take even up to several hours. And Europeans aren't accustomed to lots of salt and spices and seasoning on their food, so some of the MSC food won't seem tasty enough :eek:

Also Europeans don't need/aren't used to tons and tons of different activity choices, so MSC doesn't offer as many as the American lines do. They DO still have fun things going on at every hour--but maybe just 1 or 2 choices at any given time.

Another big difference is that Europeans aren't in the habit of apologizing for things that aren't their (personal) fault, so the workers aren't going to seem very good at being reassuring and understanding. They will maybe actually seem uncaring or rude, but I don't think they mean to be--they are just communicating in different ways than Americans are used to.

I also think that most European countries don't use the concept of "the customer is always right". MSC workers ARE usually very good about fixing/changing things IF they can. But for things that are just impossible (requesting a cabin change if there are no extra cabins left, or requesting a dining time that is completely full, etc), they can come off as blunt or rude, and not very understanding. To be fair, this style is not unique to MSC nor to Italians, though. I've heard the same thing when in northern Europe. If a customer service person just can't help you for some reason, then they just say so and expect you to leave. They won't spend any time commiserating with you or trying to think up alternate ideas that may work, or anything like this. It's just, "Sorry, can't help you. Next person please."

Now these are just generalities that I've finally deduced after some travel and reading and thought, but maybe they aren't exactly right, so any Europeans out there--feel free to clarify anything I've mistaken.

So for Americans, one big thing is that many of the MSC workers won't be as "smiley" and outgoing, as are the crew on NCL and CCL (who are trained to be very smiley). As for the Italian workers specifically--I also think that they are somewhat self-conscious about their English pronunciation, and so they aren't always excited to speak in English. So if you speak even a little Italian, don't be shy.

These things can make it seem that the workers are standoffish or even conceited. And it can make the overall atmosphere on MSC feel unfriendly, or like something just isn't quite right. But that's just a first impression, though. The workers are trained to stay professional at the start (in the European way), but if you start conversations, it lets them know they can be more friendly and talkative around you. This is what Cam and some others have done, and it makes for a completely different experience.

Anyway, the best advice is to not worry too much about things ahead of time, but just go in with a positive attitude. Things may sometimes seem disorganized or worse, but they do eventually get almost everything worked out well in the end.

And talk to the crew! That's the best way to realize they really don't mean to be rude. Besides, they are really interesting and fun people. I learned a lot from some of them :)

Wow Satincruz, you hit the nail on the head. I agree with all your points - everything you said is true. I just hope that certain of our American CC members can tolerate the truth. Sailing MSC or any other "foreign" cruise line is an experience which one may like or dislike. If you like it, do it again; if you don't, then go on something else next time and don't bellyache because of differences you can't tolerate. I'm an American living in Italy and I've cruised and travelled extensively in Europe. I understand the differences and can live with them no problem. I just wish certain people would be less hostile when confronted with difference! Been there, done that, didn't like it, no problem - would be a good philosophy.

Satincruz made quite good points. We are going for our first bigger cruise on January and chose MSC for the "non-american" atmosphere.

We are from Finland and don't like personnel pampering us too much. We know how we want to spend our vacation and don't need guiding all the time. Of course we expect good and polite service but don't like personnel beeing too "pushy". If we have something to ask them - we ask it ourselves - don't need it told all the time automatically.

We have had never problems abroad with other nationalities - like "arrogant" italians. We have managed well - you just have to take your own place - as they do it also and they will also respect that.

We are foodies and wine lovers and for us MSC selection suited out fine. We have seen some menus and they sound really great - if they are true italian cookery. I like to have authentic food on vacation and don't want it "pimped for the tourists".

Satincruz made quite good points. We are going for our first bigger cruise on January and chose MSC for the "non-american" atmosphere.

We are from Finland and don't like personnel pampering us too much. We know how we want to spend our vacation and don't need guiding all the time. Of course we expect good and polite service but don't like personnel beeing too "pushy". If we have something to ask them - we ask it ourselves - don't need it told all the time automatically.

