Americans on MSC

Satincruz

Yes, and we absolutely loved going on a Celebrity cruise (american, I think) and then read the worst review you can dream of, of the exact same date/itinerary from an american girl who was on the same ship as we were but apparently experienced it as a totally different experience.

There are allways things that aren't perfect and if you are on a bad day/week/month/year/whatever, then it can really annoy you whereas sometimes you're in such good mood that even sloppy/tacky things can look amusing and you just turn around to have some more fun somewhere else...

You are quite correct, and if you had a good time or bad, the experience is still very real to you and no amount of posts to the contrary on CC will ever convince you otherwise.

You are quite correct, and if you had a good time or bad, the experience is still very real to you and no amount of posts to the contrary on CC will ever convince you otherwise.

And I even have pictures to prove it :D

I just kind of secretly blushed thinking "how can I be so less demanding?" :o

• 4 weeks later...
I think I've finally figured out how to partially explain some of the MSC difference.

All of the crew/workers are trained in Europe, by Europeans--and in a way that appeals more to European passengers (since overall, the majority of MSC pax ARE European).

Europeans are generally quieter and more reserved than Americans, so there are very few announcements over the loud speakers. MSC workers are trained to ALSO be quiet and reserved, and specifically NOT to be too friendly. For example, Europeans don't want their waiters/stewards to get too personal/act like they are long-time friends.

And, Europeans eat ONLY at meal times, and usually at the same times every day (thus the "stricter" times for food availability--especially on cruises sailing in Europe). I think that they also like to eat much more leisurely, so dinners can take even up to several hours. And Europeans aren't accustomed to lots of salt and spices and seasoning on their food, so some of the MSC food won't seem tasty enough :eek:

Also Europeans don't need/aren't used to tons and tons of different activity choices, so MSC doesn't offer as many as the American lines do. They DO still have fun things going on at every hour--but maybe just 1 or 2 choices at any given time.

Another big difference is that Europeans aren't in the habit of apologizing for things that aren't their (personal) fault, so the workers aren't going to seem very good at being reassuring and understanding. They will maybe actually seem uncaring or rude, but I don't think they mean to be--they are just communicating in different ways than Americans are used to.

I also think that most European countries don't use the concept of "the customer is always right". MSC workers ARE usually very good about fixing/changing things IF they can. But for things that are just impossible (requesting a cabin change if there are no extra cabins left, or requesting a dining time that is completely full, etc), they can come off as blunt or rude, and not very understanding. To be fair, this style is not unique to MSC nor to Italians, though. I've heard the same thing when in northern Europe. If a customer service person just can't help you for some reason, then they just say so and expect you to leave. They won't spend any time commiserating with you or trying to think up alternate ideas that may work, or anything like this. It's just, "Sorry, can't help you. Next person please."

Now these are just generalities that I've finally deduced after some travel and reading and thought, but maybe they aren't exactly right, so any Europeans out there--feel free to clarify anything I've mistaken.

So for Americans, one big thing is that many of the MSC workers won't be as "smiley" and outgoing, as are the crew on NCL and CCL (who are trained to be very smiley). As for the Italian workers specifically--I also think that they are somewhat self-conscious about their English pronunciation, and so they aren't always excited to speak in English. So if you speak even a little Italian, don't be shy.

These things can make it seem that the workers are standoffish or even conceited. And it can make the overall atmosphere on MSC feel unfriendly, or like something just isn't quite right. But that's just a first impression, though. The workers are trained to stay professional at the start (in the European way), but if you start conversations, it lets them know they can be more friendly and talkative around you. This is what Cam and some others have done, and it makes for a completely different experience.

Anyway, the best advice is to not worry too much about things ahead of time, but just go in with a positive attitude. Things may sometimes seem disorganized or worse, but they do eventually get almost everything worked out well in the end.

And talk to the crew! That's the best way to realize they really don't mean to be rude. Besides, they are really interesting and fun people. I learned a lot from some of them :)

SO... if I learn to think like a European, develop the eating habits of Europeans, foster the same attitudes that a European might have, mimick the social habits of Europeans, etc... THEN I'll enjoy cruising with MSC? Oh, okay. I kid (sort of). I could buy all of this if I had been sailing on MSC in Europe, or the Mediteranean. In that event, it goes without saying. But on cruises in the U.S. and Caribbean, wouldn't it make more sense for the crew and staff to be sensitive to American and Canadien idiosyncracies, rather than the other way around? After all, they are the hosts and we are the guests. It all sounds like rationalization to me.

I live in the Med and have never been to America.

I've watched millions of American films and TV programmes and am always surprised at how friendly and outgoing staff at bars, shops, supermarkets, taxi drivers etc etc are. Customers are greeted as if they are personal friends and the staff are thrilled to see them. You'd never find a European telling a stranger 'Have a nice day'.

It's amazing how different the two cultures are and Satincruz summed it up well.

My very first cruise was on NCL and so found everyone ultra friendly and cheerful. I was welcomed aboard as if I was a Latitude Gold passenger. I must admit that it did add to the holiday spirit.

MSC can serve tap water with dinner and keep the buffet open for longer hours when sailing in the US. But they can't just tell the crew to change their attitude.

[quote=hat776;28402030

MSC can serve tap water with dinner and keep the buffet open for longer hours when sailing in the US. But they can't just tell the crew to change their attitude.

I used to visit the States a lot when my brother lived there and found it all very different. yes friendlier but also in some ways too intrusive.

I'd be interested to hear the experiences of anyone who has been with an American line in both the US and Europe to hear how much adaptation they make when in Europe compared to the US. I get the impression (though could be wrong) that it remains an American product?

AmoMondo, we have sailed Princess, Celebrity and RCCL, and NCl in Europe, the Far East and South America and never saw a different attitude than when in US waters. The line dictates the actions of the ships and a US ship is just that. The only time we noticed a different attitude in Europe was on Cunard/Royal Viking Vistafijord in Italy and Greece and of course that is a British Line and very "smart"!

I don't think any American ship changes it's attitude when in Europe. The ship and its crew remain American through and through. Mind you I see nothing wrong in that.

Regarding Cunard - although the atmosphere is VERY upper class British, as far as I know it's not British owned any more but is American owned.

I used to visit the States a lot when my brother lived there and found it all very different. yes friendlier but also in some ways too intrusive.

I'd be interested to hear the experiences of anyone who has been with an American line in both the US and Europe to hear how much adaptation they make when in Europe compared to the US. I get the impression (though could be wrong) that it remains an American product?

American lines are pretty much the same around the world in our experience, there are some different food offerings when in European waters such as beans on the breakfast table and kettle in the cabin but overall not much different.

I live in the Med and have never been to America.

I've watched millions of American films and TV programmes and am always surprised at how friendly and outgoing staff at bars, shops, supermarkets, taxi drivers etc etc are. Customers are greeted as if they are personal friends and the staff are thrilled to see them. You'd never find a European telling a stranger 'Have a nice day'.

It's amazing how different the two cultures are and Satincruz summed it up well.

My very first cruise was on NCL and so found everyone ultra friendly and cheerful. I was welcomed aboard as if I was a Latitude Gold passenger. I must admit that it did add to the holiday spirit.

I like your comment, hat776 :) I was trying to speak for Europeans, but I don't have enough everyday experience there, to do it well. And like you say, there are some very noticeable differences. The same way that you are surprised about so much friendliness by Americans, I'm surprised that Europeans generally won't be that friendly to strangers. And even though I understand it intellectually, sometimes it is still hard not to take it personally in the moment.

But I do know of at least one exception--Spaniards. I've visited several times, and I've been repeatedly impressed with how friendly and even proactively helpful they are.

I don't agree with this. I found ALL the MSC staff I came in contact with to be extremely friendly, helpful and out going from the cabin attendent ( a lady from Romania, our waiters (from Italy) and the entertainment staff Mexico-etc.as well as the cruise directors. Even the Captain went out of his way to welcome us in the swimming area bar. I noticed no difference in attitude from our American cruises. Perhaps a little golden rule applies here. There are plenty of 'unfriendly' (we require our 'space'!) Americans. And on the flight home from Madrid there were 4 or 5 very obnixious young Spandards keeping everyone awake (in business class no less) even after the flight attendants asked them to quiet down on several occasions. People are people I guess regardless of nationality/ upbringing.

We are Americans and we LOVE MSC! I do agree though that it isn't for everyone. We go for the European differences and like the cultural experience.

We are looking so forward to our 3rd sailing with them this June.

In Sep 2009 there was a thread regarding someone's experience on the Splendida with emphasis on Malta. A number of us made the thread a real success. There were Americans contributing who all enjoyed their MSC experience.

• 10 months later...