We have had never problems abroad with other nationalities - like "arrogant" italians. We have managed well - you just have to take your own place - as they do it also and they will also respect that.

We are foodies and wine lovers and for us MSC selection suited out fine. We have seen some menus and they sound really great - if they are true italian cookery. I like to have authentic food on vacation and don't want it "pimped for the tourists".

We're going on our first MSC cruise tomorrow.... so we'll report back.

I'm European, DH is American, but had travelled extensively.

At nthe moment we're in the hotel in Florida, excited about the next 10 days.

We'll report back.

Thanks for posting this, there is a lot of negativity on this site regarding MSC and I think you put things in a better perspective for us. We will be going on our second cruise in a couple weeks, first one on MSC. When DH and I saw all of the negative posts we decided not to let it worry us. I can't understand how anyone could have a truly "bad" cruise. Having only been on one we don't have a lot of experience, but unless the ship sinks I think we'll be walking away happy and wishing it weren't over :D

Nice to see some positive comments.

We are flying across the world for a different experience - if not, we would have stayed at home.

I think the secret to a good trip is to do your homework and then arrive with an open mind. If you dont enjoy it then dont go back!

Personally, we are looking forward to the "Italian" experience.:)

Skipal

Back in the 70's we sailed on the Oceanic which was a Home Lines ship at the time.All Italian crew and they were wonderful.We had sailed from NYC so that presented some issues for the crew because of very demanding passengers.We were playing bingo and one guy must have felt that the crew member selling the cards was too slow so he whistled at him,the guy put the cards he was carring down went to the guy that whistled and told him he was no dog and don't call me like a dog then he proceded around the room selling cards and ended with him.The next morning we went up to our deck chairs(you bought them back then and your name was on them ) And the crew member selling the bingo cards was our deck steward as he seated us and got towels the whistler and family showed up Mario the deck steward fawned over us and ignored the other guy.It was a riot.But it also shows that sometimes we might feel a little more intitled because we payed to be here.

Inflexible "My Way or the Highway!" minded cruisers will be happier on other lines.

Hahaha ... that made me laugh because "My Way or the Highway!" are exactly the words I used to describe some of the staff on Poesia. Some staff were brilliant in the way they treated us ... but that seemed to change markedly the further up the ladder of responsibility they were.

Wow Satincruz, you hit the nail on the head. I agree with all your points - everything you said is true. I just hope that certain of our American CC members can tolerate the truth. Sailing MSC or any other "foreign" cruise line is an experience which one may like or dislike. If you like it, do it again; if you don't, then go on something else next time and don't bellyache because of differences you can't tolerate. I'm an American living in Italy and I've cruised and travelled extensively in Europe. I understand the differences and can live with them no problem. I just wish certain people would be less hostile when confronted with difference! Been there, done that, didn't like it, no problem - would be a good philosophy.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Capricruiser :) I was a bit worried at first, if I'd be able to sum up all of the differences.

Part of the problem here has been that many US travel agents haven't sailed on MSC yet/aren't familiar with MSC culture/don't realize that is IS different--and so they aren't able to explain it to new MSC cruisers ...

Thanks for posting this, there is a lot of negativity on this site regarding MSC and I think you put things in a better perspective for us. We will be going on our second cruise in a couple weeks, first one on MSC. When DH and I saw all of the negative posts we decided not to let it worry us. I can't understand how anyone could have a truly "bad" cruise. Having only been on one we don't have a lot of experience, but unless the ship sinks I think we'll be walking away happy and wishing it weren't over :D

You are welcome--this is the very thing I was most hoping to do, help Americans to better know what to expect.

And that is the best way you can go into it, too. Before I went on MSC, the boards and reviews were running the same way. I literally read them right up until the night before we got on the ship, and they kept coming up negative. But I went with a hopeful attitude, and everything worked out fine--I really enjoyed the cruise. I hope/think you will have the same experience.

Nice to see some positive comments.

We are flying across the world for a different experience - if not, we would have stayed at home.

I think the secret to a good trip is to do your homework and then arrive with an open mind. If you dont enjoy it then dont go back!