Been on the MSC Poesia last week Feb 11-18 2012, and what an experience that was. Yes I read all the posts and do agree to disagree. Case in point when you enter a buffet line, you do not shove your way through and not say excuse me in your language or enter the theater late and come into a seat and barge through, without saying something. I offered to get up and let someone into a seat and I could not move fast enough for the impatient and rude Europeans.

The staff are dimwits( No English whatsoever. Do they not leave from Ft Lauderdale, Florida USA. You ask them a simple question and they look at you like you have 3 heads. Or they just say NO or refer you to the reception desk. Do they wear blinders and just do not think? No manners either. ie..will not hold a door open for you or help you. Manners are Manners and if want American people to come on their cruise-ship, bend a little or leave from the Caribbean and not the USA.

I've found 2 really good web articles that explain even more differences.

They refer to land travel in Europe, but will also be of help in understanding the MSC culture:

http://toolkit.bootsnall.com/how-to-travel-guide/american-standards-and-european-culture-how-to-avoid-a-disappointing-vacation-experience-while-traveling-in-europe.html

http://www.reidsguides.com/t_di/t_di_norms.html

Great Articles! Learned this on my trip to Quebec. First MSC cruise this December. Just located this post. Good enough to repeat...

I saw a review of different cruise lines in a Swedish newspaper. They were very fond of MSC because the staff were nice and considerate and not IN YOUR FACE all the time. At least in the north of Europe it is not considered polite to put on a big (plastic) smile and pretend that you have known someone for years when you first meet them. Such behaviour wouldn't be friendly, it would be creepy.

I will be on my first cruise ever in April, with the MSC, and from what I have read so far I think they will suit me and my family very well, letting us decide for ourselves if we need help with something or if we just want to be left alone. Of course I don't have any personal experience of it yet, but I will come back with a review after the cruise. :)

I saw a review of different cruise lines in a Swedish newspaper. They were very fond of MSC because the staff were nice and considerate and not IN YOUR FACE all the time. At least in the north of Europe it is not considered polite to put on a big (plastic) smile and pretend that you have known someone for years when you first meet them. Such behaviour wouldn't be friendly, it would be creepy. :)

Well as a North European, I agree with that. I find the "American" service style way too intrusive, insincere and I don't want someone who I've never met before acting like they are my new best chum. I enjoy the more reserved style on MSC. That's not to say they are unfriendly. Once you get to know them/they know you, it can become genuinely friendly. I've had crew recognise me from previous cruises and clearly remember stuff I'd told them previously e.g did your nephew like his football shirt you got him or only a little ice in your G&T!

I'm an American living in the Middle East and I loved MSC.

Good service, Italian food as it should be, not from the Mom and Pop round the corner. Crusing is crusing, not an amusement park on the sea.

And nobody turning mealtime into a prayer service, making people of different faiths feel squeemish (I did see some quiet saying grace, but none of this very inconsiderate lets all join hands stuff).

I'm an American living in the Middle East and I loved MSC.

Good service, Italian food as it should be, not from the Mom and Pop round the corner. Crusing is crusing, not an amusement park on the sea.

And nobody turning mealtime into a prayer service, making people of different faiths feel squeemish (I did see some quiet saying grace, but none of this very inconsiderate lets all join hands stuff).

Oh my God! (so to speak.)Does that really happen on other cruises? I am becoming more and more sure that I have picked the right cruise line. That would again be something that is considered creepy in Northern Europe. Assuming that people you just met want to join in on your particular religious ceremonies would be seen as quite intrusive. I would assume that it is mostly Christians who do this. It would be much more fun if a muslim or maybe a satanist tried it though, since I guess most Americans would see it differently then. (not meaning that all Americans are the same, just talking about people that assume that others want to join in on tjere particular religious ceremonies)

Have been on lots of "American" cruises never saw any "prayer" hand holding stuff...no need to spread misinformation

Americans are friendly I think. We like others to be friendly.

I thought all the crew/staff on Poesia was nice, maybe a bit reserved,

most are Indonesian. The only "unfriendly" ones were the "front desk" staff who were just rude and cold, but very well dressed LOL

(maybe Italian designed suits?? )

Have been on lots of "American" cruises never saw any "prayer" hand holding stuff...no need to spread misinformation

I've never seen that either. However, if people at our table bowed their heads and silently prayed, it wouldn't bother me. I can't imagine that they'd ask the whole table to join in. As I said, I've never seen this and haven't even read about it here, except for the prior poster. How many cruises have you seen this on, Marion Poo?

Archived