Personally, we are looking forward to the "Italian" experience.:)

Skipal

THIS is also a perfect attitude! As far as the "Italian experience", there really are many little things about MSC that make it a unique (in a good way) cruise. Things I know I'll really miss, if I sail a different line in the future.

We were terrified when reading the reviews before our Orchestra cruise and in fact some of the people we booked with chose to cancel. As Canadians we thought the experience was marvelous and found that all complainers were American, they were expecting an identical cruise to what they had experienced on other cruise lines.

We speak French and understand some Spanish, we meet lots of people from other countries and most were very satisfied.

As you can see, we are taking MSC again, this time looking forward to the differences and particularly the amazing Gelato.

Thanks to the OP for trying to put this all in perspective.

Monicajay: I remember you and so many of the horrible posts back when Orchestra caused so many people to not give MSC a chance. The major differences are what has been said here, and is what I have been saying for years. But I do not find them unfriendly and waiting for me to first talk. I walk down the hallways and when a cabin steward passes me, they say hi and have a nice day to me. When I walk down the stairs and see the man polishing the brass I say hi, and then every time I see him he says HI back to me. If I pass an officer he will smile and say Hello.I do feel they like to stay in the background unless they know you will be ok with the interaction. But then again, we have never treated any service person with any disrespect or any negativity. We give respect to every one we come in contact with. I have witnessed others yelling at staff, so I am sure they do not project the same happy aura around them to get the staff to say hello to them.

I am glad others are finding out what a gem MSC can be. I was ready though for a non traditional cruise, after all the "americanized" cruises we took. We just find MSC to be gracious in spirit. I also found that this past cruise the staff was more English speaking with the addition of Michael as co cruise director. I also found more English speaking South African women at the reception desk, as well as the excursion area. I think they are really trying to bridge the language gap.

Happy cruising to all!

Where I'm from, if the customers aren't happy it's considered a problem.

Very true. Trouble is how do you keep all customers happy when they want different things. If MSC were to change to suit North American tatses, then they would no doubt alienate their core customer base.

Very true. Trouble is how do you keep all customers happy when they want different things. If MSC were to change to suit North American tatses, then they would no doubt alienate their core customer base.

For the European cruises this hits the nail on the head! Why should they appeal to things that only North American cruisers value? That is not their core customer base. And for the cruises in North America they adjust to suit a wider audience - but it is still different than the other mass markets.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found 2 really good web articles that explain even more differences.

They refer to land travel in Europe, but will also be of help in understanding the MSC culture:

http://toolkit.bootsnall.com/how-to-travel-guide/american-standards-and-european-culture-how-to-avoid-a-disappointing-vacation-experience-while-traveling-in-europe.html

http://www.reidsguides.com/t_di/t_di_norms.html

Good research Satincruz. I enjoyed reading both articles and can attest that everything said is true. I hope certain of our most outspoken CC members on the forum will see them. Many don't realize how MSC tries to pamper passengers on its Caribbean cruises with food, games and perks that don't exist in the European sailings. Lobster in the Caribbean may be poorly prepared for some, but when's the last time we've seen lobster on the menu over here?!! Evening buffet, free ice cream, free water vouchers, toga nights, special American menus, etc, etc., are only on the Caribbean cruises. I'll bet they do doggy bags too!

I've found 2 really good web articles that explain even more differences.

They refer to land travel in Europe, but will also be of help in understanding the MSC culture:

http://toolkit.bootsnall.com/how-to-travel-guide/american-standards-and-european-culture-how-to-avoid-a-disappointing-vacation-experience-while-traveling-in-europe.html

http://www.reidsguides.com/t_di/t_di_norms.html

I didn't see anything that explains the common complaints found here, poor food and customer service don't see to be as European as you suggest.

Sure, I'll drop you off at English Grammar class on the way:D

My language is not English. We can talk in French or German. Of course if you know

Spelling & Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users.

... Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users ...

Grinchh, you can usually expect to be treated the same way as you treat others ... so when you dish out an insulting remark like "Urgently go by ophthalmologist" don't be surprised when you get the sort of response you did.

Archived